"Panasonic G series" Owners Thread

Have you used them?

I think that the Zuiko primes look gorgeous. I have 28mm f2.8, 50mm f1.8 and 135mm f3.5. I always wanted some but I actually prefer the Rokkors in use. They're not as gorgeous to look at but they have intermediate f stops and the aperture rings feel smoother than the IMVHO rather snappy clangy Zuiko ones. However, the Zuiko aperture rings are more positive and the Rokkors can be moved accidentally. Optically my Rokkor and Zuiko 28 and 135mm's seem pretty similar but the Rokkor 50mm f1.8 gives more contrast straight out of the camera than my Rokkor 55mm f1.7.

The 85f2 was nice when I tried it out on my dads g3. Not used any others but will certainly give them ago.

I have already posted some pictures in the appropriate sections. I just got fed up with lugging all my heavy gear around, as I am getting older it was getting more difficult. Now all my gear including a Nissin 446 Di flash and Gorilla pod fits in a Tamrac System Two bag and weighs less than a quarter than all my Canon gear............:):)

What legacy macro lenses are people using?

so I think I'd rather go for a Zuiko 50mm f3.5.

Is there enything else I could be looking at? Ideally a f2.8 in Minolta MC/MD or Zuiko fit or something else that adapters are available for?

I've just picked up a Zuiko 50mm f3.5 and my initial thoughts are that it works well on m4/3rds. With limited usage indoors in this horrible grey weather it seems to show excellent colour and sharpness.

This is a chilli flower, smaller than a 5p.

8575689312_f4513ed944_b.jpg

What legacy macro lenses are people using?

I use a Sigma 150mm f2.8 on my 5D and I'm very happy with it. I don't really do macro as such, just close ups of flowers and the like but I'd like something to use on my G1 that'll get closer and fill more of the frame than my 50mm lenses.

I've been looking at listings for Minolta and Zuiko 50mm macros and either would do as I have adapters for both but I'd look at other fittings too if adapters are available.

I've seen Monolta 50mm's but they look 'orrible to me :puke:...

mm1_zps88f50579.jpg

so I think I'd rather go for a Zuiko 50mm f3.5.

Is there enything else I could be looking at? Ideally a f2.8 in Minolta MC/MD or Zuiko fit or something else that adapters are available for?

I have just seen the pic, it didnt load before on my phone, that was the macro lens for minolta's vectis camera, their aps film camera, I always thought it looked a little odd!

What are the other options on the telephoto lenses? I've got the 45-200 which is reasonably decent, but not sure what alternatives there are for air show season.

i am thinking about one of these for birding
are they decent on the long end?

cheers
geof

Some of my best pictures were taken with my 45-200 and yes they are fine at 200mm............:)

I have ordered the Lumix 100-300mm IOS, to give me a little extra each...:)

I have ordered the Lumix 100-300mm IOS, to give me a little extra each...:)

I'd be interested in your thoughts when you have a chance to use it. I have the 45-200 and wonder if I should move that on for the 100-300.

With the 12-35, the 35-100 makes a lot of sense (to me at least) and then the 100-300 for the far end.

Most of my photography is Wildlife or motor sport so the 100-300 will be much better than my 45-200 although I have had some great results with it. I should be posting results with the new lens early next week....:)

I received my Sigma 50mm f2.8 macro today. It looks like new and it'll focus crazy close. I think I'm going to like it :D

I can't go out and play with it as we've got decorators in and the house is upside down, but I'm pretty sure that I'm going to be very very happy with it.

£78 delivered from Ffordes.

Need to try before I buy, but that is a good few months away after my big spend at focus and ordering 2 new sofas the other day.

I received my Sigma 50mm f2.8 macro today. It looks like new and it'll focus crazy close. I think I'm going to like it :D

I can't go out and play with it as we've got decorators in and the house is upside down, but I'm pretty sure that I'm going to be very very happy with it.

£78 delivered from Ffordes.

Sounds good, look forward to seeing some pics from it (y) How about a nice macro shot of a paint brush while they are there :D

Here are some "test" shots off my Kiron 105 f2.8

SooC (g5 jpegs) no editing done at all

Stobart Model @ f2.8 by scilly puffin, on Flickr

Stobart model @ f8 by scilly puffin, on Flickr

Stobart Model @ f16 by scilly puffin, on Flickr

Noooo. I have the hands of a surgeon and can cope quite easily with the bloated things that pass for small SLR type cameras these days.

My point, as well you know :D is how far Panasonic have strayed from the original concept with this bloated beast.

Despite my comments in another thread about not being able to see myself buying any more Canon fit gear if Panny don't get their finger out and make something I want to buy I could see myself ditching Panny for a small DSLR and just a couple of compact-ish primes. Especially as I'm increasingly irritated by my G1's eye strain causing EFV.

Last edited:
I've got a GF3 with the 14-42 x zoom lens on it. It's quite a good little set up but I'm really thinking of changing to a Sony RX100 or possibly now the 100D just to see what it's like. Might wait for some reviews on it first before selling the Panny and investing in another system.

