"Panasonic G series" Owners Thread

A few from Crummock.Once again,handheld 7 shot AEBsequence.14-42 power zoom.

Cheers
Gary

Great shots there Gary and a perfect example of what can be achieved in the right hands.

ronnus said:
Anyone using the oly 45mm with a panny, and if so how'd you find it with the lack of stabilization?

I'm tempted to get one as the panny 45mm is pricey at present... I'm a bit of a VR/OIS obsessive and wonder if 45mm would just be a bit too long for handheld shots :)

I've the 45mm on a G1 and G3, I've not found any issues of lack of IS.

I have seen the comments about mushy and noisy - I guess that the majority of you are professional photographers and so that quality makes the difference. I am still trying to learn my new GX1 with kit and 45-200 lens, but so far I am very impressed.

Ducks_021.jpg

Hartford_020.jpg

Last edited:
ShrubMonkey said:
I've the 45mm on a G1 and G3, I've not found any issues of lack of IS.
Ta for that :) Do you find it okay for indoor shots in natural light?

@ Gary - Wow those shots are amazing. You said you were using the GX1 alongside your 5D2, what did you notice as being the main differences? I mean I never used mine actually alongside my DSLR so don't really know what differences there are in the field.

Lovely shots :)

MFT taking a bashing in other threads with people getting noisy and mushy shots :(
p=4391938#post4391938[/url]
It's a shame more people are not seeing the true benefit of M43. :( Maybe Panasonic and others need to get some pro togs to endorse their products then people might accept them more. :shrug: I really believed that in quite a few situations, especially travel photography, then the gap between DSLRs and M43 are really starting to close in terms of overall IQ.
For example if you were going to do a photographic study of rural China or somewhere similar then M43 has loads of advantages being lighter and much more discreet. Will some pro togs start seeing it this way as well?

Always been very happy with my M43 kit albeit in the Olympus (EP2) form rather than Panasonic, I can see why professionals could be upset about noise but for me its been great.

I am very interested in the GX1 though, always fancied the GF1 and it looks like this might be its true replacement!

I've done nothing on the photography front for months! Life is a bit down for me? afraid the demons have been getting the better of me:( . . . So I have not kept up with things 4/3. Looking through, I see the GX1, picture sample are great . . . but why still no animated screen or proper EVF . . .?

I have an old G1 with 14/45mm lens. OK, the picture quality on the GX1 seems to have improved, but, if you cant see the screen to frame properly, depending on angle etc, whats the effing point. Half the time, its guess work, or you have to be a contortionist . . . No matter how much one pays for the camera, its not a good'un in my humble opinion, if half its functionality is compromised?

CJS

CJS said:
I've done nothing on the photography front for months! Life is a bit down for me? afraid the demons have been getting the better of me:( . . . So I have not kept up with things 4/3. Looking through, I see the GX1, picture sample are great . . . but why still no animated screen or proper EVF . . .?

I have an old G1 with 14/45mm lens. OK, the picture quality on the GX1 seems to have improved, but, if you cant see the screen to frame properly, depending on angle etc, whats the effing point. Half the time, its guess work, or you have to be a contortionist . . . No matter how much one pays for the camera, its not a good'un in my humble opinion, if half its functionality is compromised?

CJS

Well you could get the G3 same sensor and it's got the flippy screen. I agree with you on this front, for me the whole point of m43 is the flexibility, I find the flippy screen on my G1 & G3 a must, and for that reason wouldn't get a GX1.

I've been thinking about getting a G3.

I have a GF1 and a G1 at the mo. I use the G1 most but the GF1 is just that shade smaller and will fit in a jacket pocket, I've taken it abroad three times since I got it. Without the G1's grip the G3 could possibly replace both for me.

The only negative thing I can find to say about the G3 is how it feels in the hand. Panasonic by making it smaller have made it seem awkward to hold. I prefer the physical body of the G1. But that's about it

how is the Voigty 25mm Alan ?
I've been drooling about it since I first laid my eyes on it, but don't know if it would be of any real use if I wanted to use it in weddings etc ?

Well you could get the G3 same sensor and it's got the flippy screen. I agree with you on this front, for me the whole point of m43 is the flexibility, I find the flippy screen on my G1 & G3 a must, and for that reason wouldn't get a GX1.

Mmm . . . I think the G3 is very 'touch screen'? . . . at my age, touch screens on any product is a no, no? . . . grey hair and a pension in June!

