"Panasonic G series" Owners Thread

I think the write speed to the card is less of an issue than the long shutter NR which will take as long as the exposure was. So you may want to switch that off, though in my experience cleaning up the hot pixels is very hard and the LSNR is worth it. Not sure how to manage it in your situation unfortunately. Keen to understand how you get on though!

should be trying it out whilst on holiday, i go on friday

Two and a half hours waiting in a strong, gusty wind for just over 5 minutes of decent light. Must be mad :LOL:

Sutton Bank by Simon Harrison, on Flickr

This was taken on Sunday. The atmosphere was very hazy, which I'm now guessing was a prelude to the weird skies we had yesterday before storm Ophelia moved through.

Taken with my GX8 + Oly 12-40mm f2.8

Cheers,

Simon.

Two and a half hours waiting in a strong, gusty wind for just over 5 minutes of decent light. Must be mad :LOL:

This was taken on Sunday. The atmosphere was very hazy, which I'm now guessing was a prelude to the weird skies we had yesterday before storm Ophelia moved through.

Cheers,

Simon.

Looks like it was well worth it, beautiful light

An absolutely beautiful image Simon! I'm not sure I would have waited nearly as long for the light. Mind you, seeing the result makes me think that I should start being a lot more patient!! Really stunning!!

anyone with experience of the Pana Leica 15mm they would like to share..

Ta

I have previously owned the PL 15mm f1.7 and really wish I still had it now. In my experience it as an absolutely superb lens. I used it mainly for landscape work, and as a wide-ish walk around lens for family days out. Here's an album of images taken with it on a GX8

https://www.flickr.com/photos/srhmoto/albums/72157669375693055

I only sold it to help finance purchase of an Oly 12-40mm f2.8 as I needed the flexibility of a zoom and the weather proofing that that lens brings.

If at all possible, I will get another one at some point.

Cheers,

Simon.

An absolutely beautiful image Simon! I'm not sure I would have waited nearly as long for the light. Mind you, seeing the result makes me think that I should start being a lot more patient!! Really stunning!!

Thanks Marcia :). Patience is one of the things that I am still learning with respect to landscape photography, and it most certainly isn't easy!

Cheers,

Simon.

Lovely shot Simon.

I'm thinking of going for the Olympus EM5 mk2.

Being left eyed my nose was hitting the screen and moving the focus points when I tried the GX8 in Jessops the other day.

Lovely shot Simon.

I'm thinking of going for the Olympus EM5 mk2.

Being left eyed my nose was hitting the screen and moving the focus points when I tried the GX8 in Jessops the other day.

Thanks Terry. I can see that would be a problem with the GX8, although to be honest I usually shoot with the screen folded away when I'm using the camera hand held. There's enough physical controls on the camera + the EVF that I never really find myself having to use the screen itself.

Simon.

Thanks Terry. I can see that would be a problem with the GX8, although to be honest I usually shoot with the screen folded away when I'm using the camera hand held. There's enough physical controls on the camera + the EVF that I never really find myself having to use the screen itself.

Simon.

I didn't think of folding the screen away. Doh!

To be fair,ttf takes a bit of getting used to especially coming from say a DLSR that doesnt have it,a lot to look at in the menus to see exactly what can be done.
To me this is the biggest difference between a trad dlsr and mirrorless especially olympus and panny.all good stuff though

Cheers,

Simon.

Beautiful image Simon... fantastic atmosphere.

Chaps,

So I want to dip my toe into the M43 arena but not spend too much money at the outset.

I already have a Panasonic G3 IR converted camera with the (apparently very good) Panny 14-45mm zoom lens so I only need a 2nd hand body to get going.

Which would you choose and why between:

Panasonic GX7 and Olympus OM1 mk1?

If you have no experience of the Oly then I'll understand you going for the Panny.

I photograph studio stuff (dog and people portraits) and landscape, particularly seascapes and evening stuff. Check out my Flickr site to see what I shoot predominately.

And............................. off you go! (Any help greatly appreciated)

I've put the same post on the Olympus EM owners thread too.

Last edited:
Chaps,

So I want to dip my toe into the M43 arena but not spend too much money at the outset.

I already have a Panasonic G3 IR converted camera with the (apparently very good) Panny 14-45mm zoom lens so I only need a 2nd hand body to get going.

Which would you choose and why between:

Panasonic GX7 and Olympus OM1 mk1?

If you have no experience of the Oly then I'll understand you going for the Panny.

I photograph studio stuff (dog and people portraits) and landscape, particularly seascapes and evening stuff. Check out my Flickr site to see what I shoot predominately.

And............................. off you go! (Any help greatly appreciated)

I've put the same post on the Olympus EM owners thread too.

I was looking at the GX7 but after reading about post focus on 4K models I went for the GX80 (£399 w/ kit lens Panasonic Refurb), very glad I did I am hooked on the post focus mode, and being able to grab an 8mb still from 4K vid is superb.

I have been mostly Olympus(43 and m43) for so many years I shocked myself by switching to Panasonic.

I have the GX7 and GX80.

To be honest I prefer the GX7 body with the tilting EVF and physical AF/MF switch but the GX80 has the new shutter mechanism which is both quiet and eliminates shutter shock which the GX7 can induce in susceptible lenses. Despite my grumbles about the loss of the tilting EVF and AF/MF switch if funds allow I'd recommend the GX80 every time over the GX7 because there's no worry over what lenses and shutter speeds you can use.

