"Panasonic G series" Owners Thread

Starastin said:
the oly doesn't get to great reviews though. it's not rubbish but 14mm f2.5 is much better.

Yeh I'm just finding that out now after reading some reviews. Hmmmmm

The likelihood is that I'm not going to be able to take up the offer on the gf3 as it runs out at the end of the month. Digital rev are doing the gf2 w 14mm for £349 which seems good. But is the gf2 really worth £100 more than the gf3. Really as I want compact then the gf3 seems the better choice but as I'm starting to love the gf1 the gf2 looks more like what I want. God damn cameras. Ahhh.

Really must win the lottery at some point.

joelk2 said:
Yeh I'm just finding that out now after reading some reviews. Hmmmmm

The likelihood is that I'm not going to be able to take up the offer on the gf3 as it runs out at the end of the month. Digital rev are doing the gf2 w 14mm for £349 which seems good. But is the gf2 really worth £100 more than the gf3. Really as I want compact then the gf3 seems the better choice but as I'm starting to love the gf1 the gf2 looks more like what I want. God damn cameras. Ahhh.

Really must win the lottery at some point.
Probably too late, but john Lewis were doing the GF2 with 14mm and an official panny case for £279 a few weeks back. Similar price at dsg stores too. I seem to recall srs Microsystems had GF2 bodies only for a good price too, but I suspect most of these offers were to clear stock as the GF3 had been released.

I've a GF2 with the 14mm and 20mm, and if I was on a tight budget would have no qualms taking the 14mm over the 20mm. The 20mm is good, but not worth twice the cost of the 14mm, IMVHO of course :)

fidsey79 said:
John Lewis still have offer on - GF2 in red only. Park camera has GF3 with 14mm for £249.00

Lumixlifestyle have the GF3 with 14mm for £249 too.

Well I texted the wife asking her views and all I received back was this

:-/

What does that even mean? Haha.

Well I've put my items for sale (on another site as I still don't meet criteria for here. Boo)

So hopefully I get the prices I want.

After looking into it I'm thinking that the GF3 price is excellent and not worth missing. Although I'd love the gf1 i just can't see it happening. As I want compact then the additional hotshot and port won't get used.

fidsey79 said:
Lumix Lifestyle have lightroom 3 included!

It does indeed. I'm sure that if u buy from park camerAs you can also get Lightroom. Don't quote me on that though.

Has anyone ordered from lumixlifestyle?

fidsey79 said:
Lumix Lifestyle have lightroom 3 included!

That really is a blinding deal, if I hadn't already bought mine that'd be enough to convince me to try m4/3 :)

ronnus said:
That really is a blinding deal, if I hadn't already bought mine that'd be enough to convince me to try m4/3 :)

It's cracking. Don't seem to be many reviews on the gf3's about. Anyone know of some good ones?

It probably means "why do you need more camera stuff?" or "why are you asking me, you'll only ignore what I say anyway." :D
Either way, if you can afford it then go for it. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

ecniv said:
It means buy it...?

:D

Haha.

I know. That's the problem. I want it right now. But all the plastic is in the wife's name so I need to pursued her first.

Really could do with my flash and lens selling first. Would help my case with the wife.

Haha.

...... But all the plastic is in the wife's name

Oh dear, you are never going to be able to do the subtle upgrades that we with our own plastic can do......

i.e " GH1?, no, I don't know why you thought that, its always been a GH2 dear.......) etc

Allan

allanm said:
Oh dear, you are never going to be able to do the subtle upgrades that we with our own plastic can do......

i.e " GH1?, no, I don't know why you thought that, its always been a GH2 dear.......) etc

Allan

Dont I know it.

I bought a 35mm f1.8 and the wife said "you bought a flash not long ago"

I said this is a lens not a flash and she replied "they're all the same ain't they"

Despite this she's like a hawk if anything new pops through the door. Coupled with she's on maternity leave so takes in all deliverys.

I've got no hope.

My GF's working abroad.

Life is so simple for me and at the mo I'm free to be confused about buying either a X Pro1, a Nex 7, a G3, or instead, any two of them.

woof woof said:
My GF's working abroad.

Life is so simple for me and at the mo I'm free to be confused about buying either a X Pro1, a Nex 7, a G3, or instead, any two of them.

Haha. Well thanks for rubbing it in some more haha.

:D

Cameras just don't register with her. She might notice if I turn up in a different car :D She would notice if I had different shoes on, or a new shirt.... I wouldn't.

joelk2 said:
Dont I know it.

I bought a 35mm f1.8 and the wife said "you bought a flash not long ago"

I said this is a lens not a flash and she replied "they're all the same ain't they"

Despite this she's like a hawk if anything new pops through the door. Coupled with she's on maternity leave so takes in all deliverys.

I've got no hope.
Get deliveries made to work, and if she spots something new in the house say you borrowed it off your mate john. She'll likely never ask about it again.

Not speaking from experience at all ;)

Oh and BTW, that's a great lens... Mines is now welded to my D7K :)

Last edited:
ronnus said:
Get deliveries made to work, and if she spots something new in the house say you borrowed it off your mate john. She'll likely never ask about it again.

Not speaking from experience at all ;)

Oh and BTW, that's a great lens... Mines is now welded to my D7K :)

I wish it was that simple. My wife is like a hawk. Haha and a magpie as if it's shiny she wants it.

Anyone had difficulty importing panasonic RAW files into either Elements 10 or Lightroom 3, is it just the GX1 or are all Panasonic raw files unsupported.

