"Panasonic G series" Owners Thread

Great shots :D

The shutter shock issue is a crying shame and it makes affected lenses next to unusable on occasions... keeping the mechanical shutter speed above 1/250 isn't always easy and the highest ISO's aren't the best if you're going for quality pictures but the electronic shutter isn't suitable for some artificial lighting. I tried my 14-42 Mega OIS the other evening and shooting indoors at a family event and keeping the shutter speed safe I was at ISO 8 to 10K which was pretty much useless and that's the last time I'll use that lens for anything other than (very) sunny day shooting.

All in all... Dear Panasonic... This is a shambles. Get your finger out and sort it out!

Last edited:
They have in the new shutter mechanism in the GX80 apparently.

Yes, I'm hoping that future models cure this issue.

I'll have to have a long hard think about what to do. I've invested in a GX7 and a G7 and now that I've hit shutter shock issues with my zooms I'm not happy although to be honest I mostly use primes and I haven't hit any problems with them. At the moment I like the small form factor of the GX7 and the tilting EVF but unfortunately the GX80 doesn't have that and of course it has the same (IMO) very poor EVF. I like the mini DSLR G7 too for my zooms but that grip... I find it extremely uncomfortable and I hate it.

So, I'm left with two compromised cameras and hoping that future cameras avoid the SS issue and the (IMO) barmy G7 grip design but I will not be giving Panasonic another penny until the geeky internet crowd have declared the SS problem solved and indeed I'm so p'd off I'm tempted to ditch the lot and buy a Sony A6000, assuming that system isn't affected by SS, but two things are stopping me. The A6000 shutter speed seems to be limited to 1/4000 but I don't know if there's an electronic shutter option enabling higher speeds so I'll need to check, and there's only one 35mm equivalent lens and it's a huge fat expensive lump. Actually if they did a compact 24mm f1.8 I'd probably live with the 1/4000 max shutter speed, assuming the system is SS free.

I've had a love hate relationship with MFT but the issues just seem to be building for me as I've been thinking about rationalising and just going mostly with a kit lens and a fast prime but the zooms bring SS issues and I might just have had enough issues now. It's a system with great potential but IMO just too many issues seem to crop up, poor EVF's, shutter shock, no exposure compensation in manual mode etc... and solving them means buying yet another camera at some point after two bad buys... the GX7 and G7. I wouldn't recommend either of those cameras to anyone now.

I honestly don't know why you don't just give it up as a bad job Alan. Sometimes, a particular camera system just isn't for you - certainly I hated the Sony NEX 7 ergonomics and usability when I had one.

I absolutely love the Panasonic m4/3 system. My 14-42mm has shown zero evidence of shutter shock on my GX8. I do think I've seen it with my 45-150mm, but I seldom use that lens and I use electronic shutter for most of my shooting anyway. For me, the m4/3 system is all about small high quality primes anyway :). I wouldn't swap my GX8 and primes for anything!

Simon.

It's a love hate thing... nothing is perfect and hasn't been since I got my GF1 and then swapped to the G1 and if I moved to A6000 I'd lose the lenses. I would like constant DoF and exposure preview in all modes together with auto ISO and exposure compensation and of course there the new blight, shutter shock. It's the prime lenses that are saving MFT from being drop kicked over a hedge at the moment and the dread of having to start yet again with something else.

If buying today though and having fought the idiosyncrasies and shortcomings and faults with this system since day one I doubt I'd recommend MFT to anyone, not the GX7 or G7 anyway and not at this moment and not unless they go into this with their eyes wide open and very well informed.

Lately I've been doing a lot of indoor shooting with GF and family etc and the shutter shock issue has made my blood boil. With the electronic shutter noise banding there's no way around it other than to simply not use the affected lenses. It's inexcusable IMO.

Last edited:
Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but for the way I shoot (and considering I use electronic shutter a lot), I've never seen any banding issues at all on the GX8. Not saying it's not an issue, but like shutter shock, for how and what I shoot, it's never been an issue. I have to say I found way more shortcomings with the last two DSLRs I owned compared to the Panasonic cameras I've owned, especially the GX8.

Nothing is perfect of course, and there are things I'd be delighted with if they were improved. However, I'd be 100% certain I could say that about absolutely any camera system you put in my hand.

Simon.

It's not that you're doing something wrong, you're either not using an affected camera and lens combination or you're not shooting in a way which would display the problem. I obviously have been since I started using the 14-42mm mega ois.

