"Panasonic G series" Owners Thread

Hi guys,

I'm thinking of swapping my EM1.1 for a Panasonic G80 for the much improved video capabilities...I'm wondering if anyone who has used both notices any difference in image quality? I'm assuming it will be basically the same, and @the black fox 's photos suggest image quality is superb on the G80 :)

Thanks!
I also use a om10 Mk.ii and there’s no difference in i.q few more bells and whistles on the olympus models . But as you probably know both need carefull setting up to get the best from them

I'm still mulling about eradicating my M6 and 70D and Canon 100-400 IS for the G80/G85 plus the Leica 100-400....
It will save you a lot in weight ,the first month or so it will leave you wondering if you did the right thing but it falls into place ,the ONE important thing is not to set your burst rate to high keep it set med and this allows for full time tracking of b.i.f

I will be loosing the Canon 200 2.8L, 100-400 IS, Tamron 17-50 2.8

Reckon no regrets Jeff? I am tempted to just buy the G80 Panasonic have for sale on ebay for £600 incl the 12-60.

It will save you a lot in weight ,the first month or so it will leave you wondering if you did the right thing but it falls into place ,the ONE important thing is not to set your burst rate to high keep it set med and this allows for full time tracking of b.i.f

Reckon no regrets Jeff? I am tempted to just buy the G80 Panasonic have for sale on ebay for £600 incl the 12-60.

As noted, I also have been giving a switch to MFT serious thinking in regard to the wildlife and other action shooting situations............but with the OMD E1 MK2 in mind. FWIW I have read various reviews including (more importantly) not just the paid(?) reviews.

And mention is made of how good the raw files are getting the most out the images, so how many of you G80 users shoot raw and pp as appropriate???

I think i said this to Jeff and now he backs me up, for a while after changing you tend to think what the F have i done, how long obviously depends on how often you get out with it, its just a steepish learning curve after DSLRs.

That’s virtually new price ,check brand new cash back deals ,only £50 cheaper than I paid for mine with warranty

As noted, I also have been giving a switch to MFT serious thinking in regard to the wildlife and other action shooting situations............but with the OMD E1 MK2 in mind. FWIW I have read various reviews including (more importantly) not just the paid(?) reviews.

And mention is made of how good the raw files are getting the most out the images, so how many of you G80 users shoot raw and pp as appropriate???
I only shoot raw and p.p in csc . The files are nice to work with the oly ones seem a tad nicer ,just a feeling . The main beauty of the Leica lens is you have a one lens does it all ,you can go from long range to close up in a second .the only thing I regret is I went DSLR style glass first thinking , I should have gone the reverse way better body cheaper lens way but it’s done and no regrets

The Olympus omd 10 mk ii is available from SRS for around £250 brand new after cashback why not buy one and a cheap lens to see how you get on ,then sell your canon gear .

I shoot RAW only with the G80, and PP in Lightroom. Zero issues, unlike I experienced somewhat with Fuji files. The only time I shoot Jpeg is alongside the RAW file, so I can zoom in more to check focus on the LCD [shooting RAW only restricts how far in you can zoom check the previews]

Some images from the G9 / 100-400mm taken in the last day or two...

Panasonic G9 8GB 06 P1011092.JPG

Panasonic G9 8GB 06 P1011111.JPG

Panasonic G9 8GB 06 P1011130.JPG

Panasonic G9 8GB 06 P1011119.JPG

Ref G9, just been reading about that compared to E1 MK2.......close choice(?) depending on prime be secondary usages.......both look like produce superb images for MFT bodies :)

Over at DPR they've added the GX9 to their studio test scene comparison thingy. Here it is...

https://www.dpreview.com/articles/4...tm_medium=marquee&utm_campaign=traffic_source

I've been comparing my GX80 and GX9 and I know people say that the GX9 is better but I'm honestly struggling to see any real differences between these cameras. I suppose that makes the GX9 the better camera as you get a slight increase in resolution with from what I can see no real downside to quality.

