Panamoz - 5% discount on Bank Transfers?

Name
Dan
Edit My Images
No
Anyone taken up this offer? or use it regularly?

Just interested, as I'm thinking about it.

I did, earlier this year on a 70-300VR. I was slightly concerned as I didn't hear anything for the rest of the day, but needn't have worried as received my tracking number the following morning, and the lens a few days later.

Done it twice in the last two months. No problems at all.

Yep, I did it. No problem at all, except my hands got a bit shaky, I started to sweat and my pulse raced when I went to click the "confirm" button on my internet banking screen :eek:

Yes have used it twice, camera and then a lens, no problems either transaction.

I considered it - it is all very well others saying it was fine for them, but what happens if they go into administration or the authorities freeze their accounts between you hitting the send button in your online banking and the parcel actually being handed to the courier for shipping?

Admit it is a small window of risk, but not one I wanted to take, so used my credit card to give me some protection.

I considered it - it is all very well others saying it was fine for them, but what happens if they go into administration or the authorities freeze their accounts between you hitting the send button in your online banking and the parcel actually being handed to the courier for shipping?

Admit it is a small window of risk, but not one I wanted to take, so used my credit card to give me some protection.

I agree, it is a risk. At the end of the day it's up to the individual to decide if it's a risk worth taking.

I agree, it is a risk. At the end of the day it's up to the individual to decide if it's a risk worth taking.

I agree, have used BT twice with no problems. Just judge the risk of Panamoz getting in trouble in the next 4 or 5 days before your order is delivered.

Yep, I've used it. No problems.

What's life without a little risk any way? :) As above, they'd have to hit the wall in the very short time period between placing the order and it arriving. That's minuscule. Also, the 4 to 5 days listed above was actually 48 hours in my case, even though it came from HK.

Had a look into this. I would be tempted although the lens I want is 5% more expensive than another HK supplier! So not worth the risk for me.

Yep, I've used it. No problems.

What's life without a little risk any way? :) As above, they'd have to hit the wall in the very short time period between placing the order and it arriving. That's minuscule. Also, the 4 to 5 days listed above was actually 48 hours in my case, even though it came from HK.

I said in my post it was a small window of risk, but it still a real risk - some people who take the chance may have had to save for years to get the money together, so clearly you pay your money and you take your chance.

Not wanting to be accused of starting rumours and not specifically relating to Panamoz, but they could be being investigated now or struggling financially and you wouldn't have any idea.

It is also not unusual for businesses to carry on as usual taking money from customers knowing full well they can't or won't supply the goods.

Does using a UK credit card eliminate the risk when buying from an overseas supplier?

What happened when they last vanished for a while (last September if I remember correctly)? I guess some had orders around that time but I didn't hear of any issues.

As has been said, there is always a risk & it's up to the individual to decide.
There have been a few sellers over recent years where problems have impacted on buyers, eg; BigNorman, procamerashop, tiptop..........
It also needs the sellers warranties, as opposed to manufacturers, to be taken into consideration.

(general sticky re imports; http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/th...rey-imports-and-other-assorted-topics.512133/ )

Last edited:
How does this work exactly ? I'm not sure what the process is.......tempted.
Can't remember whether I contacted them or if you can do it at the basket section of the site but basically you send them a form of what you want and they invoice. You pay and they will email back to say they've received and shipped etc.

Their communication is very good I found.

I've bought 2 5dmkiii's 24-70 mkII 70-200mkii, 50 1.2 85 1.2, 100 2.8 15mm 2.8 35 1.4 2x600exrt's 135 f/2 plus few small things over the past 18months and saved over 2k for uk prices and never let down once, if wasn't for panamoz I wouldn't have bought 85 1.2 with I absolutely love love love.... 1150 I paid where uk stores where looking £1750. Paid by bt with all items. Simple no brainer and nothing to worry about - seriously they have saved me well over 2k.

I've paid that way for 5 or 6 items worth over £8K an never had a problem. Great service and great prices make it worthwhile every time. I haven't needed to buy anything recently as I'm happy with my setup now. The last item I bought was a Canon 24-70 f2.8L II and had it delivered in 5 days which is about usual.

Does using a UK credit card eliminate the risk when buying from an overseas supplier?

Presuming you're referring to protection under section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act the answer is "yes" if you pay the supplier directly, and "no" if you pay through a third party (for example, WorldPay). I suspect that Panamoz uses a third party as most grey importers do... can anyone else on the forum confirm or deny that?

I suspect that Panamoz uses a third party as most grey importers do... can anyone else on the forum confirm or deny that?

Payment is via Paypal.

I considered this for a body, but was worried about not having any comeback if they just took the money and ran (however unlikely). I'd always try to at least pay for part of the item on a credit card, not debit card. That way you're covered.

Paypal may be another option, but I wouldn't trust them for high value international purchases.

As it was the body I wanted out of stick anyway, so I never bought anything.

Presuming you're referring to protection under section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act the answer is "yes" if you pay the supplier directly, and "no" if you pay through a third party (for example, WorldPay). I suspect that Panamoz uses a third party as most grey importers do... can anyone else on the forum confirm or deny that?

You would be covered on most cases. Worldpay is a recognised payment processor and most SME businesses will use one to take card payments.
PayPal maybe a different issue depending on how you paid. If you paid by credit card but did not log into your account or do not have an account you should be covered as paypal are simply acting as the payment PSP, however if you funded your paypal account with your credit card and paid using your paypal account you would not be covered. However, in these instance you would have the backing of Paypal.

panamoz prices are no brainers and 5% on top of them is even sweeter. condidering use them for body and lens now..

Just bought a Nikon Df using the bank transfer and paid £1472.50. Ordered on Saturday. The camera and lens arrived yesterday and all is good. Best price on camera price buster was £2299. WEX where I usually get my gear was £2349.00. Can't really argue with that. A saving of £826.50 on the cheapest place in the UK on the day ordered. Communication was very good too, as were the tracking details.

I should get a D7100 today.. Quite excited - even if it is for the wife..:(

Used them to order most of my kit. Think I'm going to order a Canon 24-70 ii very soon aswell

Purchased an Olympus 75mm f1.8 from them last week via the BT method and received the lens 3 days later. Tracking was provided and item delivered in first rate order. Would definately use this method again.

Used them recently and for buying an x-t1. They've been very rapid and very good with communication. Nothing went wrong so far so I can't comment on there after sale policy.

Opposite to DigitalRev which are pretty slow and answering in the dedicated section of the forum and don't answer half of the question which were in my post. Now they have answered and agree to give me a 6£ discount, I have to wait for the voucher thingy... Panamoz answer very quickly!

Only listened to their answer machine message and decided not to bother!!

My only real experience of Panamoz was not that great. After a sigma 35 f1.4 art. Not in stock with them and they could not tell me when it would be. Digital Rev on the other hand delivered less than 48 hrs after placing the order. Lens by the way is sharpest I own. Absolutely fantastic. Spent a lot of time on the d700 since.

Ordered an OMD-EM1 and lens from them over the weekend. Dispatched Monday morning, delivered Wednesday. Excellent communication all the way through, and UPS tracking info provided. The 5% saving paid for a spare battery.
A few friends have used them and have had similar experiences.

Back