"Panasonic G series" Owners Thread

How desirable is the flashgun for the G series?

As if I know anything! I went for a Nissin Di466 flash that operates both from the hotshoe and off camera / flash activated. I think it is simple to use, more effective and the power is easily changed. It can also act as master/slave1/slave2 and I thought that would give me some wider capabilities for the future.

The downside is that the head swivels un and down, but does not turn. Also if you get a LVF you cannot use the hotshoe.

You have a choice with Nissin, Metz and Panasonic. If you want a flash you pays your money.

Fair enough I have the Panasonic one but was just wondering as to how easy it will be to sell on

An external flash certainly isn't something I'd look at buying, but the only way you're really going to know if it'll sell is by trying to sell it.

The two on track shots were with the Panny 14-140mm. The bonnet emblem was either with the PL25mm f1.4 or the Oly 45mm f1.8.

Glad you like 'em :)

Simon.

Indeed I do and proves that m43 can do some sports :bonk:

What a lovely outlook you have on life, this is the best read I have had on this forum in a long time.:)

Very thought provoking too (y)

So, tomorrow I go to 'the Nats', I decided I had better get some practise in!! Long time since I used any sort of long lens . . . I went to the local air field where the guys were having a bit of a 'model fly in' . . . I discovered my technique needs some work:LOL:

CJS

Great shots of planes CJS

I suppose I should post up a few of my favourite shots taken with the G1 over the last year or so :)

I especially like the kitten and frosty snow scene (y)

I took this with my 45-200, at the time I was unaware of the extra optical zoom, so could of made them even better

Sy43.jpg

315960_10150263245776695_3302769_n.jpg

These are awesome - the bottom one could be on an advert or something

Just bought a manfrotto nano vii for my gx1 and 14 or 20 pancake.

Fits nicely and can put the other pancake in the bottom, also has space for a memory card or filter.

And only £15 from Jessops

manfrotto_nano_vii_bag_3.jpg

how many of you chaps and lassies use the image stabilisation all the time
has it any detrimental effect on shots taken at high speeds...500 for example
my lens is the 14-45
cheers
geof

An external flash certainly isn't something I'd look at buying, but the only way you're really going to know if it'll sell is by trying to sell it.

If you take pictures of people, pets etc in bright sunlight, Mandy, you will need flash and the onboard flash of these cameras are pretty weak. :)

Its one of those things that I know I should have in my bag, but in two years of doing more serious photography I don't feel that I've ever needed one.
I still class myself as a beginner and I think that's holding me back slightly in that at the moment I think that an off camera flash is just another thing I need to learn how to use properly.

my lens is the 14-45
cheers
geof

If and when I have IS I leave it on (I have the 14-42mm but don't use it much) and I haven't noticed any problems at any speed.

mrtoad said:
my lens is the 14-45
cheers
geof

If I'm using a tripod or am resting the camera on something I turn it off. The images are crisper. I didn't think they would be but there is a little something else there. I have a g1 and a 14-45.

Im trying to decide on the best lens option to take some photographs in a dimly lit restaurant with he ability to get decent bokeh to enable any distracting background to blur using my G3.

Im thinking the 20mm 1.7 will be adequate but then I read about the 25mm 1.4.

Any thought from hands on experience?

I dont like spending money where I don't need to!

Turned out nice. You pleased that you went back to m4/3?

Thanks - in a nutshell YES.

It started with the GF1 - I was so happy with the GF1+20mm combo - must have been love :help:

But I regretted selling it and since then I have had a G1, 7D, 5D2, 7D, D3100 and a D5100.

Even have a Nikon D800 sitting under my desk as I type (belongs to work and have had it here since Friday), but I have not even bothered to go out and play with it this weekend - instead it is the GX1 that I have been messing about with.

That kind of confirmed what I was subconciously thinking anyway - I'm not interested in big and 'pro' kit - I'm much happier inside (inner demons and internal debates) and with the pictures I take with the M43 kit.

I also have other more important things to spend my money on if I'm honest with myself and feel that one can produce pictures with modestly priced gear that (to most people) are equally as good.

Then theres the weight and portability of M43 (y)

Alan - I'm in Southend (actually Leigh) from time to time. If you want to play with a LVF2 for the GX1 would be happy to meet up. Usually weekends. That said, any more meets in Essex in the near future?

Alan,
I have had a look at some of your Flickr photos, Olympics. I notice a lot of Vineting? What lens/camera were you using . . . or have you put it in with PP?

CJS

Alan - I'm in Southend (actually Leigh) from time to time. If you want to play with a LVF2 for the GX1 would be happy to meet up. Usually weekends. That said, any more meets in Essex in the near future?

Great thanks for the offer - theres a thought and much cheaper than a 2nd body (y)

Not sure who organised an Essex meet but I missed it :thumbsdown:

Alan,
I have had a look at some of your Flickr photos, Olympics. I notice a lot of Vineting? What lens/camera were you using . . . or have you put it in with PP?

CJS

Hi CJS
I was playing around with a couple of PP effects - not to everyones taste I know (these were all with a Nikon D5100 and 18-55 kit lens).

Thanks

I haven't used the 20 1.7... There is going to be very little difference between the shutter speed you get with either lens, so speed isn't an issue. The 25mm seems to give better bokeh, but it is subjective. The 20 focuses slower, which may or may not matter and it is definitely smaller than the 25 if that's important to you...