One thing I do suspect though is that pictures taken with my film era Sigma 50mm f2.8 macro and GX9 look a little bit softer when viewed at 100% than those taken with my GX80. This may be a result of the higher resolution and nothing more and doesn't really affect the final picture.

I think these latter cameras are very good and the GX80 is IMO a very good buy looking at cost v image quality.

Last edited:
Any opinions on the old G3, I am looking for a camera for bike shows, festivals etc. Had a few Panasonic's and been happy with them but really looking for a fully articulated screen like my old G1, want cheap because when it is not with me it will probably be in a tent or on the bike. Any known issues with them?

It was a nice camera when we had one, very slim grip, I would also suggest a g5, cracking little camera and better grip than the g3. I miss mine.

I wondered why I was getting one in focus and then the next immediate one out of focus.

Cheers, will give it a try (y)

Jeff, also, what do you use for BiF - just the standard single point square? If you are, how big do you have the AF square set to?

Ref G9, just been reading about that compared to E1 MK2.......close choice(?) depending on prime be secondary usages.......both look like produce superb images for MFT bodies :)
I'd be happy with either. I bought the G9 more or less on the spur of the moment when I went out to buy the 100-400 and was offered a very good deal on the pair. I keep meaning to use the G9 with other lenses but it works so well with the 100-400 I just leave them together.

I bought the GX80 to try m/43, if I stay with it my choice would be the Pen F over the G9.
Find the tilting viewfinder very unusual, can't see when I would use it and video is equally unimportant

I find the tilting VF useful, I think it's a great feature for two main reasons, compositional positioning and framing and also when taking people shots as I can look down at the VF or up to the subject and it enables me to take pictures without the camera covering most of my face and so enabling better interaction. It's a great feature.

I’ve just traded in half a dozen of my minor lenses for the Pana Leica 100-400mm, I’ll post some shots. Been a good weekend as just purchased Pana 1.4mm Summilux and Oly 40-150 f2.8 Pro Lens. They will fit nicely with my 12-40 f2.8mm Pro Lens and Oly 75mm f1.8. Just need a wide angle then my bag is complete..

I wondered why I was getting one in focus and then the next immediate one out of focus.

Cheers, will give it a try (y)

Jeff, also, what do you use for BiF - just the standard single point square? If you are, how big do you have the AF square set to?
initially when I found I could alter the size as required I went for as small as possible ,but I found I was actually unable to focus accurately with it ,so have now taken it back to more or less standard size. the next focus block along I have now changed to a pyramid shape reasoning that the birds will either fly up or right to left rarely down .it seems to work .the most important thing though is to keep the shutter speed high ,I think that with a effective 800mm focal length even with i.s that its more amplified than say a canon 400mm .just my gut feelings I may be totally wrong

I find the tilting VF useful, I think it's a great feature for two main reasons, compositional positioning and framing and also when taking people shots as I can look down at the VF or up to the subject and it enables me to take pictures without the camera covering most of my face and so enabling better interaction. It's a great feature.

Not really sure how the first bit matters which way you look through the viewfinder, down or straight on.
Never take people photos so that's irrelevant to me, as I said not of any interest and would just add bulk

Thank you, the disp button bit will come in handy.

Moving the af point seems very long winded, two button presses just to get there before another one to move it.
Wondering if you can assign movement to the four buttons as you can on Fuji, admittedly then have to find a place for the functions those buttons usually serve?

Have a look in the custom menu for direct focus area, turn it on and the 4 way pad directly moves the focus point. It will of course disable the default controls of WB, ISO etc. I have set these to different function buttons on my G80.

I've used the touch screen since I got the camera. You get used to it, and checking to make sure you've not knocked the focus off to the side before shooting [simple press of the 'disp' button re-centers it] - The touch screen is so good it makes switching focus points a cinch. I'm too used to it now to bother changing but I know some find it fiddly, or complain that their nose changes focus point at times - that's never happened to me, I must have a small nose :D

Have a look in the custom menu for direct focus area, turn it on and the 4 way pad directly moves the focus point. It will of course disable the default controls of WB, ISO etc. I have set these to different function buttons on my G80.

