"Panasonic G series" Owners Thread

Yes, I read that about the new shutter but a couple of things put me off buying a new Panasonic...

I'd really like constant dof preview in all modes.
I'd really like auto ISO in all modes with the ability to dial in exposure compensation.

They've recently added auto ISO to manual mode (I have this with my G7 but not with my GX7) but there's no ability to apply exposure compensation in manual mode and AFAIK this is still the case with the newer cameras, GX8 and GX80. I use this ability quite a bit with my A7 as it's convenient to be able to dial in a shutter speed and an aperture and let the ISO float as needed.

I can imagine Panasonic adding my two much loved Sony features to their cameras at some point... or maybe they'll just add exposure comp. at some point, I hope that they do but until they do I don't really see too much advantage in changing for me although the shutter shock issue did surprise and shock me but for me it seems to be limited to the 14-42mm mega O.I.S.

One feature that I've come to really like is the GX7's tilting EVF and I wouldn't like to lose that now and the GX80 doesn't have it.

I'm fussy.

Anyway, a small GX7/GX80 type body with a capable kit lens for good light shooting and a fast prime for lower light and creative shooting would make a really good and small system that'd cover 90% of many peoples needs :D

On the GX80 it works like the GX7 you press the thumb dial in and the chose +- what ever you want to use, it can be applied on all modes as far as I'm aware, Will test out tomorrow at work.

I was having a little play with the GX80 in my back garden to see how the Kit lens fairs and also to see how good the Post Focus mode was, these are the results.

And a little shot just playing out side the store when we had a massive thunder storm.

1000048.jpg 1000049.jpg 1000016.jpg

On the GX80 it works like the GX7 you press the thumb dial in and the chose +- what ever you want to use, it can be applied on all modes as far as I'm aware, Will test out tomorrow at work.

Are we talking about exposure compensation in manual exposure mode?

If we are I'd be interested to know if the camera allows it but page 132 of the manual details the modes which allow this and Manual doesn't seem to be amongst them. Such a shame IMHO as I really like this feature with my A7 and there's no easy way to duplicate it with a Panasonic camera. All you can do is change the ISO manually. Granted that just means pressing a button and turning a dial but with my Sony I don't have to bother with the button push and can set all three parameters with a dial.

Are we talking about exposure compensation in manual exposure mode?

If we are I'd be interested to know if the camera allows it but page 132 of the manual details the modes which allow this and Manual doesn't seem to be amongst them. Such a shame IMHO as I really like this feature with my A7 and there's no easy way to duplicate it with a Panasonic camera. All you can do is change the ISO manually. Granted that just means pressing a button and turning a dial but with my Sony I don't have to bother with the button push and can set all three parameters with a dial.
Yes we are, and I've just tested and confirmed by my Panasonic trainer it's only possible in P A S mode not full Manual, seems a little odd to me, but I do t use M that often these days.

Yes, it' disappointing.

I tend to use manual quite a bit as in low light in Aperture mode the camera will select too low a shutter speed for moving subjects and in shutter mode the camera will select the widest aperture so dialling in a more suitable aperture and shutter and letting the ISO float in auto ISO helps but it's a great advantage to then be able to dial in compensation.

I really don't want to buy another camera without this ability.

I just thought I'd enthuse a little about the benefits of in view exposure aids and modern software. The following shots were taken with my GX7 and processed in CS5. I'm no expert on post capture processing so this is just basic stuff but what went through my mind is that these pictures would have been a right faff on a few years ago with my Canon 5D and whilst I got these first time with my GX7 with my 5D I'd have had to shoot, chimp and reshoot or take a series of shots at different exposure settings and pick the best.

Anyway, average shots taken on my way back from the shops but IMO impressive camera and software performance...

I spot metered off the roof of the house through the tress and dialled in compensation with an eye on the histogram. This held the sky and raised the shadows a little but still resulted in a very dark foreground. I then used the select brush to paint exposure compensation and raise the shadows which resulted in a useable shot. This would have been next to impossible to get with just one shot and my 5D.