Panasonic are pandering along with phone manufacturers and . . . ??? etc., to youngsters, sorry, but thats how I see it, I'm having a really bad day!!!!

CJS

"how is the Voigty25mm Alan ?"

I'm very happy with it and it stays on my G1.

It's very useable, sharp even @f0.95 although you do get a little blooming on bright or reflective things and there's some CA but nothing that'll stop you using it IMVHO. It's difficult to equate things to full frame easily but I'd say that FoV wise it's spot on the equivalent of 50mm and the DoF looks maybe like FF @f1.8, something like that, but of course as it's 25mm you don't get exactly the same look as you would with a 50mm @f1.8. The f0.95 makes low light shooting easy and when coupled with auto ISO things are possible that wouldn't be with my 5D+50mm f1.4.

If you don't mind focusing manually it's a joy to use and TBH if I didn't have this lens I may have given up on MFT. With it it'll be hard to give up on MFT.

I like this shot, whole image and then 100% crop...

_1010858c1-1.jpg

_1010858c2.jpg

Last edited:
Mmm . . . I think the G3 is very 'touch screen'? . . . at my age, touch screens on any product is a no, no? . . . grey hair and a pension in June!

Panasonic are pandering along with phone manufacturers and . . . ??? etc., to youngsters, sorry, but thats how I see it, I'm having a really bad day!!!!

CJS

Hmm sounds it...

You don't have to use the touch screen, you can use the buttons too, hardly pandering to youngsters, they give you multiple options, good in my book ;)

Anyway, best thing to do would go into a camera shop and give it a try (y)

"how is the Voigty25mm Alan ?"

I'm very happy with it and it stays on my G1.

It's very useable, sharp even @f0.95 although you do get a little blooming on bright or reflective things and there's some CA but nothing that'll stop you using it IMVHO. It's difficult to equate things to full frame easily but I'd say that FoV wise it's spot on the equivalent of 50mm and the DoF looks maybe like FF @f1.8, something like that, but of course as it's 25mm you don't get exactly the same look as you would with a 50mm @f1.8. The f0.95 makes low light shooting easy and when coupled with auto ISO things are possible that wouldn't be with my 5D+50mm f1.4.

If you don't mind focusing manually it's a joy to use and TBH if I didn't have this lens I may have given up on MFT. With it it'll be hard to give up on MFT.

thanks for the info ! :)
will need a serious think when I save up that kind of money after all - I can get 5d MKi + 50mm f1.8 for that .

Yes, but you can't shoot at f0.95 with that :D It is quite a shock to see the shutter speed and/or ISO change for the better plus you can use it as a sort of psudo macro lens too.

Hmm sounds it...

You don't have to use the touch screen, you can use the buttons too, hardly pandering to youngsters, they give you multiple options, good in my book ;)

Anyway, best thing to do would go into a camera shop and give it a try (y)

Of course SM, I'm being a bit picky, as I say, a bad day. But I do need to get to grips with my photography again. Retirement (semi?) will give me more time, but Hazel is going to need my attention, she has a serious back operation on the 29th March . . . at least 12 months recovery!!!

However my 'picking' is what I would like, purely personal. I must get the G1 out and the D90, have a hose around, make up my mind. Stick with things as they are and wait for the next generation or 'trade in/sell' and put my money where my mouth is.

Its not as though I do anything more than take pictures for my own pleasure . . . :) Perhaps I should look at the local photo clubs . . . ? give me a bit more incentive? Tried it a couple of years ago, I did not seem to fit on the couple of occasions I attended? I can be a square peg in a round hole . . . :bang:
CJS

Of course SM, I'm being a bit picky, as I say, a bad day. But I do need to get to grips with my photography again. Retirement (semi?) will give me more time, but Hazel is going to need my attention, she has a serious back operation on the 29th March . . . at least 12 months recovery!!!

However my 'picking' is what I would like, purely personal. I must get the G1 out and the D90, have a hose around, make up my mind. Stick with things as they are and wait for the next generation or 'trade in/sell' and put my money where my mouth is.

Its not as though I do anything more than take pictures for my own pleasure . . . :) Perhaps I should look at the local photo clubs . . . ? give me a bit more incentive? Tried it a couple of years ago, I did not seem to fit on the couple of occasions I attended? I can be a square peg in a round hole . . . :bang:
CJS

Yeah get out there with the G1 and D90, just taking pictures will get you back into the flow (y)

Hope things get better for you soon ;)

Hi

Thanks for the comments re the pictures.
Andy-To be honest I think something like the GX1 would be more than enough camera for most people.It's only the extremes that need something different-sports,aviation,BIF etc.
If it wasn't for my aviation shooting I think I could do everything else with the GX1 and a few different lenses.I need a dslr and a big lens for the aviation so it's easier to buy the extra gear for the "better" camera rather than the M4/3 stuff.

