"Panasonic G series" Owners Thread

Woah, what's this all about? That G1 has been with you forever!

Yes and I will be sad to see it go but I have a couple of problems...

Firstly I have too many cameras and secondly if I'm being honest too little time to use them. As some may know I'm a full time carer these days and it's taking ever more of my time plus I have a love life and we're planning to marry next year (no date set due to health scares) so all in all I get very little free time. I used to be able to get out by myself once a week now it's looking like once a blue moon so I would like to slim everything down to my A7 for the stuff that really matters and holidays and one MFT camera as a carry anywhere with the kit zoom and one prime. So, if there are buyers my G1, GX7 and G7 will be sold and I'll buy a GX80 and that'll be it for the foreseeable. If nothing sells (and apart from Fuji things don't seem to be selling) I'll forego the GX80 and just use the GX7 and the other kit will probably find homes with family as the kids grow into them.

The G1 has great charm and handling and except at the highest ISO's great image quality but it unlike the GXx cameras it isn't coat pocketable.

Last edited:
Had a play with a g80 today, I was very surprised how much better it felt in the hand over the g7 it feels like a camera should , Like the look of the 12-60 that was on it as well.

Is it vastly different to the G7?

Yes and I will be sad to see it go but I have a couple of problems...

Firstly I have too many cameras and secondly if I'm being honest too little time to use them. As some may know I'm a full time carer these days and it's taking ever more of my time plus I have a love life and we're planning to marry next year (no date set due to health scares) so all in all I get very little free time. I used to be able to get out by myself once a week now it's looking like once a blue moon so I would like to slim everything down to my A7 for the stuff that really matters and holidays and one MFT camera as a carry anywhere with the kit zoom and one prime. So, if there are buyers my G1, GX7 and G7 will be sold and I'll buy a GX80 and that'll be it for the foreseeable. If nothing sells (and apart from Fuji things don't seem to be selling) I'll forego the GX80 and just use the GX7 and the other kit will probably find homes with family as the kids grow into them.

The G1 has great charm and handling and except at the highest ISO's great image quality but it unlike the GXx cameras it isn't coat pocketable.

Regardless of all the things you have going on, there's something liberating about a slimmed down set of tools anyway. Bit of a cliché, but a smaller collection has helped me focus on the photography itself, and life in general :)

I should have guessed there'd be a GX80 in there somewhere though :D

My only problem with my G7's handling is the grip which I personally find very uncomfortable but I think I'm in a tiny minority as every review I've ever read says how good the grip is. The G1 is for me far more comfortable. If the G80 is heavier that would put me off, the point of these cameras for me it to reduce bulk and weight, not increase it.

I actually like the G7's shutter noise and to me it doesn't sound as harsh as many but of course there is a well documented issue with the G7's shutter but other than that and the grip it's probably the best all round camera I've ever had. Having said that I'll probably be putting mine up for sale as I already have a SLR style camera and would rather have a RF style camera as my MFT camera.

My only problem with my G7's handling is the grip which I personally find very uncomfortable but I think I'm in a tiny minority as every review I've ever read says how good the grip is. The G1 is for me far more comfortable. If the G80 is heavier that would put me off, the point of these cameras for me it to reduce bulk and weight, not increase it.

I actually like the G7's shutter noise and to me it doesn't sound as harsh as many but of course there is a well documented issue with the G7's shutter but other than that and the grip it's probably the best all round camera I've ever had. Having said that I'll probably be putting mine up for sale as I already have a SLR style camera and would rather have a RF style camera as my MFT camera.

I agree with the grip, it doesn't feel overly comfortable to me, it has a strange feeling. The G80 appears to be around 95g heavier than the g7 for the body. The 12-60 lens is bigger than the tiny 14-42 with the g7, but its smooth and handles really nicely.

I agree with the grip, it doesn't feel overly comfortable to me, it has a strange feeling. The G80 appears to be around 95g heavier than the g7 for the body. The 12-60 lens is bigger than the tiny 14-42 with the g7, but its smooth and handles really nicely.
I agree, th e G80 feels really nice in the hand and doesn't feel at all heavy to me. I'm more than happy with the feel and performance and the extra bit of weight is compensated by the fact it offers weather sealing.
Coming from DSLR it is a great lightweight option and can now compete with the higher end Oly bodies and with the ibis it offers more scope with legacy lenses as well.
I really do think Panasonic have got it right with this model.

I am using a G3 and a G5 at the moment and am thinking of an upgrade shortly if Santa Claus allows, looking at the G7 in John Lewis yesterday and it feels decent in the hands but it's the size of an entry level DSLR(n)(n) why are M4/3 cameras getting bigger when their main selling point was being a lot smaller than DSLR's ?? Anyway I'm not one for wanting or needing the latest model, but sensor wise is the G80 a decent improvement on the G7?

