Panasonic FF Mirrorless

Huh? Where? If you mean the GFX models, they are both medium format, not FF
put some more coal on the computer Keith , Irish broad band running slow today o_O :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: the S1R is 47mp and the S1 is 24mp both FULL FRAME models. unless you meant the fuji one , and I'll go back to bed :facepalm:

Last edited:
put some more coal on the computer Keith , Irish broad band running slow today o_O :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: the S1R is 47mp and the S1 is 24mp both FULL FRAME models. unless you meant the fuji one , and I'll go back to bed :facepalm:
Actually a mini gfx has been announced.no joke!

I think you 2 need a nap, maybe cuddle up together? :D

This was the flow of the conversation I was involved in at least:

Imagine a Fuji XT-3 type body packing a FF sensor :eek:
You don’t need to imagine it, it’s been announced.
Huh? Where? If you mean the GFX models, they are both medium format, not FF

Some interesting specs. Seems to be similar sensors to both Nikon and Sony in resolution, 24Mp and 47Mp, if not the same sensors to either or both. Two card slots, which is good ;) XQD and SD UHS0-II. Weather sealing. :) Lots of buttons. IBIS+IS. 4k @ 60p.

The downsides so far! No prices for cameras or lenses. :eek: Contrast AF. :eek::eek: Two of the lenses don't seem to have their specifications sorted yet, with no stated aperture settings. :thinking: No fps, no buffer depth numbers yet. :rolleyes: And no specific release dates.

Close up views of the body here;

View: https://youtu.be/pyJrh0T5jeY

This leaves Fuji alone in the APSC space...I wonder if they will ditched their Medium format and go FF instead.

Why? Medium format is a superior format to full frame.

They could do both.

On topic this sounds a better product than the Nikon Z. Leica lenses and a good FF sensor (47mp) with 2 card slots and proper weather sealing. I imagine this is the mirrorless camera to take seriously

Last edited:
Why? Medium format is a superior format to full frame.

They could do both.

On topic this sounds a better product than the Nikon Z. Leica lenses and a good FF sensor (47mp) with 2 card slots and proper weather sealing. I imagine this is the mirrorless camera to take seriously

Medium format is a vague size, the "medium" format in the Fuji is nothing like the old Medium format film size.

Some interesting specs. Seems to be similar sensors to both Nikon and Sony in resolution, 24Mp and 47Mp, if not the same sensors to either or both. Two card slots, which is good ;) XQD and SD UHS0-II. Weather sealing. :) Lots of buttons. IBIS+IS. 4k @ 60p.

The downsides so far! No prices for cameras or lenses. :eek: Contrast AF. :eek::eek: Two of the lenses don't seem to have their specifications sorted yet, with no stated aperture settings. :thinking: No fps, no buffer depth numbers yet. :rolleyes: And no specific release dates.

Needs the sensor cleaning.

APSC is a vague size.

There, I said it.

What I said about Fuji's "medium" format is vague, which is true.
All of the digital ‘medium format’ sizes are vague.

But in their defence, MF film went from 6x4.5 to 6x17 so what could we expect :thinking:

Edit; yes IIRC none of them are up to 6cm yet, the only thing we can say about MF is that it’s bigger than 35mm and smaller than half plate - a considerable margin of error.

Last edited:
Real Medium Format vs 35mm.

SycmRJC.png

Medium format applies for anything larger than 35mm, so yes, strictly speaking it is Medium Format but the difference they have between FF now is small, much smaller than what Medium Format used to be so this argument that Medium Format is superior is not as big as it used to be, especially it also loses a lot of benefit that 35 mirrorless has now, the AF for one.

fajRD9L.jpg

Yes, you're still silly.

You quoted yourself as saying "Medium format is a vague size, the "medium" format in the Fuji is nothing like the old Medium format film size."

In reality "the old medium format film sizes" were 6x4.5, 6x6 6x7 etc.

How much more vague can you get? I think Phil's already pulled you up on this earlier. "But in their defence, MF film went from 6x4.5 to 6x17 so what could we expect :thinking:"

Silly

Yes, you're still silly.

You quoted yourself as saying "Medium format is a vague size, the "medium" format in the Fuji is nothing like the old Medium format film size."

