"Panasonic G series" Owners Thread

Is anyone using the Voigtlander 17.5mm and willing to share some images from it wide open?

Perhaps someone can help me out here. A friend has a GX8. If you set the camera up lets say ISO800, burst mode, 13 point AF can you then set all these as C1,C2 or C3 so that the camera reverts to these settings when that custom mode is selected? Thanks in advance.

Should be able to. Easiest way is to just try it.

Hi Simon

Not yet but will be giving it a try at Croft for the BTCC this weekend and then have a trip away planned where I will be putting it through it's paces with some landscape and city shooting.

Cheers
Gary

I shall keep my eyes open for a GH5 then! I'm there Friday, Saturday and Sunday :)

Simon.

Found a downside to the lightweight of the micro 4/3rds equipment last night. Out taking some pictures with camera on my tripod and a gust of wind managed to unsettle it, managed to catch it before it hit the ground. Bag on the centre column hook after that!!

Definitely Saturday for me. Friday I'm going to be doing RAF Leeming but if the weather is poor I might do Croft instead.

Gary

Weather looks alright for tomorrow. Saturday morning looks damp, which I don't mind at all. Race cars always look better in the wet IMHO :)

Simon.

I quite like it wet I'm doing cars. Motorbikes on the other hand....

Just been browsing your website Gary - some really nice work on there. A question on your stuff from Croft - do you go through or over the fence around Hawthorns?

Cheers,

Simon.

Just been browsing your website Gary - some really nice work on there. A question on your stuff from Croft - do you go through or over the fence around Hawthorns?

Cheers,

Simon.

Hi Simon
I have a little step ladder that gets me just high enough to shoot over the top. I've never tried but I'm assuming you can see over the top from the grass bank behind. Have you got any kind of timetable for tomorrow? I'm now thinking of just having a day with the GH5 tomorrow (give it a good work out)and not bother with the Canon stuff.

Cheers
Gary

Hi Simon
I have a little step ladder that gets me just high enough to shoot over the top. I've never tried but I'm assuming you can see over the top from the grass bank behind. Have you got any kind of timetable for tomorrow? I'm now thinking of just having a day with the GH5 tomorrow (give it a good work out)and not bother with the Canon stuff.

Cheers
Gary

You can get through the fence on a dull. I have a small step, but it won't get me over the fence at Hawthorn.

No, unfortunately I don't have a schedule for tomorrow. It's usually a 30 to 45 minute session for each class in the morning, an hour for lunch and then repeat. I presume it'll start at either 0900 or 0930hrs. I'll head up for an 0900hrs start and have a coffee if it's a later start.

Simon.

Need to stop myself keep looking at Nikon DX camera and remind myself the biggest drawback with my G7 is the person behind it!

Well my GX8 bit the dust today. Something broke inside the SD card chamber so that a card won't now go all the way in and lock.

Luckily, I had 12 days left on my 12 months warranty, and Panasonic UK have today confirmed it is still under warranty and have asked me to send it onto their authorised UK repair agent which I have done today.

Let's hope there's no nasty surprises.

Heavy crop, f2.8 ISO 1000.

P1100036-C.jpg

f4 ISO 200 whole image.

P1090944.jpg

100% crop.

P1090944-C.jpg

That impressed me as I couldn't see the bee or the tiny little fly to the left of the bee visible against the window frame.

Modern cameras do amaze me some times :D

Last edited:
Nice bubbles :D

I decided that this crop was my fav from the other day at the park, I think it's good for ISO 2,500.

1000-P1090981-C.jpg

Hi Gary what kit did you use before you went to the gh5? Also have you done any video at high iso's at all?
The 100-300 mk 2, is it living up to expectations?

Hi

Before the GH5 I was using a Panasonic VX870 4K camcorder which is ok but functionally a pain to use. I do take a lot of videos with this bolted on to the top of the normal camera and it is ideal for that. I have also used the Canon 7D and 5DMK4. The 5DMK4 is ok apart from the really high bit rate and the ludicrous price of memory cards to shoot in 4K. The lack of an EVF and flip out screen is also a bit of a problem for the kind of things I like to shoot. I also tried out the Panasonic FZ2000 which was a real disappointment in the image quality and video departments.

The GH5 works a treat apart from the judder you get when panning fast but I think that is due to the image stabiliser and I'm trying to work out the best way to combat that. I haven't really shot any high ISO footage on the GH5 yet but I'm very impressed with what I'm getting out of the camera up to now. I'll hopefully be giving it a good test with photography in mind over the next few weeks.

