"Panasonic G series" Owners Thread

I'm still loving my Gf1 but have still not got the hang of the rear wheel. It doesn't protrude enough above the moulded thumb grip to be able to turn it easily with the pad of my thumb flat on it like my canon 40d.
I therefore have to bend my thumb and use the tip to turn the wheel which inevitably leads me to pressing it as well which changes the mode from changing of aperture to changing of shutter speed.
I seem to spend a lot of time whizzing the wheel back and forth and pressing to get the right settings.
I often resort to using Quick Menu ro change the ap and shutter with the up and down arrows.

Anyone else have any probs with the rear wheel?

First outings with the G2 and 14-42 this weekend while out with the family, which was one of the reasons I bought it as the other half complains when I bring a big camera bag with my 5D and an assortment of lenses on family trips.

Despite my experience with film rangefinders, I've been surprised how low I can go with the shutter speed without a mirror to worry about and an IS lens on top. 1/5 sec and it's acceptably sharp even at 100%, which will make up in part for the noise that creeps in above ISO 400.

Rochester Cathedral

20110429_0015.jpg

River Medway Conservancy Board Offices

20110429_0045.jpg

I see you took the photos in the Cathedral at ISO 800. Was this how they came out of camera or did you run it through noise reduction software? Nice set of photos. I bet you're pleased with it, and not so shattered as carrying your DSLR.
[perspective correction in Lightroom for both of the above]

Then up at the South Bank yesterday for Billy Bragg's Big Busk. The 14-42 didn't provide enough reach for any decent pics of the man himself.

20110430_0015.jpg

20110430_0029.jpg

20110430_0052.jpg

20110430_0057.jpg

I'm still feeling my way round the camera. The EVF leaves me feeling a little less engaged with the scene than an optical viewfinder and it'll take me a while to figure my way round the controls.

Now I'm waiting for my FD adapter to arrive to see how I can get on with my arsenal of FD glass on the G2...

I'm still loving my Gf1 but have still not got the hang of the rear wheel. It doesn't protrude enough above the moulded thumb grip to be able to turn it easily with the pad of my thumb flat on it like my canon 40d.
I therefore have to bend my thumb and use the tip to turn the wheel which inevitably leads me to pressing it as well which changes the mode from changing of aperture to changing of shutter speed.
I seem to spend a lot of time whizzing the wheel back and forth and pressing to get the right settings.
I often resort to using Quick Menu ro change the ap and shutter with the up and down arrows.

Anyone else have any probs with the rear wheel?

Yes Janice I do. I much prefer my G1 even though it's a little bit heavier. The wheel is on the front and much more user friendly. Also I love the rotatable screen which really saves my poor old knees when shooting low. Another thing which I prefer is the fact that the LCD completely reverses so that there is no chance of scratching it when carrying it without the case.

I see you took the photos in the Cathedral at ISO 800. Was this how they came out of camera or did you run it through noise reduction software? Nice set of photos. I bet you're pleased with it, and not so shattered as carrying your DSLR.

It was pretty dark in there. I used a touch of Lightroom's NR (about 20%) to bring the noise under control, though it was not much more than I'd expect from film grain, so perhaps it wasn't really that necessary. LR3 does a pretty good job with noise without turning the detail to mush.

i can't seem to get hold of a GH2 anywhere.....what's going on?

The only retailer that has one in stock near me is john lewis in leicester....i went in there yesterday & they had a GH2 marked up at £899 with the 14-42 lens, i pointed this out to one of the sales oiks & he said they hadn't had a chance to mark it down to £799 yet!!!!

Anyhoo i tried to get them to price match with jacobs & jessops in leicester down to £699.99 but they wouldn't budge at all cause the latter retailers didnt have any GH2s in stock...this to me is unbelievable cause i wouldn't be in john lewis bartering if anyone else had one £100 lower priced so i had to walk away with my £700 cash still in my pocket...needless to say very disappointed

Last edited:
i can't seem to get hold of a GH2 anywhere.....what's going on?

The only retailer that has one in stock near me is john lewis in leicester....i went in there yesterday & they had a GH2 marked up at £899 with the 14-42 lens, i pointed this out to one of the sales oiks & he said they hadn't had a chance to mark it down to £799 yet!!!!

Anyhoo i tried to get them to price match with jacobs & jessops in leicester down to £699.99 but they wouldn't budge at all cause the latter retailers didnt have any GH2s in stock...this to me is unbelievable cause i wouldn't be in john lewis bartering if anyone else had one £100 lower priced so i had to walk away with my £700 cash still in my pocket...needless to say very disappointed

Most shops will only price match if goods are actually in stock cheaper locally. This seems silly to me too. Why would I go to one shop and ask to pricematch if I can go to the other store and get it for the same price without the hassle?
Anyway, if you want to buy online, Simplyelectronics ( here) have 4 in stock for £699.99.

Allan

Been trying to get a gh2 for a couple of weeks but not a single place has had the kit I wanted (with 14-140 lens) in. Mathers of Lancashire have body only last time I asked if anyone is interested. Good price too. Jacobs and Jessops both told me they don't have any, anywhere in the country. Shame really.

