Panasonic FF Mirrorless

For landscapers it's probably enough. I could make do with it and with live view/focus peaking etc MF would work. I know it's not for everyone but for me it stands out as very viable.

For landscape it looks perfect, it'll be more than fast enough. Panasonics contrast system is very fast in AFS anyway, AFC/Tracking it may lack but we don't know for sure.

For landscapers it's probably enough. I could make do with it and with live view/focus peaking etc MF would work. I know it's not for everyone but for me it stands out as very viable.

What does this offer you that say a D850 wouldn't for landscapes?

What does this offer you that say a D850 wouldn't for landscapes?

To be fair probably nothing other than the ability to mount Leica Glass - and I have lots of F mount glass so a D850 seems a logical progression from the D810's and D800 I have. I've been very dismissive about Mirrorless cameras but this one I could see myself using - hence I suppose my participation in this thread.

Last edited:
To be fair probably nothing other than the ability to mount Leica Glass - and I have lots of F mount glass so a D850 seems a logical progression from the D810's and D800 I have.

EVF for low light / WYSIWYG / IBIS / Focus peaking / Fast live view / Magnified Focus and if the reg distance is suitable the ability to mount your Nikon (or any other) glass until you can buy or fill gaps.

EVF for low light / WYSIWYG / IBIS / Focus peaking / Fast live view / Magnified Focus and if the reg distance is suitable the ability to mount your Nikon (or any other) glass until you can buy or fill gaps.

Not features that are really needed for landscapes though.

Not? I would've thought they'd be useful in most forms of photography, especially seeing exposure (incl with filters), dof, live histogram, IBIS, magnified focus and on sensor AF accuracy. How is that not useful in landscape stuff?

Last edited:

For landscape you can really make use of the evf with the magnified view and peaking to get very accurate focus where you want it or to at least to judge the depth throughout the scene and the WYSIWYG means you'll know if you're blowing or underexposing reducing the need to chimp, adjust and reshoot.

Not? I would've thought they'd be useful in most forms of photography, especially seeing exposure (incl with filters), dof, live histogram, IBIS, magnified focus and on sensor AF accuracy. How is that not useful in landscape stuff?

If you're doing Tripod based landscape photography, which in the context being discussed here with Steve I would say is 99% of cases, there is no rush and you take time and care using live view to check critical focus, histogram etc.

I'm not doubting they are all useful features, just not specifically for landscape photographers.

If you're doing Tripod based landscape photography, which in the context being discussed here with Steve I would say is 99% of cases, there is no rush and you take time and care using live view to check critical focus, histogram etc.

I'm not doubting they are all useful features, just not specifically for landscape photographers.

By live view do you mean the rear screen? If so I'd say that looking at the evf in its normal mode or in magnified view is a much better experience than looking at the back screen, I think so anyway. I only use the back screen when I can't get my eye to the evf and when I want to show someone a picture.

I see what you're saying, nice to have but not a necessity.

To be fair EVF isn’t my bag but if it’s decent then yeah. Most of the time I use live view on the SLR when it’s on the tripod and you can zoom this to 100% preview and focus accordingly. Usually though the AF (I use single point) gets it bang on - particularly for distant scenes.

Truth be told it’s much of a likeness really. I’m sure in the Pyrenees/Alps/Dolomites/Scotland where I shoot id get on with it

To be fair EVF isn’t my bag but if it’s decent then yeah. Most of the time I use live view on the SLR when it’s on the tripod and you can zoom this to 100% preview and focus accordingly. Usually though the AF (I use single point) gets it bang on - particularly for distant scenes.

Truth be told it’s much of a likeness really. I’m sure in the Pyrenees/Alps/Dolomites/Scotland where I shoot id get on with it

5.76m dot EVF is going to be superb.

5.76m dot EVF is going to be superb.

I also think this - I think it’ll be very clear and this technology is no longer in its infancy.

I have to say I was thoroughly unimpressed with the 1st Gen A7 in this regard and bought another d800 but I’m keen to try this.

Aside I’ve owned Panasonic products - non cameras and I’ve found them to be totally excellent and reliable. I’d feel confident owning their camera. That said I’ve not had one Nikon issue but I’ve heard complaints about issues with the bodies but none have affected me.

