"Panasonic G series" Owners Thread

It is a good deal for a GF3; I have just bought one. Ordered it Tuesday night, it was delivered Thursday morning.

I was originally looking for a 14mm lens for my wife's G3 but couldn't resist the chance to pick up a GF3 body & a copy of Lightroom 3 for £60 more than it would have cost for a new lens.

Brian

N.E. England (y)....keep em coming:)..what part?.

Never registered the GF1 at the time of buying new, or the s/h G1, just registered the s/h G3 today.

Oh I didn't realise you could register a s/h one that might've already been registered.
Perhaps I should do my G2 :thinking:

I can't decide whether to change my Panasonic 14-42 lens for the 14-45.
My 14-42 is a little soft at the long end which isn't a massive issue, but I keep hearing that the 14-45 is better.
I can pick up a good condition used 14-45 with hood for around £130 on ebay which seems like a pretty good price and I'd probably recoup most of that back by selling on the 14-42.

Here I am again Mandoo, first picture for 6 months!!! Golden hour light . . . perhaps just befor? G1/14-45mm absolutly briliant lens, IMHO:naughty: this is realy a crop in on the original shot, a fair bit of adjustment in RAW. I had to do the fidling because it was like picking up the camera from new, I have a problem that means if I dont use a particular part of my memory I forget after a few months . . . Doh???

Never mind, its my first picture, after 6 months a mile stone for me:
1000Knotsample.jpg

. . . this is the original and untouched JPG:
1000originalJPGknot.jpg

The reviews have said the 14-45 was the best, the picture above was taken using the fantastic manual focus facility on the G1, briliant if the subject is not moveing.

Having all sorts of fun and games with a new computer, 'Windows 7' and PS Elements 8, used to use 'v.7' , it aint like my steam operated, steady Eddy 5 year old 'XP' computer. Ho-hum, I officialy retired today, so I will have lots of time to work it out . . . :bonk: :LOL: :LOL: Need to improve my spelling too, sorry.

CJS

Last edited:
been toying with the LR4 over the weekend and i like it alot. it's alot less grainy and alot better on details with RAW files than LR3 (which i already thought was great) i'll see how it fairs over the coming weeks as get used to it.

here is a quick snap in a really dark sty with a G1 and 20mm

6993776279_9c390d54a3_c.jpg

Last edited:
been toying with the LR4 over the weekend and i like it alot. it's alot less grainy and alot better on details with RAW files than LR3 (which i already thought was great) i'll see how it fairs over the coming weeks as get used to it.

here is a quick snap in a really dark sty with a G1 and 20mm

6993776279_9c390d54a3_c.jpg

Superb image from the G1

Here I am again Mandoo, first picture for 6 months!!! Golden hour light . . . perhaps just befor? G1/14-45mm absolutly briliant lens, IMHO:naughty: this is realy a crop in on the original shot, a fair bit of adjustment in RAW. I had to do the fidling because it was like picking up the camera from new, I have a problem that means if I dont use a particular part of my memory I forget after a few months . . . Doh???

Never mind, its my first picture, after 6 months a mile stone for me:

. . . this is the original and untouched JPG:

The reviews have said the 14-45 was the best, the picture above was taken using the fantastic manual focus facility on the G1, briliant if the subject is not moveing.

Having all sorts of fun and games with a new computer, 'Windows 7' and PS Elements 8, used to use 'v.7' , it aint like my steam operated, steady Eddy 5 year old 'XP' computer. Ho-hum, I officialy retired today, so I will have lots of time to work it out . . . :bonk: :LOL: :LOL: Need to improve my spelling too, sorry.

CJS

For a zoom lens that 14-45 looks great, much better than the kit 14-42

I've now had chance to get out in the sun today with my g3 and oly 45mm. I have to say, the lens is possibly the best lens I have ever used. The shallow DoF is simply awesome. I need to get some edits done and will try and get some pics posted end of week.

I bit the bullet and went for a 14-45.
I'm looking at it as a long term investment as I'm likely to keep to the m4/3 format now and will probably upgrade the body in the future. With that in mind I'd rather have the best kit lens available to go with it or to sell on if newer lenses get better.
The other benefit is hopefully getting better images than my current kit lens obviously.

MJUK said:
I've now had chance to get out in the sun today with my g3 and oly 45mm. I have to say, the lens is possibly the best lens I have ever used. The shallow DoF is simply awesome. I need to get some edits done and will try and get some pics posted end of week.

Lovely lens isn't it :). I can't remove my 45 from my G1

That's a 3D rendering of what its supposed to look like... A bit OTT in my opinion to get excited about a mockup?

That's a 3D rendering of what its supposed to look like... A bit OTT in my opinion to get excited about a mockup?

'Excited' don't think anybody is getting excited, just comment on what folks think. ok it's a mock up, but it's not hard to imagine what it would look like from that image. Come on folks :D

Do any of you use external flash guns with your g series, such as the nissin di466 or any others? My dad is wondering about one to go with his new g3.

