"Panasonic G series" Owners Thread

Good to see you say that - exactly what I am planning, for the same reason :)

Can't make up my mind whether to go for the GF1 or wait for the GF2 though at the moment...

Don't think I'll be upgrading to the GF2, I am perfectly happy with my GF1, having said that time will tell , see what others say about the GF2 first !;)

GF2 reviews are starting to appear on you tube and generally around the net and in magazines. I doubt I'll be buying one as i prefer the Gf1 for size, looks and having the dial on the top. The GF2's touch screen looks like a whole load of trouble and looks easy to accidentally take shots just by touching the screen.

Don't think I'll be upgrading to the GF2, I am perfectly happy with my GF1, having said that time will tell , see what others say about the GF2 first !;)

I've also been thinking that the GF2 will be more expensive (maybe the GF1 will come down slightly) and I prefer the look of the 14-45 rather than the 14-42 that the GF2 comes with. I expect you will be able to buy body only in time but it usually works out cheaper to buy it as a kit.

Think I am talking myself into a GF1 and 20mm, and maybe a 14-45 :)

Perfect combination. The 14-45 is brilliant in good light ad the 20mm is a legend!

I've also been thinking that the GF2 will be more expensive (maybe the GF1 will come down slightly) and I prefer the look of the 14-45 rather than the 14-42 that the GF2 comes with. I expect you will be able to buy body only in time but it usually works out cheaper to buy it as a kit.

Keep talking you won't be sorry(y)

anyone have any experience of this? any feedback one way or the other? I'm weighing up EP-1 vs GF1 and like the in body IS on the olympus as a way of keeping lenses smaller (fed up with lugging bulky 40D + lenses around all the time...)

i like the idea of the olympus 14-42/45 lens as a smaller way of getting that focal range (the panasonic 20mm 1.7 is a given right? (y) )

cheers
Tim

anyone have any experience of this? any feedback one way or the other? I'm weighing up EP-1 vs GF1 and like the in body IS on the olympus as a way of keeping lenses smaller (fed up with lugging bulky 40D + lenses around all the time...)

i like the idea of the olympus 14-42/45 lens as a smaller way of getting that focal range (the panasonic 20mm 1.7 is a given right? (y) )

cheers
Tim
If you do get the Oly then get the Panasonic 14-45mm lens not the Oly or Panasonic 14-42mm. The 14-45 got 93% in one of the mags which is just about the most i have seen and beating the 20mm f1.7 which only got 89% in test.

Good to see you say that - exactly what I am planning, for the same reason :)

Can't make up my mind whether to go for the GF1 or wait for the GF2 though at the moment...

I bought the GF1 because it has the traditional dial on the top. I also have a Panasonic camera with touch screen, and I really don't like the touch screen very much. It's really fiddly to change settings on. Changing aperture is a pain as you have to slide the on screen setting with your finger or little plastic thing and it's quite difficult to get it to stop at the right place. Much easier in the GF1.

Hi guys,

Sorry for being lazy. Do the last 1-2 offerings from the 'G' series have an electronic viewfinder or a 'regular' one? I hope that makes sense.

These 'G' cameras look absolutely sweet. If they do use an electronic viewfinder, honestly how are you finding it?

Electronic. The G1 and G2 are very hi res and in my experience are better than OVFs found in entry level DSLRs. They aren't as good as the OVF in my T90 so I'd assume that the OVF in more expensive DSLRs would be better though. Best to try one out really.

Make your own. Print out the photo on photo paper, 1 Sheet of A4 card, fold in half, stick photo on. This makes front and back. Take 1 sheet of paper, print greeting on half of it. Fold in half, stick inside of cardboard outer. Sorted.(y)

Kind of ran out of time this year - but great idea thanks (y) I can;t make my own totally as I don't have a photo printer but I am set up for online printing :)

Cheers folks.

Richard I mostly use the Canon FD 50mm 3.5.

4897779086_707884992f_b.jpg

The Raynox DCR250 works pretty well too.

I've been looking at some macro lenses for the past few days - you do well with that 50mm, nice work
Does the raynox just go on the 14-45mm?

Kind of ran out of time this year - but great idea thanks (y) I can;t make my own totally as I don't have a photo printer but I am set up for online printing :)

I've been looking at some macro lenses for the past few days - you do well with that 50mm, nice work
Does the raynox just go on the 14-45mm?

Yes it just screws straight on. You would need an adaptor though if using the 20mm. It works quite well, but you need good light or a tripod as it throws shadow of the lens if you use flash.

Cheers Richard. Yup the Raynox just clips on. I seem to remember at wider settings you get the outline of the Raynox in the corners. I mostly use an external flash on a cable to get it off the camera for macro stuff.

Another from the weekend - single RAW file 'faux HDR' tonemapped in Photomatix.

5241233922_9f13dddf31_z.jpg

Yes it just screws straight on. You would need an adaptor though if using the 20mm. It works quite well, but you need good light or a tripod as it throws shadow of the lens if you use flash.

Just rechecked mine and realise that I am using a 52mm-43mm step down ring screwed on to my Raynox which stops the problem of the adaptor showing on wide angles. Grum is correct if using the supplied clip on adaptor you get the shadow of the adaptor.

That's a clever tip to use a step ring, never thought of that.

Well! I have just purchased an SLR - got a couple of freelance paid gigs hopefully coming up soon which is my excuse. Have no intentions of getting rid of my M4/3 stuff though.

I got:

5D MK I
70-200 2.8
17-40L
Sigma 50mm 1.4

Just need a couple of flashguns now (and loads of bloody filters cos all mine are too small :x )

That's a clever tip to use a step ring, never thought of that.