I agree makes no sense, still uses EF-S and EF lenses, complete imbalance IMO

With just a few compact primes and a kit lens it'll make sense. I'd miss the in view histograme and magnified view of MFT though.

I've got a GF3 with the 14-42 x zoom lens on it. It's quite a good little set up but I'm really thinking of changing to a Sony RX100 or possibly now the 100D just to see what it's like. Might wait for some reviews on it first before selling the Panny and investing in another system.

£561? This must be fantasy, certainly not my reality :puke: :D

I've decided that the micro four/thirds thing isn't for me so I'm selling up... My gear's for sale on here if anyone's interested.

As interesting as the new 100D looks, I think it may be a bit too small as well. I could have some fun using it with some small, fast primes though. :)

I've decided that the micro four/thirds thing isn't for me so I'm selling up... My gear's for sale on here if anyone's interested.

As interesting as the new 100D looks, I think it may be a bit too small as well. I could have some fun using it with some small, fast primes though. :)

That new Canon needs to shed a couple of hundred quid I think. I can't see any justification for it costing something between £200-300 more than their base APS-C model.

Small form cameras are the future for me, but I am losing patience with MFT. I think the main problem for me is still the light output from the EVF, I need a new technology to come along.

Sounds good, look forward to seeing some pics from it (y) How about a nice macro shot of a paint brush while they are there :D

I think it'll be next Thursday before I stand a chance of getting out.

Mobile phone, just to show what it looks like...

_1130128c_zps12193470.jpg

Whole image taken handheld at min focus distance to get the DoF running through the middle of the "8" or there abouts...

_1130126c_zps05b470c2.jpg

Both shots at f2.8. Can't judge sharpness here as it's ISO 1000, handheld, and via photobucket, but on my screen handheld practice shots tell me that it'll be easily good enough.

Last edited:
Noooo. I have the hands of a surgeon and can cope quite easily with the bloated things that pass for small SLR type cameras these days.

My point, as well you know :D is how far Panasonic have strayed from the original concept with this bloated beast.

Despite my comments in another thread about not being able to see myself buying any more Canon fit gear if Panny don't get their finger out and make something I want to buy I could see myself ditching Panny for a small DSLR and just a couple of compact-ish primes. Especially as I'm increasingly irritated by my G1's eye strain causing EFV.

I too am looking at Panasonic and wondering where they are going? I'm hanging on to the G1, simply because of the way it handles, technology has left it behind.

The point about the EVF is well made woof Woof, but I use my G1 at waist high with the animated screen as the view finder, I find waist high is a good perspective. If I could find a modern 'G1 type' replacement; size, handling and an animated screen, I'd change tomorrow.

Nikons P7700 almost does it for me, but the in camera image transfer is simply to slow?

CJS
CJS

I too am looking at Panasonic and wondering where they are going? I'm hanging on to the G1, simply because of the way it handles, technology has left it behind.

The point about the EVF is well made woof Woof, but I use my G1 at waist high with the animated screen as the view finder, I find waist high is a good perspective. If I could find a modern 'G1 type' replacement; size, handling and an animated screen, I'd change tomorrow.

Nikons P7700 almost does it for me, but the in camera image transfer is simply to slow?

CJS
CJS

I'm going to give the Nikon 1 system a try. Already picked up a couple of lenses... the 18.5mm is about half the size and a third of the weight of the equivalent 25mm Panasonic. Sure there are compromises with the smaller sensor but it does allow for a genuinely compact system. Now that it seems to be growing up with an ultrawide zoom already available and a 32mm f1.2 in the pipeline it's suddenly got a whole lot more interesting!

In good light I like my G1 but as the light falls I find that the EVF turns into a torch and I find it very hard to use. If that issue could be solved I'd be a lot happier.

Current generation and no doubt future Panasonic G models will improve on G1 performance, especially at higher ISO's but as the EVF technology will be the same I can't see how buying one will help me that much.

I tried a Nex 6 in a Sony centre and it too had an EVF torch effect when I tried it in a less well lit part of the shop. I couldn't tell if it was any better than the G1 but at that initial trial it seemed to be a problem. I asume that the Fuji is the same. The strange thing is that I seem to be one of few people complaining about this, perhaps my eyes are different to those of other humans :help:

If you are looking for a G1 type camera with better performance will the G5 or whatever comes next not interest you? There's always the Samsung, I can't remember the model number but it's G1 like, has an APS-C chip and I believe also has a max shutter speed of 1/8000 which should enable wide aperture shooting in good light without ND's.

In good light I like my G1 but as the light falls I find that the EVF turns into a torch and I find it very hard to use. If that issue could be solved I'd be a lot happier.

Current generation and no doubt future Panasonic G models will improve on G1 performance, especially at higher ISO's but as the EVF technology will be the same I can't see how buying one will help me that much.

