"Panasonic G series" Owners Thread

I agree as a fellow sufferer. I sold my Nikon D7000 for the same reason. I now use a Panasonic GX7, GX80, GM5 (my hiking camera) and an Olympus Em10 Mk 2 (nice big dials when my hands are really bad). M4/3 brings back the enjoyment of photography. Incidentally I don't see why you should have upset anyone - It was a very valid point.
Sorry to hear you suffer too Barbara. At one point I gave up m4/3 because I was struggling with my neck, and went to a Sony bridge. Although I didn’t have to change lenses, it was still heavy on my neck until I discovered a harness that solved those issues.
Earlier this year I saw the G80, and tried it on my harness with a100-300mm, and realised that I could manage both the weight, and with the new camera bag I’d bought could also manage to change lenses, albeit slowly and clumsily, so went for it! I still have the bridge camera for those days when changing lenses would be a disaster, but I am enjoying being back with m4/3.
I thought I may have upset people moaning about my RA, and that perhaps I’d not explained myself properly!

@wellyboot - no upset caused here Marcia :), just glad to hear that m4/3 is a viable solution for those suffering with conditions like RA.

Simon.

Well fully back in the fold, first session with my second 100-400.

P1080298.jpg

So, I have just had a play with the G9 at jess ops meadowhall. I have to say it's a very nice camera indeed, the grip is imo better than the gh5. The camera fits nicely in my hands with 3 fingers fitting under the shutter button. Af joystick is very well placed and easily used. Evf is excellent and I just love the magnified view. Night red mode is a great addition to the vf and lcd. Focus, one shot is rediculiusly fast, mechanical shutter is very quiet and smooth and very fast to take a picture.

Iq looks very good, this was a pre production camera and looking on back of screen. The rep says it's better than the gh5, noise looks very well controlled. A look at a 12800 jpeg in store looked quite acceptable.
Very impressed.

Ok, it’s confirmed...my wife has bought me a Tan and Silver GX80 from John Lewis for my (main) Christmas present :woot:

Thinking about primes and telephoto lenses now....decisions decisions :thinking:

Andy :help:

Last edited:
Since you have 12-32 covered I'd suggest looking at the 42.5 or 45mm primes. They're pretty cheap, the Olympus 45 1.8 is very highly rated too. Then there is the Olympus 75mm, the highest rated M43 lens by DXOmark. That can act as a mid range Tele and portraiture lens. Bit pricier but probably worth it.

Last edited:
Hey Keith,

Yes, you’re not the first person to recommend the Oly 45 1.8 to me...and it’s now on my radar :pompous:

Don’t know anything about the 75mm so I’m off to do some research as it might just fit the bill.

Cheers for the info

Andy (y)

Be aware though that 75mm on a x2 crop body equals a 35mm field of view of 150mm.

That's ok if you realise what it is and like that length but for me that would be way too long for anything other than very occasional use.

theres only 1 42.5 I want the Panasonic Nocto :).

Ok, it’s confirmed...my wife has bought me a Tan and Silver GX80 from John Lewis for my (main) Christmas present :woot:

Thinking about primes and telephoto lenses now....decisions decisions :thinking:

Andy :help:

This one....

View attachment 114489

Although you'll already have the range covered, the Panasonic 25mm F 1.7 would at least give some low light capabaility (if that's important, whilst being a "decent" focal length). The lens is brilliant vfm - I have one & at the moment it's the only AF lens I have for my G80.

@goinggreynow Thanks for that (y)

As it happens, I’ve owned that lens before so do have a little experience with it and yes, i agree, it’s a cracker.

:ty:

Andy

Black Friday is just around the corner so will be keeping an eye on what offers come up.

Just had a in shop demo/play with the G9, lots of things to like but the most interesting two for me where the EVF and the fact you can use manual with auto ISO and exposure compensation.

Just had a in shop demo/play with the G9, lots of things to like but the most interesting two for me where the EVF and the fact you can use manual with auto ISO and exposure compensation.

Well that's the last annoying thing that I want fixed box ticked :D Other than the grip that I didn't like on the A7 that is. I really like this ability with my A7 and I'm glad that Panny have finally allowed it.

I can't see myself buying a G9 anytime soon though. My GX7/GX80 are good enough at the moment but I can see a lot of people going for the G9.

Well that's the last annoying thing that I want fixed box ticked :D Other than the grip that I didn't like on the A7 that is. I really like this ability with my A7 and I'm glad that Panny have finally allowed it.

