"Panasonic G series" Owners Thread

The G80 was at the Digital Splash 16 Show which I attended today. The camera was fitted with the the new 12-60mm lens and appears to be nicely balanced with that lens, I didn't get the hollow feeling that I get with my G7. It looks substantially similar to the G7, I couldn't detect any change to the grip myself although a very subtle change is possible, the G7 didn't bother me in this respect anyway. The memory card slot is now on the side, contacts for the grip are covered by what will be a very easily lost rubber cover, the battery compartment door has a rubber flap to enable an external power supply to be fitted. I didn't have time to delve into the menus, but it was clearly using the silent electronic shutter on the indoor test shots. The show price was £649 body only and without the grip. I liked the camera but won't pay on release prices or anthing near. In 6 to 9 months it will be nearer £400 and then worth serious consideration.

I use my G7 as a back up to my GH3, mainly for studio and location model shoots, but also general photography. I still have my G5 and my wife has a G3. With regard to the G7 shutter shock issues, I just cannot replicate the problems with my lenses. I've experimented, blown up images, measurabated to the nth degree and can't find an image which has convinced me has been blurred by this effect. Any blurred images have been down to me using too slow a shutter speed for the lens concerned. This camera has been fitted with the Lumix 12-32mm, Lumix 25mm F1.7, Lumix 14-140mm Mk1, Olympus 45mm plus a host of heavy metal in the form of OM or Tamron Adaptall lenses attached to the camera via an OM to EF adapter and a Lens Turbo MkII, such manual lenses won't be an issue obviously. Google doen't really assist as to which lenses produce consistent shutter shock issues when used with the G7 with the exception of the current varient of the Lumix 14-42mm. which I don't own. Other suspects might be the PZ 14-42 and the 14-140mm Mk2, I don't own these either. I'm not saying the problem does not exist, but I do think that the main culprit is the current 14-42mm lens, most M4/3 lenses are probably not a problem with this camera.

You know, for years they told me I'd never find the answer at the bottom of a glass.

100% crop...

They were WRONG!

Just a little joke :D

Last edited:
With regard to the G7 shutter shock issues, I just cannot replicate the problems with my lenses. I've experimented, blown up images, measurabated to the nth degree and can't find an image which has convinced me has been blurred by this effect. Any blurred images have been down to me using too slow a shutter speed for the lens concerned. This camera has been fitted with the Lumix 12-32mm, Lumix 25mm F1.7, Lumix 14-140mm Mk1, Olympus 45mm plus a host of heavy metal in the form of OM or Tamron Adaptall lenses attached to the camera via an OM to EF adapter and a Lens Turbo MkII, such manual lenses won't be an issue obviously. Google doen't really assist as to which lenses produce consistent shutter shock issues when used with the G7 with the exception of the current varient of the Lumix 14-42mm. which I don't own. Other suspects might be the PZ 14-42 and the 14-140mm Mk2, I don't own these either. I'm not saying the problem does not exist, but I do think that the main culprit is the current 14-42mm lens, most M4/3 lenses are probably not a problem with this camera.

AFAIK the 14-140mm is affected but I don't know if it's only one version or what version but the 14-140mm in some guise seems to be one of the main lenses that people are finding the issue with. None of my primes are affected, that's one thing I can say with some degree of confidence :D In years of use I have no issues to report other than the banding issue with the Panny 20mm f1.7 at very high ISO's. And this is another thing that's intermittent and hard to reproduce at will.

Of the lenses I have only the Panny 14-42mm Mega OIS seems to be regularly and certainly affected by SS and indeed it exhibited this problem the first time I used it but it's not absolutely and reliably repeatable upon demand. My own little tests have shown that. I can shoot a series of shots and they'll be fine but not the next series or the next day. I suspect that it may depend upon a series of factors that all have to be present to allow the perfect SS storm. I suspect that even the angle you hold the camera may have an effect but to be honest I've given up looking at this issue as it's just not worth the risk of using this lens with the mechanical shutter in the SS affected shutter speed range... if you want to be able to pixel peep the results but having said that when SS hits it's evident to me in some of my own whole images viewed on screen that something is wrong but it's only upon pixel peeping that the problem becomes clearer and identifiable. At its mildest it appears as a slight softness and at its worst it appears as a slight double image. Normal non camera geek people I've shown this to can't see what I'm talking about... but I care about these things otherwise I'd be taking pictures with my phone.