In respect to what Allan said above, wherever you find online, make sure you ring first. I've tried three where they said they had them online but when I rang to check they confirmed they didn't.

I asked about the GH2 in Jacobs and Jessops in Nottingham about a month ago and both said they don't expect to have any in the near future.
I had the same experience at John Lewis as Trevor.

My local LCE said they don't expect a restock of GH2s at all "due to Panasonic brining out a new model before the summer" How true that is I have no idea.

Anyway, if you want to buy online, Simplyelectronics ( here) have 4 in stock for £699.99.

Allan

If you don't want UK warranty then buy from simply electronics. Theirs will be a grey import which Panasonic UK wouldn't look at if you had a problem. As a company they don't have glowing service ratings and I certainly wouldn't want them handling warranty issues.

Hi folks new to this forum so don't be too harsh.

It looks like I've missed out on the GF1 as I can't seem to find a reasonably priced one anywhere!!!

For the last few years I've always gone for a water resistant compact and my last one was a Pentax Optio W20 which has done me proud, but I now need to take some product images for a few websites I run and I thought I'd get a new camera that allows a bit more of an artistic picture as well as "RAW" so I can manipulate the image.

I don't want a DSLR as I would still like to take the camera on family days out and holidays. After reading lots of reviews about the GF2 and how it was no match for the GF1 I have tried to track one down with a 20mm pancake, but it is hard to find one at the right price.

I sussed out the "Yorkshire Cameras" scam! (Pretty piddled off with that as I am a Yorkshireman!!!)

Anyway should I continue my Quest for a GF1 + 20mm?

Your thoughts are appreciated.

Right now I think the best combo to buy new would be an Olympus E-PL2 and combine it with the panny 20mm F1.7

I'd say stick with it, it'll be worth it. I'd just about given up getting another GF1 + 20mm a month ago when one came up. Somebody, somewhere must have some stock kicking about. Don't be tempted going for GF2, it's pants after using a GF1.

Whereabouts in Yorkshire are you?

Hi folks new to this forum so don't be too harsh.

It looks like I've missed out on the GF1 as I can't seem to find a reasonably priced one anywhere!!!

For the last few years I've always gone for a water resistant compact and my last one was a Pentax Optio W20 which has done me proud, but I now need to take some product images for a few websites I run and I thought I'd get a new camera that allows a bit more of an artistic picture as well as "RAW" so I can manipulate the image.

I don't want a DSLR as I would still like to take the camera on family days out and holidays. After reading lots of reviews about the GF2 and how it was no match for the GF1 I have tried to track one down with a 20mm pancake, but it is hard to find one at the right price.

I sussed out the "Yorkshire Cameras" scam! (Pretty piddled off with that as I am a Yorkshireman!!!)

Keep an eye on ebay they prop up from time to time.

Keep an eye on ebay they prop up from time to time.

Aren't they usually at inflated prices now?

I'm wondering if Panasonic will realise they dropped the ball a bit with the GF2 and the GF3 will be awesome? Kind of sad if the GF1 was the best in the line.

Joe, why do you say the GF2 is no good? I'm not saying you are wrong, but I have a GF2 and love it. It's my first M4/3 though so nothing to compare it too.

RichardTheSane
I'll have a look at the Olympus. Hadn't thought of a mix n match with the pancake!

Steelfish
This'll test if you know about Yorkshire? I live in the hometown of Sooty & Sweep!!!

I've seen a few GF1's on fleabay, but I get a bit jittery when things are out of warranty and being a Yorkshireman I have an issue about paying over the odds!!!!!

Joe, why do you say the GF2 is no good? I'm not saying you are wrong, but I have a GF2 and love it. It's my first M4/3 though so nothing to compare it too.

Apologies I shouldn't have said it exactly like that - that was a horrible generalisation from me.

IQ was the same as the GF1, and it was lovely to have the body slightly smaller, but I really missed the dedicated drive mode switch and the mode dial.

I'd actually sold my old GF1 for the GF2, and the demo GF2 model in the shop had a really laggy interface, so going straight from the GF1 that I was so familiar with (and can access every function I needed pretty much instantaneously) to the GF2 was a big disappointment (for me anyway).

Also, the 14mm pancake lens bundled in the GF2 wasn't as useful to me as the 20mm pancake lens you got in the GF1 kit.

But I can see if you really stick to one particular set of settings, the even more compact body of the GF2 would be fine. EDIT: And I must admit I'm growing to really like the 14mm pancake now - probably use it a bit more than the 20mm at the moment (I have both the 20 and 14 mm pancakes along with the kit lens).

Last edited:
RichardTheSane
Steelfish
This'll test if you know about Yorkshire? I live in the hometown of Sooty & Sweep!!!

Had to wiki that one! I asked as when I was hunting, although they were out of stock at the time, Jessops in Wakefield said he would probably be able to get one in about a fortnight. Obviously things might be different this time, but might be worth a shot.