The images from the 5D2 are better than the GX1 but in real world use is it really noticeable.At the end of the day most people with M4/3 are using 14-42/45 kit lenses and the 45-200 etc.If Panasonic brought out some real premium lenses like the Canon L's would the difference in IQ actually be noticeable at all.

It is hard to use the M4/3 stuff seriously when you have something like the 5D2 sitting there.I proved that earlier in the week when the GX1 was stuffed in the camera pocket and never saw the tripod but the 5D2 never moved off the tripod.

I am starting to ramble a bit but I'm seriously considering dropping to a 7D+100-400 for the aviation and then having a GX1,14-42,7-14,fisheye and 45-175 for everything else.The big test for me will come in the summer when I go abroad for the first time in 20 years.I want to just take the above M4/3 kit but can I leave the DSLR and L's at home.

A couple of comparison picks from Ennerdale.The first one was taken with the GX1,7 shot AEB handheld and the second pic with the 5D2+24-105L 3shot AEB on a tripod.
i-99RQF6K-L.jpg

i-2B7vj8c-L.jpg

Is there £1500 of difference in the final results???

Cheers
Gary

Hi

Cheers
Gary

I'd say not at all.

Prefer the foreground of the 5D2, but the distant mountains and sky look better on the GX1. Obviously the 5D2 would allow a much larger print, but how often do we need to do that

My own tests with G1, 20D and 5D tell me that at low to mid ISO's there are slight differences but post capture processing can get the shots to look very similar. Higher ISO shots are a bit better from the 20D and especially the 5D and 5D images respond better to NR but really, for me, ignoring pixel peeping the differences are mostly insignificant in a whole or slightly cropped image.

DR is more of an issue but if you can avoid blowing the highlights or having to boost shadows I think that MFT is pefectly acceptable.

Yes, but you can't shoot at f0.95 with that :D It is quite a shock to see the shutter speed and/or ISO change for the better plus you can use it as a sort of psudo macro lens too.

yes ! i know !

it's the same light as human eye can see if I remember correctly. pretty much can leave it at iso200 :D

but still - panny 25mm f1.4 will probably interest more.

getting a f0.95 is probably the same as getting leica M9 + shooting everything wide open and yelling - BOOOKKEEEEHHHH!!!! :D
a certain or similar scenario we all need to go through, but oh ! how I want one. just imagining shooting videos at night with it ! :(

but still - panny 25mm f1.4 will probably interest more.

...getting a f0.95 is probably the same as getting leica M9 + shooting everything wide open and yelling - BOOOKKEEEEHHHH!!!! :D

The reasons I got it are that it's the only lens I know of in MFT mount that gives similar DoF performance to a full frame fast 50mm lens, and then there's the close focusing. Plus it has markings and you can zone focus with it or even just set it to just under infinity and both of those things are difficult to very difficult with the 20mm f1.7.

With the 25mm f1.4 you'll lose some of the DoF flexibility and the markings although I although don't know what it's like to use manually for zone focusing and infinity I'd guess it's not as easy as with the Voigtlander. However, the AF will be nice.

Last edited:
Gary - Your explanation makes absolute sense to me. Totally understand the aviation thing too. Just before I sold my mkIV and all L lenses I thought about missing the aviation stuff. Then I though that in reality although I enjoy shooting planes I probably don't do it more than two or three times a year these days so it's silly to keep £5Ks worth of gear on that basis. For almost all other instances the M43 will be just fine.
When I went to Mallorca last year I had a long ponder if I should take just the GF2 or not. In the end I did take just that and the 14-42 and 14mm lenses and I am very please with the results. I concluded that I really didn't miss the DSLR, kind of like what you don't have you don't miss.
These are some of the Mallorca ones:

untitled shoot-011.jpg by Andy N Solaini, on Flickr

untitled shoot-006.jpg by Andy N Solaini, on Flickr

untitled shoot-005.jpg by Andy N Solaini, on Flickr

Mallorca-30.jpg by Andy N Solaini, on Flickr

Mallorca-18.jpg by Andy N Solaini, on Flickr

Think Im in love!

