"Panasonic G series" Owners Thread

chrism_scotland said:
How are the bracketing options on either the G3 or the GX1? I like to have a play with both HDR or simple exposure blending but the Olympus EP2 is quite limited in terms of increments (can only shoot 3 bracketed shots) and I've taken quite a like to the GX1 but also quite like the look of the G3.

Also how is low light performance with the newer Panasonic Sensors? Is it an improvement over the older G/GFs?

I use my G3 and its 7 AEB shots for HDR, got some cracking results

Stroll out today with my new 45-200 (courtesy of allanm - mint condition) on G3 and taken these.

Uploaded straight from camera with no pp.

Milky sunshine after 3pm, - a bit misty.

Pretty pleased - very easy to use, fast focus. Church shot is a bit washed out but pleased with other images. Feel free to comment - on the compositions or the quality of the pic re the lens/body.

P1010422_500x334_.jpg

P1010425_334x500_.jpg

P1010439_500x334_.jpg

P1010435_334x500_.jpg

P1010427_334x500_.jpg

P1010440_334x500_.jpg

superpippo said:
Stroll out today with my new 45-200 (courtesy of allanm - mint condition) on G3 and taken these.

Uploaded straight from camera with no pp.

Milky sunshine after 3pm, - a bit misty.

Pretty pleased - very easy to use, fast focus. Church shot is a bit washed out but pleased with other images. Feel free to comment - on the compositions or the quality of the pic re the lens/body.

Not sure if it's the resolution or the fact that I'm viewing on my iPad, but they look very soft. Glenn's shots above look fine and sharp.

Great shot...

...but he doesn't look happy about getting snapped :D

I use my G3 and its 7 AEB shots for HDR, got some cracking results

Thanks mate, its the one thing I'd like to see improved on my EP2 is the bracketing.
I'm thinking I might be better investing in some lenses (25mm f1.4, 45mm f1.8 and if I can stretch to it the 9-18mm) rather than a new body right now, although I am sorely tempted by bother the G3 and GX1.

I'm getting tempted by the G3 . . . however, I hate the idea of the 'touch screen' . . . can the 'touch' facility be switched off, to allow the camera full adjustments via buttons (buttons, as per the G1) not menus? I mean 'switched off' not 'either or' . . . fully disabled!

I've been on the Panasonic site . . . they dont seem to cover this, they make a big fuss about the touch screen facility!!!!:puke:

CJSF

I'm getting tempted by the G3 . . . however, I hate the idea of the 'touch screen' . . . can the 'touch' facility be switched off, to allow the camera full adjustments via buttons (buttons, as per the G1) not menus? I mean 'switched off' not 'either or' . . . fully disabled!

I've been on the Panasonic site . . . they dont seem to cover this, they make a big fuss about the touch screen facility!!!!:puke:

CJSF

If you're just using the EVF you can have the LCD closed and not even use it at all. Default settings don't use the touch screen to take photos, just to navigate the menus - but you can use the buttons for everything so don't need to actually touch the screen at all. I'm not sure if you can disable touch completely if that's what you're asking? Unfortunately my partner has taken the G3 to Spain so can't check for you at the moment.. It does prove to be quite handy for quickly setting exposure points and changing settings quickly though. I didn't think I'd like it but now we need another 4/3s body so we can both take shots and I'm only looking at ones with touch screens, in fact I'll probably either pick up another G3 or the GX1.

CJSF

I will agree with that.

I don't know specifically with the G3, but most of the manuals are there and can be downloaded with print disabled.

I also like the speedy way of changing things like ISO and focus points on the screen rather than buttons. It does take some getting used to though.

Thanks mate, its the one thing I'd like to see improved on my EP2 is the bracketing.
I'm thinking I might be better investing in some lenses (25mm f1.4, 45mm f1.8 and if I can stretch to it the 9-18mm) rather than a new body right now, although I am sorely tempted by bother the G3 and GX1.

Here's some examples of my results from G3 and 7 AEB HDR's

6385286309_573cca02bd_z.jpg

6396676693_0de6508793_z.jpg

6824838491_af947f2872_z.jpg

Amazing photos Julian! The first one is my favourite. The black and yellow on the boat go really well with the sky colour.

Are you HDR shots blended in some software package or do you blend them selectively by hand? It's a long while since I did any HDRs.

Amazing photos Julian! The first one is my favourite. The black and yellow on the boat go really well with the sky colour.

Are you HDR shots blended in some software package or do you blend them selectively by hand? It's a long while since I did any HDRs.