Thanks Ian, sounds exactly what I was looking for, will give it a try.

I've used the touch screen since I got the camera. You get used to it, and checking to make sure you've not knocked the focus off to the side before shooting [simple press of the 'disp' button re-centers it] - The touch screen is so good it makes switching focus points a cinch. I'm too used to it now to bother changing but I know some find it fiddly, or complain that their nose changes focus point at times - that's never happened to me, I must have a small nose :D

Sounds good, but my fingers don't work touchscreens at all well, very annoying when it's things like railway station ticket machines.
Have tried the stylus things, but they are just a pain and just disabled it to avoid any confusion

Thanks Ian, sounds exactly what I was looking for, will give it a try.

Sounds good, but my fingers don't work touchscreens at all well, very annoying when it's things like railway station ticket machines.
Have tried the stylus things, but they are just a pain and just disabled it to avoid any confusion

So long as it works better for you. I know some touch screens are a bit iffy, Fuji have yet to really master it, there's a lot of lag on their touch screens, but I find the Panasonic touch LCD as responsive as a smart phone. They nailed it pretty much. It's good to have the options :)

Ive been using direct focus since day one as well

initially when I found I could alter the size as required I went for as small as possible ,but I found I was actually unable to focus accurately with it ,so have now taken it back to more or less standard size. the next focus block along I have now changed to a pyramid shape reasoning that the birds will either fly up or right to left rarely down .it seems to work .the most important thing though is to keep the shutter speed high ,I think that with a effective 800mm focal length even with i.s that its more amplified than say a canon 400mm .just my gut feelings I may be totally wrong

Thanks Jeff, I'll take a look tomorrow.

Not really sure how the first bit matters which way you look through the viewfinder, down or straight on.
Never take people photos so that's irrelevant to me, as I said not of any interest and would just add bulk

Think about it. If you can position the camera differently to directly against your eye that simply has to offer more possibilities. Bulk wise I can't see how it adds any appreciable bulk at all. Look at the comparison sites and compare the GX7/9 to the GX80 an they're within a mm or so of each other in every dimension so the tilting EVF is hardly a factor.

If you don't see the advantage of it then it isn't for you but like everything else once you get to use, like and see the advantages of a feature you miss it when it's not there. I wish all my cameras had this.

Holy Jesus grant me patience, that Nikon mirrorless thread ... I'm not even religious :D

Ok you have my interest so i will take my first look, bet its an RTA thread, "Road Traffic Accident" you know its going to be messy but you still look. :eek:

It was a nice camera when we had one, very slim grip, I would also suggest a g5, cracking little camera and better grip than the g3. I miss mine.
Cheers Robert, I am dithering at the moment between a sony A33 or a panasonic G3/5. Simply because I have lots of Minolta lenses!

I’m not having much look finding a 35-100 F4 ! Got a wanted in the classifieds if anyone has one they don’t use !

Holy Jesus grant me patience, that Nikon mirrorless thread ... I'm not even religious :D

I had a Nikon SLR for a looooong time, decades in fact, so I suppose if I was going to be a fanboy I'd be a Nikon fanboy but actually I just don't care who makes what. If I could buy British I probably would care but as the vast majority of these things are made by Japanese companies in other far eastern countries I just can't get worked up about the badge at all and to be honest it always phases me a bit when grown men (because it is grown men most of the time) get so worked up about marques.

If you think that thread is "interesting" you should see some of the other stuff on line.

Not interesting, just the sheer stupidity of some supposed pros on here, it's like arguing with 5yr olds.

Have any of you owned both the Panasonic 12-35 2.8 V1 and the Oly 12-40 2.8? If so, which did you prefer? was there much of a difference in IQ, AF, colour reproduction? build quality?

Back