I can't see myself buying a G9 anytime soon though. My GX7/GX80 are good enough at the moment but I can see a lot of people going for the G9.

I need to see if the AFC is a £1000 better than the G80. ;) the tech guy said the GH5 would do it as well, his explanation was it needed the extra processing power that these two cameras have.

My G7 was the most responsive camera I've ever had and if the quirks of shutter shock and grip hadn't been problems for me I'd still have it as the EVF was much better than that of my RF style cameras. In reality though the cameras I have are useable so I don't need a G9 but if and when they depart to camera heaven I'll be looking at the alternatives and I'm sure that a G9 or RF style camera with similar performance and a good EVF will suit me very well :D

Guys I had a question for you all.. Do you always compensate shutter speed once you've seen what the camera wants to use, and take advantage of 6.5 stops of image stab.. ive never done this LOL but played with the g80 last night and was massively impressed that the camera wanted to shoot 6400 iso I lowered it 5 stops and it dialled in 1250 ISO........its a pity the camera doesn't know about Image stab and compensate.

picture came out perfect

Guys I had a question for you all.. Do you always compensate shutter speed once you've seen what the camera wants to use, and take advantage of 6.5 stops of image stab.. ive never done this LOL but played with the g80 last night and was massively impressed that the camera wanted to shoot 6400 iso I lowered it 5 stops and it dialled in 1250 ISO........its a pity the camera doesn't know about Image stab and compensate.

picture came out perfect

I haven't used the G80 in a little while (it's my wifes), but I thought it did. It definitely considers focal length. You using Auto ISO or Intelligent ISO?

I mostly use lenses in the FF 28-85mm range and mainly photograph things that might move at least slowly in the breeze, I therefore like to keep the shutter speed above 1/100 and therefore don't really need at that IS.

mmm good question I,ll check....

it was just a weird find when I did it and honestly out of all image stabbed bodies ive had I never thought about it.... lower that shutter :)

Well the last of my Fuji gear has now gone (X-T2 and a crap load of lenses) and my bank balance is now much healthier (for a while) :D

Nothing wrong with the X-T2 and truth be told ultimate image quality was a little better than my Micro four thirds kit (which it should be being APS-C), but I just never bonded with it. I tried and I tried to love it (indeed I bought and sold the X-T2 twice !), but I'd nearly always pick up my GX8, OMD EM1 II or Nikon D500 (if I knew I'd need high ISO or fantastic AF tracking), and the Fuji was sat there hardly being used. I had to literally force myself to use it, but once the G9 was announced that to my eyes was the perfect companion to my EM1 II (and seems on paper at least to have overcome some of my peeves about the EM1 II), then I just had to pre-order it and sell all my Fuji gear. Normally (and I know I shouldn't') I get an emotional connection with my camera equipment and when I sell something I nearly always have instant sellers remorse, but in the case of the Fuji I just feel relieved. I dare not post this over on the Fuji X-T2 thread and I think I'll get lynched :p. At least I got a great price for the Fuji kit and actually only lost £235 on my purchase price (over £5k's worth) selling to two local photographer's - result after using most of it for 6 months (the power of buying second hand I guess) !

No idea when it will be arriving (late Jan / early Feb at a guess), but looking forward to it a lot. I think the EM1 II, G9 and my collection of great lenses (Olympus 300mm F4, 12-100 F4, 12-40 F2.8, 40-150 F2.8, 7-14 F2.8, 17mm F1.8, 60mm F2.8 Macro as well as my Panasonic Leica 25mm F1.4, Nocticron 42.5mm F1.2, 8-18mm f2.8-4 and the 100-400 F4-6.3) makes a formidable line up. Think I'm now sorted. Roll on that African safari later next year.

Last edited:
Well the last of my Fuji gear has now gone (X-T2 and a crap load of lenses) and my bank balance is now much healthier (for a while) :D

Nothing wrong with the X-T2 and truth be told ultimate image quality was a little better than my Micro four thirds kit (which it should be being APS-C), but I just never bonded with it. I tried and I tried to love it (indeed I bought and sold the X-T2 twice !), but I'd nearly always pick up my GX8, OMD EM1 II or Nikon D500 (if I knew I'd need high ISO or fantastic AF tracking), and the Fuji was sat there hardly being used. I had to literally force myself to use it, but once the G9 was announced that to my eyes was the perfect companion to my EM1 II (and seems on paper at least to have overcome some of my peeves about the EM1 II), then I just had to pre-order it and sell all my Fuji gear. Normally (and I know I shouldn't') I get an emotional connection with my camera equipment and when I sell something I nearly always have instant sellers remorse, but in the case of the Fuji I just feel relieved. I dare not post this over on the Fuji X-T2 thread and I think I'll get lynched :p. At least I got a great price for the Fuji kit and actually only lost £235 on my purchase price (over £5k's worth) selling to two local photographer's - result after using most of it for 6 months (the power of buying second hand I guess) !

