"Panasonic G series" Owners Thread

Batteries seem to be on offer at the mo, or at least they were the last time I looked.

I like primes myself but at that price I may have been tempted.

I topped up on original batteries, they are better than the 3rd party one I got from eBay. I suspect there are a few of us now going to be watching their site waiting for another deal!

Took the camera for a wander around today. Too gloomy and cold to be enjoyable.

I have learned that Panasonic will be supporting Camera World at the show since they will not be there themselves . It seems it will be worth a visit to Camera Worlds stand just to check what is on offer or not :)
I will be there on the Monday if anyone would like to meet up for a coffee.:)

Last edited:
It's been a few months since I had an Explore on Flickr, so I was rather surprised by this snap hitting #65 on the Explore chart the day after I uploaded it...

3,391 views and 71 favourites yesterday :O

Staircase, Bodmin Gaol by cybertect, on Flickr

Panny G2 with just the kit 14-42 lens providing IS for a 1/4 sec exposure.

Last edited:
I am now the owner of a panasonic g5 and 14mm, thanks ti focus at the nec! I also looked at the GH3, and really liked it. Took a look at the 100-300 too, that was a very pleasing lens, nice handling even on the G5,

Congrats Michael, I've not held the GH3, but I could not justify the cost when I have a OMD as well as G5 and old but lovely EP-3

Congrats Michael, I've not held the GH3, but I could not justify the cost when I have a OMD as well as G5 and old but lovely EP-3

I looked at the omd last year and it was that stopped me from buying anything else, but couldnt afford it. Then I saw the price at focus and well I couldnt walk on without buying it. I am going to wait until the new 14-42 is available and probably get that depending on price.
The Gh3 just felt right and with the grip it was even better, I did think of selling up my canon gear for it!

Is it much bigger than a g5?

I fought the temptation of going to Focus so I wouldn't spend any money :)

Here you go...

http://camerasize.com/compare/#381,347

GH3-5-1_zps2ebf592a.jpg

http://camerasize.com/compact/#381,347,ha,t

GH3-5-2_zpsff2ec502.jpg

I can see the attraction of a GH3 but TBH it's not for me. It's actually bigger than some smaller APS-C DSLR's and I bought into MFT as a more compact system so if this is the future I'll be buying a Nex, or summot.

Last edited:
Here you go...

I can see the attraction of a GH3 but TBH it's not for me. It's actually bigger than some smaller APS-C DSLR's and I bought into MFT as a more compact system so if this is the future I'll be buying a Nex, or summot.

I would agree, it's weird to think of a m4/3rds body that is as big as a 650D

http://camerasize.com/compare/#381,333

8535393804_0680c4bdf8_b.jpg

Or D5200

http://camerasize.com/compare/#381,393

8534295911_5826a4fe98.jpg

They seem to lost the basic ethos of what m4/3rds was supposed to be.

Last edited:
I would agree, it's weird to think of a m4/3rds body that is as big as a 650D

They seem to lost the basic ethos of what m4/3rds was supposed to be.

I think the GH3 was designed with Vid in mind. I'm pretty sure that the next G (G6?) will be more compact.

TBH I'm getting sick of waiting for a Panny I want to buy, I think my MFT days are numbered. Nex 6 and Fuji are perhaps options for me but I'm just as likely to go back to DSLR's.

You could be right, but the size jump was rather large (and quite unexpected IMO).

Last edited:
I've been interested in the M4/3 system for a while now and borrowed a GF2 along with a Lumix 45-200 and 14-42 kit lens from a mate.
I was quite impressed with the size, weight and IQ that I bought the body and kit lens from him.
I've recently bought a G5 with the X14-42 from Park Cameras for £499 including a free battery.
I also bought a 45-200 from the Classifieds here on TP.
All I need now is decent light to try the new kit out.
This may seem a daft question but I have quite a few Canon EF "L" lenses. Is their an adapter to allow me to use them on the G5? All the adapters I have heard mentioned are for the older FD mount.

Here is a shot of my young Springer pup taken with the GF2 + 45-200.
Incidentally, it is my most viewed shot on Flickr with almost 1400 views

Bracken Sit!! by mike.stephen99, on Flickr

TBH I'm getting sick of waiting for a Panny I want to buy, I think my MFT days are numbered. Nex 6 and Fuji are perhaps options for me but I'm just as likely to go back to DSLR's.

I've just picked up an NEX-7 after spending a lot of time going through the various options from Panasonic and Olympus. I currently only use legacy lenses, so the focus peaking and high resolution EVF were a big draw for me. The GH3 and OMD were just too expensive for me, and I didn't feels the G5 offered any real improvement over my GH2 so that left me with Sony. After much deliberation, I decided to go with the higher resolution NEX-7 mainly because I can count on one hand the times during a year that I need to use an ISO higher than 1600 so any noise advantage the smaller resolution 6 has over the 7 wasn't really important to me.

So far so good :). The NEX-7 isn't perfect (there isn't a camera out there that is), but it is very, very good and the IQ from the APS-C sensor is superb. I've kept my GH2, and the pair compliment each other very well.

The Sony NEX (and Fuji) system is definitely worth considering along with the usual suspects from Panny and Oly.

Cheers,

Simon.

Went out with my OMD, EP3 and G5 last week, here some from the G5 and 14-140mm lens, great walkabout combo. Was unsure about getting the 14-140, but it proved really useful in this situation.

8542854846_c14a9c7a92_c_d.jpg

8535454032_d8f7fd46bb_c_d.jpg

8529607638_731d1e3272_c_d.jpg

8524272429_9b129f056e_c_d.jpg

Those pics are really nice Julian, would you recommend the 14-140? Whats the iq like at the long end?

