Beginner Panasonic dc gx9 best all round lens

Name
Billy Hope
Edit My Images
No
Hi there just taken up photography and got a Panasonic gx9 with a 35-100 lens and a 12-32 lens was looking at got a 20 fixed lens would be greatly appreciated for any advice on which lens would be good to get for making up my kit

OP
OP
P
Name
Billy Hope
Edit My Images
No
Thank you for reply I was told the 2 lens I have are ok but I should get 20 fixed and a good zoom lens that is why I have asked the forum but if the lenses I have are all I need to get started that would be great

Name
Robert
Edit My Images
Yes
I wouldn't be looking at any other lenses until I was sure I was lacking something from my existing lenses, such as requiring a faster lens for low light work etc.

Name
Keith
Edit My Images
No
Have a look for a used Panasonic 25mm 1.7, they can be had for about £100 and it is an excellent quality lens. It will be sharper than what you have, and much better in low light - it's also cheaper and has faster focus than the 20mm 1.7, it is also near silent when focusing so good for video too

Name
Robert
Edit My Images
Yes
Last edited:
Name
Keith
Edit My Images
No
Personally, I'd buy second hand, and if you end up not using it much you can sell it on without losing much.

Try your 12-32 at both 20mm and 25mm to see which focal length suits you best.

https://www.mpb.com/en-uk/used-equi...nic-lenses/panasonic-lumix-g-25mm-f-1-7-asph/

https://www.mpb.com/en-uk/used-equi...-lenses/panasonic-lumix-g-20mm-f-1-7-asph-ii/
Good idea to see which FL suits best, and MPB are pretty good, have bought used from them a number of times. I see the prices on the 25 haven't fallen much, I sold mine for £110 like new a while back. But, for £120 it's still a steal I think, very easy lens to get on with. I've not used the 20mm but I do know it's noisier and slower to focus, both have excellent IQ

Edit My Images
No
The Panasonic 25mm f1.7 is a great lens. You can pick them up in the classifieds here now and then. You can also try camera jungle, wex, mpb and various other retailers will offer used with a warranty. Push come to shove there’s eBay etc but be careful.

I would see how you get on with your current lenses and work out what type of images you like taking. You may find 25mm isn’t a suitable length and you wish you’d gone for the Olympus 17mm or p20mm or even the Olympus 45mm f1.8

Name
Alan
Edit My Images
No
The only 20mm I can think of is the Panasonic 20mm f1.7.

If that's the one... it's compact and has good image quality but the focus is relatively slow when compared to other lenses. I replaced mine with the Olympus 25mm f1.8.

You could also think about the Olympus 17mm f1.8 as mentioned by AMcUK. It's an excellent metal bodied lens with a good manual focus option with end stops and markings. I think all MFT lenses should be built like it :D

Good luck choosing.

Name
Robert
Edit My Images
Yes
The only 20mm I can think of is the Panasonic 20mm f1.7.

If that's the one... it's compact and has good image quality but the focus is relatively slow when compared to other lenses. I replaced mine with the Olympus 25mm f1.8.

You could also think about the Olympus 17mm f1.8 as mentioned by AMcUK. It's an excellent metal bodied lens with a good manual focus option with end stops and markings. I think all MFT lenses should be built like it :D

Good luck choosing.
How does the olympus 25 compare with the panasonic 25?
Been thinking about a 25mm for my G80.

Name
Rich
Edit My Images
Yes
Bit pricier, but the Panasonic 25mm f/1.4 is well worth the extra, on my GX9 split 50/50 with the Olympus 12mm
I had the Olympus 25mm so it was a proper comparison, not just repeating what I had read

Last edited:
OP
OP
P
Name
Billy Hope
Edit My Images
No
Hi was in st Jessops and they have a Panasonic 25 mm for £145 he also said I should have looked at Fuji xt 20

Name
Rich
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi was in st Jessops and they have a Panasonic 25 mm for £145 he also said I should have looked at Fuji xt 20
If you had wanted a APS-C sensor in DSLR style maybe you would have done
Strange comment to make, I came from Fuji and think the GX9 is a great little camera