"Panasonic G series" Owners Thread

A few more mountain piccies from this week's escapades with the GF1 then :D

5100877002_292112f155_o.jpg

5100280519_81a6e71200_o.jpg

5107238628_379c0bf54b_o.jpg

5107238226_4c885afd28_o.jpg

A lovely set of pictures Julian. Cnicht is next on our list. The GF1 certainly performed well with a good operator.:clap:

Cheers - yup all 20mm I think

Did a panorama too using the 45-200mm

5112211758_6d099b365f_b.jpg

Oh and btw - I can also recommend Canon FD lenses. The 50mm 1.4 is really nice, I picked one up for £50, and the 50mm 3.5 is great for Macro.

Here's one from last night with the 50mm 1.4

5112213060_f582a1821c_b.jpg

Some lovely photos you've put on Graham. I really love the one you put on last night. Glad to see you're out and about again.(y)

Some superb images popping up here!!

I managed to get out with my GF1 and 14-45mm so took advantage of the sun. Here are just a few from the afternoons fun.

1: Woman on a bench [B&W]

2: Reigate Priory School

3: Reigate Park pipes

4: Swampy

5: Under water

Just back from Istanbul and it was the first proper outing for my GF1. Loved the camera (and the city) although it takes a bit of getting used to having no viewfinder, especially in bright sunlight. Might need to get the EVF.

I have a love/hate relationship with digital cameras in general but the GF1 excels at certain things like street and grab shots. Feels more like a rangefinder 35mm in that respect. I had a Voigtlander R2 with me too but ended up not using it much.

Hopefully I'll be brave enough to post some pics when I sort them out.

Quote...Still not decided on which DSLR to buy... Quote

With super pics like that mate, Why Bother?

Last edited:
A few pictures from the Cotswolds Wildlife Park (The last one was my favourite subject):

Anyone else submitted photos taken with lumix G bodies to Alamy (or other photo agency)??

I have just submitted 2 taken with the GF1 & G1 and they both passed Alamy quality control on the 1st attempt (y)

If I can get mine accepted, then others on here could easily :clap:

To marky67 and grum - yup, the 45-200mm. Thank you ;) (Though I give credit to the animals for posing, for instance the otters were rather interested in us, I think it was near their feeding time)

To marky67 and grum - yup, the 45-200mm. Thank you ;) (Though I give credit to the animals for posing, for instance the otters were rather interested in us, I think it was near their feeding time)

Nice photos, neenee. Were these hand held or did you use a tripod. Looks a nice lens. Any chance of a photo of the GF1 with the 45-200 lens attached. My birthday money is burning an hole in my pocket.:D

Thanks Barbara, went outside to to take some more got two taken and it started to rain again!

1st on was well out of focus, this one is not 100% sharp but will try again when rain stops.

Nenee, those animal shots are superb. OK the animals were posing but you have the dof just right and they are as sharp as a sharp thing (y)

Like those animal shots.

Are G10 and GH1 owners not welcome here?

I suggested earlier that perhaps we could consider calling this the "Panasonic G series" Owners Thread. This would then cover all the current m4/3 cameras and probably most new models as well.

What do you think hillwalkinggirl, as the OP?

Thank you for the further compliments.

The animal pictures were hand-held with the 45-200mm, I do not have a tripod yet but now and then I am browsing for one, though it does kindof go against the take-the-camera-everywhere-where-I-go idea ;)

hillwalkinggirl - I do not have a second camera to take that picture I'm afraid, but google images has some results which show it attached if that's of any help:

http://www.google.nl/images?hl=en&q...=UTF-8&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&biw=1617&bih=965

I suggested earlier that perhaps we could consider calling this the "Panasonic G series" Owners Thread. This would then cover all the current m4/3 cameras and probably most new models as well.

What do you think hillwalkinggirl, as the OP?

Very good suggestion - title changed again. Welcome to all G series owners(y)

Thank you for the further compliments.

The animal pictures were hand-held with the 45-200mm, I do not have a tripod yet but now and then I am browsing for one, though it does kindof go against the take-the-camera-everywhere-where-I-go idea ;)

hillwalkinggirl - I do not have a second camera to take that picture I'm afraid, but google images has some results which show it attached if that's of any help:

http://www.google.nl/images?hl=en&q...=UTF-8&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&biw=1617&bih=965

Thank you for the link neenee. The lens does look a little big as this is my local walks carry round camera, and I'm not sure how much use I would get out of this lens, but I must say the clarity of your photos is tempting me. Have you considered using a monopod? I find I take this with me sometimes, but I just can't manage to lug my tripod around so it stays at home, and also I find I feel really self conscious setting up my tripod, as you can't then take candid photos very easily.