Banding happens under flickering light and when I shoot at home indoors I see it and it's shot ruining so I wont be using the G7 or GX7 with the electronic shutter or with the 14-42mm mega ois for shooting under artificial light again. There's simply no point as these cameras and that lens are practically unusable for that use in both mechanical and electronic shutter mode. They'll be fine for daylight use though if mechanical shutter speeds below 1/250 are avoided or if the electronic shutter is used. Daylight electronic shutter effects such as rolling shutter aren't an issue for me as I don't tend to shoot subjects that'd show the effect.

I just feel rather miffed to say the least that I've bought two cameras which as so flawed. The G7 + 14-42mm mega ois kit lens package in particular, my God, what were they thinking when they bundled this camera and lens together?

I'll very probably keep the cameras partly as I don't feel that I could in good conscience sell them on and they are decent cameras when used within their limitations (ie avoid the shutter shock range when using affected lenses and be careful under what conditions you use the electronic shutter.) The shutter shock issue should never have been present in products developed and brought to market by a major company.

When I get time I'll go through all my lenses again and get a clear picture of what's going on and I suppose I'll end up buying more cameras if/when they cure this problem but anyone buying into this system now or even an existing user adding to their kit should do appropriate research and make an informed decision. I can't see myself buying any more bodies or lenses until they've been on the market a while and the geeks have posted their verdict.

Last edited:
It's not that you're doing something wrong, you're either not using an affected camera and lens combination or you're not shooting in a way which would display the problem. I obviously have been since I started using the 14-42mm mega ois.

Banding happens under flickering light and when I shoot at home indoors I see it and it's shot ruining so I wont be using the G7 or GX7 with the electronic shutter or with the 14-42mm mega ois for shooting under artificial light again. There's simply no point as these cameras and that lens are practically unusable for that use in both mechanical and electronic shutter mode. They'll be fine for daylight use though if mechanical shutter speeds below 1/250 are avoided or if the electronic shutter is used. Daylight electronic shutter effects such as rolling shutter aren't an issue for me as I don't tend to shoot subjects that'd show the effect.

I just feel rather miffed to say the least that I've bought two cameras which as so flawed. The G7 + 14-42mm mega ois kit lens package in particular, my God, what were they thinking when they bundled this camera and lens together?

I'll very probably keep the cameras partly as I don't feel that I could in good conscience sell them on and they are decent cameras when used within their limitations (ie avoid the shutter shock range when using affected lenses and be careful under what conditions you use the electronic shutter.) The shutter shock issue should never have been present in products developed and brought to market by a major company.

When I get time I'll go through all my lenses again and get a clear picture of what's going on and I suppose I'll end up buying more cameras if/when they cure this problem but anyone buying into this system now or even an existing user adding to their kit should do appropriate research and make an informed decision. I can't see myself buying any more bodies or lenses until they've been on the market a while and the geeks have posted their verdict.

Going on your last couple of posts Alan, would it be worth you dropping the Panasonic bodies and trying Olympus?

I'm probably going to pull the trigger on a GX80 this week as a lightweight option over my D810 and for the wife to use. Looking at the reviews, it seems as if the SS problems are fixed on this model.

Maybe but I think I'll wait before buying anything new.

I'd recommend you try the GX80 before buying if at all possible as the EVF is the same field sequential display as the one on my GX7. Many people are happy with it but I'm in the camp that aren't. The G7's EVF is a lot better and in fact in good light I prefer my G1's EVF to the GX7's.

If my GX8 continues as it is and i stay happy with the E shutter i may be able to pick up a cheap second body.;)

Not the sharpest as the light was flat and i was @ iso 1250

P1020033.jpg

Maybe but I think I'll wait before buying anything new.

I'd recommend you try the GX80 before buying if at all possible as the EVF is the same field sequential display as the one on my GX7. Many people are happy with it but I'm in the camp that aren't. The G7's EVF is a lot better and in fact in good light I prefer my G1's EVF to the GX7's.

We went to Currys yesterday and they had no stock and were still displaying the GX7, we didn't like the G7. No other dealers locally so will have to buy blind if I go this route. Clare liked the Fuji XT10, but with the kit lens it maybe too big to chuck in her handbag. The 12-32mm lens with the GX80 appeals to me for the small size and I think it will be used more due to it's small form factor.

