"Panasonic G series" Owners Thread

had a look, very interesting reading that and plenty for me to think about. I had thought about a nex5n as an option, but there are more system lenses available for the m4/3 mount.
If you had a read of my "test" please don't take the results too seriously. ;) The mkIV is a way better camera (obviously) but as all I do these days is post shots on here and flickr, print the odd one and look at them on my computer, there really isn't much in it. The pluses of the GF2, easy to carry, more discreet, cheaper, all far outweigh any slight difference in image quality.

So if you could choose between the Panasonic 20mm and 14mm for your first prime which would you go for?
I love my 14mm for it's small size and wide(ish) field of view. However I do want to get a 20mm for it's larger aperture.

Hi - seems to be some of the old names still in here and some new supporters of M43 (y)

How many people have got a GX1? I still lust after my old GF1 and whilst it would be cheaper to source a 2nd hand one of those, the GX1 seems to be tugging at my wallet.

What are your views on the newer camera - what's better, what's worse?

Thanking you in advance ....

If you had a read of my "test" please don't take the results too seriously. ;) The mkIV is a way better camera (obviously) but as all I do these days is post shots on here and flickr, print the odd one and look at them on my computer, there really isn't much in it. The pluses of the GF2, easy to carry, more discreet, cheaper, all far outweigh any slight difference in image quality.

It shows that something like this would be quite a good option for me. I keep looking at the gx1 which seems a very capable camera.

Hi - seems to be some of the old names still in here and some new supporters of M43 (y)

How many people have got a GX1? I still lust after my old GF1 and whilst it would be cheaper to source a 2nd hand one of those, the GX1 seems to be tugging at my wallet.

What are your views on the newer camera - what's better, what's worse?

Thanking you in advance ....

I have just read dpreviews rview this morning and have to say I am very impressed, especially with its iso performance.

YEs, but G3 is also a step up in high ISO performance from the older sensor in the G1, GF1 and G3 is far better value than GX1. Looks like the new Oly OM-D might be better yet. But the new 16MP sensor in the G3 and GX1 does bring with it a downside - a bit more luminance and chroma noise at low ISO in shadows and blue skies - easily remedied in JPEG with in-camera NR or else in raw processing with a touch of NR in an app like Lightroom, but it's something that DSLR users might not be used to having to do with base/low ISO images and it seems a bit worse than with the 12MP sensor in the G1/GF1/G2/EP-1/EP-2

It shows that something like this would be quite a good option for me. I keep looking at the gx1 which seems a very capable camera.

I have just read dpreviews rview this morning and have to say I am very impressed, especially with its iso performance.

Thanks for the opinions. I really want to get both, maybe use the 20mm for normal shooting and the 14mm for when i need video use.

I MUST WIN A LOTTERY !!!

nokton17surOMD.jpg

finally see the dream combo of e-m5 and 17mm f0.95

both of these items will be about 1300 each.
I've never wanted something so bad !
although I wish you could hide the lcd like you can with the pannys

I may be entirely wrong, but I can't see how autofocus between completely different manufacturers equipment would be possible unless compatibility was built in from the ground up (not likely between any body manufacturers). I suspect the autofocus firmware in the Panasonic body would need to incorporate Nikon lens routines, and they'd have to be licenced by Panasonic, but I doubt nikon would license that kind of thing.

Happy to be corrected tho! :)

As for the M42, does the lens not have an aperture ring you can use?

Hi,

Yeah I was wondering on that af thing. But I think they mean that the newer afs have an af motor in the lens so its just getting power and whatever to control the af right. As you posted that might not be possible with licencing... So my question is more to anyone who may have bought one and whether it works... If it did then the missus can borrow the lenses I'll be carting around :)

As to the m42 I'm interested in a good mount... as the 300 I have does have an aperture ring to use. Its more which mount would be best (from people who have bought and used). I am not keen on the metal rings, but if that is the only way to go might be worth it :)

Has this been posted? possible info on a GH2 replacement New High End Panasonic
Sounds interesting. My real wish is that they could make a M4/3 that would handle fast moving subjects like sports, aviation and motorsport. I know some of you have got good pics of these things but I don't find it easy on my GF2. The lag between shots being a major hindrance when tracking something like a runner.

It's not just the name then Barb.

soooo - is it a marvelous lens ? apart from motor zoom and small size ? read some reviews and they said that it's not that better than the typical 14-42mm .

