Panasonic FF Mirrorless

Why does it matter? If the quality control is there that’s what matters?

Some people do not want to buy goods made in China for political or moral reasons. I am surprised you've never heard this concept before.

As an aside, my Samsung phone is made in South Korea.

Some people do not want to buy goods made in China for political or moral reasons. I am surprised you've never heard this concept before.

As an aside, my Samsung phone is made in South Korea.

I've heard that before but ultimately such views you end up looking like a hypocrite because take for example Foxconn who makes Apple Products, some people says they would never buy products from Apple because Foxconn makes them and they have a reputation of not treating their employee well and reports of suicides due to harsh working conditions.

Then they don't realise Foxconn also makes parts for Hewlett-Packard, Nokia, Cisco, Huawei, Dell and Acer, and manufactures all three of the big game consoles, from Microsoft, Nintendo and Sony.

It's hard to avoid Made In China, because there are many things internally that is made in China that you know nothing about and can't avoid, you can claim you "do your part" but if you truly believe in the ideology of political or ethical, you need to go full Amish to achieve it in this modern commercial world.

Why? Don’t tell me it’s like these do gooders who won’t invest in armaments or tobacco when doing a stocks/shares investment and won’t have a car with leather seats for “ethical” reasons.

They sound very sad people who should be ignored.

It’s a good jump over full frame and price wise it’s not a bad proposition. I’m surprised they’re not selling more. It looks a good system.
Hahaha
Single card slot and 3fps, poor af esp in low light...

Have you been living under a rock, those specs mean it’s a pile of junk, best to buy a Sony.:p

I shoot landscapes. The only worry there is the lack of a second card slot and you do get that nice sensor :)
You don’t need a bloody 2nd card slot. You just darent admit you’ve got market driven paranoia.

I’ve lost more images to people walking into my shot at the critical moment than any gear failure, I think I’ve actually lost 2 images to card failure in about 100,000 shots.

You don’t need a bloody 2nd card slot. You just darent admit you’ve got market driven paranoia.

I’ve lost more images to people walking into my shot at the critical moment than any gear failure, I think I’ve actually lost 2 images to card failure in about 100,000 shots.

I lost some of what would have been my best landscapes to a card failure.

It was a great cloud inversion, lovely light and all gone because the card failed and I wasn’t using the dual write feature.

I’ve actually had two SD cards crap out - the second time it didn’t matter because I was using the dual write feature so I had the back up. I’d ask you kindly not tell me what you think I need or don’t need in a camera because your experiences are quite different to my own.

Card failure might be rare but once it happens and you lose some pictures that matter you’ll want a system that offsets that risk of it happening again.

I think with the Fuji and the 1 card slot is you’d just change them quite regularly to try offset the risk of failure

Last edited:
I really do sometimes wonder whether certain posters on here could divert traffic as easily as they divert threads :runaway::runaway::runaway:

I've heard that before but ultimately such views you end up looking like a hypocrite because take for example Foxconn who makes Apple Products, some people says they would never buy products from Apple because Foxconn makes them and they have a reputation of not treating their employee well and reports of suicides due to harsh working conditions.

Then they don't realise Foxconn also makes parts for Hewlett-Packard, Nokia, Cisco, Huawei, Dell and Acer, and manufactures all three of the big game consoles, from Microsoft, Nintendo and Sony.

It's hard to avoid Made In China, because there are many things internally that is made in China that you know nothing about and can't avoid, you can claim you "do your part" but if you truly believe in the ideology of political or ethical, you need to go full Amish to achieve it in this modern commercial world.

It is hard to avoid of course. That does not mean people can or should do nothing. It doesn't have to be an all or nothing deal.

I am sure if I buy the latest "Made in Japan" Canon it will be less to do with China than this "Made in China" Panasonic for example.

Anyway, I am not trying to convert anyone, most people probably don't think about it or care. I do, and would buy the latest FF mirrorless from Canon or Nikon rather than Sony or Panasonic for that reason alone.