Last edited:
We went to Currys yesterday and they had no stock and were still displaying the GX7, we didn't like the G7. No other dealers locally so will have to buy blind if I go this route. Clare liked the Fuji XT10, but with the kit lens it maybe too big to chuck in her handbag. The 12-32mm lens with the GX80 appeals to me for the small size and I think it will be used more due to it's small form factor.

I think this'll be the same with pretty much all of the mini DSLR designs. In the absence of GX80's in the shops you could have a look through the GX7's EVF. The GX80 is a bit smaller and there'll be differences in the controls and layout but the EVF's will look the same (I assume, as it's the same EVF) For me the EVF and SS are the two big issues with the GX7 so if the GX80 fixes the SS issue all you're left with is a possible question mark over the EVF.

I have loads of photos and video to go through, but this is a quick one from the GX80 I took at Yeovilton Airday.

uploadfromtaptalk1467543408717.jpg

Thinking of moving on my 7dmk2 due to strength issues in my right side,.which doesn't seem to be going away. I have 18-135 50-500 and a 40mm pancake, like wildlife and aviation so wondering if anyone has switched from similar kit or just got opinions on AF speed on fast moving subjects,

There's similar glass available in the m4/3 world, so the transition in that regard is no problem. Your issue will be AF on fast moving subjects, particularly if using the m4/3 equivalent of Canon's AI Servo focus mode. M4/3 has made big gains in this area, but to be absolutely frank, your not going to get performance anywhere near the level of your 7dmk2. For objects moving right to left (or vice versa) through the frame, you'll likely do ok. The problem is with any rapid towards or away from the camera, particularly if it is erratic. My GX8 will C-AF on my 4 year old reasonably well, but struggles with things like Motorsport for cars coming straight down the barrel of the lens.

You might want to look at Sony's A series cameras. They are reputed to be the best at phase detect predictive in the mirror less world.

Cheers,

Simon.

Thinking of moving on my 7dmk2 due to strength issues in my right side,.which doesn't seem to be going away. I have 18-135 50-500 and a 40mm pancake, like wildlife and aviation so wondering if anyone has switched from similar kit or just got opinions on AF speed on fast moving subjects,

Ime in the process of changing from a Nikon D7200 and Sigma 50-500 due to the weight of the gear,its been suggested I use a tripod,if I could carry the extra weight of a tripod I wouldn’t need one,then a monopod but that changes the way I carry the gear so thats out.

I looked at the m4/3 range and decided the GX8 was the most suitable for me,it had the external controls I wanted without going into the menu system (I need reading glasses for that) and a mate that has the Oylmpus om5 mk11 said I would never get BIF with that.

Just at the moment the longest lens I have is 175mm (350mm fov) I still have my Nikon its waiting for my Panasonic 100-400 (200-800 fov) to arrive for a trade.

The GX8 is very fast in normal focus situations ie stationery subjects,cant give a definitive answer for BIF as I only have the shorter lens so the subjects are normally fairly small but its looking good.

As for the viewfinder with moving subjects it very quick for a EVF but not optical speed,it has 3 burst rates but you can only use the lowest two and have real time viewing in the EVF,one is two frames a second and the other is 6 frames a second.

Moving to mirrorless will mean some compromises but I was getting them any way struggling with the heavy gear.

The sony is very good,the main draw back is the long lenses are just as big and heavy most of the time.

I switched from a Canon 40D (not as good for CAF/tracking as your 7D Mk2, I'm sure) and 'L' lenses to a G7. I've had mixed results with motorsports. Using a 35-100mm f/2.8, I'd say I get better results with the G7 than with the 40D, and I'm very happy with that combo. Using the Panasonic 100-300mm, things are not as good - shooting rate drops, the shutter blackout time is an issue, and I get more shots out of focus (maybe because the shutter blackout makes it harder to track the cars properly). It's usable, but a little frustrating. (People have told me the Oly 70-300mm would be no improvement). I'm sure it would be better with the 100-400mm, but that's a rather expensive lens! The GX8 would, I'm sure, be at least as good as the G7.

There's similar glass available in the m4/3 world, so the transition in that regard is no problem. Your issue will be AF on fast moving subjects, particularly if using the m4/3 equivalent of Canon's AI Servo focus mode. M4/3 has made big gains in this area, but to be absolutely frank, your not going to get performance anywhere near the level of your 7dmk2. For objects moving right to left (or vice versa) through the frame, you'll likely do ok. The problem is with any rapid towards or away from the camera, particularly if it is erratic. My GX8 will C-AF on my 4 year old reasonably well, but struggles with things like Motorsport for cars coming straight down the barrel of the lens.