Steelfish

I should have given you the Harry Ramsden clue as many people will think I live in Blackpool now!!!

I have a few shops to chase on the GF1 front. I could do with touching one before ordering.
I've laid hands on the LX5 and the G1 so I am hoping it is somewhere in between.

Steelfish

I should have given you the Harry Ramsden clue as many people will think I live in Blackpool now!!!

I have a few shops to chase on the GF1 front. I could do with touching one before ordering.
I've laid hands on the LX5 and the G1 so I am hoping it is somewhere in between.

Yep, pretty much. More LX5 than G1 though. Good luck in your hunt!

Edit: I forgot to say if you're ever in south Leeds or Wakey you could have a quick play with my GF1. Be a shame to persue one for weeks if it doesn't really float your boat!

Last edited:
just bought a brand new unopened GH2 off Ebay
a last resort but the seller has great feedback & seems ok....here's hoping

Apologies I shouldn't have said it exactly like that - that was a horrible generalisation from me.

IQ was the same as the GF1, and it was lovely to have the body slightly smaller, but I really missed the dedicated drive mode switch and the mode dial.

I'd actually sold my old GF1 for the GF2, and the demo GF2 model in the shop had a really laggy interface, so going straight from the GF1 that I was so familiar with (and can access every function I needed pretty much instantaneously) to the GF2 was a big disappointment (for me anyway).

Also, the 14mm pancake lens bundled in the GF2 wasn't as useful to me as the 20mm pancake lens you got in the GF1 kit.

But I can see if you really stick to one particular set of settings, the even more compact body of the GF2 would be fine. EDIT: And I must admit I'm growing to really like the 14mm pancake now - probably use it a bit more than the 20mm at the moment (I have both the 20 and 14 mm pancakes along with the kit lens).
That makes total sense. I think how much people like the GF2 depends on what they have used before. I have to admit when I got the GF2 I was in a bit of a rush to get it in the few days before my trip to Mallorca and I qas really after a GH2 and would have got one had John Lewis done a price match. I decided the GF2 would be better than no camera so got that. I have to say the compact size when it has the pancake on is a real plus sometimes. When I was away I just popped it into my jacket pocket and was able to whip it out so easily. I imagine I could end up getting a GH2 as well as it seems more suited to aviation photography (better AF). I will see what the rumoured new GH3 is like and decided then.

Well I've done it I've gone and bought a new GF1 with a 20mm pancake :banana:

There were a few on fleabay and I could have saved some money, but I couldn't do with the stress of the last second bids.

Wife not happy :annoyed:

Now comes the buying of the expensive extras and I suppose I'd better learn how to compose a decent picture. I don't think the wife liked the close ups I took of some slugs when I got my first camera when I was a kid.

Oh and by the way can anyone tell me where I put the roll of film in??? ;)

I've ordered a 14mm pancake lens for my G1, GF1 and waiting anxiously for it to arrive tomorrow from Mathersoflancashire. Now I just need some good weather as not too good here in Pembrokeshire today.
You will love the lens I am sure. It's so tiny and you can carry it with you even if you don't really intend to use it. :D

The lack of flash exposure compensation is a real killer for me otherwise I'd have preordered a GF2, I mostly use the GF1 as a pocket camera these days so the size/weight saving would have been good. However I find the Panasonic m4/3 cameras too harsh on their default flash setting so not being able to tone it down a bit on the GF2 is a real annoyance.

I'm very pleased with the new 14mm lens though which pairs up with the GF1 and 20mm perfectly giving me the choice of wide angle or a normal focal length with a wider aperture.

John

Last edited:
GF1 has flash adjust, don't the others?

Yes, they all do apart from the GF2 which is why it's a deal breaker for me on that camera. On the GH1/GH2/GF1/LX3 I can dial the flash power down as needed which is quick and simple but this feature is missing on the GF2 and I can't really see why. Losing the mode dial is understandable as that saves space but given they've taken the time to put a flash it seems daft to omit exposure control for it.

John

Any real details on the G3 yet? Wanting to upgrade my G1, want better high ISO performance, so at the moment it's the X100 or G3....but want to see some more details on the G3!

You will love the lens I am sure. It's so tiny and you can carry it with you even if you don't really intend to use it. :D

Not a good day here weatherwise, but my new lens arrived this morning as promised. So far just taken a picture of the street where I live, to test out the sharpness of the lens and so far looking good.

Any real details on the G3 yet? Wanting to upgrade my G1, want better high ISO performance, so at the moment it's the X100 or G3....but want to see some more details on the G3!

Nothing apart from the usual wild rumours at the moment.

John

(y) New G2 kit arrived today. Just waiting for my 45-200 to come later this week. Didn't realise how much I missed my old one. I just need to find another GF1 body now and I'm all set for the summer. :cool:
Allan

If the rumours are to be believed, I'm a bit puzzled as to why they are bringing out a 25mm 1.4, seems too similar to the 20mm 1.7. The Oly 12mm f2 could be interesting though.

Back