"Panasonic G series" Owners Thread

Hi guys, first post on these forums! I have just picked up a 2nd hand Panasonic 100-300 MK1 lens. The lens seems to work fine but I feel the zoom control is not as smooth as I am used to. My other pany lenses are Pro models so maybe that's the difference. If there is anyone out there with the 100-300 lens could comment?

Yeah, mine was always a bit "sticky" as well

Right, think I'll answer my own question. Seems the zoom control on this lens is well known to be less than perfect, a bit sticky and force required to turn the zoom seems to vary through the full focal range! Mostly guys using video have problems to achieve smooth zoom. My interest is stills only, at least for this lens, so no biggy! I guess you get what you pay for. Just need so save up for the tasty 100-400mm

Thanks Sootchucker.....that's confirmed!

I've taken the plunge and got myself a Panasonic GX8 (the cashback offer swung it for me). Does anyone have any recommendations as to what is the best software for processing the RAW files?

Do you find that a better option to working on unconverted RAW files?

As far as I know unfortunately Adobe have stopped updating CS5 so converting to DNG is my only option, same for my Sony A7. One advantage of converting to DNG is that just about anything will then open them.

Just wanted to say that yesterday I picked up a wired remote shutter release for my G80. It's a Pixel RC 208 and it cost me well under a tenner!!
Not yet used in anger but initial impressions from having a brief play indoors is that it is a good quality bit of kit that will now stay permanently in my camera bag.
Although it's a bit of a long shot, the cable itself is detachable and I'm going to have a look see if there is any way (via adapter) it can be connected to my Youngnuo RF 603. Thought I'd post just in case this helps anyone. I've been going round in circles trying to decide which remote to buy - daft really, you'd think I'd have more important things to spend my time on!!

A couple of screen grabs taken with the Panasonic GH5 and 4K video.
The Tornado was taken with the Panasonic 100-300 Mk2 lens and the Hercules was taken with the Canon 100-400 Mk2 and Metabones 0.64XL adapter.

P1000001.MOV.12_05_28_16.Still001-Edit-XL.jpg

P1000005.MOV.12_07_48_39.Still016-XL.jpg

The video the above were taken from. Still having a few problems with the GH5 setup for this kind of shooting.

cheers
Gary

A couple of screen grabs taken with the Panasonic GH5 and 4K video.
The Tornado was taken with the Panasonic 100-300 Mk2 lens and the Hercules was taken with the Canon 100-400 Mk2 and Metabones 0.64XL adapter.

P1000001.MOV.12_05_28_16.Still001-Edit-XL.jpg

P1000005.MOV.12_07_48_39.Still016-XL.jpg

The video the above were taken from. Still having a few problems with the GH5 setup for this kind of shooting.

cheers
Gary

Is it the image stabilisation causing the juddering Gary?

Is it the image stabilisation causing the juddering Gary?

Hi Simon

I think it's a combination of the readout from the sensor and the image stabilisation. I will be doing more testing with the IS on and off over the coming week. I've noticed from the manual that when switching into video mode the GH5 goes into full stabilisation mode and switches out of panning mode. I think that might be having an impact with the camera/lens combo trying to stabilise in all directions.

Cheers
Gary

Enjoyed watching that,love aeroplanes.
Im beginning to find videos far more intersting than looking at photos these days,just got an FZ1000 to have some fun with.

Last edited:
As far as I know unfortunately Adobe have stopped updating CS5 so converting to DNG is my only option, same for my Sony A7. One advantage of converting to DNG is that just about anything will then open them.
I agree. DNG best way to go. I absolutely refuse to join Adobe LR money making scheme. I also use LR5 and Adobe DNG. Works across all my cameras.

With the 4k photo mode, are the individual pictures only extractable in camera? When ut on the laptop it comes up as an mp4 file, is there any way of selecting an individual picture once taken off the memory card?[/QUOT

I load mine into Lightroom. It will tell you that the mp4 is not supported in Develop mode, but it is in Library module. Go to the folder which it was imported into (not the last import collection as it wont work there). Double click on the mp4 and it will open up. Scroll along the mp4 filmstrip until you find the frame you like, then click on the little square box at the right and choose capture frame. It will then save frame as a jpg.

Last edited:
I load mine into Lightroom. It will tell you that the mp4 is not supported in Develop mode, but it is in Library module. Go to the folder which it was imported into (not the last import collection as it wont work there). Double click on the mp4 and it will open up. Scroll along the mp4 filmstrip until you find the frame you like, then click on the little square box at the right and choose capture frame. It will then save frame as a jpg.

Thanks Barbara, I have lightroom 4.4 on my system somewhere, will have a look to see if it works in the old version.

With the 4k photo mode, are the individual pictures only extractable in camera? When ut on the laptop it comes up as an mp4 file, is there any way of selecting an individual picture once taken off the memory card?

