Pain, gain and fame

Name
Neil
Edit My Images
No
I'm at the stage now where I get some likes/favs on flickr or Facebook feel good but then feel I want and need more! I'm an egotistical fool that feeds on acceptance of my photos but after I have done them I hate them. I very rarely go back loving anything. Help!

I liked your post to feed your craving :LOL:

If it's making you want to create more work of a higher quality and giving you the drive then what's the harm. Just don't let that mentality take over your life! The self loathing artist isn't a new thing, you're joining the ranks of many greats so you're in good company :LOL:

I'm at the stage now where I get some likes/favs on flickr or Facebook feel good but then feel I want and need more! I'm an egotistical fool that feeds on acceptance of my photos but after I have done them I hate them. I very rarely go back loving anything. Help!

So you're creating images just to get likes?

Seriously.... who cares whether you get likes on Flickr. I could take pictures of my laundry basket and get likes... people will like anything. Facebook? Are you kidding? People like anything on there. I could post a message saying "You're all bast**ds, and I hate you all" and it will get likes.

The danger of the path you are walking is that you end up shooting what will get the most likes, whether you want to or not, and getting likes becomes the actual reason for shooting. You'll end up getting more satisfaction from sitting there uploading your images and waiting for the likes to start rolling in than you did from creating them. Once that happens, you're no longer a photographer really.

Go tell the world to **** off, then go and shoot what you really want to shoot. Spend some time getting proper critique on your images and stop judging them by how many likes they get. The images that get the most likes on Flickr all look the ****ing same: Dramatic landscapes, cute animals, birds on twigs, flowers, stuff shot 'contre jour', travel 'portraits', HDR crap and such shizzle.

Let's see..... I'm gonna launch Flickr.... click on Explore.... close my eyes and randomly scroll blind, then screen grab where I land...

View attachment 37000

If you want likes.... just go and do that stuff.... that is all explored stuff... so thousands of likes up for grabs for you right there.

That shot of the engine nacelle at night is pretty cool though :)

Last edited:
OMG - you just closed your eyes and randomly scrolled blind, then screen grabbed where you landed and you got that lot - you are so talented - where's the like button? :runaway:

Me thinks you are completely missing the point :)

Are you seriously saying that your enjoyment of photography comes from the number of random strangers who give you 'likes'? How old are you?

I think you need to get out more ...... and to be blunt, a combination of ego and insecurity isn't terribly attractive.

Look, I dislike plenty of my photos, but I take them for a reason - and they successfully fulfil their intent. And I really don't give a f*ck about who does or doesn't like them, unless those people happen to be my clients, the places I exhibit, or the judges of the competitions I enter - because those things have very defined purposes.

If you dislike your images then identify why, and decide if you want to do something about it. If you feel they're not good enough, then work towards improving. If, like me, you're indifferent at times because they represent an overworked schedule and demanding clients, then see what you can do to break the negative association. But you need to decide why you're taking those pictures in the first place - if it's your hobby, then the idea is that you enjoy it. If you want to become a professional, then progress and improvement should be part of your goals - and you will be shooting for other people most of the time, rather than yourself, so you'll need to lose the over attachment you seem to have to your photos.

I only take photos for my own pleasure. I may post them on F/B, Instagram or flickr for my friends and family to see. It's nice to get a like or comment, but it's not the be all and end all, if I don't.
Every now and then I will have a cull of photos on my computer that I don't need or like any more.
My photos are a record of things I've been doing and stuff I'm interested in. I like them to look right and show some sort of photographic competence, as long as I'm happy with them, then that's what matters really. It would be a different matter of cause if I was being paid by somebody.
A bad photo is one YOU don't like, not some stranger. I sometimes look at photos on flickr and think " I can't see the point in this photo" but it might mean something to the photographer. But that doesn't make me like it.
So free up you photography and take photos for you and not everyone else.

Thanks for the words of support and encouragement and some damn right blunt comments :)
Don't worry i am still here and haven't walked off a cliff yet. Im still plodding on.

Im still get some likes still get some haters and still taking photos. Although i havent for a few days.

