"Panasonic G series" Owners Thread

Graham,
Some very nice images there..!

Apart from mountain biking, snowboarding is one of my most enjoyable sports (untill you crash)..lol

Nice one.

Ah ok thanks, I missed that somehow.

Thought people may be interested to hear - I posted some pics for critique in the landscape section. The one most people seem to like best was taken with the GF1 and 45-200, whereas the others were taken with a full frame 5D and some 'L' glass. ;)

When I first had the realisation moment that just about all my non work shooting can be done just as well on an LX2 as a MF camera with a digi back, I was surprised to say the least. It makes perfect sense to me now that you do just as well with you GF and it's lowest IQ lens as with FF and L glass.

I recently had some cavasses made up where some were from my LX2 and one was from a 1 series full frame canon. I didn't even stop to think that the sensor from the panny was too small for such big prints and I very much doubt anyone could tell which are which from looking at them on the wall.

This has become quite a golden age for us snappers. One where we can have the freedom to make images with outstanding IQ from such small and light equipment.

......... And the shots were beautiful, as always. :)

I've been out on the streets with my G1 + 20mm a lot recently.....just not sure what to do next....

I'm considering a GH2, as I've heard the AF speed is significantly improved, along with ISO performance?

Also the 14mm f2.5....the 20mmx2 feels a bit long on the tight streets....

or do I just get a GF2 kit....

or I'm also quite tempted to get a fairly long (100mm+), fast prime, plus adapter....to get those night shots that really kick the background lights into baubles.

I've not used the G1 so I'm not sure how AF speed compares, I've recently upgraded from a GH1 to GH2 and wouldn't know the AF speed has improved. The GH1 always seemed pretty fast but not so great at tracking, the GH2 doesn't seem to improve the latter much but I've only been shooting the camera a few days so it may be better than it seems. I am a little on the fence with the GH2 as there's nothing in particular which stands out as being a particular upgrade but at the same time Panasonic seem to have upgraded just about everything in the camera at least a little bit. I've not seen it mentioned elsewhere but the shutter lag feels reduced to me, after focus and squeezing the shutter the response seems quicker which is definitely appreciated as the GH1 felt a bit sluggish to me. The new battery has alread caught me out though as I left it in the charger at home, normally I'd just swap in the GF1 battery but not with the GH2.

I think the 14mm is an excellent lens for the GF1 simply because it means you can carry the GF1 in a pocket with the 20 or 14mm with the other pancake lens in another making it a much more pocketable system. I never liked taking the GF1 and 20mm on its own as it gave no flexibility but now with both lenses it' mostly taken the place of my LX3.

John

I think it's a good value lens, £ for £ you get quite a lot for your money. I barely use mine to be honest, but Ive never found fault in it when I have.

Thanks for taking the time to respond Danny, it's much appreciated.

A pity no others could take a minute of their time to cast their opinion of the lens...but hey what the heck, that's TP for you, no wonder theres dissention among the TP members. I'll just try another Panny forum elsewhere for my answers.

A pity no others could take a minute of their time to cast their opinion of the lens...

Maybe not many people have the lens or havent used it enough to express an opinion? Its only been two days since you asked!
I have the lens ( from before Christmas) and have been unable to use it much. What I have found is that its quite small, quite well priced, very quiet and seems well made. I only took a few shots with it. The first few were on a very grey overcast day, trying to focus on a ruined church about 5 miles away over sea and the resuts were not sharp. If I based my opinion on those shots, i would say the lens was no good.
Next, I took a couple of indoor shots with flash at 200mm. They were exceptionally sharp. Based on that experience, I woud say its a superb lens.
But, untill I have used it extensively, I will reserve my judgement, but, as a friendly long time TPer ( as we all are ;)) I woud say that my latest shots are more indicative of how the lens performs. There are plenty of images from and positive comments about this lens if you search the forum.

Remember, its a free to use forum, not a customer service centre. :naughty:

Allan

I've been struggling to hold in and turn the exposure button dial on the front of the G1. I found it much easier on the GF1 with the dial on the rear. However I have just found a custom setting which enables you to hold in the LCD button instead of pressing in the dial, whilst turning it. I hope this might be useful for anyone else having this problem.

A pity no others could take a minute of their time to cast their opinion of the lens...but hey what the heck, that's TP for you, no wonder theres dissention among the TP members. I'll just try another Panny forum elsewhere for my answers.