I don't know how many lenses and versions of lenses there are that are 14-42mm, there seem to be quite a few. I have two and it's the one that came bundled with the G7 that's affected. I'd really like a list of affected lenses but I don't suppose that's practical as Panasonic may quietly implement a fix without telling anyone, if an in lens fix is possible.

I will almost certainly be staying with MFT but the trust has for the moment gone and I won't be buying anything blind again (there are no camera shops here and Currys don't seem to stock cameras and lenses I'd buy and most of my stuff is therefore bought on line just relying on reviews.) I would like a SS free lens like the 14-42mm Mega OIS as it's the size of a prime, sharp wide open and a very nice day out lens if the shutter speed can be kept above the SS range or electronic shutter effects are not an issue.

Another way out of the issue is for me to ditch my G7 and GX7 and buy the new ones but I'll put that off for a couple of years and hope for at least a GX7 type SS free camera with a better and tiltable EVF. I have issues with the field sequential EVF and wont be buying another camera with one of these.

Do any Panasonic users have experience of the Olympus 12-40 pro ?

Just wondering how it pairs with Panasonic bodies ? It looks such a nice lens and slightly sharper than the Panasonic 12-35...

Do any Panasonic users have experience of the Olympus 12-40 pro ?

Just wondering how it pairs with Panasonic bodies ? It looks such a nice lens and slightly sharper than the Panasonic 12-35...

I do, and it is a superb piece of glass :). It works flawlessly with my GX8. Most of my recent stuff on this thread is taken with it.

This album on my Flickr was all taken with my GX8 + Oly 12-40 Pro.

https://m.flickr.com/#/photos/srhmoto/sets/72157673420553256/

Simon.

Last edited:
Thanks Simon - linky no worky?

So you find the image stabilisation OK?

Link works ok on my phone, so not sure what's up.

Yes, so far stabilisation has been fine (although I've never had cause to really push it), and should be much better on your G80.

Simon

Panasonic Kit lenses, 14-45mm and 14-42mm in order of introduction.

1. First Kit Lens was the 14-45mm, seems well regarded and commands more money secondhand, physically bigger. H-FS014045
2. 14-42mm Mk 1, grey and black, filter size 52mm, seems to be a step back compared to the 14-45mm. H-FS014042
3. 14-42mm Mk 2, black or silver, filter size 46mm, plastic mount on a lens that was part of a kit, metal mount on a lens sold separately. Rated better than the Mk1 and physically smaller. The earlier Mk2 lenses had the 'HD' lettering in red, possibly from the G7 onwards the 'HD' is in grey, but seem otherwise identical. H-FS1442A
5. 14-42 PZ Pancake Lens, first appeared on the GM series I think, mixed reviews. H-PS14042

Last edited:
Panasonic Kit lenses, 14-45mm and 14-42mm in order of introduction.

The problem isn't how many the problem is worry and issue free buying and that will only go and the confidence return over time as new models displace the old.

I'm absolutely loving shooting on the G80. Its packs a lot of punch. Here is an image I shot on a PP G80. So this was only from a JPEG. Its fair to say M43 is now making a serious impression. I use them professionally.

Attachments

• P1000543 copy.jpg
    P1000543 copy.jpg
    235.1 KB · Views: 37
I'm absolutely loving shooting on the G80. Its packs a lot of punch. Here is an image I shot on a PP G80. So this was only from a JPEG. Its fair to say M43 is now making a serious impression. I use them professionally.

What lens was that?

Hi looking for some help with Panasonic G80,when camera is switched on there is constant humming noise sounds like the Image stabilisation is permanently on,this happens with and with out lens attached and stabilisation on or of

Thanks Rich

Hi looking for some help with Panasonic G80,when camera is switched on there is constant humming noise sounds like the Image stabilisation is permanently on,this happens with and with out lens attached and stabilisation on or of

Thanks Rich

The humming is from the IS, it will always hum even if you switch IS off. My old E-M5 did the same.

Cheers Simon - thats made me want one even more !

Can I ask why you went for it over the Panasonic 12-35 ?

It's reputation for edge to edge sharpness across all focal lengths, its slightly longer focal range and its closer focusing ability. The Panasonic probably matches the first point, but obviously can't on the other two. I do think it is one of those decisions where it is probably pretty difficult to make a wrong call!

Here's an image taken with my GX8 + Oly 12-40mm f2.8 from a couple of weeks ago that I only got around to processing last night.

Boredale from Hallin Fell by Simon Harrison, on Flickr

The lens hasn't come off my camera since I got it :)

Cheers,

Simon.

