"Panasonic G series" Owners Thread

Finally resolved the GX1 raw file saga, easy to upgrade to LR 3.6 which worked and files viewable etc Elements 10 though required a manual update of camera raw 6.6 and installation on my mac as it did not show any updates automatically. The adobe help pointed me to a camera raw 6.6 download which would not install on a mac I suspect that it was the windows version when that didn't work the link dropped out:thumbs down: I then found a link specifically for the mac, lesson learned.

So I finally decide today is the day to order the gf3. After days of explaining how the payment side of things is going to work and my flash and lens selling I go onto panasonics website to find the cams only showing as available soon.

:(

joelk2 said:
So I finally decide today is the day to order the gf3. After days of explaining how the payment side of things is going to work and my flash and lens selling I go onto panasonics website to find the cams only showing as available soon.

:(

I feel your pain, similar thing happened with my D7K, finally save up the dough and then its out of stock for three months :(

Someone mentioned Park Cameras (I think) doing the same deal tho?

ronnus said:
I feel your pain, similar thing happened with my D7K, finally save up the dough and then its out of stock for three months :(

Someone mentioned Park Cameras (I think) doing the same deal tho?

Yeh I'm on there now. Doesnt mention anything about Lightroom 3 which I've told the wife I can sell meaning no extra money is put towards what I have to buy it.

Well bought now anyways. Will deal with the wrath of the wife when the time arises.

Woohoo.

Galaxy66 said:
So if we don't hear from you for a while......................:D

Haha

I had to bride her as well. Told her I'd pay for her to get nails done on the weekend.

Haha

I had to bride her as well. Told her I'd pay for her to get nails done on the weekend.

You mean "bribe" her? or by saying "bride her" is that another term for......;)

Galaxy66 said:
You mean "bribe" her? or by saying "bride her" is that another term for......;)

Yeh bribe her.

We got a 6 moth old so ;) ;) is off the cards at the moment.

Ordered mine yesterday lunchtime and now had an email stating the GF3 is out of stock and they are not getting anymore in.

Thunderbird010 said:
Ordered mine yesterday lunchtime and now had an email stating the GF3 is out of stock and they are not getting anymore in.

Was that straight with Panasonic?

Having come back to MFT now Olympus have launched those lovely new primes I checked out a very nice used GF3 in my local store today.

I was amazed how tiny it is (especially with the 20mm pancake lens). I have been using a Pentax Q when I wanted a pocket size camera and, whilst it is GREAT fun and truly tiny, I was impressed that the GF3 isn't hugely bigger and also has a good size sensor.

I do believe that MFT is now coming into it's own with the good range of decent, fast primes from both Olympus and Panasonic

daveproctor said:
Having come back to MFT now Olympus have launched those lovely new primes I checked out a very nice used GF3 in my local store today.

I was amazed how tiny it is (especially with the 20mm pancake lens). I have been using a Pentax Q when I wanted a pocket size camera and, whilst it is GREAT fun and truly tiny, I was impressed that the GF3 isn't hugely bigger and also has a good size sensor.

I do believe that MFT is now coming into it's own with the good range of decent, fast primes from both Olympus and Panasonic

If ur looking for the gf3 park cameras have it for 249 with 14mm prime.

Yeh I'm on there now. Doesnt mention anything about Lightroom 3 which I've told the wife I can sell meaning no extra money is put towards what I have to buy it.

Well bought now anyways. Will deal with the wrath of the wife when the time arises.

Woohoo.

My apologies if I am incorrect, but I got LR3 with my GX1 and it was via a flyer that was on the Panasonic site. Might be worth Googling it?

Tulipone said:
My apologies if I am incorrect, but I got LR3 with my GX1 and it was via a flyer that was on the Panasonic site. Might be worth Googling it?

Brill. Thanks for the heads up. Will have a look later.

Edit: google revealed that offer ended in august. boo.

Last edited:
Question is now do I order a GF3 and sell the 14mm lens as I already have the 14mm as I have a g3 and have previously owned a GF3 but miss the pocketable size when out and about. Or do I wait until next week when the Panasonic cash back is on and order a GX1 body.

Other option is to order a Olympus EPM1 as that's quite small and I like the colours and the filters having previously owned a xz1.

Can't make my mind up.

i like the exposure lock and the compensation with the front wheel
been using all the methods for the last three weeks on malta
P A S M and found A suited most situations...it was pretty bright and i think i ran up against the EV restrictions when on manual
dof preview was a great help as well
cheers
geof
G1 user

Re G3, someone posted in this thread that they found they were continually accidentally altering the iso setting while handling the camera, I am finding I am now doing the same, so annoying if you do not realise at the time.

Re G3, someone posted in this thread that they found they were continually accidentally altering the iso setting while handling the camera, I am finding I am now doing the same, so annoying if you do not realise at the time.