Have you tried mu-43.com? (I was going to try and find an appropriate thread to send you towards, but it's seems to be down at the time of posting this, it's normally there though! lol)

I think that, as allanm said, you're being a bit quick off the mark and it's probable that most people on here don't have that lens, althought Grum did mention he's got some photo's using that lens in another thread. I've only started actively posting on here for a few days and this thread's been open a few months and, for all it's over 30 pages long, I'm probably right in assuming that there's only a handful or two of users posting.

Looking at the thread for the guy asking about downsizing from his 60D (iirc) to a GF-1 and there's not that many users responding and most centre their responses around the 20mm & 14-45mm kit lenses.

EDIT: and it's back online. http://www.mu-43.com/f80/panasonic-45-200mm-f-4-5-6-image-thread-300/

Last edited:
Great set of photos Graham. Was it a skiing holiday or a walking holiday?

Sorry missed this earlier. It was primarily a skiing holiday (well snowboarding in my case), but I only went snowboarding 4 days out of the eight we were there. Partly due to energy levels and partly because I wanted to take some pictures.

I've been struggling to hold in and turn the exposure button dial on the front of the G1. I found it much easier on the GF1 with the dial on the rear. However I have just found a custom setting which enables you to hold in the LCD button instead of pressing in the dial, whilst turning it. I hope this might be useful for anyone else having this problem.

That's a handy little tip, nice one.

This has become quite a golden age for us snappers. One where we can have the freedom to make images with outstanding IQ from such small and light equipment.

......... And the shots were beautiful, as always. :)

It seems so, although some of us haven't been around long enough to compare it to the olden days :p

Cheers btw :)

Whoa there! I've given my opinion on the 45-200mm numerous times on here (if you look through this and the previous GF1 thread), but seeing as I'm such a nice guy..... ;)

It seems pretty sharp up to about 100mm, past there it's often hit and miss (with my copy and seemingly many others too). You can improve the sharpness by stopping down and using very high shutter speeds but it still seems to end up softish most of the time at longer focal lengths, especially towards 200mm.

The thing is though you are getting an amazing amount of reach (400mm equiv) for the money. The AF isn't very fast so it's no good for moving birds etc. It seems the 100-300 is a better lens but it's a lot more expensive too.

I'm not blown away by it but I would say it's worth having for the money it costs.

Last edited:
Graham .......... :razz: :LOL:

Frank, calm yourself there. I wasn't quicker to let you know what I think of my 45-200 but my thoughts on it are here clealy enough for you to read if you just took a minute to do so.

The bottom line is it's very useful to have and for the money is excellent value. It's not the sharpest glass in the bag though and the GF1 is not the easiest platform to use it on.

I find it amusing when someone makes a post on being a bit disappointed because only one person or none can be bothered to reply to someones post, it's only then that a bandwagon starts rolling and the replies get a reaction. Calm down or be patient etc etc then perhaps a response to the original post.
I did wait three days but it seemed no-one was interested, perhaps a little nudge might push some more to respond...it worked didn't it

Ok perhaps there were posts in this thread about the lens but there were 916 post in this thread stretching back to page 1. Doing a "Search" on 45-200 just comes up with the "Talk Equipment" still 916 post to search through do a search on panasonic 45-200 does just the same, that's one helluva lot of reading but if that's what is required then it shows a lack of willingness to save another forum user trawling from page one to where we are now.
in fact I only found one result outside of this thread and that was by Flash in the Pan and he never got a response either...well not publicly anyway.

I did wait three days but it seemed no-one was interested

Not wanting to be pedantic, but you got your first response in half an hour, at least you didn't get the standard "this had been answered before, search the forums" response that seems to appear in many other forums.
Anyway, glad you got a few answers after your " nudge". Now, are you going to buy one or not?

Allan

Not wanting to be pedantic, but you got your first response in half an hour, at least you didn't get the standard "this had been answered before, search the forums" response that seems to appear in many other forums.
Anyway, glad you got a few answers after your " nudge". Now, are you going to buy one or not?

Allan

Looks like I'm going to have to put it onto the back burner for the time being, my monitor just died on me:-( and I'm using a borrowed horrible little thing about 14" screen to keep me going just now. just ordered a new monitor so hope its here mon or tues.