A couple of other questions too

flashguns , what do people use with there g series cameras

and is there anyway of opening g5 raw files in camera raw on elements 10.

Thanks Michael, I would recommend the 14-140, such a versatile range, doesn't match the quality of primes like the 25mm, 45mm etc that I own but the compromise is very useful in terms of range

I've just picked up an NEX-7.....

The Sony NEX (and Fuji) system is definitely worth considering along with the usual suspects from Panny and Oly.

Cheers,

Simon.

All good and interesting stuff there Simon :D I am interested in the Fuji but I read that the base ISO is 200, 100 only being available as an extended JPEG only mode :puke:

I'll almost certainly wait and see what Oly and Panny bring out but I suspect that they'll move away from ISO 100. Shame, as that'll push me towards Sony but I like to fold the rear screen to the camera and Sony don't allow that. What I'd really like is a GF1 style camera (like the Nex) with built in VF (like the Nex) but with an articulated screen like the G1 and the chances of anyone making that camera are basically zero :(

Having said all that. I'm increasingly irritated by my G1 EVF light output in low light and I probably wont be buying any CSC that gives anything like the same problem.

What are the other options on the telephoto lenses? I've got the 45-200 which is reasonably decent, but not sure what alternatives there are for air show season.

Last edited:
The 14mm is a cracking little lens for the price.
I didn't really like it when I had it the first time round when i only had the G2, but I re-bought it recently when I got the GF3.
Its now almost permanently on the GF3 with my Sigma 19mm being my most used lens on the G2.

What legacy macro lenses are people using?

I use a Sigma 150mm f2.8 on my 5D and I'm very happy with it. I don't really do macro as such, just close ups of flowers and the like but I'd like something to use on my G1 that'll get closer and fill more of the frame than my 50mm lenses.

I've been looking at listings for Minolta and Zuiko 50mm macros and either would do as I have adapters for both but I'd look at other fittings too if adapters are available.

I've seen Monolta 50mm's but they look 'orrible to me :puke:...

mm1_zps88f50579.jpg

so I think I'd rather go for a Zuiko 50mm f3.5.

Is there enything else I could be looking at? Ideally a f2.8 in Minolta MC/MD or Zuiko fit or something else that adapters are available for?

Thanks.

I've just this morning ordered a Sigma 50mm f2.8.

I thought I'd go for a 50mm as I've been using a 50mm f1.7 as my sort of standard walk around lens, the only problem with it being that I can't always get the framing I want when shooting flowers etc. The Sigma should help me get tighter framing and the 1:1 is there if I want it.

I really wanted a Rokkor or manybe a Zuiko 50mm but all that I could find are the ugly Rokkors :razz: and f3.5 1:2 Zuiko's.

Anyway, I'll be getting the Sigma soon and I'll post some pictures... when the weather improves :help:

Have you used them?

I think that the Zuiko primes look gorgeous. I have 28mm f2.8, 50mm f1.8 and 135mm f3.5. I always wanted some but I actually prefer the Rokkors in use. They're not as gorgeous to look at but they have intermediate f stops and the aperture rings feel smoother than the IMVHO rather snappy clangy Zuiko ones. However, the Zuiko aperture rings are more positive and the Rokkors can be moved accidentally. Optically my Rokkor and Zuiko 28 and 135mm's seem pretty similar but the Rokkor 50mm f1.8 gives more contrast straight out of the camera than my Rokkor 55mm f1.7.

After many years with Canon gear I sold the lot and bought a Lumix G5 with three lenses 14mm, 14-42mm and 43-200mm. I am absolutley delighted with my new gear. :)

Last edited:
What legacy macro lenses are people using?

I use a Sigma 150mm f2.8 on my 5D and I'm very happy with it. I don't really do macro as such, just close ups of flowers and the like but I'd like something to use on my G1 that'll get closer and fill more of the frame than my 50mm lenses.

I've been looking at listings for Minolta and Zuiko 50mm macros and either would do as I have adapters for both but I'd look at other fittings too if adapters are available.

I've seen Monolta 50mm's but they look 'orrible to me :puke:...

mm1_zps88f50579.jpg

so I think I'd rather go for a Zuiko 50mm f3.5.

Is there enything else I could be looking at? Ideally a f2.8 in Minolta MC/MD or Zuiko fit or something else that adapters are available for?

Have you tought about using the native macros? I have the PL45 and can tell you it is a great lens. Both for macro and for general use. It has a specific rendering, not dry and clinical at all, that makes me use it more than its fair share

P10202668i.jpg

6.jpg

Have you tought about using the native macros? I have the PL45 and can tell you it is a great lens. Both for macro and for general use. It has a specific rendering, not dry and clinical at all, that makes me use it more than its fair share

Yes, and I'm sure they very good and probably better than the legacy lenses I've been using but... the legacy lenses are just such nice mechanical things and I suppose I'm just going through a little legacy prime phase at the moment.

And to be honest I don't want to invest any more money in MFT as I'm increasingly disillusioned and frustrated with the system as delivered by Panasonic and Olympus. The beauty of legacy primes is that they're not tied to MFT and if I ditch MFT and buy a Fuji or a Nex I can continue to use them.

After many years with Canon gear I sold the lot and bought a Lumix G5 with three lenses 14mm, 14-42mm and 43-200mm. I am absolutley delighted with my new gear. :)

Great stuff, but we need a longwinded explanation of why you switched systems :D and you need to post pictures you've taken with your new gear :D

Back