This is shaping up to be a great option. Any news on what native lenses are coming? Other than the existing Leica stuff.

Think I saw a 24-105f/4, 50mm f1.4 and 70-200 f/4 on some of the press images but not seen anything confirming this stuff.

I am curious to know if Sigma will release adaptors so my EF mount Art lenses will work on the L mount.

I am curious to know if Sigma will release adaptors so my EF mount Art lenses will work on the L mount.

Its gonna be a veeeeeerrrryyryyyyyryryryyryry long time before that happens. Sigma is producing 'native' lenses for E mount after releasing the MC11, not sure they'll do that again, more likely you'll be looking at a mount service.

Last edited:
The 24-105mm caught my eye, it offers 0.5x macro capability which is very very nice.

In comparison Sony does 0.31x and canon does 0.24x.

Canon is the shortest, Panasonic is 10mm longer and Sony is in the middle.
But canon is the heaviest, Sony lightest and Panasonic in the middle.
They all take 77mm filters.

Last edited:
The 24-105mm caught my eye, it offers 0.5x macro capability which is very very nice.

In comparison Sony does 0.31x and canon does 0.24x.

Canon is the shortest, Panasonic is 10mm longer and Sony is in the middle.
But canon is the heaviest, Sony lightest and Panasonic in the middle.
They all take 77mm filters.
Or just buy a macro lens

Or just buy a macro lens
Sure but i rather not have to carry a separate macro lens on travels (in fact I don't) which is where such a lens on a high megapixel sensor comes in very handy.

Last edited:
Or just buy a macro lens

Very different animals. My 12-40 lens has 0.33 magnification and for wide angle close ups you can create images a standard macro just cannot - if you're really into close up and detailed macro why not have both anyway?

Last edited:
Bit late to the party but I’m a bit underwhelmed by the frame rate on this, 5fps if you want continuous focus. I thought Panasonic might give Canikon a big slap across the face with this camera but from what I can see I’m not sure why you’d choose this over the Z7 or EOS R? (Except for the dual card slots ;))

I was thinking the same. The em1x is a hard sell.
Another for fun... half the sensor size... its Gigantor @ £2800.

View attachment 236451
I believe Olympus have said that the EM1-X is a tech exercise rather than a product that they expect to sell in large quantities. The trouble with that is if you make such a statement it really needs to be top notch, and I’m still not convinced AF will match the top DSLRs, or even the gen 3 A7’s, but time will tell. Also, why all these crazy FPS these days, 10 FPS is more than enough let alone 60, I mean who needs 60fps????

That new Panny does look a good size, and will please a lot of people who have been waiting for a DSLR sized mirrorless.

Bit late to the party but I’m a bit underwhelmed by the frame rate on this, 5fps if you want continuous focus. I thought Panasonic might give Canikon a big slap across the face with this camera but from what I can see I’m not sure why you’d choose this over the Z7 or EOS R? (Except for the dual card slots ;))

There's always the 6K photo mode which gives 18MP files at 30fps
Video for the S1 appears to be significantly better than both the Z6 or EOS R, it also has a stabilised sensor which the EOS R lacks. Coupled with the dual card slots it appears on paper to be a no brainer over at least the EOS R.

The EOS R will of course sell a magnitude greater than the S1.

Hi, I find the size of the new PANAs a little disappointing ... :

https://www.sonyalpharumors.com

Years ago, I gave my Nikon DSLRs to my wife, and went mirrorless, working my way up mft -> APS -C -> "FF". Size matters for me. That's why I went mirrorless.

The new PANAs are DSLRs without a mirror, size-wise. (The new NIKONs and CANONs are the same.)

Presently, I use SONY A7s, Leica M9, (Nikon D800 for car rallyes, because of poor SONY AF performance).

I like the Panasonic brand. My first "portable" PC (in 1984) was a Panasonic, and I still have - and use occasionally - the LUMIX 1,7/20 ASPH on an Oly Pen-EP1.

So, I won't spoil your fun here, and keep hoping Panasonic will bring out a more pocketable "FF" camera, perhaps with a fixed lens ---

(Added: There is some hope that the SR1 works better with Leica M mount lenses (of which I have 30), implied by this quotation from dpreview:

"The S1R's sensor in particular has been designed to maximize the signal-to-noise ratio by using aspherical microlenses, a 'waveguide' to direct light into the pixel and deep photodiodes to more efficiently capture light."