I am using a G3 and a G5 at the moment and am thinking of an upgrade shortly if Santa Claus allows, looking at the G7 in John Lewis yesterday and it feels decent in the hands but it's the size of an entry level DSLR(n)(n) why are M4/3 cameras getting bigger when their main selling point was being a lot smaller than DSLR's ?? Anyway I'm not one for wanting or needing the latest model, but sensor wise is the G80 a decent improvement on the G7?

I suppose it depends what you class as an entry level DSLR.

Here's the G7 next to a Canon 60D which I'd class as entry level. We could argue about the choice of lenses, this is 12-35mm f2.8 v 17-55mm f2.8, but looking at the bodies I'd say that the G7 is significantly smaller...

http://camerasize.com/compact/#621.336,100.303,ha,b

I don't feel my G7 is overly large even with the 14-140 lens attached. Much smaller than the dSLR i had. Shutter noise is nice and quiet too. The grip seems to suit my hand size well. Only had it a few weeks but seem to want to use it more than my dSLR actually started planning to take it out and go places.

Panasonic has released a firmware update for the G80 to resolve the IBIS issue while recording video CLICKY

I'm interested to see the results.

Panasonic has released a firmware update for the G80 to resolve the IBIS issue while recording video CLICKY

I'm interested to see the results.
I'm just downloading the update now.
Previously downloaded the wrong version!!!

Last edited:
Took my G80 to London for a few days and went to a gig - never taken my camera before so I thought I'd try out my super cheap Olympus 40-150 R lens - considering my lack of skills and the light I thought it did quite well - this was at 150mm !

Took my G80 to London for a few days and went to a gig - never taken my camera before so I thought I'd try out my super cheap Olympus 40-150 R lens - considering my lack of skills and the light I thought it did quite well - this was at 150mm !

Looks good to me, handled the light pretty well by the look of this.
I updated the firmware today, video now seems a lot smoother when panning so looks like they've sorted the IS issue.

Nicely done Justin! That looks great!

Simon.

Anyone else watched this ? Very interesting....

Although totally subjective I know

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRQpueEvb-U

Yep, watched it last night, made for interesting watching. The g7 we have is the only camera I shoot in jpeg as the elements editing software I have doesn't open the raws. Always been fairly happy with the jpeg output, though I do sometimes give it a saturation boost depending on the scene.

Anyone else watched this ? Very interesting....

Although totally subjective I know

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRQpueEvb-U
Interesting watching this - I thought the final cumulative scores were encouraging though placing the G80 third overall in the rankings behind Nikon D5 & Canon 80D.
As you said it's subjective and only jpegs but to think it can perform that well at default settings looks good for the future of this camera and m43 in general.

I've got another question !

No idea what setting I had with my Fuji but the aspect on the G80 was set at 4:3. I've noticed on my 27" iMac that I'm wasting some screen - wouldn't it be better to shoot in 3:2 ?

I thinks it's personal preference but I always set my cameras to 3:2. I can't stand the 4:3 aspect ratio.

Right, I'm in the club - just ordered a mint 2nd hand G3 from Ffordes, snapped up what looked to me like a bargain seeing prices elsewhere. No lenses yet but I'm thinking 25mm F1,7, 14-42, 45-100 and 100-300 should cover all the bases. I've been without a proper camera for a while but now I'm back in the game.

I'm the opposite to Sam! I love the 4:3 format, especially for portrait orientated shots where 3:2 always feels too tall and narrow to me :). My monitor is 16:9 in format.

Simon.

Anyone on here use the 35-100 f4 ?

As I now have the 12-35 this would seem to follow on nicely. I love the Oly 40-150 that I've got but it does leave the gap and I've read some good reviews about the 35-100.

thanks

I prefer 3:2 for landscape orientation but to be honest I prefer 4:3 for portrait orientation.

I used to use my MFT cameras set to 3:2 but I think it's actually better to leave them on 4:3 and crop if necessary and that's what I've done for years now.

After all my whining about never buying another camera with a field sequential EVF I've weakened and ordered a GX80. I do wish that the EVF was as good as the one on my G7 but I've been so impressed with the tiny 14-42mm mega OIS that want a camera to mount it on and the GX80 is much more suitable for this lens than my GX7. I also wish that the GX80 had retained the tilting EVF as t's such a nice feature.

A small RF form camera with a really good and tilting EVF would deffo tempt me in the future.

Last edited:
The g7 we have is the only camera I shoot in jpeg as the elements editing software I have doesn't open the raws.