All shots taken with GX7 and Olympus 17mm f1.8.

This was a similar shot, again I got a useable shot the first time. The flowers were in a little pool of light with shadow pretty much all around so I metered off the flowers and dialled in a little compensation and select brush painted exposure compensation as appropriate.

This last shot would have been very difficult with my 5D as the scene was very bright through the trees but with an eye on the histogram it was easy to get it first time with the GX7.

I took shots like these side by side with my G1 and 5D several years ago and they convinced me that it wasn't just the saving in bulk and weight that made mirrorless the future for me :D

Last edited:
Still playing with my GX7 and 17mm f1.8 and this time I took it out to compare it to my A7, it didn't do too badly :D

Staithes.

100% crop from that last one.

Very nice, which 17mm ?

Ah, sorry... Olympus 17mm f1.8. IMO it's a very nice lens. Snapped this flower too...

100%...

They are very nice, something to add to my list of lens now in have my GX80.

Cheers.

Alan your Stathes pics look overexposed compared to your general history of pictures in the forum.
Did you change anything about resizing/posting them?

Alan your Stathes pics look overexposed compared to your general history of pictures in the forum.
Did you change anything about resizing/posting them?
They don't look over exposed to me, certainly nothing is blown.

You sure it's not just the strangeness of seeing pictures I've taken in sunlight rather than the twilight we get in my part of the world for 364.5 days of the year?

On a more serious note, I took my Sony A7 to Staithes and shot with that too and until you look at the shots at 100% they're similar, exposure wise anyway although the A7 shots are sharper at 100%.

They don't look over exposed to me, certainly nothing is blown.

They look over exposed to me too, on both the machines I've viewed this thread on. Histogram also shows a strong bias towards the highlights

Untitled.png

Surely the histogram shows the percentage of highlights in a picture and does not mean it is overexposed. A histogram might be able to show clipping if you look closely. But those spikes don't say it is overexposed.

Last edited:
Looking at the two images believe me, they're not over exposed.

They were both shot with evaluative metering and the first image was boosted +0.3 which IMO is neither here nor there as IMO the camera underexposes scenes like this and it's not the only camera to do so. It's normal to either dial in some compo or add later. The second image was boosted +1.35 to lift the shadows and the highlights were then brought down and by more than that. I could have done it the other way around but the end result would look the same and indeed the images probably show more highlight detail than I saw with my eyes as sometimes the light is quite harsh as on the day, it wasn't a clear blue sky day more of a not so clear but a bit of haze and glare day.

The histogram posted by Sam doesn't exactly match what I see on my screen. On my screen there's a smidgen more room on the RHS.

Last edited:
Got a S/H 45-175 on loan so been trying it,some decent light would have been nice.

P1010260.jpg

You must be a mind reader mike, I was just weighing up wether to borrow the 45-175 or 100-300 for Airday this weekend, and I think the 45-175 is it as the other one is a bit over kill.

Your photo has some lovely detail, and looks pretty sharp, the nano coating also swings it for me.

Got a S/H 45-175 on loan so been trying it,some decent light would have been nice.

View attachment 67884

Thanks,one reason i decided to try it was its supposed to be on the list for firmware update to give it dual stabilizing with the GX8,the firmware was out of date so i have just updated it but no dual stabilizing

OK I didn't realise that, I will take a look as I have the GX80 which also have dual ois.

Will report back with how I get on.

Thanks,one reason i decided to try it was its supposed to be on the list for firmware update to give it dual stabilizing with the GX8,the firmware was out of date so i have just updated it but no dual stabilizing

OK so i have looked and the Lens was up to date, My GX8 body was not so i have updated this, and also tested it on my GX80 both are the same and say the Lens stabilization is working, If i put on the kit 12-32 lens it says Dual IOS is working.

