Monthly Paiste Phil's 2013 ETC

Name
Phil
Edit My Images
Yes
Well, I can seriously say that I struggled hugely both for time, and for ideas this month with the themes set. The only thing I had tried previously was night trails and this time, I just couldn't get them right so scrapped the lot!

Quite often the girlfiend and I sit in and relax on a Friday night after a hectic week at work with a few glasses of red, a good film and some nightlights. this inspired my first two shots for the challenge:

Nightlights by philjose1878, on Flickr

Nightlights by philjose1878, on Flickr

I then decided to try some fairylights so headed for the banks of the Thames for some assistance:

Fairylights by the Thames by philjose1878, on Flickr

This second shot looked perfect on the back of my 1100D but I had slightly missed the focus :bang:

Fairylights by philjose1878, on Flickr

I also spotted some cool two tone fairylights along the Southbank strewn across some trees, although my first shot wasn't what I wanted to achieve, it did give birth to an idea in my head of throwing my 50mm 1.4 into manual focus, and out of focus to achieve:

Two tone fairylights by philjose1878, on Flickr

My final shot is of city lights, as a full moon came up over London I switched back to autofocus and tried this handheld shot:

Thames at night by philjose1878, on Flickr

Although I moved slightly, girlfiend leaning on my shoulder didn't help, I still want to include this as the best of a bad bunch of shots I fired off.

Have thoroughly enjoyed the challenges this month, even though I completely failed on some of the themes, and I look forward to heading back to the banks of the Thames again (with my Tripod:bang:) to try and improve on these shots in the near future!

You set a nice mood for a Friday night. ;)

Good effort this month, looking at your Flickr you should have taken a moon picture for night lights, you've got a couple of great ones there. You've got some great wildlife pictures too.

Your last London shot has some real potential, great colours and the inclusion of the moon is brilliant. Definitely go back with a tripod (y)

Thank you both for your comments.

These challenges have definitely opened my eyes to some new styles of photography, I very much look forward to experimenting and improving on these in the future :)

You've got some nice shots here I like the Composition on your first shot.
I aslo like the deliberate OOF on the 2 tone lights.
The last is also good and with a tripod and longer shutter speed could look stunning.

I also found getting the focus was difficult especially at night when you cant really see, but thats what I like about these challenges is the fact it gets you out there.

Thanks for your comments Michael. I am definately planning another trip to the banks of the Thames at some point in the near future, and this time I will definately not leave the tripod at home gathering dust!

I was struggling trying to get the right focus on the 2 tone lights and must have failed with about 200 shots before the light bulb on my head developed into a faint glow and I threw it totally OOF!

I especially like the two candle shots. Fairy lights by the Thames I think needed more in focus; not necessarily more lights, but something, and the other fairy lights one needed something in focus; it has no anchor without.

Two tone works better as it's become abstract.

The night shot is good, but maybe needs a little straightening, and St Pauls (if that's what it is!) is a little overexposed/soft. Great moon though; love the whisky clouds around it :)

Back