"Panasonic G series" Owners Thread

Well to be fair I was using the 45mm in Monkey world (shooting behind dirty glass) and also in a motor museum (harsh light and shadows) so these were challenging environments. Under normal conditions I've not really found the lack of IS to be an issues, but it's these times that you really miss it.

Congrats on the 20mm that's a nice lens too ;)

ShrubMonkey said:
Well to be fair I was using the 45mm in Monkey world (shooting behind dirty glass) and also in a motor museum (harsh light and shadows) so these were challenging environments. Under normal conditions I've not really found the lack of IS to be an issues, but it's these times that you really miss it.

Congrats on the 20mm that's a nice lens too ;)
Thanks for this, good info. I reckon I'll sell on my 14-42 and save up for the 45mm... The 14, 20 and 45 seem like a bit of a tiny dream team for my recent obsession with primes :)

Looking forward to getting out with the 20mm, even just test snapshots have jumped off the screen at me!

bought a Samyang 7.5mm fisheye not long ago and thought i'd share a couple of pics from it with you. i'm really pleased with the lens, setting it manually is taking a little getting used to and hopefully when the sky isn't so flat and it is a bit lighter i'll be able to get out and really try it out. i'm also trying to find what sort of shot works best with it as it's not as obvious as i'd first thought

6890868321_af925d80f0_z.jpg

6890875675_41d0d9beb7_z.jpg

6777981297_f687e3e084_z.jpg

anyone else got one?

Have owned a GX1 for a month or so, I started getting used to looking at a screen rather than through a viewfinder. Today the screen was too difficult to see so focussing was difficult and I'm starting to think the the lvf2 is going to be a purchase.

Has anyone else here got one? I think it must dramatically alter the dynamic of the camera, is it difficult to adjust back?

Finally, anyone anywhere near Huntingdon have one? I'd like to try it and none of the local shops stock them.

Have owned a GX1 for a month or so, I started getting used to looking at a screen rather than through a viewfinder. Today the screen was too difficult to see so focussing was difficult and I'm starting to think the the lvf2 is going to be a purchase.

Has anyone else here got one? I think it must dramatically alter the dynamic of the camera, is it difficult to adjust back?

Finally, anyone anywhere near Huntingdon have one? I'd like to try it and none of the local shops stock them.

I think you've hit the the main problem I can see with the GX1 (coupled with lvf2), for the money I just can't see why anybody wouldn't buy a G3 :(

Anyway that didn't help your question (sorry), I'd try and find one in stock and give it a try.

Last edited:
I prefer to use a VF but I've noticed that in very low light when nothing can be seen through my G1 EVF the back screen still shows some detail. Other than that I don't really like using the rear screen at all.

bought a Samyang 7.5mm fisheye not long ago and thought i'd share a couple of pics from it with you. i'm really pleased with the lens, setting it manually is taking a little getting used to and hopefully when the sky isn't so flat and it is a bit lighter i'll be able to get out and really try it out. i'm also trying to find what sort of shot works best with it as it's not as obvious as i'd first thought

anyone else got one?

I bought one late last year although never really been that happy with it for some reason, it's a very neat little lens making it easy to carry around and focus is generally easy due to the depth of field but exposure never seemed right for me which shouldn't be the case. I've been meaning to get it out again and spend more time with it.

John

Tulipone said:

What do you think to the GX1? What lens do you use with it please?

JohnMcL7 said:
I bought one late last year although never really been that happy with it for some reason, it's a very neat little lens making it easy to carry around and focus is generally easy due to the depth of field but exposure never seemed right for me which shouldn't be the case. I've been meaning to get it out again and spend more time with it.

John

Although I really like it and I'm getting used to it, I know what you mean. I shoot in raw and LR is my saviour. In the olden days manual settings were second nature but I'm not quite there with them yet. I also think I cant use it all the time and it suits a very particular shot, its fun though

Tulipone said:
I thought it'd be good for a play so had a look at how much they are. Wow. Maybe not! Your pictures are fun though.

At just over 200 I thought for what it is it was ok. I also convinced myself that if I ever wanted to sell it on it would hold some value. The things I tell myself when I want a new bit if kit!

What do you think to the GX1? What lens do you use with it please?

So far I love it. I have the non power 14-42 kit lens and a 45-200.

I have had a number of DSLR cameras over the years, all Nikon and have always struggled with the concept of lugging all the kit around. I have usually ended up with a rucksack or else kicked myself because the bit of kit I wanted was at home rather than with me. The M4/3 cameras mean that a small bag is probably sufficient for everything I am likely to have.

This is an interest to me and I get more wrong than ever I get right. More recently, I actually seem to remember stuff that I have read whilst taking a picture.

The first few times I went out, it felt weird. Too small and no viewfinder meant chimping the screen - but then I started using some of the features I'd never seen on a DSLR - such as Pinpoint AF. The touchscreen is still taking some time to adjust to and I am still using the buttons to change settings. There are re-assignable buttons that I really need to get to grips with also. I am really pleased with the quality, sharpness and colour of pictures straight out of the camera.