In reality "the old medium format film sizes" were 6x4.5, 6x6 6x7 etc.

How much more vague can you get? I think Phil's already pulled you up on this earlier. "But in their defence, MF film went from 6x4.5 to 6x17 so what could we expect :thinking:"

Silly

Which part I told is false??

That Medium Format is a vague size and that Fuji's medium format is not like the old film size?

I am curious which sentence in that is wrong. The current Fuji sensor is not any of the old Medium Film size, none of them. That's a fact.

Right, I'll go slow.

Ready?

You accused Fuji of having a "vague" medium format size". With me so far?

You then stated it was nothing like the old medium format film size. Size. Singular.

The fact remains there was never only 1 medium format film size. There were many.

Therefore, ergo, vis-a-vis it has always been a vague size.

I don't know how much clearer I can point out what you said was incorrect.

Gordon Laing knows where it's really at, he uses M43

Right, I'll go slow.

Ready?

You accused Fuji of having a "vague" medium format size". With me so far?

You then stated it was nothing like the old medium format film size. Size. Singular.

The fact remains there was never only 1 medium format film size. There were many.

Therefore, ergo, vis-a-vis it has always been a vague size.

I don't know how much clearer I can point out what you said was incorrect.

I then correctly myself with the attachment of 3 different medium format film sizes, plural.

And the fact remains that Fuji's sensor is not the same size as ANY of them.

The fact also remains that Fuji's sensor is much smaller than the SMALLEST medium film negative.

The fact ALSO remains that Fuji's bodies (medium) lacks many features of the 35mm mirrorless.

The fact remains still that add all those up, the advantage of a larger sensor only adds minor benefit to the 35mm, I argue that this "superior" between Fuji's medium format compare to say Nikon's 45mp sensor or Sony's 42mp, the gap is so small, the negatives FAR outweighs for positives.

Last edited:
The fact ALSO remains that Fuji's bodies (medium) lacks many features of the 35mm mirrorless.

Those who shoot serious MF do not care about flippy-selfie screens, 4K video [if they do they're using a separate rig] hundreds of fps or bluetooth. They are most interested in fine detail, exquisite skin tones and probably gain back the expenditure of the gear in a few jobs.

Those who shoot serious MF do not care about flippy-selfie screens, 4K video [if they do they're using a separate rig] hundreds of fps or bluetooth. They are most interested in fine detail, exquisite skin tones and probably gain back the expenditure of the gear in a few jobs.
I'd be happy with that,I would settle for excellent sensor with minimum clutter.distractions and hype.

Did the above video reveal a glimpse of the dreaded words "MADE IN CHINA"? :eek:

No but it’s a hell of a lot bigger than 35mm format size.
It’s the same difference(ish) as between APSC and FF.

Not what I’d describe as ‘a lot bigger’, it’s a bit less than twice the surface area. Just like M4/3 to APSC, or APSC to FF.

I’m not saying the difference is negligible and as a former MF film user I know that ‘bigger is better’, but to suggest this difference is ‘a lot’ when we all know that some APSC sensors are better than some FF is a bit over the top.

When someone say Medium Format, personally I expect it to be at LEAST the smallest of the film negative size. That is the minimum size I expect it to be.

Not half the size of the smallest one and then take like 20% off on top of that.

It might as well be call M4/3 of Medium Format.

M43 gets slated for being too small in relation to FF, Fuji MF gets slated for not being bigger enough over FF :D

When someone say Medium Format, personally I expect it to be at LEAST the smallest of the film negative size. That is the minimum size I expect it to be.

Not half the size of the smallest one and then take like 20% off on top of that.

It might as well be call M4/3 of Medium Format.
I totally agree that 645 should be the standard, especially with the old bronica options of a pano 35x60, buti don’t agree that the Fuji isn’t ‘big enough’ to make a difference.

So I get a letter yesterday stating a company I used to work for is being wound up and so is their pension I was in (who knew? I'd forgotten all about it).

So in 3 months I should get a few grand

Hmmmm

So I get a letter yesterday stating a company I used to work for is being wound up and so is their pension I was in (who knew? I'd forgotten all about it).

So in 3 months I should get a few grand

Hmmmm

Buy a nice new lens for your current camera and go on holiday.

Back