You might want to look at Sony's A series cameras. They are reputed to be the best at phase detect predictive in the mirror less world.

Cheers,

Simon.
Thanks simon, it would be interesting to compare as my 50-500 isn't the fastest of focussing lenses, I do like the a6300 but lack of long focal length lenses is a bit annoying, and I find the 6300 over priced

Ime in the process of changing from a Nikon D7200 and Sigma 50-500 due to the weight of the gear,its been suggested I use a tripod,if I could carry the extra weight of a tripod I wouldn’t need one,then a monopod but that changes the way I carry the gear so thats out.

I looked at the m4/3 range and decided the GX8 was the most suitable for me,it had the external controls I wanted without going into the menu system (I need reading glasses for that) and a mate that has the Oylmpus om5 mk11 said I would never get BIF with that.

Just at the moment the longest lens I have is 175mm (350mm fov) I still have my Nikon its waiting for my Panasonic 100-400 (200-800 fov) to arrive for a trade.

The GX8 is very fast in normal focus situations ie stationery subjects,cant give a definitive answer for BIF as I only have the shorter lens so the subjects are normally fairly small but its looking good.

As for the viewfinder with moving subjects it very quick for a EVF but not optical speed,it has 3 burst rates but you can only use the lowest two and have real time viewing in the EVF,one is two frames a second and the other is 6 frames a second.

Moving to mirrorless will mean some compromises but I was getting them any way struggling with the heavy gear.

The sony is very good,the main draw back is the long lenses are just as big and heavy most of the time.
Thank you, I hadn't thought about the evf in tracking a subject if its smooth and not juddery i should be ok, really looking forward to seeing results off the new 100-400, it looked great at the photography show, any idea when you will yours?

I switched from a Canon 40D (not as good for CAF/tracking as your 7D Mk2, I'm sure) and 'L' lenses to a G7. I've had mixed results with motorsports. Using a 35-100mm f/2.8, I'd say I get better results with the G7 than with the 40D, and I'm very happy with that combo. Using the Panasonic 100-300mm, things are not as good - shooting rate drops, the shutter blackout time is an issue, and I get more shots out of focus (maybe because the shutter blackout makes it harder to track the cars properly). It's usable, but a little frustrating. (People have told me the Oly 70-300mm would be no improvement). I'm sure it would be better with the 100-400mm, but that's a rather expensive lens! The GX8 would, I'm sure, be at least as good as the G7.
Thanks for the info there, esp on the 100-300

You could also look at the Fuji XT1/Xpro2 and there new 100-400mm lens which can also be had with a 1.4TC. @bumper seems to produce some cracking bird images using the Xpro2 IIRC. Not sure what the weight savings would be over your current kit though.

Thank you, I hadn't thought about the evf in tracking a subject if its smooth and not juddery i should be ok, really looking forward to seeing results off the new 100-400, it looked great at the photography show, any idea when you will yours?

No idea at the moment,its just a waiting game,you could look at these two links.

https://www.flickr.com/groups/2932805@N20/pool/page1

This one is useful but he gets a bit confused as to which frame rate he uses,the 6 frames a second is the fastest to keep a continuess view,i will say though its not perfect,but ime enjoying the freedom from weight and the 100-400 is supposed to have a very fast focus motor.

http://naturalexposures.com/birds-in-flight-settings-for-lumix-cameras/

Just to give you an idea,this is with a less than perfect lens for it and i have done no editing,i just got back with them,eight shots of a coot running and flying towards me,i got 6 keepers out of the eight,one i lost because the AF didnt keep up and one because i lost the coot out of the focus frame,when i say keepers i probably will not keep them but you know what i mean;)

Number 1

P1020080.jpg

Number 8

P1020087.jpg

Thanks simon, it would be interesting to compare as my 50-500 isn't the fastest of focussing lenses, I do like the a6300 but lack of long focal length lenses is a bit annoying, and I find the 6300 over priced

Michael,

One thing I would say about my GX8 is that it is the fastest (and most accurate) focusing camera I have ever used in single shot AF. So much so, that I tend to shoot a lot of panning shots (where most of the movement is across the frame) using this rather than any sort of predictive auto focusing. Here's an example: -

British Touring Car Championship - BTCC by Simon Harrison, on Flickr

For anything moving in a predictable way (such as cars on a race track), I tend to pre-focus then switch to manual, and use focus peaking in the viewfinder to let me know when my subject has entered the plane of focus and taking my shot. It's the old school way of shooting with a very modern twist! Again, an example: -

Female Kestral by Simon Harrison, on Flickr

The image is of a captive bird being flown by a handler.