Today was the first time I felt as though I wanted the viewfinder as it was bright out. It wasn't a major problem and I'll wait until I can try one before buying - and even then it is going to have to do some smart talking to get me to part with £200. I like the range of my lenses but have hankered for macro and maybe something with more range but until I get over my dislike of tripods, neither are likely.

M4/3 is the way ahead for me and I am enjoying taking photos again.

Question: When you see someone with a kit rucksack and huge DSLR with a lens bigger than a bus, what do you think?

Last edited:
Question: When you see someone with a kit rucksack and huge DSLR with a lens bigger than a bus, what do you think?

I think they're either single or have very understanding partners.

Wondering around Bruges with my other half and feeling self conscious when using my GF1+20mm I did wonder what use one guy was finding for his 7D and 70-200mm L lens.

Chris your post sums up the advantages of M4/3 really well and I agree with all you say.

M4/3 is the way ahead for me and I am enjoying taking photos again.
This is the bit that I really relate to. (y)

Upgraded from GF1 to GX1 and very happy so far, nice resolution bump and actually really enjoying the option for touchscreen control in addition to the dials/buttons (which I still use more often). Picked up the LVF2 and it's essentially just the same as the viewfinder in my wife's G3 so if you can't test an LVF2 then just try out a G3. The LVF2 is small enough to chuck in a pocket or bag so whilst I don't think I will use it all of the time it's easy to have it on hand at any point.

Also picked up the Voigtlander 25mm f0.95 and the Olympus 45mm f1.8 so need to slow the spending down a touch (although have the 14-42 PZ on the way for the missus). The Olympus is a cracking lens, the Voigtlander is a funny beast, takes awesome photos and has a lot of creative potential but I don't think I'll be using it nearly as much as the Olympus.

I moved from a 20k+ Nikon setup so even with a few tasty lenses, shooting 4/3 is a bargain and I honestly think more and more people will be heading this way now that the image quality and choice of lenses is pretty compelling :)

To answer your question first Tulipone - I could be looking in a mirror! I have recently come back from a trip to London and carted a 7D, with 24-105 and 70-200 lens around all day and they weighed me down.
I am looking at getting a GX1 as I tried one out and it felt extremely well made and well balanced in my hands. The rubberised grip and metal body felt solid and comfortable. Also liked the thought of having a good deal of settings which are configurable via buttons on the back.
I have a G3 at the moment but am looking at selling it in favour of the GX1. The G3 is very nice but I prefer the look of the GX1 better- personal choice I suppose :)
May put the G3 in the classified section.

Last edited:
sgott said:
To answer your question first Tulipone - I could be looking in a mirror! I have recently come back from a trip to London and carted a 7D, with 24-105 and 70-200 lens around all day and they weighed me down.
I am looking at getting a GX1 as I tried one out and it felt extremely well made and well balanced in my hands. The rubberised grip and metal body felt solid and comfortable. Also liked the thought of having a good deal of settings which are configurable via buttons on the back.
I have a G3 at the moment but am looking at selling it in favour of the GX1. The G3 is very nice but I prefer the look of the GX1 better- personal choice I suppose :)
May put the G3 in the classified section.

I hear you on lugging DSLR gear around all day :)

But looking to switch from a G3 to GX1 one on looks alone is a little excessive, each to their own as you say.

The more I use my G3 the more I just don't like how it feels, there's something not quite right about the compactness and shape in the hand. My cheap second hand G1 just feels much better, if a little bulkier. Again personal choice I guess ;)

I find the same, my wife loves her G3 but I find it too small to feel like an SLR (coming from a D700) and too big/bulky to be a compact like my GX1. She on the other hand found the D700 far too big and the G3 suits her as an "SLR".

I'm considering swapping the DSLR kit as well. I've don't use my kit as much as I thought I would and keep going back to my Panasonic FZ7 that I've had for years as its a lot more compact.
Seeing the amazing pictures people are posting in here is really making me want to go ahead with the change, but the cost of lenses put me off, particularly the telephoto's.

I've mentioned the Olympus 45mm lens and how it's becoming my fav lens of all my gear, so I'd thought I'd post a few pics, taken with G1.

All these images have had post processing applied, but no more than I'd do with my full 5D2 images.

6911633919_13c87ace0a_z.jpg

6903074061_6fe9d06af7_z.jpg

6896707979_d045ed6029_z.jpg

I hear you on lugging DSLR gear around all day :)

But looking to switch from a G3 to GX1 one on looks alone is a little excessive, each to their own as you say.

The more I use my G3 the more I just don't like how it feels, there's something not quite right about the compactness and shape in the hand. My cheap second hand G1 just feels much better, if a little bulkier. Again personal choice I guess ;)

The wife thinks Im mad as well actually and Im getting a lot of this :nono: but after spending time trying to get along with the G3 Im finding myself not entirely convinced with it. I tried out the GX1 in London and it felt different again, much more sturdy and the build quality seemed far better.
Nothing wrong with the G3 - just agree with Ricky as well with the size of it!