Thanks for the words of support and encouragement and some damn right blunt comments :)
Don't worry i am still here and haven't walked off a cliff yet. Im still plodding on.

Im still get some likes still get some haters and still taking photos. Although i havent for a few days.

Remember that the haters are usually people who are either jealous, or have such empty lives they have to boost themselves by being unpleasant. This is largely why you will still have haters no matter how good you are - actually the more you improve the more numpties you'll probably attract! Human nature I'm afraid - occasionally people will have genuinely constructive comments to offer, but otherwise just try and ignore them. Whenever you want feedback on your work ask the people you trust, whose work you aspire to, and who are equipped to offer genuine advice. But otherwise, try and enjoy your photos (which are good) and b*gger everybody else!

Why do you want to be famous?

Thanks Lindsay will do, I'll get the camera out at the weekend i think. Day job has killed me this week enough i feel i need to unwind. SCOTCH ANYONE!!

infamous really happygolucky and why not. To leave a legacy behind and make my kids feel proud if all i ask. I may get one of those things. BUt i will give it a go

I often find Flickr, 500px etc to be a false representation of a photography community in the respect that it's a 'like for like' culture. Many people like, favourite or comment on other peoples work purely to get their own liked back and won't necessarily have looked or even thought about the picture their liking. I've noticed this more commonly on 500px but seen it on Flickr too. For your own fame I think you'd be better suited at exhibitions; a place where people have traveled far and wide just to view your work in all it's glory. No 'like' or glory hunting present but mere mortals enjoying someone else's work because they get you as a person and what you're all about just from a framed and neatly ink splashed sheet of canvas.

Stand up and be counted. Show the world who you are and why you're the best and not because you're infatuated with fame but because you are your own unique creation. Stay classy, you've got it in the bag; the camera that is ;).

I often find Flickr, 500px etc to be a false representation of a photography community in the respect that it's a 'like for like' culture. Many people like, favourite or comment on other peoples work purely to get their own liked back and won't necessarily have looked or even thought about the picture their liking. I've noticed this more commonly on 500px but seen it on Flickr too. For your own fame I think you'd be better suited at exhibitions; a place where people have traveled far and wide just to view your work in all it's glory. No 'like' or glory hunting present but mere mortals enjoying someone else's work because they get you as a person and what you're all about just from a framed and neatly ink splashed sheet of canvas.

Stand up and be counted. Show the world who you are and why you're the best and not because you're infatuated with fame but because you are your own unique creation. Stay classy, you've got it in the bag; the camera that is ;).
Sounds like a plan!

I understand where you're coming from. Chasing 'likes' is pointless but it seems to me that creating photographs and not having them viewed is a bit of a waste; the final part of the process is sharing them, whether online or in print, delivering them to a client or whatever. There's also something about having an audience in mind which forces me to try to really nail an image rather than accepting something as merely good enough.

My history as a performer has direct parallels - I know plenty of fabulous jugglers who practise their hearts out but would never dream of showing their skills in public. (We'll gloss over the fact that some would argue that juggling should never be seen in public!)

Getting in Flickr explore, or on the 1x front page, or commended in a camera club competition means that a lot more people than usual see the work. That has to be satisfying, no? Note that I'm not saying you should tailor your work for a particular audience unless you are working to a brief: create what you want and then select the appropriate outlet for it.

"Likes" on social media are like votes on Eurovision. They have very little to do with the quality of the work. Anyone who actually cares about likes, shares or comments is just wasting time and energy. When I take a photo all that matters to me is my opinion and the opinions of anyone else involved in the shoot. If everyone else is happy, that's great. If I'm happy too, it's a miracle! (They happen occasionally). After that, nothing else matters.

"Likes" on social media are like votes on Eurovision. They have very little to do with the quality of the work. Anyone who actually cares about likes, shares or comments is just wasting time and energy. When I take a photo all that matters to me is my opinion and the opinions of anyone else involved in the shoot. If everyone else is happy, that's great. If I'm happy too, it's a miracle! (They happen occasionally). After that, nothing else matters.