You can use focus peaking with manual focus successfully to continuously track subjects, but it is very hard to do.

Kyla - White Tailed Sea Eagle by Simon Harrison, on Flickr

This was taken using a completely manual Canon nFD 200mm f2.8 lens.

Hope this helps.

Simon.

You could also look at the Fuji XT1/Xpro2 and there new 100-400mm lens which can also be had with a 1.4TC. @bumper seems to produce some cracking bird images using the Xpro2 IIRC. Not sure what the weight savings would be over your current kit though.
Really liked the xpro 2, but the weight of the 100-400 would be too much.

Oh another thought if I upgrade to elements 14 will that open the raw files of the latest g series?

Really liked the xpro 2, but the weight of the 100-400 would be too much.

Oh another thought if I upgrade to elements 14 will that open the raw files of the latest g series?

Have you looked at the size and weight of the 100-400?

It's not that heavy and it's much smaller/lighter than a sigma 500. I carry mine all day, swinging it about by the tripod foot :D

the xp2 is tiny too compared to my old Nikons.

If you get any problems opening raw files you could look into converting them to DNG, it's free and that's what I do with the files from all but one of my cameras.

can they be opened in camera raw?

I use CS5 and the raw processor in that wont open my Sony A7 or Panasonic G7, GX7 or LF1 raws until they're converted to DNG and once they are it opens them with no problems.

You can check easy enough, download a raw from one of the usual review sites, try and open it with your software and if it doesn't work download DNG, convert the file and try again.

Last edited:
Must say i am enjoying my GX8 more as time goes by,its not as easy as a DSLR for BIF but ime sure its only a case of practice,with a bit of luck the 100-400 will be quicker on AF than the 45-175,if it is it will help overcome the short comings of the focus system.

P1020179.jpg
Camera​
DMC-GX8​
Focal Length​
112mm​
Aperture​
f/7.1​
Exposure​
1/1000s​
ISO​
1250​

P1020218.jpg

Although i will be adding a macro lens at some point i tend to only go out with the lens thats on the camera,decided to buy a S/H Nikon close up filter to have in my pocket for the 45-175,first image in less than perfect condition's looks promising.

P1020552.jpg

I'm really enjoying the GX80, fast focus, light weight and compact, and best of all silent.

Some more photos from it with the kit lens.

uploadfromtaptalk1468416657984.jpguploadfromtaptalk1468416676103.jpguploadfromtaptalk1468416690096.jpg

And also some more from Airday with the 14-140 lens

uploadfromtaptalk1468416755417.jpguploadfromtaptalk1468416765496.jpg

Couple more from Airday, still haven't looked through them all.

uploadfromtaptalk1468416816962.jpguploadfromtaptalk1468416827156.jpg

Lovely shots Dave and Michael :D

Must admit the last few time I've been out I've left my cameras at home and have just used my Samsung phone but I've been disappointed with the results so I'll be back to taking a camera.

G7 and 12-35mm f2.8. I like these but especially this first one.

@BigD How does the gx80 feel in the hand is there much of a grip on it?

It feels very much like the GX7 in hand, well balanced and comfortable, not too light or too heavy just need some more lens now, would love the 100-400 but it's a bit out of my price range even with my work discount.

A couple of GX80 questions :D

- Does it have auto ISO in manual mode?
- I think that the max mechanical shutter speed is 1/4000? Does the camera automatically select the electronic shutter to shoot faster than 1/4000?

Also I like how my G7 can be set to switch between mechanical and electronic shutter, can the GX80 do this?

It's interesting that at Wex the GX80 is cheaper than the GX7.

Although I'm very annoyed by the shutter shock issue with my GX7 and G7 I doubt I'll get a GX80 as I'm waiting for exposure compensation to be available with auto ISO in manual mode. It's possible that this feature could be added as a part of a firmware update but I have zero expectation of Panasonic doing one so I'll have to wait for a camera. I also like the GX7's tilting EVF.

All good questions, I will have to get back to you as it's battery is flat, one of the downsides is battery life, so once it's charged I will try them all out.

Back