As the UK is enjoying some unseasonably good weather, I headed out to Mount Grace Priory on Sunday to see their wonderful display of daffodils. It certainly didn't disappoint!

Mount_Grace_March2012-1030765 by srhphoto, on Flickr

They have so many different varieties there was still a lot yet to come out, so another trip might be in order.

Mount_Grace_March2012-1030797 by srhphoto, on Flickr

Weathered sandstone

Mount_Grace_March2012-1030863 by srhphoto, on Flickr

Mount_Grace_March2012-1030796 by srhphoto, on Flickr

All taken with a GH2 + 14-140mm lens.

Cheers,

Simon.

Nice.

I've only been there once and the weather was 'orrible. I didn't get a single good picture.

Anyone had difficulty importing panasonic RAW files into either Elements 10 or Lightroom 3, is it just the GX1 or are all Panasonic raw files unsupported.

Mine have always been fine with CS so it could be that the newer files aren't supported yet. I don't know but I'd imagine that there's a list of supported cameras somewhere so it might be worth checking any list in the package or on Adobe's site.

If your camera isn't supported yet you may have to use the dreaded Silkipix until an Adobe updates comes out.

petehb said:
No prob importing to LR3 from my GF2, and I think Panasonic bundled LR3 with the GX so would be surprised if it couldn't read GX raw files.

Adobe updated LR3 a few times in its life, but I think this was to allow for tethered shooting when new cameras came out. I may be wrong, but I think it only allows tethering with nikanons.

Are you using usb cable or a card reader? I always use a card reader, not sure if it would make any difference tho, unless the GX doesn't support mass storage mode...

Thanks all I will check to see if the GX1 is supported I am using the USB cable but will try a card reader although I think it must be the raw files as jpegs are OK.

Thanks all I will check to see if the GX1 is supported I am using the USB cable but will try a card reader although I think it must be the raw files as jpegs are OK.

GX1 is supported, but your Adobe Camera Raw is probably out of date. Just update them and raw will be fine.

It doesn't matter if you use USB or a card reader, if you don't update they won't work.

Tulipone said:
GX1 is supported, but your Adobe Camera Raw is probably out of date. Just update them and raw will be fine.

It doesn't matter if you use USB or a card reader, if you don't update they won't work.

I'm curious about this ,how does one update acr? Is it done separately from the standard LR updates? I've not been using it long enough to find out :)

Going on holiday soon and will be taking my GF-1, also probably lots of photos too.
I'm looking to buy one or two SDHC cards, maybe more, preferably Sandisk as I've never had a problem with them before even when I used CF cards.

I currently have a 8 gb 30mb/s (class 10 I think), most of my shots will probably be raw mode.
What's the general opinion on the 32gb class 10 sdhc cards, anyone using them ?
Or should I buy smaller capacity cards?

frank said:
Going on holiday soon and will be taking my GF-1, also probably lots of photos too.
I'm looking to buy one or two SDHC cards, maybe more, preferably Sandisk as I've never had a problem with them before even when I used CF cards.

I currently have a 8 gb 30mb/s (class 10 I think), most of my shots will probably be raw mode.
What's the general opinion on the 32gb class 10 sdhc cards, anyone using them ?
Or should I buy smaller capacity cards?

I think it's generally always advised to take smaller capacity cards if your not able to back up regular as if you lose, break or corrupt a card then you'll only lose a day or so of pictures rather than a lot more.

I use smaller cards if I can't back up every day. I mostly use 4gb ones and put a day or two's shooting on them before swapping cards. Will probably grab a couple of 8gb ones in the near future now that they'e gone down in price so much.

Smaller cards here too, was on 4GB ones for ages, but recently stuck 8GB cards in GF2 and D90. Also a pair of 16GB cards in my D7K, but only as it can be set to use one as backup, otherwise I'd stick with 8GB. For now :)

I'm curious about this ,how does one update acr? Is it done separately from the standard LR updates? I've not been using it long enough to find out :)

If you open the package up under "Help" there should be an "Updates" option. Click on it and it should either tell you you're up to date or download what you need to be up to date.

Just updated Lightroom to 3.6 (thought I had done:D) It now reads the files but it looks like there is no support yet for the GX1 in Elements 10 but the GF3 is I thought they may be the same codex but looks like they are not.:shrug:

petehb said:
Just updated Lightroom to 3.6 (thought I had done:D) It now reads the files but it looks like there is no support yet for the GX1 in Elements 10 but the GF3 is I thought they may be the same codex but looks like they are not.:shrug:

If you get the Lightroom free with the gf3 can u upgrade to Lightroom 4 for free.

If you get the Lightroom free with the gf3 can u upgrade to Lightroom 4 for free.

No cheapest I have seen is £59.55 from Amazon can't see a upgrade on the Adobe site. The upgrade to 3.6 is free though and that has worked for me.

I can confirm that Photoshop Elements 10 works with the GX1 as I use both for raw. You have to update to the latest acr through. If it doesn't see the update, I don't think it does, google for it. Still an easy update to acr 6.6 (I think).

petehb said:
No cheapest I have seen is £59.55 from Amazon can't see a upgrade on the Adobe site. The upgrade to 3.6 is free though and that has worked for me.

Cool. Can't complain for free though. If I manage to before the end of the month. Though flash and lens would've sold easier.

I doubt it. They usually just do free updates to whatever version you buy. You may be able to do a reduced price upgrade to 4, but it won't be free.
Allan

Back