I use the nissin di466 with my G series cameras and it works fine. The flash head only swivels up and down though and not horizontal, but this isn't a problem if you use the flash off camera using it's built in wireless mode.

I use the nissin di466 with my G series cameras and it works fine. The flash head only swivels up and down though and not horizontal, but this isn't a problem if you use the flash off camera using it's built in wireless mode.

Thanks Barbara for that, will the nissin gun be triggered by the on camera flash then?

Here is a pic from my dads new G3, the lens used was an olympus 85mm f2 om lens

g3 daff by scilly puffin, on Flickr

Last edited:
Thanks Barbara for that, will the nissin gun be triggered by the on camera flash then?

Here is a pic from my dads new G3, the lens used was an olympus 85mm f2 om lens

g3 daff by scilly puffin, on Flickr

Yes that's how it works. I reduce the power down on my on camera flash so that it doesn't contribute to the light on the subject though.

Seems I am seriously considering returning to m43 (again) :LOL:

Thanks for the info re the GF3 offer - here's my plan...

Buy the GF3 & 14mm with LR3 for £249

Sell the GF3 body for approx £200 and then buy a GX1 body for £429 from Mathers.

Total cost for brand new GX1 & 14mm plus LR3 is approx £480 as opposed to over £620 (y)

Reckon it would be rude not too :D

Sell the GF3 body for approx £200 and then buy a GX1 body for £429 from Mathers.

Total cost for brand new GX1 & 14mm plus LR3 is approx £480 as opposed to over £620 (y)

nice plan :)

I had a few minutes to shoot some macro at lunchtime today so thought I'd upload them here :) Handheld GF1 with OM 50mm 3.5 macro and vivitar extension tubes. I also held a Jessops 360afd flash in my left hand at 24mm 1/16 triggered optically by the GF1 flash.

1) This looked like a young Woodlouse and was around 5mm long (it's sitting in the groove in my wooden decking!)

7003015119_781016e819_b.jpg

2) This looked like an adult Woodlouse and was around 8-10mm long (it's also sitting in the groove in my wooden decking!)

7003017531_34413cbe18_b.jpg

I'm amazed at the quality of the results from the OM lens and cheap vivitar tubes. All in it's cost me around £50 so not bad at all ;)

By the way, this is the full-on scud missile style macro (with additional 2x OM teleconverter which I didn't use for these shots)

6963971963_1680f56c77_b.jpg

Cheers
Steve

Ooh now where are my membership details? My brother has been on about getting a Lumix G series camera, and that sounds like a great deal.

go to the site, you might have selected widows to remember your passwod or if you know your user name can get password emailed to you
Cracking deal

stevelmx5 said:
I had a few minutes to shoot some macro at lunchtime today so thought I'd upload them here :) Handheld GF1 with OM 50mm 3.5 macro and vivitar extension tubes. I also held a Jessops 360afd flash in my left hand at 24mm 1/16 triggered optically by the GF1 flash.

1) This looked like a young Woodlouse and was around 5mm long (it's sitting in the groove in my wooden decking!)

2) This looked like an adult Woodlouse and was around 8-10mm long (it's also sitting in the groove in my wooden decking!)

I'm amazed at the quality of the results from the OM lens and cheap vivitar tubes. All in it's cost me around £50 so not bad at all ;)

By the way, this is the full-on scud missile style macro (with additional 2x OM teleconverter which I didn't use for these shots)

Cheers
Steve

That woodlouse shot looks super, well on my android phone it does

nice plan :)

Nice plan Alan but I would check the rules as it may viewed as profiteering if your plan is to sell on this forum.

ShrubMonkey said:
That woodlouse shot looks super, well on my android phone it does

Thanks, I still love my GF1 and the fact it can hold its own alongside my 40D in most situations. I even shot a wedding on it last Saturday with just my cctv lens (and 2 40D's!)

Cheers
Steve

A week or so back two or three of you got fisheyes, any reports back? How are you getting on with them? Any pics to show?

I posted a few days ago, the availability of a low cost battery for the G1 from 7DayShop. It arrived this morning. Charger out . . . plug in, no green light? It is advertised as 'working with all firm ware upgrades':thinking:

I tried it in the camera, that was OK, back onto the charger, now charging OK . . . No instructions came with it, however, I wonder if an initiation cycle was required from the camera:shrug:

As I say, now charging as normal, anyone come across this before?

CJS

I posted a few days ago, the availability of a low cost battery for the G1 from 7DayShop. It arrived this morning. Charger out . . . plug in, no green light? It is advertised as 'working with all firm ware upgrades':thinking:

I tried it in the camera, that was OK, back onto the charger, now charging OK . . . No instructions came with it, however, I wonder if an initiation cycle was required from the camera:shrug:

As I say, now charging as normal, anyone come across this before?

CJS

I'm interested to see how it goes as I need one for my gh1 as well :p

Back