Thanks Andy :)

I use Photomatix for HDR processing then a bit of post work in Photoshop

I don't know specifically with the G3, but most of the manuals are there and can be downloaded with print disabled.

I also like the speedy way of changing things like ISO and focus points on the screen rather than buttons. It does take some getting used to though.

My very limited, 2nd hand experience with touch screens, indicates they can get changed very easily by accident. I have enough problems copping with things in general, without having to worry about unnecessary problems . . .

. . . ???? CJS

Hi All,

Had mine G3 for a few weeks now, I still have the Canon 5D II.

I'm actually very much surprised with the G3, only down side for me is low light not as good as the 5D. But I will be staying with m43 now as my everyday setup!

btw, just got myself a Minolta Rokkor 50mm 1.4 from ebay, can't wait for it and the adapter to arrive.

Will keep you guys posted

Ricky

My own little tests have convinced me that if you choose your settings, maybe expose a little to the right and back the exposure off a little post capture to give a more accurate image, process using modern software and NR and avoid boosting shadows, my GF1 and G1 are maybe a stop behind my 5D files taken and processed the same way, maybe a little more, maybe a little less, but within spitting distance.

woof woof said:
My own little tests have convinced me that if you choose your settings, maybe expose a little to the right and back the exposure off a little post capture to give a more accurate image, process using modern software and NR and avoid boosting shadows, my GF1 and G1 are maybe a stop behind my 5D files taken and processed the same way, maybe a little more maybe a little less, but within spitting distance.

I'm a bit confused! Isn't exposing to the right overexposing?
Then you say 'back the exposure off a little'.
Doesn't that leave you back at square one? :)

I'm assuming he means expose to the right in order to give the camera enough image infor to work with (without blowing anything out) and then tweak the exposure a bit down in post to your tastes.

My own little tests have convinced me that if you choose your settings, maybe expose a little to the right and back the exposure off a little post capture to give a more accurate image, process using modern software and NR and avoid boosting shadows, my GF1 and G1 are maybe a stop behind my 5D files taken and processed the same way, maybe a little more, maybe a little less, but within spitting distance.
Alan what NR software would you recommend? I am quite interested to explore them a bit more and see what they can do as part of my M4/3 workflow.

soma said:
I'm assuming he means expose to the right in order to give the camera enough image infor to work with (without blowing anything out) and then tweak the exposure a bit down in post to your tastes.

Ah..yes, I get it now! :)

I found some GF2 and 14-42mm shots that were taken in less than ideal conditions. I think they came out ok though after a little but of tweaking.

The mighty CMA CGM Christoph Coulomb leaving Zeebrugge. You maybe don't get a sense of the size of it when she is at sea but think that each of those containers is the size of and articulated lorry and I think you get a better idea!

Christophe Colomb by Andy N Solaini, on Flickr

I'm a bit confused! Isn't exposing to the right overexposing?
Then you say 'back the exposure off a little'.
Doesn't that leave you back at square one? :)

You'd think so but I think you still come out a little on top. That's the normal way I shoot anyway and with an in view histogram it should be easy enough to shift the histogram over to the right without blowing highlights... if you have time to do all this before taking the shot :D and of course if shifting to the right blows something then you don't bother.

If you Google "exposing to the right" you'll find better explanations than I can give but basically a high % of the dynamic range is over to the RHS and if you shoot a "normal" smack in the middle exposure you don't make use of it so it could be a good idea to shoot this way even without the side effect of noise being hidden. There's a write up at Luminous here...

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tutorials/expose-right.shtml

As you'll end up with a shot that's too bright one nice side effect of backing it off is that noise seems to be hidden in the final image.

Give it a try as see what you think :D

Alan what NR software would you recommend? I am quite interested to explore them a bit more and see what they can do as part of my M4/3 workflow.

I tried all the usual free trial download suspects but I stuck with CS5. It may not be the best but it's easy to use and as I wouldn't describe myself as being good at the post capture stuff easy is good for me. I find that if I can ETTR and back it off only minimal NR is needed, sometimes even none.

The main thing to me is to try and avoid excessive boosting the shadows as that seems to be the best way of introducing visible noise.

I found some GF2 and 14-42mm shots that were taken in less than ideal conditions. I think they came out ok though after a little but of tweaking.

The mighty CMA CGM Christoph Coulomb leaving Zeebrugge. You maybe don't get a sense of the size of it when she is at sea but think that each of those containers is the size of and articulated lorry and I think you get a better idea!

Nice shots, I went to take some shots of CMA CGM Christoph Coulom on her first visit to Southampton last year :geek:

Back