The 100-300 appears to do a very good job for video and the few pics that I have taken with it look ok. I got a metabones speedbooster XL a couple of weeks ago so will be comparing the 100-300 with the Canon 100-400 Mk2 and Sigma 150-600 sport imminently.

Cheers
Gary

Hi

Before the GH5 I was using a Panasonic VX870 4K camcorder which is ok but functionally a pain to use. I do take a lot of videos with this bolted on to the top of the normal camera and it is ideal for that. I have also used the Canon 7D and 5DMK4. The 5DMK4 is ok apart from the really high bit rate and the ludicrous price of memory cards to shoot in 4K. The lack of an EVF and flip out screen is also a bit of a problem for the kind of things I like to shoot. I also tried out the Panasonic FZ2000 which was a real disappointment in the image quality and video departments.

The GH5 works a treat apart from the judder you get when panning fast but I think that is due to the image stabiliser and I'm trying to work out the best way to combat that. I haven't really shot any high ISO footage on the GH5 yet but I'm very impressed with what I'm getting out of the camera up to now. I'll hopefully be giving it a good test with photography in mind over the next few weeks.

The 100-300 appears to do a very good job for video and the few pics that I have taken with it look ok. I got a metabones speedbooster XL a couple of weeks ago so will be comparing the 100-300 with the Canon 100-400 Mk2 and Sigma 150-600 sport imminently.

Cheers
Gary

Thanks Gary, will be interesting to see how the 150-600 sport works via the metabones, do you know what focal length the 150-600 becomes when using the speed booster?

Just in case anyone here would like to see... I posted a couple of heavy crops of squirrel pictures in the Sony A7 thread, one taken with my FF Sony A7+55mm f1.8 and the other taken with my GX7 and 12-35mm f2.8. They're at different settings and were taken on different days but they were taken at the same location and at settings that I thought would get me the shot and are IMO therefore worth comparing.

https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/t...elcoming-other-sony-users-too.511885/page-417

I don't think MFT does too bad :D

Last edited:
One of the things that I'm loving while shooting video in 4K is the ability to take 8 mp screen grabs from the footage. In certain situations I'm not actually bothering with the camera and just shooting video but taking into account that I want to be able to grab certain shots so shooting video accordingly.
The quality obviously isn't up there with the 5DMK4 and 100-400 Mk2 lens but I'm starting to get the opinion that it is good enough for certain types of shooting.
The below are jpegs grabbed from video and saved as Tiff files from either premiere Pro or DaVinci Resolve. The images were then just given a quick process in Photoshop.

All taken with the Panasonic GH5 and 100-300 Mk2 lens. All shot at 4K 50 fps and 1/320 sec shutter speed.
i-sdXJPRd-XL.jpg

i-mmT3hgK-XL.jpg

i-VCZpSQj-XL.jpg

i-c6SShJf-XL.jpg

Cheers
Gary

videos looking good Gary. What do you use in terms of tripod and head for it?

Hi Michael

I use the Manfrotto MT055CXPRO4 tripod
https://www.manfrotto.co.uk/055-carbon-fibre-4-section-photo-tripod

and XPRO Fluid Video Head
http://www.wexphotographic.com/manf...JaoLoA2R20TdLQYHwDzA8BKsnTeUX-0LaSxoCFqvw_wcB

Both do the job but I do wonder if having a better video head might make it easier for panning more smoothly with fast moving aircraft and cars/bikes.

cheers
Gary

Hi Michael

I use the Manfrotto MT055CXPRO4 tripod
https://www.manfrotto.co.uk/055-carbon-fibre-4-section-photo-tripod

and XPRO Fluid Video Head
http://www.wexphotographic.com/manf...JaoLoA2R20TdLQYHwDzA8BKsnTeUX-0LaSxoCFqvw_wcB

Both do the job but I do wonder if having a better video head might make it easier for panning more smoothly with fast moving aircraft and cars/bikes.

cheers
Gary

Good to know that head does a very reasonable job for it's price. I have a 501 head, never actually used it with a big lens for video yet, I suppose this would be awesome for smoothness

Good to know that head does a very reasonable job for it's price. I have a 501 head, never actually used it with a big lens for video yet, I suppose this would be awesome for smoothness

I so want to give that head a try after watching a video on it last week. Photography is my main thing so not sure I could justify that kind of money.................but you never know!
I have actually started using the xpro head (minus the handle) instead of my gimbal for photography when using the big glass and it works really well.

Cheers
Gary

Back