Have you thought about converting the raws to DNG? My CS5 doesn't open the raws from my GX7, G7 or A7 so I convert them all to DNG. It's an extra step but not too much hassle for me.

Have you thought about converting the raws to DNG? My CS5 doesn't open the raws from my GX7, G7 or A7 so I convert them all to DNG. It's an extra step but not too much hassle for me.

I did try it once, but the only problem was windows wasn't showing the picture either, and I always like to go through them before editing taking any unwanted pictures out, having said that windows now displays my 7dmk2 files that it never used to show. Might give the raw a try again to see if windows will preview them.

Here are a few from a recent trip to London with my new G80 - I am really happy with the camera, its a joy to use and the image quality is good. Panasonic seem to be pretty aggressive with what they do to JPEGs at higher ISO compared to my last system (in black and white if you pixel peep it looks like a pencil sketch) but I don't view my pictures like that :) In normal viewing they look decent. I will try shooting in RAW at some point but am just getting used to things at the moment.

Very pleased with the 12-35 which compliments the G80 nicely and the stupidly cheap but sharp Oly 40-150R :)

I've been trying the odd B&W conversion lately with Nik filters but I always shoot raw and DIY rather than let the camera do it and JPEG.

I received my GX80 and have been testing it out with the 14-42mm mega ois and I'm pleased to report that there don't seem to be an shutter shock issues.

Comparing it to the GX7 there are positives and negatives. I really like the GX7's tilting EVF and that's gone and I could really do with an extra function button for the options I like to have available which are focus point (to move it,) focus mode, metering and shutter type. The latter I've had to assign to the touchscreen which I'd normally ignore and turn off. And the little flap covering the plugs is way too difficult to open and in fact I can't open it by hand and have to use something metal like scissors.

On the more positive side I really like the auto shutter feature and will leave it on that and switch to mechanical under artificial lighting to avoid banding. Another nice thing is that when previewing pictures they look more like the final image after processing than when reviewing pictures on the GX7 as that camera tends to display very noisy previews.

The biggest downsides for me are the EVF but the GX7 had the same one... the loss of the tilting EVF and the loss of a function button.

The big positive is the end of SS and it's also nice to gain the auto shutter feature.

Last edited:
Here are a few from a recent trip to London with my new G80 - I am really happy with the camera, its a joy to use and the image quality is good. Panasonic seem to be pretty aggressive with what they do to JPEGs at higher ISO compared to my last system (in black and white if you pixel peep it looks like a pencil sketch) but I don't view my pictures like that :) In normal viewing they look decent. I will try shooting in RAW at some point but am just getting used to things at the moment.

Very pleased with the 12-35 which compliments the G80 nicely and the stupidly cheap but sharp Oly 40-150R :)

Great set of images Justin, all well composed with spot on exposure, and a good mono conversion giving a nice full range of tones in all of them.(y)

George.

Great set of images Justin, all well composed with spot on exposure, and a good mono conversion giving a nice full range of tones in all of them.(y)

George.
I agree, really nice set and shows the camera is very capable as well as the photographer.
I'm still trying hard to get along with m43, shots like this certainly help with that but it's a hard road for me and I'm missing my DSLR for wildlife.
I don't want to quit on it so I'm persevering with the G80 as I think it offers the best chance in my price range.

I agree, really nice set and shows the camera is very capable as well as the photographer.
I'm still trying hard to get along with m43, shots like this certainly help with that but it's a hard road for me and I'm missing my DSLR for wildlife.
I don't want to quit on it so I'm persevering with the G80 as I think it offers the best chance in my price range.

Thanks - Coming from a Fuji Xt-1 I am loving the overall speed of the G80 including the auto-focus but I don't take many photos of wildlife..

What aspects are you missing for your wildlife captures

What aspects are you missing for your wildlife captures
I think my main problem is reach to be honest which could be resolved by buying a 100-400 to go on the G80 when funds allow. I find the 100-300 limiting and erratic, it's not the most reliable lens for IQ in my opinion.
I've tried legacy lenses but I'm not a huge fan of manual focus so they've not really worked out for me.

I also think I need to learn the camera a bit more as I came from Canon DSLR with high end lenses and I knew what the cameras and lenses could do far better than the Panasonic range so my learning curve still has a way to go. Probably expecting too much too soon to be honest.

I'm determined to continue as I really like the smaller set up and I do like the G80 for landscape and general photography.

Last edited:
A quick question about touch screens... Can I fit a screen protector or will it stop the touchscreen working?

I have to say... I love the GX80's shutter :D

Screen protector should be fine, no different to a phone really.

Back