No idea when it will be arriving (late Jan / early Feb at a guess), but looking forward to it a lot. I think the EM1 II, G9 and my collection of great lenses (Olympus 300mm F4, 12-100 F4, 12-40 F2.8, 40-150 F2.8, 7-14 F2.8, 17mm F1.8, 60mm F2.8 Macro as well as my Panasonic Leica 25mm F1.4, Nocticron 42.5mm F1.2, 8-18mm f2.8-4 and the 100-400 F4-6.3) makes a formidable line up. Think I'm now sorted. Roll on that African safari later next year.

:jawdrop: bit of gear envy here. Didn't realise M43 lenses were pokemon ;)

I'd love to get my hands on the 100-400 and maybe the EM1-ii (or G9).

To be fair, I've done plenty of weddings and portraits, christenings etc. over the last 10 years so the gear is pretty much self financing - I'm certainly not rich. In fact my wife is a Bank Manager and has a degree in economics and finance and she (unfortunately) does have a handle on the cost of photographic equipment so keeps me in check financially (plus the mortgage was paid off some years ago),

I don't smoke or drink, have quite a highly paid full time job as an Engineering manager for a Global process Engineering Company which takes it out of me (both mentally and physically)- so my photography is my real passion and allows me to wind down and de-stress and to be fair she does support that.

Last edited:
I've done plenty of weddings and portraits, christenings etc. over the last 10 years so the gear is pretty much self financing - I'm certainly not rich. In fact my wife is a Bank Manager and has a degree in economics and she (unfortunately) does have a handle on the cost of photographic equipment so keeps me in check financially (plus the mortgage was paid off some years ago),

I don't smoke or drink, have quite a highly paid full time job as an Engineering manager for a Global process Engineering Company which takes it out of me (both mentally and physically)- so my photography is my real passion and allows me to wind down and de-stress and to be fair she does support that.

Makes sense - especially if you do a bit of paid work too! Photography is a pure hobby for me and I'm in the midst of building my own company so any new gear requires wife approval and gets additional scrutiny :).

We travel a lot so gear that supports the travel habits is great. Maybe if we go back to Africa I'll be able to justify the 100-400!

Andrew, what you wrote there describes me pretty much exactly, although its a manufacturing site for a global chemical / paint / coatings company that I' Engineering Manager for. I use photography in exactly the same way that you do.

Simon.

Bet your not as ugly as me though Simon :D:D - you seen my Avatar - it's actually a self portrait

Is everyone here an engineering manager? I used to be an engineering manager in the UK for a global IT provider.

I spent about 15 years or so fixing computers, I was a thing called an "account engineer" which meant fixing stuff with one hand, answering three phones with the other and doing the stats and reports and things with my nose. After that I moved into manufacturing for 12 years and did products approval, H&S and stuff and then I'd had enough and retired at 49. I'm 56 now and have never been happier :D Cameras, lenses and photography appeal to the engineer and artist in me :D

I was looking at some old pictures the other day and spotted that these were amongst the last I took with my much loved and often missed G1 :D

All taken from Saltburn pier and I think with the Olympus 9-18mm.

1-_1270946.jpg

1-_1270956.jpg

1-_1270977.jpg

1-_1270978.jpg

1-_1270981.jpg

PS.
I took a lot of flower pictures with that G1, often with an old film era Sigma 50mm f2.8 macro.

_1290501.jpg

_1290610.jpg

Trust me, we have a lot of people where I work that use the title "engineer" in their name and our 2 year old Cocker Spaniel, Charlie would do a better job :p

My title is actually very grand "United Kingdom Components Technical Manager", which is a posh way of saying I sort out everyone else's crap ! Still the pays not bad :)

Sorry off thread........

Chemical Engineer here, or as my job title describes 'Site Responsible Engineer' which basically means the buck stops with me for all engineering standards and activities.......

Back on topic.....

Pensioner here:banana: not much money but time to moan about it.

Back