ShrubMonkey said:
I've mentioned the Olympus 45mm lens and how it's becoming my fav lens of all my gear, so I'd thought I'd post a few pics, taken with G1.

All these images have had post processing applied, but no more than I'd do with my full 5D2 images.

Cracking images, 2nd is my choice ;)

nice pics, i can see why you like it so much. much difference you find between the G1 and G3? although you've no doubt been over this, is it worth an upgrade from a G1 to a G3? really?

nice pics, i can see why you like it so much. much difference you find between the G1 and G3? although you've no doubt been over this, is it worth an upgrade from a G1 to a G3? really?

Many thanks. I actually purchased the G3 new first, I then purchased the secondhand G1 with the intention of having it converted to IR, but have not yet done it, due to loving the feel and handling of the G1 over the G3. Give me the G3 in a G1 body and I'd love that.

The Olympus is a beautiful lens, don't know how to describe it, it makes me just want to go and takes pictures, of anything :love:

Evening all,

Have read the last 30 or so pages of this thread, I'd like to pose a couple of questions if I may...

I'm an ex Olympus OM 35mm user, came to digital with one of the first Kodak Digital cameras (DC 210), a number of Fuji bridge cameras - S5600, S9600 (with fold out screen) and currently S200 EXR. I also run an Lumix TZ10 which is a nice piece of kit to carry around in the pocket.

I'm at the point where I want to invest in a system instead of changing a bridge camera every couple of years and the size of the 4/3 system appeals for all the obvious reasons.

I found the fold out screen on the Fuji 9600 a great advantage and would like to replicate that (I know Nikon etc do this on full size) hence one of the reasons the G3 looks like a nice option.

I firmly believe that the most important piece of kit in attaining good images is the MK1 eyeball and that most kit above a certain point is now probably good enough for the enthusiastic amateur. A friend though has an EOS 20D which does produce better results under similar circumstances to my S200 EXR, however the TZ10 can also do that....

A bit of rambling and thinking out loud here.... I'm attracted to the G3 twin lens kit, is this a sensible way to go if I commit to the G3? Are the zoom functions manual or motorised? I don't like motorised zoom in anything than a compact.

I still need to go back and handle it a bit more to decide how the ergonomics work...

I think the only motorised lenses are those with "x" in their name like the 14-42 x Vario.

I have a 20D and a couple of older MFT, GF1 and G1. I'd say that the 20D gives very marginally better images if you want to pixel peep but at normal print and screen sizes you'd be hard pushed to pick fault or see any real difference. The big advantage for MFT is that they're give pretty good quality images and they're smaller and lighter.

woof woof said:
I think the only motorised lenses are those with "x" in their name like the 14-42 x Vario.

I have a 20D and a couple of older MFT, GF1 and G1. I'd say that the 20D gives very marginally better images if you want to pixel peep but at normal print and screen sizes you'd be hard pushed to pick fault or see any real difference. The big advantage for MFT is that they're give pretty good quality images and they're smaller and lighter.

The zoom functionality on camera on the G3 is manual, you will get motorised only on the x series lens as mentioned above.
The TZ10 turns out equal- if better at times, images as the G3. It provides an excellent image however, when married up to the 25mm summilux prime lens :)

pah... my Olympus PEN has developed a fault within two weeks of getting it (thankfully bought it new) so is going back for a refund. One thing my brief time with it did show was that in body IS isn't as good as in lens IS, and as that was the main reason for getting the camera I don't think I'll bother with another in a hurry. Annoyingly I sold my G1 when I got the Oly (didn't need too many m43 cameras)... what to get to replace it. I could pick up another G1 (also have a G3) or possible a GF3. I might do the sensible thing and keep the money in the bank!

No such thing as an overpriced Canon lens - thats my story anyway (y)

postcardcv said:
pah... my Olympus PEN has developed a fault within two weeks of getting it (thankfully bought it new) so is going back for a refund. One thing my brief time with it did show was that in body IS isn't as good as in lens IS, and as that was the main reason for getting the camera I don't think I'll bother with another in a hurry. Annoyingly I sold my G1 when I got the Oly (didn't need too many m43 cameras)... what to get to replace it. I could pick up another G1 (also have a G3) or possible a GF3. I might do the sensible thing and keep the money in the bank!

Interesting that you found in camera IS not that great...

I'm about to pull the trigger on E-M5 preorder. Get the battery grip free if you preorder

Last edited:

That looks significantly better than the IS system on the PEN mini that I had. On the one I had the IS was definitely less effective than the in lens IS on the Panasonic lenses I have (14-42 and 100-300) when shooting stills. The IS system when shooting video was very poor and the video looked worse than when there was a bit of camera shake. Glad to see that the E-M5 looks much better, shame about the price!

Back