So, tomorrow I go to 'the Nats', I decided I had better get some practise in!! Long time since I used any sort of long lens . . . I went to the local air field where the guys were having a bit of a 'model fly in' . . . I discovered my technique needs some work:LOL: but the Lancaster with a bit of PP did OK'ish?

Model Lancaster, Panasonic 45-200mm @ 200mm
1000Lancasterrw.jpg

Genuine artical, these are rich boys toys, doing final checks befor take off, Pannie at 200mm
1000checksystemsrw.jpg

Then it was lunch time, I had a wander around the hanger.

'Pitts Special' Panasonic, ISO400, 14-45mm, f3.5, 1/160sec.
1000Pittsinhangerrw.jpg

As I say, good job I had a go, I have forgotten so much, who was that said it shows . . . ?

CJS

All that thought and preperation, I went to the 'Nats' . . . 'all the best laid plans of mice and men' . . . minor desaster in the middle of the day. I neaver got to get the camera out . . . I get intimidated by crowds of people . . . ?????

CJS

I dont like spending money where I don't need to!

I have a 20mm f1.7, I also have a 25mm but I went for the manual f0.95 rather than the AF f1.4. FoV wise there isn't a lot in it, I've never tried the 25mm f1.4 but there doesn't seem to be much wrong with the 20mm f1.7 bokeh...

P1020170c.jpg

I normally use this lens when I want the most compact combination.

My picture seems to have gone... I'll try and get it back...

I have a 20mm f1.7, I also have a 25mm but I went for the manual f0.95 rather than the AF f1.4. FoV wise there isn't a lot in it, I've never tried the 25mm f1.4 but there doesn't seem to be much wrong with the 20mm f1.7 bokeh...

P1020170c.jpg

I normally use this lens when I want the most compact combination.

Thanks all for the replies. Alan that looks great and is leaning me towards the 20mm.

If I'm using a tripod or am resting the camera on something I turn it off. The images are crisper. I didn't think they would be but there is a little something else there. I have a g1 and a 14-45.

my thoughts recently using fast speeds and noticing a bit of softness...
thank you
geof

STOP, just when I think I have made a decision...:LOL:
They're straight out of camera JPEGs (well, nearly - a bit of cropping and a little boost here or there). I'm still waiting on G5 RAW support in Lightroom....

GX1 or G3. Used both, like both. Want compact as possible but the 14-42 gets bad press. Why is it so hard to choose.

Surely G5 and GX1 is the dream team? :)

Trying to decide between a G5 and an EM5 to replace my GF2...

Funnily enough I don't like the G5 much! Think the GX1 is the way forward!

JJ! said:
Funnily enough I don't like the G5 much! Think the GX1 is the way forward!

Have you factored in getting an evf for the gx1? If you really like the G3 (and you are really are in the the minority I reckon), you could get a second hand G3. I'd really encourage you to try a G5 though, way better than the G3

Tried the G5 today at Park Cameras and just didnt work for me. Was more like a mini SLR than a Compact system camera - depends what your looking for I guess!

I am used to shooting with screen only as had a G12 and the view finder might as well been not there!

JJ! said:
Tried the G5 today at Park Cameras and just didnt work for me. Was more like a mini SLR than a Compact system camera - depends what your looking for I guess!

I am used to shooting with screen only as had a G12 and the view finder might as well been not there!

Interesting the g5 is not that much bigger than the g3, but really makes the difference in terms of handling, but each to their own. Good luck with whatever you decide on ;)

I have a G5 as I need the EVF to actually see what's going on. I sold my GX1 to Spy as I can't see the screen unless it's at arms length... Boo for getting older :(

I still have a touch of GAS :nuts: but I'm waiting to see what the future brings and what the reviews say before I make a short list.

I may stay with Panny with a G5 or GH3 but I really want to see an improvement in DR and higher ISO performance and if neither is significant I may just give up and take a look at the Nex 6/7 as they are about to bring out a 35mm f1.8 which should have been out day one IMVHO. I may also take a look at whatever Fuji come up with and possibly the Samsung NX-whatever-it's-called.

It does still bug me that FBW is the norm now though and I suppose very low light shooting is going to be difficult until the VF technology improves, so I may just end up keeping what I have.

Last edited:
I may stay with Panny with a G5 or GH3 but I really want to see an improvement in DR and higher ISO performance
G5 is basically the same sensor as the GH2, so a bit of a boost in range at low ISO, nothing at high ISO over the G3/GX1. GH3 is where you need to be looking for a Panny body by the looks of it. This is what 43rumors had to say (I'm guessing you know this but just in case) in this post: http://www.43rumors.com/ft5-panason...range-sensor-12-800-iso-and-72mbits-in-video/ ...

43rumors said:
According to two of our best sources the new Panasonic GH3 has a new 16 megapixel sensor. It is not the same of the Panasonic G5! Panasonic defined this as a “Wide Dynamic Range” sensor. As we know from past we have to see soem real test before to know if that is just a “marketing slogan” or a real major improvement. One source said firmware is not final but the dynamic range increase looks like to be more in the shadows than in the highlights. ISO goes up to 12.800.

Yup.

Personally I doubt Panny can match the latest offerings from others and what's to come but only time will tell.

Back