Both images are great. Not sure which I prefer.
I'm thinking maybe the B&W.

soooo - is it a marvelous lens ? apart from motor zoom and small size ? read some reviews and they said that it's not that better than the typical 14-42mm .
I've not had much chance to try it out properly yet as it's been so depressingly dull outside, but from the photos I've taken indoors I must say that I was really impressed at how sharp and well focused the photos were at 1/8 sec, hand held, something I've never managed to achieve with the 14-42 kit lens.

looking forward to seeing more ! :)

here's mine from today with my night rider kitted out GH1 + 14mm f2.5

dull pic, but I have affection towards these old concrete absolutely ridiculous looking buildings.

the sharpness is stunning ! goes well beyond raw and sensor capabilities. and I wish I had camera raw + photoshop.

6887572257_21f1eee45e_b.jpg

My new lens arrived today, excellent service from Clifton Cameras. These are my first shots with it.
B&W version

I love the size of it, and so far very impressed with its handling and image quality.

What a well broken in pair of walking boots they look, bet you would not like to replace those as quickly you would buy a lens;)

looking forward to seeing more ! :)

here's mine from today with my night rider kitted out GH1 + 14mm f2.5

dull pic, but I have affection towards these old concrete absolutely ridiculous looking buildings.

the sharpness is stunning ! goes well beyond raw and sensor capabilities. and I wish I had camera raw + photoshop.

6887572257_21f1eee45e_b.jpg

The 14mm is a nice lens. I must do a comparison when the weather improves with the 14mm end of the power zoom compared to my 14mm prime.:thinking:

there are few issues with red/purple fringing though. other than that - I don't see why it would be worse than a really good apsc dslr.

Had a brief play with a gx1 today in jessops. It feels so well made. Only annoying thing is the grip, didn't quite feel big enough in my hands. Not sure how it would feel with a Canon 55mm f1.2 on the front of it! I really did like the handling of the g2, and I was very impressed with the evf on that, much better than I was expecting! Decisions! I wish the g2 body had the new sensor in that the gx1 has.

Had a brief play with a gx1 today in jessops. It feels so well made. Only annoying thing is the grip, didn't quite feel big enough in my hands.

I found the grip different, certainly very different from the Nikons I have owned. I have found it gets more pleasant with use! That said, the largest lens I have used on it is the 45-200.

I found the grip different, certainly very different from the Nikons I have owned. I have found it gets more pleasant with use! That said, the largest lens I have used on it is the 45-200.

Its probably because I am so used to my 30d. It was also connected to an alarm tag thingy, so probably didnt get the best feel for it. I'm going to focus in March so will try and have a decent time with one there.

Quick in camera Jpeg with NR comparison.

Here is the basic image taken with 14mm F2.5 all samples at F4.5

Iso160_33_full.jpg

Then 1:1 crops from;

At Iso160 +1/3EV

ISO160_33crop11.jpg

At Iso160 -1/3EV

ISO160-33crop11.jpg

At Iso800 +1/3EV

ISO800crop11.jpg

At Iso1600 +1/3EV

ISO1600crop11.jpg

At Iso3200 +1/3EV

ISO3200crop11.jpg

astonishing !

only problem I have with the G3 is the looks ! but if the gx1 and e-m5 won't be much better in IQ I'll be looking towards buying it.

high iso is very, very good ! :)

Having used the Olympus 45mm for a little while now, it's fast becoming one of my fav lenses, that's including all my Canon gear too. The only thing that could be even better would be to use it on an Olympus body for IS. I know I'm going to get an OM-D now :D

Interested to hear from anyone with the Olympus 12mm as this seems to be the best m4/3 lens around, DxO even rate it above crop DSLR with 24mm L lens.

ShrubMonkey said:
Having used the Olympus 45mm for a little while now, it's fast becoming one of my fav lenses, that's including all my Canon gear too. The only thing that could be even better would be to use it on an Olympus body for IS. I know I'm going to get an OM-D now :D
I'm thinking of going for the Olly 45mm, but the lack of IS is my biggest concern by far, as I don't get on brilliantly with unstabilized longer focal lengths (50/90mm) handheld on my DSLR... What situations with it do you find yourself wishing for IS?

Just got the 20mm Panny today, very very impressed :D It may just become my new favourite lens, need to get out with it soon...

Back