People often say this but if you look for example at that page of explored pictures from flickr I'd say they are all pretty good and I'd be pleased if I'd taken any of them. I don't put much on flickr as I'm too lazy but I do like it when someone likes something or comments surely we all enjoy knowing others have taken pleasure in one of our photographs?

There are some very good images on Flickr explore but theres a lot of repetitive crap too. Once you've seen 'that' picture of the manhattan skyline with those wooden posts in the foreground with long exposure water once, youve seen it all! And yet that image in some form or other graces the pages of flickr explore nearly every day!

Birds on twigs - check
Sunsets - check
light trails passing westminister - check

I could of course be talking about TP too....

I only take photos for my own pleasure. I may post them on F/B, Instagram or flickr for my friends and family to see. It's nice to get a like or comment, but it's not the be all and end all, if I don't.
Every now and then I will have a cull of photos on my computer that I don't need or like any more.
My photos are a record of things I've been doing and stuff I'm interested in. I like them to look right and show some sort of photographic competence, as long as I'm happy with them, then that's what matters really. It would be a different matter of cause if I was being paid by somebody.
A bad photo is one YOU don't like, not some stranger. I sometimes look at photos on flickr and think " I can't see the point in this photo" but it might mean something to the photographer. But that doesn't make me like it.
So free up you photography and take photos for you and not everyone else.

Snap

People often say this but if you look for example at that page of explored pictures from flickr I'd say they are all pretty good and I'd be pleased if I'd taken any of them. I don't put much on flickr as I'm too lazy but I do like it when someone likes something or comments surely we all enjoy knowing others have taken pleasure in one of our photographs?

So your basically saying that derivative photos are no good which pretty much kills it as a hobby as very phew of us will ever take anything original!

So your basically saying that derivative photos are no good which pretty much kills it as a hobby as very phew of us will ever take anything original!

Why not? Why would phew (sic) of you take anything original? That's up to you isn't it? No one makes you create derivative work.

Why not? Why would phew (sic) of you take anything original? That's up to you isn't it? No one makes you create derivative work.

take the example given earlier, shots of the New York City Skyline almost anything you take is derivative as it is so heavily shot, yes you could say don't do it but that would rule out thousands of locations that are great fun to shoot even if the eventual photo's will be derivative and un original. Very few (maybe right this time ;)) of us will ever take anything great which is genuinely original in any field of photography simply because so much of our world is so heavily shot, this doesn't mean what we shoot is no good lol

Once you've seen 'that' picture of the manhattan skyline with those wooden posts in the foreground with long exposure water once, youve seen it all!
You've just summed up my stream - it seems to be the most popular shot!

Anyway, to the OPs comment, photography should be for you firstly, and everyone else secondly. Shoot what you like, and if other people like it then great.

Having checked out your Flickr stream, you seem to be doing OK in the likes department, so I wouldn't worry about needing more!! :p

You've just summed up my stream - it seems to be the most popular shot!

Anyway, to the OPs comment, photography should be for you firstly, and everyone else secondly. Shoot what you like, and if other people like it then great.

Having checked out your Flickr stream, you seem to be doing OK in the likes department, so I wouldn't worry about needing more!! :p
I found that having to take photos of and being able to relax and not worry about things has helped. I'm still striving to be as good as I can be and build on that and my style. I'm sure one day I will be loved it may just be by my family but ah life goes on ;)

take the example given earlier, shots of the New York City Skyline almost anything you take is derivative as it is so heavily shot, yes you could say don't do it but that would rule out thousands of locations that are great fun to shoot even if the eventual photo's will be derivative and un original. Very few (maybe right this time ;)) of us will ever take anything great which is genuinely original in any field of photography simply because so much of our world is so heavily shot, this doesn't mean what we shoot is no good lol

That's a very depressing outlook. It's as if you've given up already. Everything has been shot, so I'll just stop trying to be original. What next? We're all going to die any way, so I'll just curl up and wait for the big sleep?

Yes.. if you go to famous tourist landmarks, you'll find it hard to get an original image of it. So why not avoid shooting famous landmarks? What's the point? If you want a shot of it to just say "I was here" then just snap it on your phone. Using your example of N.Y - Anyone who goes there and can't get original imagery is walking around with their eyes closed.

Back