I tried a Nex 6 in a Sony centre and it too had an EVF torch effect when I tried it in a less well lit part of the shop. I couldn't tell if it was any better than the G1 but at that initial trial it seemed to be a problem. I asume that the Fuji is the same. The strange thing is that I seem to be one of few people complaining about this, perhaps my eyes are different to those of other humans :help:

If you are looking for a G1 type camera with better performance will the G5 or whatever comes next not interest you? There's always the Samsung, I can't remember the model number but it's G1 like, has an APS-C chip and I believe also has a max shutter speed of 1/8000 which should enable wide aperture shooting in good light without ND's.

Hi Woof Woof, had a hands on of the G5 in Jessops . . . it just did not 'come to hand' like the G1 does . . . :shrug: I dont take many pictures in poor light . . . may be that because I know the technology of my camera kit is out dated in this respect? And I dont use the EVF very much, prefering the flip screen and waist high perspective.

The lack of flip screen will always be an issue with me, because of my preferance for the low perspective, plus, I have mobility problems, not young any more and a dodgy knee.

I might go and have another try with the G5??? Samsung, which model, does it have the animated screen?

Generaly, I get the feeling camera companies are thrashing around in the high tech world, doing things that frankly, we could do without and not concentrating on the essentials . . . Trouble is, thats the world today, digitaly driven, the buying public seem to be impressed with gadgets and gizmoes, and want more . . . :shake:

Sorry, I'm not impressed, CJS

I've actually been out with my camera recently and have been impressed with the versatility of the G5 coupled with the 14-140mm lens. I've had just about all the Panasonic cameras (apart from the GH series) and the G1 still remains my absolute fav (handling wise), but the G5 is not too bad.

Took this shot balancing on the underground railings, whilst getting the zoom just right, whilst waiting for the coke advert and logo to cycle around again.

8584456923_5452d7b0e3_c.jpg

Last edited:
I might go and have another try with the G5??? Samsung, which model, does it have the animated screen?

I'm not sure what you mean by animated screen, but the Samsung range is very similar to the Panasonic range in that you can get ones without a VF, like the Panny GF range, and ones with a VF like the NX20, whick look like the Panny G range.

Here's a link to the NX20 at DPR...

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/4755461255/samsung-nx20-first-impressions

I don't know if this is the latest model so you'll have to do some Googling if you're interested. I'm pretty sure that Panasonic will be bringing out a new G camera soon too as the rumour sites have mentioned it so it might be worth hanging on and seeing if the new stuff could be suitable.

I've actually been out with my camera recently and have been impressed with the versatility of the G5 coupled with the 14-140mm lens.

The G1 does have a lot going for it and I've thought about getting that 14-140mm myself :D

Sold all my Canon gear, I now have a G5 + 4 lenses the best move I have ever made in photography, my entire gear is lightweight and all fits in a reletivley small bag................:LOL::LOL:

Sold all my Canon gear, I now have a G5 + 4 lenses the best move I have ever made in photography, my entire gear is lightweight and all fits in a reletivley small bag................:LOL::LOL:

Congratulations Jeff, refreshing isn't it (y) I'd never go back to DSLR again.

I'm not sure what you mean by animated screen, but the Samsung range is very similar to the Panasonic range in that you can get ones without a VF, like the Panny GF range, and ones with a VF like the NX20, whick look like the Panny G range.

Here's a link to the NX20 at DPR...

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/4755461255/samsung-nx20-first-impressions

I don't know if this is the latest model so you'll have to do some Googling if you're interested. I'm pretty sure that Panasonic will be bringing out a new G camera soon too as the rumour sites have mentioned it so it might be worth hanging on and seeing if the new stuff could be suitable.

'Animated'; moving, articulated, swivel screen . . .
CJSF

'Animated'; moving, swivel screen . . .
CJSF

You have misunderstood the word, animated doesn't quite mean that, but articulated does.

an·i·mat·ed
Adjective
Full of life or excitement; lively.
(of a movie) Made using animation techniques.
Synonyms
lively - vivacious - sprightly - alive - spirited

ar·tic·u·lat·ed
Adjective
Having two or more sections connected by a flexible joint.

You have misunderstood the word, animated doesn't quite mean that, but articulated does.

. . . One of the descriptions in my Thesaurus is 'Active' . . . in my dyslexic world thats good enough for me, sorry I'm not 'perfect' :bonk:

Did not know we were still at school, I thougt I left 50 years ago? . . . but I will go write it out 100 times if it will please you :shrug: . . . dominant . . . :naughty:

if it will please you :shrug: . . . dominant . . . :naughty:

Not at all, and if it didn't totally change the meaning of the phrase I wouldn't have mentioned it.

But if it offends you so badly, sorry, I'll let you remain in your ignorance and not mention it in the future. It will make accurate answering to posts containing words used out of context quite difficult though :shrug:.

The English language is a constantly evolving and changing thing so I'm sure we'll all do just fine and personally I can forgive a few typo's, spelling mistakes and wrongly used words as long as we keep talking gear and showing each other our pictures.

It's what this thread is best for, IMVHO :D

Back