My pleasure. I have thought of a monopod, but thought it would take about as much room as a tripod. And with good light I don't really need one, so... I think I'll just keep looking for now - thanks for the advice though ;)

Looks a good thread title now and and should produce lots of help and advice for us all with a G series, and some nice pictures.......
What might be good idea, tell us what lens etc is being used.

Is this like, change the thread title a day just to keep us on our toes to see if we can find it?!

Cheers for the comments.

Some great pics on this thread :clap:

Anyone else submitted photos taken with lumix G bodies to Alamy??

Yup, my last 7 uploads have consisted of 59 images all taken on my GF1 and 14-45mm. No QC issues at all. Nor should there be - there's no reason why any G series camera shouldn't produce images of sufficient quality.

Just looking through the stats - my last upload with images taken on my SLR was back in July!! Wonder if I should sell it :thinking: :LOL:

Cheers for the comments.

Some great pics on this thread :clap:

Yup, my last 7 uploads have consisted of 59 images all taken on my GF1 and 14-45mm. No QC issues at all. Nor should there be - there's no reason why any G series camera shouldn't produce images of sufficient quality.

Just looking through the stats - my last upload with images taken on my SLR was back in July!! Wonder if I should sell it :thinking: :LOL:

Just wondering what this Alamy is all about. Does anyone manage to make any money from it?

Just wondering what this Alamy is all about. Does anyone manage to make any money from it?

This is my thinking too, does any one sell anything to make the effort worth while. I know of one person on Alamy, he has sold a couple over the past 12 months I think????

I suppose its all about, a salable subject and the more images you have on view the better the number of sales are?

CJS

This is my thinking too, does any one sell anything to make the effort worth while. I know of one person on Alamy, he has sold a couple over the past 12 months I think????

I suppose its all about, a salable subject and the more images you have on view the better the number of sales are?

CJS

From what I've read over the last few days I'm beginning to think it isn't worth the hassle and certainly isn't going to pay off my mortgage :thumbsdown:

From what I've read over the last few days I'm beginning to think it isn't worth the hassle and certainly isn't going to pay off my mortgage :thumbsdown:

Yes Alan, thats certainly the feeling I have . . . ? All a bit hit and miss me thinks:thinking: Unless of course . . . there is some one out there who really can dot the 'I's and cross the T's' of experience . . . :shrug:

CJS

For those of you that have had a few cameras, how do you feel the mft camera's compare to mid level Canon/Nikons? Ive considered a 550D, but comparing image quality, admitedly only screen images, I can't really see them as any better that what can be achieved with a mft.
I would be interested to know how a proper dslr is supposed to be better.

Main difference is the speed of AF I reckon. It's pretty difficult to do things like tracking birds in flight with MFT in my experience. Some DSLRs have significantly better high ISO performance, though the new GH2 looks pretty good in that respect. Also there are more lens options for DSLRs.

Re Alamy - I suspect you need LOADS of stuff on there to make it worthwhile.

For those of you that have had a few cameras, how do you feel the mft camera's compare to mid level Canon/Nikons? Ive considered a 550D, but comparing image quality, admitedly only screen images, I can't really see them as any better that what can be achieved with a mft.

I'd agree with Graham that AF speed is a huge difference, I do a lot of bird photography and think that the mft would struggle to AF fast enough in many situations. The lens raneg is also an issue, sure you can use a whole raft of old MF lenses on the mft cameras but the range of AF lenses is very limited. Contol of DOF can also be an issue as the small sensor is slightly limiting compared to a full frame dslr. Much as I enjoy using the mft system and especially the G1 I would not want to be with out my Canon gear.

I'm in the MFT - DSLR boat. I use the G1 a lot . . . :thinking: re phrase, the G1, 14-45mm is in my 'man bag' permanently, so in theory, I dont loose a shot . . . ideology;) I miss loads, but work has to come first :bonk:

I often get the feeling, why keep my DSLR . . . Then I come down to earth, as good as the G1 is, it still cant compere with the Nikon, all be it, a lowly D5000 in those areas previously mentioned by Grum. I also find the Nikon has a satisfying feel about it that the small, light MFT's just dont have, IMHO

I'm even considering upgrading the 5000 to a 90 . . . purely on handling and feel??? . . . Further thought, the new D7000 is soon to hit the stores. I have never had this 'desire' feeling over cameras before . . . :naughty:

CJS

Back