It's reputation for edge to edge sharpness across all focal lengths, its slightly longer focal range and its closer focusing ability. The Panasonic probably matches the first point, but obviously can't on the other two. I do think it is one of those decisions where it is probably pretty difficult to make a wrong call!

Here's an image taken with my GX8 + Oly 12-40mm f2.8 from a couple of weeks ago that I only got around to processing last night.

Boredale from Hallin Fell by Simon Harrison, on Flickr

The lens hasn't come off my camera since I got it :)

Cheers,

Simon.

Another lovely image - very sharp

Anyone on here bought a G80?

I took mine out at the weekend for the first time - I have to say I was really pleased with it. Is just as nice to use as the fuji cameras I had before and the auto-focus is much quicker. In general the camera feels much more responsive and awake.

I also found it very intuitive, I have everything set up where I want it so no delving into menus, it's just a very nice camera to use. The handling is also spot on, the grip is fantastic and unlike the fuji's there is room for my thumb! It's also very quiet, really noticed this in Lichfield cathedral compared to a Nikon DSLR that someone was using...

The downside is that with the Olympus 12-40 the overall weight is heavier than my fuji kit! (Although I only had the plastic 16-50 with that)

Battery life is a bit scary though, I haven't set it to economy but I'm sure the battery was nearly full when I started but 160 shots later and I was down to 1 bar! I was using the screen a lot though and trying out HDR and 4k photos etc.

The mono settings are good but I'm not sure the colour jpegs pop like fuji but there are settings to try changing. In low light noise is also more noticeable but I knew that was going to be the case!

I also picked up an Olympus 40-150 R for £70 and it's fantastic! Weighs nothing but it's sharp and fast! The availability of good cheap lenses was part of the reason I bought into micro 4/3 so that's a good start!

I took mine out at the weekend for the first time - I have to say I was really pleased with it. Is just as nice to use as the fuji cameras I had before and the auto-focus is much quicker. In general the camera feels much more responsive and awake.

I also found it very intuitive, I have everything set up where I want it so no delving into menus, it's just a very nice camera to use. The handling is also spot on, the grip is fantastic and unlike the fuji's there is room for my thumb! It's also very quiet, really noticed this in Lichfield cathedral compared to a Nikon DSLR that someone was using...

The downside is that with the Olympus 12-40 the overall weight is heavier than my fuji kit! (Although I only had the plastic 16-50 with that)

Battery life is a bit scary though, I haven't set it to economy but I'm sure the battery was nearly full when I started but 160 shots later and I was down to 1 bar! I was using the screen a lot though and trying out HDR and 4k photos etc.

The mono settings are good but I'm not sure the colour jpegs pop like fuji but there are settings to try changing. In low light noise is also more noticeable but I knew that was going to be the case!

I also picked up an Olympus 40-150 R for £70 and it's fantastic! Weighs nothing but it's sharp and fast! The availability of good cheap lenses was part of the reason I bought into micro 4/3 so that's a good start!

Good report,any chance of you taking the 150 to a local pond and trying some Ducks in flight on AFC;)

Over in the Lakes again this weekend, making the most of the last few weekends that the site our caravan is on is open this season :). I reckon the autumn colours will be at their peak this week and next, and have to say Derwent Water looked stunning on Saturday morning.

Isthmus Bay by Simon Harrison, on Flickr

GX8 + Oly 12-40mm

Cheers,

Simon.

Over in the Lakes again this weekend, making the most of the last few weekends that the site our caravan is on is open this season :). I reckon the autumn colours will be at their peak this week and next, and have to say Derwent Water looked stunning on Saturday morning.

GX8 + Oly 12-40mm

Cheers,

Simon.

That's how you get there so often! You lucky man!

Hey another stunner!

Good report,any chance of you taking the 150 to a local pond and trying some Ducks in flight on AFC;)

Funnily enough I did take a walk towards the lake in Lichfield - people were feeding the ducks/geese/gulls etc. I'm rubbish at taking photos like that and wasn't sure what focus setting to use but did notice it focused quicker.

GX8 + Oly 12-40mm

Cheers,

Simon.
Stunning as always Simon.

Mine is arriving today, decided to bite the bullet and get the free grip offer while it's still active.
I'm really looking forward to this camera, can't wait to get started!

Mine is arriving today, decided to bite the bullet and get the free grip offer while it's still active.
I'm really looking forward to this camera, can't wait to get started!

I'm really impressed so far and that's coming from an X-T1 - not sure I will use the grip though!