Well! I have just purchased an SLR - got a couple of freelance paid gigs hopefully coming up soon which is my excuse. Have no intentions of getting rid of my M4/3 stuff though.

I got:

5D MK I
70-200 2.8
17-40L
Sigma 50mm 1.4

Just need a couple of flashguns now (and loads of bloody filters cos all mine are too small :x )

And a bloody great bag to carry it all in :LOL:(y)

That Siggy is great isn't it? Mine has been on my 20D for weeks.

And a bloody great bag to carry it all in :LOL:(y)

Just ordered a redsnapper verso ;)

That Siggy is great isn't it? Mine has been on my 20D for weeks.

Not got it yet, just ordered online. It looks great apart from some people seem to have had focus issues. The sharpness wide open looks similar to the 20mm 1.7 (thought I'd better try and keep it slightly relevant to the thread) :)

I take all the reported Siggy issues with a very large pinch of salt, I've seen people with poor technique blame a f1.4 lens first hand.

I wouldn't expect razor sharpness at f1.4 though, I think that the 30mm f1.4 is sharper wide open but it does soon sharpen up and from what I've read it is better than the Canon equivalent at f1.4.

I recently checked my Siggy against my Canon 50mm f2.5 which I had considered to be my sharpest lens but the Siggy at least matched it and possible bettered it for both sharpness and focus accuracy.

Good luck with it.

And in keeping with the thread... will you be using it on MFT?

Just thought I'd chirp up as I am a very happy GH1 owner, alhough I have picked the wrong time of year to upgrade as there seems to be decidely little worth photgraphing round here of late, unless you like drizzle that is.

However heres a couple of low res images from my gallery over on fourthirds-user:

glasfryn_plas_302mcs43.jpg

gwynplas_hdr12mcs43.jpg

Nantlle_025es43.jpg

All were taken with an m.Zuiko 14-42mm, what can Isay, I needed a lens in a hurry!

Hello and welcome Alan.

The forum needs more MFT owners and yet more Alans.

I know what you mean about the time of year and weather (but you seem to have found something to shoot) as with all the snow I've hardly been out recently.

Hi Alan and welcome. Nice pics - I like the second one, whereabouts is that?

Other Alan - I don't plan to use the Sigma on M4/3 but you never know. Would be quite funny to stick the 70-200 2.8 on it :)

I do love my GF1, it's a great little camera and I used it to take this shot. Fact is though that we've not been out in a while and the spark has gone. I'm normally clever enough (just) to know that new toys are not the answer to finding a lost spark. However, I've been missing my LX2 since the day I was stupid enough to sell it on and now it has a successor. :love:

They are very nice those LX5's. I wish i had bought one rather than the s95 but only because it would go with my GF1. The s95 is still a stunner!

If I wasn't such such a panasonic fanboy I probably would have got the S95. It's smaller, has that fab ring on the lens and I don't think you lose any IQ for the smaller size.

It was a tough choice but the LX is just small enough and I do like the way it handles. At the end of the day, any camera that makes you want to pick it up and make images is the right one.

Graham, that stinks.

By my count that should be your three of bad luck with the GF. All up from here chap. (y)

If I wasn't such such a panasonic fanboy I probably would have got the S95. It's smaller, has that fab ring on the lens and I don't think you lose any IQ for the smaller size.

It was a tough choice but the LX is just small enough and I do like the way it handles. At the end of the day, any camera that makes you want to pick it up and make images is the right one.

I am always amazed at how good the images are from the CCD sensors in these cameras. In a lot of cases there's no difference from them to a DSLR!

I've dropped my GF1 and the adjustment wheel has gone all notchy - I'm such a numpty :(

Oh noooooooooooooooooooooo That's not good but at least you have it again now :) Apart from a notchy adjustment wheel is it OK?

I think luck is a part of it but it's also just me being careless/all over the place at the moment. :(. I'd like to think it's at least partly the law of averages because I am using the camera all the time too. 23,000 pics taken this year mostly with the GF1 (and some with the G1).

I do at least have insurance but I dunno if the excess will make it worth using. Andy it's ok apart from the wheel just feels annoying to use now - I'm going to see if I can get it fixed I think.

Will have to be more careful with all my new mega expensive SLR stuff. :bang:

What a thing to happen Graham
Accidents like this do happen mate, at least it is still working.
Trust the lens was not on at the time.

There is one think that used to bug me on my LX3 and still bugs me on the GF1

If I use the function that moves the AF point around the screen - is there a way to easily reset it back to centre? It's very annoying having to manually centre it again - I would like a button or setting that resets it for me!

Richard, this bugs me sooooo much too. As I'm anal about such things I select the guidline thingy that looks like a Union Jack and use it to get the focus point back in the exact middle.

That's a little scary there Alan. ;)

However those nice chaps at Panasonic obviously don't disagree and have sorted this on the LX5. On tap on the focus button brings up the af point and one tap on the display button centres it.

Would be nice if they released a firmware update to enable that function on the GF1 - not likely though.

There is one think that used to bug me on my LX3 and still bugs me on the GF1

If I use the function that moves the AF point around the screen - is there a way to easily reset it back to centre? It's very annoying having to manually centre it again - I would like a button or setting that resets it for me!

Richard, On the Lx3 just press the display button to reset, On the Gf1 just press the Delete/preview button @ bottom right

Toonie

Richard, On the Lx3 just press the display button to reset, On the Gf1 just press the Delete/preview button @ bottom right

Toonie

How did I miss than one?! :wacky:

THANK YOU!!!
(y)

Bought my GF-1 last month, there is a offer on just now if buying between October and January 2011 there is a free photography pack including Photoshop Elements 9. Anyone bought their GF1 in this period and received their Elements 9 yet ?

Sent my form incl' copy of receipt 4 weeks ago and not heard anything since.

Back