Paint shop pro x9 ultimate

Many moons ago I used PSP back when it was an independent company........its new owners changed it too much...but gave up in favour of PS and then LR

Were I you I would also search widely for user reviews because in that early versions the work flow had very good but slightly quirky features.

Last edited:
You'd probably have a pretty steep learning curve as although I would think it'll do pretty much anything PS will do, it'll do it differently. I use PSP (x6 is the version I'm stuck with till I upgrade the pc), but I've used PSP all my life. I wouldn't change to PS because I know how PSP works. While you can find tutorials for just about anything related to LR/PS, it's harder to find PSP tutorials, as LR/PS has become the 'standard'. I have sometimes found myself looking at stuff written for PS then trying to work out which tools/processes to use in PSP. But if it's only £45, why not just get it and try it? Just don't get rid of PS yet.

You'd probably have a pretty steep learning curve as although I would think it'll do pretty much anything PS will do, it'll do it differently. I use PSP (x6 is the version I'm stuck with till I upgrade the pc), but I've used PSP all my life. I wouldn't change to PS because I know how PSP works. While you can find tutorials for just about anything related to LR/PS, it's harder to find PSP tutorials, as LR/PS has become the 'standard'. I have sometimes found myself looking at stuff written for PS then trying to work out which tools/processes to use in PSP. But if it's only £45, why not just get it and try it? Just don't get rid of PS yet.

PS has been my main editor with lightroom for years now there is so so much i can do in them
ive dolownloaded trial paint pro demo so wil give it a wee go it looks quite good for quicks fixes

Hi Jim:)! I have Corel PaintShop Pro X7. I don't do a huge amount of PP but what I want to do I find relatively easy. Corel Discovery Center has quite a lot of short tutorials on offer (see below).

In X7, there are 3 tabs: Manage, Adjust and Edit. Manage shows all your folders; Adjust has a lot of presets and Edit gives you free rein. I'm still finding my way around. £45 sounds good:agree:!

http://learn.corel.com/photo-home/

I used various editions of PaintShop Pro for a long time, although I eventually finished up with Photoshop CS6.
If you are just looking for basic cropping, straightening and cloning tools PSP is quite adequate.
One thing I would say is that PSP is more like "Elements" than the full Photoshop, which has lots more adjustment tools.
However, there is one area that PSP beats Elements hands down, and that is in 16-bit image support.
Last time I tried it (although it may have changed) Elements did not support a multi-layer 16-bit image, only 8 bit.
PSP allows multilayer 16-bit images.
Since I prefer to do all my PP on 16-bit images, this is important to me, I do all my PP on 16-bit and when finished save the result as a jpeg.

I bought it a few weeks back and have been playing with it on and off. If you devote a few minutes to the tutorials you can get some nice results quickly. I have however found there seems to be no guides outside of corels material (every magazine, book and blog are devoted to photoshop and lightroom tutorials).

They do also seem to like selling add-ons (effects etc) at every opportunity, but only to be expected with a perpetual license I guess. The only frustrating thing with this is some of the add ons they keep promoting had already been given free with the initial purchase.

Last edited:
I have X9 Ultimate but uninstalled it soon afterwards, full of nagging adware and weird interface changes from earlier versions. They also completely changed the way clarity (local tone mapping) works, so now it basically doesn't work at all. Went back to X3 which is much better IMO.

I've never found it particularly difficult to adapt photoshop guides for use in PSP. Many plugins for PS also work in PSP too you'll be pleased to know.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have used PSP since I started with digital many moons ago now. Ive tried PS but found I didn't use half the things on it and found PSP could do them all..quicker. I wouldn't change now and am just about to upgrade to new PSP 2018 ultimate

Hi Thnxs for the advice decided to stick with photo shop cs6 downloaded a trial Afinity but not for me photoshop does everything I need and to be honest it's more fun using it
getting to old to learn these new software LOL :pint:

Back