Do you know if the grip will come with a battery?

My dad picked one up last week - he's moving from APSC (a Pentax k3 and some nice glass). We had it out alongside my new Fuji XT2 at the weekend. I'm impressed - it's a really nice little camera to use (the "little" being a definite compliment here). Viewfinder is a good size too -a little bit smaller than the fuji, but definitely better than the optical finder on the Pentax. Image stabilisation was great too. He's two lenses so far, the kit 12-60 and the Olympus 75-300. Both seemed to be doing good work for him. The camera feels really nice and solid in the hand and focussing was decisive. It's not for me personally - I like the ergonomics of the Fuji for the way I take photos, but I was definitely impressed by it and would think seriously about one if a move to m43 was on the cards at any point.

As an aside, since we're new to 4/3rds, are there any good resources for things like sample menu setups and so on?

I'm really impressed so far and that's coming from an X-T1 - not sure I will use the grip though!

Do you know if the grip will come with a battery?
There won't be any batteries with it no, just the grip. I like to use grips as they suit me but I know a lot of people don't get along with them.I'm going to be using mine eventually with a 100-400 lens so coming from a DSLR background, I feel it will be better balanced with the grip. I used long lenses for wildlife photography and liked the feel of them when a grip was fitted to the body and also it allows for 2 batteries which helps having to keepb changing them all the time as the life isn't as good with M43 generally.

I'm actually quite excited about this camera, what you've said in your review has made me feel happy with my decision as well.

Last edited:
@wardy07 did you get the body and kit lens? Can't find them in stock anywhere, only body's seem to be available.
I went for the body only from Jessops - I have some Panny lenses already so wasn't too bothered about the kit lens to be honest although I probably would have had it if there was stock for the extra £100.

I went for the body only from Jessops - I have some Panny lenses already so wasn't too bothered about the kit lens to be honest although I probably would have had it if there was stock for the extra £100.

Cheers, I'm the same. Would like the kit lens but I doubt I would use it, worth it for the extra £100. Might go for the body only.

I looked to see what Jessops would give me on trade in for my GX8 as they were offering an £80 trade in bonus. However, it was laughable what they offered - quite a bit less than MPB including the trade in bonus - so needless to say I've passed and will hang on to my GX8 for now.

Simon.

I looked to see what Jessops would give me on trade in for my GX8 as they were offering an £80 trade in bonus. However, it was laughable what they offered - quite a bit less than MPB including the trade in bonus - so needless to say I've passed and will hang on to my GX8 for now.

Simon.
I think MPB generally offer decent prices for cameras and lenses - when I looked at trade in prices with the boost I found the same thing. I think they are a bit of a con to be honest. I'm sure if you were to offer the GX8 for sale you would get good money for it and be a lot better off than a trade in deal.

And so you should, the GX8 is a fantastic camera, there's not much will touch it in the m4/3 world. Well until the E-M1 mkII comes out, even then it will have to be special. Besides, you're producing pretty stunning pics with it!

Well, my G80 arrived yesterday afternoon but I got home too late to do anything with it...grrrr!!!
I've been playing today and have to say it really does feel great in my hand, sausage fingers et al and it's really comfortable.
The build quality is superb and it feels like a quality camera after the G6 I also have which is lighter but feels more plastic (which it is), still a good camera but I'm so looking forward to using the G80 going forward.
I've only taken test shots but the early signs are good. It focuses faster than I expected so now just setting it up for all eventualities so I can take it out to play at the weekend.
Very happy I decided to go for it now!
I'm looking forward to trying it out with wildlife, birds mainly but will be limited to a 100-300 lens until I can afford the 100-400 next year but the early signs are good that it will perform well given the upgrades within.

Well, my G80 arrived yesterday afternoon but I got home too late to do anything with it...grrrr!!!
I've been playing today and have to say it really does feel great in my hand, sausage fingers et al and it's really comfortable.
The build quality is superb and it feels like a quality camera after the G6 I also have which is lighter but feels more plastic (which it is), still a good camera but I'm so looking forward to using the G80 going forward.
I've only taken test shots but the early signs are good. It focuses faster than I expected so now just setting it up for all eventualities so I can take it out to play at the weekend.
Very happy I decided to go for it now!
I'm looking forward to trying it out with wildlife, birds mainly but will be limited to a 100-300 lens until I can afford the 100-400 next year but the early signs are good that it will perform well given the upgrades within.

Your thoughts on AFC when you can would be appreciated ;)

Back