"Panasonic G series" Owners Thread

I'm not too concerned about DR or general IQ as I think we're probably at or near as good as it gets for this size of sensor and maybe throwing everything at it will only make relatively minor improvements, maybe improvements that will only be visible when pushing things to the extremes.

To be honest I'd much rather see a GX80 with a really top quality EVF. That's the one thing that could possibly get me interested in a new Panny camera.

Last edited:
Anyone recommend a decent flashgun for a Panasonic G80? smaller the better.

I've got some Yongnuo's that i can use in manual but they're massive and unwieldy on the G80.

To a certain extent, depends upon the available budget and desired features. I use an Olympus FL36R on my smaller bodies, I bought mine secondhand so it was reaonably priced. Compact and balances well on the camera body, the R versions can also be triggered off camera by using the bundled small flashes on such as the EM1 or the inbuilt flash on the EM10. Only two batteries, so recharge times can be rather pedestrian. My wife has a Lumix G3 and I bought her a Nissin i40, again a very small and compact unit that balances nicely on the camera. I think this flash can also be used as a RC slave flash, but not with the G3 body. The Nissin has a truly brilliant user inferface, so easy to use and recharges faster as it uses 4 batteries.

Last edited:

I've got some Yongnuo's that i can use in manual but they're massive and unwieldy on the G80.

I use an old Yongnuo for the Fuji, it's too big and bulky for the X-T1 [similar size to the G80] but I never actually attach it to the camera. Get a set of cheap wireless triggers. Also have a look at Godox, the TT350 is neat and tidy enough to use on cam I'd say. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Godox-Spee...607&sr=1-2-fkmr0&keywords=godox+350+m43+flash

That's fine when you get home, had a look at one in my local John Lewis and I don't think it will affect the screen position when I want to use a shutter release cable on a tripod. Had forgotten about using a shutter delay instead.

Sorry it took me so long - international travel + moving house causes a bit of life chaos.

The remote port is well located and means the cable hardly obstructs the tilty-flippy screen at all!

g80 remote.jpg

You'll not regret the G80/85. Lovely camera!

Arrived about an hour ago :D

22894357_10154730988150633_6754601649471023271_n.jpg

It appears to be as large as a crop DSLR.

I'd be interested in the feature set but not at that size.

It might sit in my bag beside the EM5mk2 happily though

It appears to be as large as a crop DSLR.

I'd be interested in the feature set but not at that size.

It might sit in my bag beside the EM5mk2 happily though

It's the same size as the current G80/85 by the looks of the comparison. And that's smaller than the GH5. Same size in or around as a Fuji X-T1

pretty decent fake in that case. I wouldn't buy it if I had the money either way, if you have that money spare, you get a GH5 right?

pretty decent fake in that case. I wouldn't buy it if I had the money either way, if you have that money spare, you get a GH5 right?

With the things i do and the DFD focusing ime struggling to see a benefit for me over the G80, will have to wait for official news.

Sorry it took me so long - international travel + moving house causes a bit of life chaos.

The remote port is well located and means the cable hardly obstructs the tilty-flippy screen at all!

View attachment 113800

You'll not regret the G80/85. Lovely camera!

Cheers that looks like it won't be a problem at all. Just waiting for WEX to update me with my trade in gear value.

The price I have seen quoted is around €1300/$1400 no UK price though which will probably be higher than the dollar price

Another from last weekend in the Lakes

Ashness Bridge by Simon Harrison, on Flickr

An iconic view, but it's iconic for good reason :)

GX8 + Oly 12-40mm f2.8

Cheers,

Simon.

"Cracking" presentation Sir, well composed, lovely colours & light, and for me just about the right amount of movement in the water.(y)

George.

Cool, I did wonder, would be all the more impressive, but that doesn't matter, it's a lovely image.

I always use a tripod for landscapes. I'm often using shutter speeds longer than 1 second so I need the support, but using a tripod also slows me right down so that I can think about composition and what I'm looking to achieve and convey with the photograph.

Cheers,

Simon.

"Cracking" presentation Sir, well composed, lovely colours & light, and for me just about the right amount of movement in the water.(y)

George.

Thanks George. I did spend sometime looking at the shutter speed to work out what worked best as I wanted to retain some structure and detail in the water rather than it turning completely to 'cotton wool'.

Glad you like it.

Simon.

I always use a tripod for landscapes. I'm often using shutter speeds longer than 1 second so I need the support, but using a tripod also slows me right down so that I can think about composition and what I'm looking to achieve and convey with the photograph.

Cheers,

Simon.

I was just curious as you use the GX8, wondering how the stabilization is on that body? I have heard people claim with some M43 bodies, that they can hand hold up to 2-3 seconds, but I believe this is an exaggeration :D

I was just curious as you use the GX8, wondering how the stabilization is on that body? I have heard people claim with some M43 bodies, that they can hand hold up to 2-3 seconds, but I believe this is an exaggeration :D

With something like an EM1 mk II and the 12-100 f4 Pro lens, 2 to 3 seconds is apparently easy to achieve. Some well known reviewers have managed shutter speeds 2 or 3 times as long as this handheld at the wide end. Obviously the hit rate drops significantly, but it can be done. Olympus definitely seem to have the edge over Panasonic in this area, but the performance gap has narrowed.

Simon.

I picked up a very cheap Olympus FL-LM3 Flash today, in the hope i could use it with my Panasonic camera's but it doesn't work :(

I'm going to have to buy an Olympus body now :)

Thanks for sharing that Simon. As you say the 200mm will likely be pricey, as will the G9. But they could be a spectacular combination!! I wonder if Father Christmas is aware of these!!

Thanks for sharing that Simon. As you say the 200mm will likely be pricey, as will the G9. But they could be a spectacular combination!! I wonder if Father Christmas is aware of these!!

The G9 is rumoured to be less expensive than the GH5, so while it won't be cheap by any means, at least it hopefully will be a reasonably bit less expensive than that. We can but live in hope anyway!!

It looks rather nice doesn't it! 200mm is a great surprise, wonder how long before we see something in the longer telephoto line, really want to see the sensor making a leap in terms of iq and noise performance.

Now that's the one thing I don't expect with the G9 - incremental improvements yes, but not a leap. That won't happen until they move to a new sensor technology eg BSI sensors.

Now that's the one thing I don't expect with the G9 - incremental improvements yes, but not a leap. That won't happen until they move to a new sensor technology eg BSI sensors.
Your most probably right there, we can live in hope [emoji3]
Wonder how the fps and af speed will be with adapted lenses. Really looking forward to reviews and hands on.

I think the G9 is an ugly camera. Nice sharp edges on the pentaprism hump to get rubbed and add de-value to the unit. Good for bringing it down to my price leval I suppose.
On the plus side there seems to be lots of different ways to change the focus method. I must be missing something as that's one of the least altered settings on my G6!
And a seperate white balance button? Really? I set mine ONCE dependant upon location and unless that changes or there's a MAJOR chage of light, that's it for the session.
Now a dedicated shooting speed button or even better a lever for instant show, that would be usefull especialy with the super high 20 and 60 fps modes on this model.
Figures on paper might be better, but the way it interfaces with us hasn't got any better since the old Canon T90 days! (Or even my old SpottyF). Progress eh?

Back