I also tested the 100-300 and the Macro 45mm with the same results, only Lens stabilization working.

I'm wondering if it is working but not reporting it correctly.

OK so i have looked and the Lens was up to date, My GX8 body was not so i have updated this, and also tested it on my GX80 both are the same and say the Lens stabilization is working, If i put on the kit 12-32 lens it says Dual IOS is working.

I also tested the 100-300 and the Macro 45mm with the same results, only Lens stabilization working.

I'm wondering if it is working but not reporting it correctly.

The 100-300 is lens or body only as far as i know,the macro i have no idea about,it looks like they have not got a update for dual on the 45-175.

Since borrowing the 45-175 i can actually find our if i can do my BIF with a EVF,looking promising after my first try.

Fly for dinner

P1010327.jpg

P1010366.jpg

Very nice shots, it's a great little zoom lens, feels sturdy and pretty sharp.

Hopefully it does me well at the weekend, just need to work out which focus setting to use for Aerial displays as I think 49area might be a bit off, was thinking 1 area set to the middle !

Great results there.

I have to admit that I can't get a sharp picture out of my 45-200mm without a tripod or flash... I'll have to work on my technique :(

Great results there.

I have to admit that I can't get a sharp picture out of my 45-200mm without a tripod or flash... I'll have to work on my technique :(

Thats why the shutter speed is 1,000th ime getting old ;)

Ah, that makes me feel better :D but I often can't get anywhere near that sort of shutter speed with a f5.6 at the long end zoom, not without the ISO getting very high anyway.

I'll have another go on a nice bright day :D

Ah, that makes me feel better :D but I often can't get anywhere near that sort of shutter speed with a f5.6 at the long end zoom, not without the ISO getting very high anyway.

I'll have another go on a nice bright day :D

Yes i just put up with the ISO,the Swallow and Egret where both 1600,i run auto iso with manual shutter speed of 1000th @ f7.1

Yes i just put up with the ISO,the Swallow and Egret where both 1600,i run auto iso with manual shutter speed of 1000th @ f7.1

I had initially thought that my 45-200mm was soft and had been stopping it down a bit and that hits the shutter speed and / or ISO but it's actually quite sharp and gives good quality wide open at each end of the range... I just need to give it a chance :D

I bought it to try the longer lengths and I must get out more and try it. I'll follow your lead and make sure that the shutter speed is high enough to overcome the handicap of it being me working the kit :D

One more from today

How soon the kids grow up
P1010399.jpg
Camera​
DMC-GX8​
Focal Length​
127mm​
Aperture​
f/7.1​
Exposure​
1/1000s​
ISO​
400​

Very nice shot, looks really sharp and the blur is great.

Very nice shot, looks really sharp and the blur is great.

Cheers :). I find the Panny 45-150 is superb up to around 100mm. After that, performance drops as you head towards the long end.

Simon.

Again lovely shots Simon.

Really should make an effort to get to Btcc again, been years and thruxton is only a hour or so away.

Some advice on jpeg settings for the GX8 please.

I shoot raw but ime sure somewhere in the menu i have seen some settings for sharpness ect in jpeg mode,going to a wedding soon and want to do the stuff the pro will miss,there is no florescent lighting so i will use E shutter in silent mode,ime fully expecting to be handing the couple a few hundred shots on a memory stick so dont want to do any heavy processing.
Had a lot of experience assisting at weddings(my late wife was a time served wedding and portrait photographer and i assisted her for 20 years) so will be capable of keeping out of the pros way and with the silent shutter not be taking the guests attention away.

Think i have the jpeg settings sorted,i do think i am having problems with shutter shock and the 45-175 though,still i knew about it and wanted the rest of the camera so it looks like its E shutter for most things with this lens,i have updated the firmware.
Jpeg with adjustments to shadows and highlights and a slight curve adjustment.

P1010825.jpg

P1010865.jpg

Back