I have not found this an issue on the GX1, at least that I have noticed. That said there is an ISO limiter that I set to 400. It's easily changed and no unhappy accidents.

Galaxy66 said:

As long as you don't use the big red auto button on top you should be ok. As this sets what it thinks is best and does not put it back!

michael23 said:
A question for g3 owners, what battery life are getting?

Around 300 shots on a fully charged genuine battery. But may depend on how much LCD you use.

Galaxy66 said:
Put it this way, I would not go out without having both my batteries fully charged.

G2 user here, but manual focus lenses FTW. AF seems to cane the batteries on m4/3.

If ur looking for the gf3 park cameras have it for 249 with 14mm prime.

Ouch! paid £259 for mine (used but mint) with a 14-42 lens (which I don't want). However it is black (which I do want) and I notice Park are charging more for the black body kits so I don't feel too bad now.

I'm pleasantly surprised by the build quality. I'd never picked one up before but always assumed it would be light and plasticky. It is plasticky (afterall it is made of plastic) but very good quality plastic and has a really good weight to it.

I tried a few quick shots yesterday evening with the 20mm 1.7 attached and thought the pictures were fine - colour not as good as my E-P3 but that is probably just personal taste. I like the fact that it isn't especially easy to go in and over-ride settings as this makes it more of a P&S camera which is what I want it for.

Last edited:
As long as you don't use the big red auto button on top you should be ok. As this sets what it thinks is best and does not put it back!

I always shoot in manual Andrew and it can alter if accidentally hit by the thumb.

daveproctor said:
Ouch! paid £259 for mine (used but mint) with a 14-42 lens (which I don't want). However it is black (which I do want) and I notice Park are charging more for the black body kits so I don't feel too bad now.

I'm pleasantly surprised by the build quality. I'd never picked one up before but always assumed it would be light and plasticky. It is plasticky (afterall it is made of plastic) but very good quality plastic and has a really good weight to it.

I tried a few quick shots yesterday evening with the 20mm 1.7 attached and thought the pictures were fine - colour not as good as my E-P3 but that is probably just personal taste. I like the fact that it isn't especially easy to go in and over-ride settings as this makes it more of a P&S camera which is what I want it for.

Thanks for the review. I'm looking forward to receiving it today and testing it out. Panasonics 249 with Lightroom 3 was the best deal.

Have seen Lightroom selling for £50 and new body only gf3's for £200 so people having been making money from that deal considering the 14mm sells for £100 too. Shame people have been using this for profit as people like me actually want the camera. Can't blame them I spose though.

I wanted the black version but I'm not paying extra for the pleasure. The camera will still work the same.

I keep oogling at the pics of pictures taken with 14mm over at mu-43 forum.

Would be good if TP split the equipment forum into a few sub categories. Would be easier than wading through hundreds of threads trying to find MFT ones.

I wonder if that's something to do with the handshake between the Oly lenses and the Panasonic bodies? I seem to use battery a lot quicker with Oly lenses than Panasonic ones on my G1, seems fine with my Panny kit lens though.

Well camera has turned up and the wife took the delivery (I'm at work til 4)

She already text having a rant. Oops.

Well camera has turned up and the wife took the delivery (I'm at work til 4)

She already text having a rant. Oops.

You need to chane wives or get a better paid job :p in these times the former is definitely easier than the latter :)

My GX1 is supposedly waiting for me at the post office will go pick it up tomorrow. Nicely enough on my way back I will be dropping by SRS in Watford who will have an OM-D on show so I will be able to compare :)

vrapan said:
You need to chane wives or get a better paid job :p in these times the former is definitely easier than the latter :)

My GX1 is supposedly waiting for me at the post office will go pick it up tomorrow. Nicely enough on my way back I will be dropping by SRS in Watford who will have an OM-D on show so I will be able to compare :)

Haha.

She's a good un really.

I've managed to sweet talk her now so she's forgot about it already hehe.

I wonder if that's something to do with the handshake between the Oly lenses and the Panasonic bodies? I seem to use battery a lot quicker with Oly lenses than Panasonic ones on my G1, seems fine with my Panny kit lens though.

Sounds strange, I only have Oly lenses, (14-42, 45 f1.8, 40-150) that i use with the G1 and I haven't noticed any undue battery usage. I have been on the same battery for around 200 shots / 1 weeks use now and the battery is still showing as full.

So it could just be pot luck with no pattern.
My batteries are still very good, I get a lot of use on them both, but I seemed to get less when I was borrowing a friends Oly lenses last week.
Its not a problem for me, it just seemed to be draining quicker. Obviously it could all be down to perception though, I may have thought it was draining quicker when in fact it actually wasn't.

i have found switching everything off...and setting the times for review short the battery lasted longer

Back