I've given up on my G7 found most of my photos were taken in the 'shutter shock' speeds resulting in softness in my images, even with the shutter set to auto select electronic shutter. An annoying thing to have to be constantly aware of then adjust something like ISO to avoid it.

Also found it was very easy to knock the front control dial while carrying it in my hand and adjust the aperture settings without realising till I got home and viewed the photos to find it was a stop or two away from where I wanted it to be.

Relegated myself back to a cheap Nikon DX body till maybe the G80 comes down in price as it seems such a better camera without the G7 shutter shock issues. Also has the bonus of sensor stability and weather proofing.

Shutter shock is a big issue if you're using an affected body and lens combination. I'm still using my GX7, mostly in electronic shutter mode and mostly with the unaffected Panasonic 12-35mm f2.8 or an old film era Sigma 50mm f2.8 macro. The times when shutter shock is a problem for me are mostly when shooting under artificial lights and in that sort of scenario I stick to known unaffected lenses or switch to one of my other cameras. It's a shame as apart from shutter shock and an IMHO poor EVF the GX7 is an absolutely lovely camera body and not equalled by the GX80. I was also impressed with the G7 I owned, it's a fantastic little sports car of a camera with a lovely EVF but IMO spoilt by the shutter shock issue.

Someone at Panasonic should be flogged over this.

I've given up on my G7 found most of my photos were taken in the 'shutter shock' speeds resulting in softness in my images, even with the shutter set to auto select electronic shutter. An annoying thing to have to be constantly aware of then adjust something like ISO to avoid it.

Also found it was very easy to knock the front control dial while carrying it in my hand and adjust the aperture settings without realising till I got home and viewed the photos to find it was a stop or two away from where I wanted it to be.

Relegated myself back to a cheap Nikon DX body till maybe the G80 comes down in price as it seems such a better camera without the G7 shutter shock issues. Also has the bonus of sensor stability and weather proofing.
We had this issue really bad with our G7 and 14-140mm. I ended up trading it for a G80. It's an amazing camera and the issues are almost completely gone. I think I even almost the the G80 more than my EM5ii.

This is one of the main reasons I've just ordered an EM5 mk2 kit. If it wasn't for shutter shock I'd have bought another panny to go with my ir camera

I have previously owned the PL 15mm f1.7 and really wish I still had it now. In my experience it as an absolutely superb lens. I used it mainly for landscape work, and as a wide-ish walk around lens for family days out. Here's an album of images taken with it on a GX8

https://www.flickr.com/photos/srhmoto/albums/72157669375693055

I only sold it to help finance purchase of an Oly 12-40mm f2.8 as I needed the flexibility of a zoom and the weather proofing that that lens brings.

If at all possible, I will get another one at some point.

Cheers,

Simon.

corking images.. I do really want one but have decided to go for the PL 25mm 1.4 first (should be with me tomorrow) and will get the 15mm later.

We had this issue really bad with our G7 and 14-140mm. I ended up trading it for a G80. It's an amazing camera and the issues are almost completely gone. I think I even almost the the G80 more than my EM5ii.

Have you tried using a shutter release cable at all with it? Been looking at the G80 and read a review saying if using one you can't tilt the screen

Have you tried using a shutter release cable at all with it? Been looking at the G80 and read a review saying if using one you can't tilt the screen

Oh i'm not sure. I'll check when I get home (currently in transit from Aus -> UK).

I think its a pretty common problem with tilty-flippy screens. It's a little annoying on my em-5ii. The G80 is my wifes camera, and she never uses a shutter release cable. She tends to prefer using the shutter delay.

Oh i'm not sure. I'll check when I get home (currently in transit from Aus -> UK).

I think its a pretty common problem with tilty-flippy screens. It's a little annoying on my em-5ii. The G80 is my wifes camera, and she never uses a shutter release cable. She tends to prefer using the shutter delay.

That's fine when you get home, had a look at one in my local John Lewis and I don't think it will affect the screen position when I want to use a shutter release cable on a tripod. Had forgotten about using a shutter delay instead.

Well that's enough of a bulky DSLR for me. Have decided to chop it in against a Panasonic G80 and 12-60 lens. Tried one in the shop and all the things about the G7 that put me off appear to have been fixed, namely shutter shock and the control dials seem stiffer to turn which means less accidentally moving them hopefully.

Forgot how big and cumbersome a prosumer DSLR weighs after carrying it about for a few hours and how restrictive a fixed screen and optical viewfinder are.

Sounds interesting, would be great if there was an all new sensor in there which improved on iq and high iso capbility.

We will always want more its our nature, if ime honest though i didn't have much complaint about the GX8

ISO 3200

3200.jpg

ISO 6400, bit too much nr on the water though.

6400.jpg

Sounds interesting, would be great if there was an all new sensor in there which improved on iq and high iso capbility.

I think Panasonic need something innovative apart from yet another video derived feature. With the rumoured specs 'released' so far, this just appears to be adding something that Olympus users already have with some sort of pixel shifting mode to give a higher resolution file. I hope it really does bring something new to the table or a decent improvement in IQ and dynamic range. However, I ain't holding my breath......

Back