My SONYs (A7, A7R2) are not so good with some of my M mounts. I have the lens correction app from Sony Playmemories, which corrects vignetting, and color shift.

Weak corners cannot be corrected, of course. Will the new, aspherical microlenses help? We 'll see, when the bodies are delivered ... )

Last edited:
There's always the 6K photo mode which gives 18MP files at 30fps
Video for the S1 appears to be significantly better than both the Z6 or EOS R, it also has a stabilised sensor which the EOS R lacks. Coupled with the dual card slots it appears on paper to be a no brainer over at least the EOS R.

The EOS R will of course sell a magnitude greater than the S1.
I wasn't aware of the 6k photo mode, I'll look into that (y). I guess if you're into video then the Panny makes more sense, I never shoot video though so always overlook those stats ;)

It's true, the EOS R is the worst of the bunch (imo) yet will likely sell the most :rolleyes:

I wasn't aware of the 6k photo mode, I'll look into that (y). I guess if you're into video then the Panny makes more sense, I never shoot video though so always overlook those stats ;)

It's true, the EOS R is the worst of the bunch (imo) yet will likely sell the most :rolleyes:

tbh I don't think the panasonic will sell much same as samsung NX1 and for similar reasons.
but let's wait and see... :D

You don’t need a bloody 2nd card slot. You just darent admit you’ve got market driven paranoia.

I’ve lost more images to people walking into my shot at the critical moment than any gear failure, I think I’ve actually lost 2 images to card failure in about 100,000 shots.
Doesnt mean he can't want 2 though.
There are plenty of features on cameras that photographers want, but don't really need.

tbh I don't think the panasonic will sell much same as samsung NX1 and for similar reasons.
but let's wait and see... :D

I think the timing might help them a little here. I don’t know how many others are in this boat but I recognise that DSLR’s are a dying breed and support and new goodies for them will slowly start to dwindle so a new mirrorless system beckons at some point in the future. If starting from scratch, you can judge each system on its own merits with no particular factor tying you to one or another. So Panasonic might just hoover up a few ‘floating voters’. The NX stuff arrived in a much more Canon vs Nikon era and probably has an almost impossible task.

It's very quiet around here. I was expecting to find hundreds of new posts on the S1 and S1R.

Panasonic has just launched two completely new full-frame mirrorless cameras - are they that underwhelming?

It's very quiet around here. I was expecting to find hundreds of new posts on the S1 and S1R.

Panasonic has just launched two completely new full-frame mirrorless cameras - are they that underwhelming?
Unless you’re into video it seems all the new FF mirrorless are quite a bit behind Sony, and as such it’s very difficult to get enthusiastic. The only thing they’ve done better is the ergonomics, why Sony insist on keeping the gap between the lens and grip so small is beyond me ;)

Perhaps it's early days yet and most of the Youtube videos on the cameras seem to be more about the specs rather than getting into the meat of the camera capabilities; with their pre-release firmware, the loaners are probably muted by Panasonic currently. I did note that Gordon Laing's S1 Youtube video (at circa 2min 30 sec) showed the IBIS panning jump which has blighted certain other Panasonic bodies on release when shooting video. I'm a bit underwelmed by the specification and note that the full features of 4K video are locked without shelling out an additional currently undisclosed sum of money. What is known as of now is the pricing, The pricing of the release lenses is surely enough to make even Sony blush. A 70-200mm F4 for £1749, what have they been smoking? How much will the F2.8 lenses be on arrival? It remains to be seen if Sigma ride to the rescue with something more sensibly priced but otherwise, this system makes no more sense to me than the other recent arrival, the Olympus EM1X.

Last edited:

They're maybe a bit big and heavy but that's what some have been calling for for quite a while. People seem to have concerns about the focusing but the Panasonic MFT cameras are blisteringly fast for many uses and these new FF cameras may also be good enough for the vast majority of people - if they're honest about their needs. Time will tell.

I do wonder if these cameras will have any advantage for Leica lenses and if they do that'll be enough of a draw to clinch it for some.

I'll be sticking with my Sony for the foreseeable.

Back