Lumix GF-1 with 20mm f/1.7 lens
Exposure 0.167 sec (1/6)
Aperture f/1.7
Focal Length 20 mm
ISO Speed 400
Exposure Bias 0 EV

Sebbe by TCR4x4, on Flickr​

Camera Panasonic DMC-GF1
Exposure 0.067 sec (1/15)
Aperture f/1.7
Focal Length 20 mm
ISO Speed 400
Exposure Bias 0 EV

Mirror by TCR4x4, on Flickr​
Wow!! Love the shot of the dog......I think it would look good in B&W too. Pin sharp as well
John

Great holiday shots Andy. I've seen you sold all your Canon gear. Still can't bring myself to part with my gear, maybe the new Olympus will add extra pressure ;)

The reasons I got it are that it's the only lens I know of in MFT mount that gives similar DoF performance to a full frame fast 50mm lens, and then there's the close focusing. Plus it has markings and you can zone focus with it or even just set it to just under infinity and both of those things are difficult to very difficult with the 20mm f1.7.

With the 25mm f1.4 you'll lose some of the DoF flexibility and the markings although I although don't know what it's like to use manually for zone focusing and infinity I'd guess it's not as easy as with the Voigtlander. However, the AF will be nice.

you don't make it easier for me don't you !? :D

Great holiday shots Andy. I've seen you sold all your Canon gear. Still can't bring myself to part with my gear, maybe the new Olympus will add extra pressure ;)
It was hard to do but worth it I think. I have moved much more in to video and I have a big Canon XF300 and XF100 and there is no way I would be able to travel with either of them and DSLR gear. I really came to the conclusion I would only use the DSLR gear in such a small number of situations (not commercial either) that I would much rather have the £5K for other hobbies. As I still have my M43 gear which is nearly identical IQ to the other stuff in most normal situations it's not like you lose out much. I still have a good camera rather than a top of the line one. ;)

Each to their own though.

Some of my favourite pics of last year were taken on the little GF3.A stonking little camera.

P1030954567Enhancer-L.jpg

P1030922345Enhancer-corr-L.jpg

P102053839404142Enhancer-L.jpg

P1030536373839404142Enhancer-L.jpg

P1030501234567Enhancer-L.jpg

Cheers
Gary

Gary, cracking shots, I love the one from Edinburgh!
I've been thinking about replacing my EP2 and either going back to a "full" DSLR, Sony NEX 5N or picking up one of the Panasonic M4/3 (GX1 or G3 likely) if thats the quality of shot the GF3 can take then I'm all but sold on a Panasonic!.

In defence of M4/3, like a lot of kit, shoot in 'fair' conditions and I'm more than happy with the results;

5629050642_3443a8df07_b.jpg

This was shot with the excellent (whatever anyone says about it only bing a 'kit' lens!) 14-45 along with an RF-602 trigger, softbox camera left and bare flash behind Chloe (my daughter). There's barely any pp other than a slight contrast boost so is almost SOOC!

5794285729_c1344c8bff_b.jpg

This was with my 24mm f1.4 CCTV lens wide open.

5596458500_c9f17916fd_b.jpg

As above

6005641000_3c908030af_b.jpg

Finally a bit of macro with an OM fit 50mm f1.8 and Raynox DCR-250 with remote flash.

Overall, I probably use my GF1 more than my 40D except for paid work where the GF would probably drown in some of the adventure races I shoot!

Cheers
Steve

Last edited:
Interesting discussions here. Just my tuppence worth...I sold up my Canon 50D with 100-400 and 70-200 L glass, amongst other lenses, on the grounds of weight. I've never looked back. I do aviation stuff, landscapes, urban and wildlife. I have a GF1 and GH2 and a 45-200 and 100-300 for aviation, although a couple here were taken with a G1 which I sold because it didn't focus fast enough for birds. I have no such problems with the GH2, nor do I see a significant reduction in quality, in fact I prefer the images from the GH2 to the 50D which, in IMHO, produced 'muddy' images.

P1020486.jpg

P1020596.jpg

P1050552.jpg

P1000437.jpg

GalModArt.jpg

Fbridge6.jpg

How are the bracketing options on either the G3 or the GX1? I like to have a play with both HDR or simple exposure blending but the Olympus EP2 is quite limited in terms of increments (can only shoot 3 bracketed shots) and I've taken quite a like to the GX1 but also quite like the look of the G3.

Also how is low light performance with the newer Panasonic Sensors? Is it an improvement over the older G/GFs?

Back