DaVinci Resolve (free) also lets you extract the individual frames and allows you to save them as a tiff file so you aren't losing anymore information if you edit and resave.

Cheers
Gary

Had a run down to Harewood Speed Hillclimb for the latest rounds of the MSA British Hillclimb Championship. Glorious weather (if a little breezy) and some glorious cars. What's not to like?

MSA British Hillclimb Championship by Simon Harrison, on Flickr

GX8 + Tokina 300mm f2.8 AT-X Pro in Canon FD mount.

Cheers,

Simon.

Hi Simon
Which mount adapter are you using?
I've been using the Metabones Speedbooster XL but started having lots of lens connection errors while on holiday last week. Getting it with all of my Canon lenses so It's going back tomorrow. A bit gutted because it worked quite well when it was working ok. Not sure I have the confidence to drop another £680 on another one, also quite hard to find.

cheers
Gary

Dawn breaking over Ullswater on Wednesday last week.

Dawn over Ullswater by Simon Harrison, on Flickr

GX8 + Oly 12-40mm

Cheers,

Simon.

Hi Simon,

I was just looking through your flickr, you have some great shots! Just wondering if you ever take the gx8 to a high ISO? Your shots are tempting me to get this as it seems to be capable of briliance (in the right hands of course).

Cheers

Hi Simon
Which mount adapter are you using?
I've been using the Metabones Speedbooster XL but started having lots of lens connection errors while on holiday last week. Getting it with all of my Canon lenses so It's going back tomorrow. A bit gutted because it worked quite well when it was working ok. Not sure I have the confidence to drop another £680 on another one, also quite hard to find.

cheers
Gary

I'm just using a dumb Fotodiox adaptor with no optical elements that I picked up several years ago from Amazon Gary. I just then shoot 'old school' with manual exposure and manual focus (don't forget I'm using an old FD mount lens).

Simon.

Hi Simon,

I was just looking through your flickr, you have some great shots! Just wondering if you ever take the gx8 to a high ISO? Your shots are tempting me to get this as it seems to be capable of briliance (in the right hands of course).

Cheers

Thanks Tom, glad you like them. Define high ISO? What you see on my Flickr represents what and how I shoot. I'm very, very rarely up above ISO1000. However, I can't say I've ever had reason to complain, but then again my expectations at ISO1000+ realistic. The sensor in the GX8 is a Sony one, so will perform well (in relative terms) at elevated ISO.

Simon.

Panasonic GH5 + 14-140 Power O.I.S lens at 14mm and ISO200.
3 shots belended together and then processed to taste.

Quite happy with the results and proved to me that I could leave the 5DMK4 at home if I wanted to travel lighter and still get acceptable results with this combo.
i-N8m7qQB-XL.jpg

Cheers
Gary

That's superb Gary. I really do like the look of the GH5, although the EM1 mk II is tempting too!

Thanks Tom, glad you like them. Define high ISO? What you see on my Flickr represents what and how I shoot. I'm very, very rarely up above ISO1000. However, I can't say I've ever had reason to complain, but then again my expectations at ISO1000+ realistic. The sensor in the GX8 is a Sony one, so will perform well (in relative terms) at elevated ISO.

Simon.

Essentially I wouldn't really go above 1600. I noticed the vast majority of your shots seem to be at ISO 200 and keeping the shutter open for longer- guessing most of your shooting is done on a tripod?

Essentially I wouldn't really go above 1600. I noticed the vast majority of your shots seem to be at ISO 200 and keeping the shutter open for longer- guessing most of your shooting is done on a tripod?

For the landscape stuff, yes it is. Family photos (which I don't share online) are handheld, typically ISO200 to 400.

Simon.

Not used the 12mm personally but it does get very good reviews, might be better served by the Oly 7-14mm which is supposed to be a stunner of a wide lens.

@Tom Green I've also not used the Oly 12mm prime, but agree with @Willo with regards to its reputation. I use the Oly 12-40mm f2.8 Pro and it is superb at 12mm from wide open (and every other focal length come to think of it). I had and sold the Oly 7-14mm f2.8. It is a very sharp lens, but I just couldn't get along with the UWA field of view, I found it flared for fun with any point light sources (and particularly anything near the edge of the frame), it had a lot of distortion near the edges of the frames (probably just a fact of it being an UWA) and to mount any sort of filters onto it is expensive.

Personally, I'd go with the Oly 12-40mm f2.8 or the smaller Panny 12-35mm f2.8 to give more flexibility over the prime, accepting your giving up some size and weight advantage.

Simon.

Just a couple of quick snaps taken with my GX7 and 12-35mm.

We've been married 10 days :D

f4.
P1100335.jpg

Excited to be picking brambles. I can't remember ever seeing so many, most are not ready for picking yet.
f5.6.
View attachment 106420

Last edited:
Back