Last edited:
So the s1 ( body only ) is £600 cheaper than e-m1x ? That'll make olympus' job tricky

So the s1 ( body only ) is £600 cheaper than e-m1x ? That'll make olympus' job tricky
I was thinking the same. The em1x is a hard sell.

I would have thought the people who would buy the S1 are exactly the people Oly know won't buy the EM1x.

The Panny does look good but the lenses also look amazingly expensive too. I keep nearly pulling the trigger on an A7iii and then not as I realise it doesn't add anything I need above the EM1ii, or even my EM5ii.

I would have thought the people who would buy the S1 are exactly the people Oly know won't buy the EM1x.

The Panny does look good but the lenses also look amazingly expensive too. I keep nearly pulling the trigger on an A7iii and then not as I realise it doesn't add anything I need above the EM1ii, or even my EM5ii.

The original A7 adds a couple of things for me over my MFT cameras, being able to use old film era lenses at their intended FoV and the lovely files being two things.

If the Panasonic cameras are good for M mount and other Leica lenses that in itself could be a big attraction for some people.

The original A7 adds a couple of things for me over my MFT cameras, being able to use old film era lenses at their intended FoV and the lovely files being two things.

If the Panasonic cameras are good for M mount and other Leica lenses that in itself could be a big attraction for some people.

But its not a lightweight option, these things are getting lardy!!!!

Sony A7 410g
Sony A7iii 650g
Canon R 660g
Nikon Z6 675g
Pana S1 898g

Sony A7 410g
Sony A7iii 650g
Canon R 660g
Nikon Z6 675g
Pana S1 898g

I prefer smaller lighter kit but for everyone like me there are probably more who complain that the kit's too small and toy like and they can't hold it properly or press the buttons... you see these comments on forums every day. Plus in the mind of some making kit bigger and heavier helps to justify a higher price and adds to the feel of quality. Much of this is IMO BS but it's sadly how peoples minds work and how the market goes.

if partnering with Sigma for glass it makes sense imo for the camera body to be on the larger/sturdier side. the sigma glass does feel overly front heavy on the sonys with a battery grip.

Sony A7 410g
Sony A7iii 650g
Canon R 660g
Nikon Z6 675g
Pana S1 898g

Chances are the lenses going on are quite hefty. I like a big feeling camera.

The Panasonic with the 47mp is seriously making me consider a different system - I’m very curious to see one up close.

pre orders at clifton cameras:

S1 £2,199 & S1 With 24-105mm f4 £2,999
S1R £3,399 & S1R With 24-105mm f4 £4,199

Appeals to me far more than the recent Canon and Nikon offerings but once again too expensive, some of the glass is ridiculously priced and heavy.

The weight of them keeps them nicely separated from their G/GH series, which I hope is a sign that they're going to continue with m4/3.

They are, it's been rumoured that there will be a GH6, possibly even 3 variants.

I'm intrigued by this one more than any of the current FF ML offerings though.

I've seen people say it's huge [in comparison to the competition] but it's really not all that much larger than the GH5 - which is a dinky when put along side something like a D850

PanasonicS1GH5.jpg

Still taken from this preview:

I appreciate that some like a bit of weight, but I'm not in that camp, its the weight of the glass thats putting me of a GFX-50R, while I love the IQ, the thought of lugging several kg's up a mountain puts me off!!

I know why you would say this - the D810 and 2.8 zooms and 1.4 primes weigh a ton - but the optics (particularly edge to centre sharpness) are supreme and I know from experience cheaper, lighter glass doesn't give me that wonderful performance. Thus, no matter the mass of the body, I am going to use these heavy lenses so another 400g is neither here nor there.

My advice - if you do invest in heavy gear- invest in a decent bag with lots of adjustment to take the strain. I did the Lac Blanc hike with the D810 and D800 with 70-200 2.8 and 3 Sigma ART primes plus 190 Manfrotto tripod. I cannot say it was easy but I'm not super fit so I know it's doable. My feeling is if I am going to that effort - I want the optics and technical stuff to be as good as I can get it. The Lowpro Whistler 450 bag took it all no bother and with the straps/waist belt adjusted no back ache the next day.

Last edited:
Back