I find it amusing when someone makes a post on being a bit disappointed because only one person or none can be bothered to reply to someones post, it's only then that a bandwagon starts rolling and the replies get a reaction. Calm down or be patient etc etc then perhaps a response to the original post.
I did wait three days but it seemed no-one was interested, perhaps a little nudge might push some more to respond...it worked didn't it

But you could have done it without being so rude... a polite reminder would have worked just as well.

This is a big thread and questions get missed - or questions with an answer (even if it is only one post answering) get skimmed.

Having a pop at TP in this thread is a little more personal as you are just having a pop at the G series owners really - the very people you want to get help from - hopefully you can see that.

perhaps a little nudge might push some more to respond...it worked didn't it

I doubt any of us mind a nudge, as you say it works. If I have to remind someone of something I've asked I'll try and do it nicely, at least the first time anyway. ;)

Anyway, do you think you'll get one? I'd quite like the 100-300 instead but its lots more cash and at 300 will probably be handful on the GF1

frank said:

Ok perhaps there were posts in this thread about the lens but there were 916 post in this thread stretching back to page 1. Doing a "Search" on 45-200 just comes up with the "Talk Equipment" still 916 post to search through do a search on panasonic 45-200 does just the same, that's one helluva lot of reading but if that's what is required then it shows a lack of willingness to save another forum user trawling from page one to where we are now.
in fact I only found one result outside of this thread and that was by Flash in the Pan and he never got a response either...well not publicly anyway.

A simple 'thank you' would have sufficed.

We seem to be slowing down a bit here, no one using their G's?
Anyway, just thought I'd say I got a request to licence one of my images for a section in an internet tourist guide and iPhone App!
And, of course, it was taken with a GF1 and 14-45 lens.
Brilliant cameras, these!

Allan

I'm still playing with the Olympus 9-18 on the G1, had some doubts at first but i'm starting to like it, just find it a pain to keep winding it out and locking it back in all the time.

p67543607-3.jpg

It's not particularly good or technical, but this was a very impromptu shot of the Millennium Bridge at Newcastle with the 20mm/f1.7 lens. Had been out for a meal on the quayside and thought I'd try a quick shot as I've got a few photo's of the bridge that I've taken on previous cameras, so I'll have a little look through them later if I get a chance.

Camera was resting on top of a wall
20mm, f2.5, 2.5sec, ISO 100.

5365295504_231866c192.jpg

I like it, but it really makes me feel like I need to go out one day/night with the actual intention of taking some shots and spend a bit of time doing it too. I've not really had much opportunity since I got the camera

Last edited:
Danny_Two said:
I'm still playing with the Olympus 9-18 on the G1, had some doubts at first but i'm starting to like it, just find it a pain to keep winding it out and locking it back in all the time.

Is that a aprillia? I had a test ride on a dorsoduro that had a rear end like that. I'm still using my gf1, bit to cold to go out and play at the mo. I've tried a few macro shots with it that are in the macro section.

Been out doing some street shooting at night....but finding myself itching for an upgrade to improve ISO handling and dynamic range. Do I go for a GH2, or wait for the G3....hmmm.

Im after a remote shutter release, never seen one that cheap.
:)

I've bought quite a few things from this company and always found the quality to be good. I did expect that the remote might be a little flimsy but it fact it is made from a good quality plastic, well finished and with flexible connectors to the plugs. It works on GF1 and G1 and I think on the other G series cameras as well. Some of the cheaper ones do not have an hold switch but this one does. It did arrive with the hold switch activated, and silly me, I didn't check so I managed to take about 10 shots of my desktop before I realised what I had done. I've tried it on my GF1 and G1 and it works well on both.

I ordered a remote control on 8th Jan from Hong Kong and it arrived this morning. I've just tried it out and it seems to work very well. I got it from here http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290487790100&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT for £6.98 inc carriage. It looks well made and quite sturdy. Pleased with it so far.

I've ordered one at that price can't go wrong !

(y)Barbara

Arrived this morning, now that is good delivery from Hong Kong, will try it out later
after District Nurse has been to sort out my partner.

Last edited:
I've got a remote coming from the states for £3.98 including postage. Not sure on the quality but I will let you know when it turns up. I ordered it last week so hoping it turns up this week. It has a 3ft lead with the lock function for long exposure.

Danny_Two said:
I had the 690 Duke before this one, thought it was a bit soft.
:D

Maybe it's me that's to soft after having my drz400 for a few years.

I've got a remote coming from the states for £3.98 including postage. Not sure on the quality but I will let you know when it turns up. I ordered it last week so hoping it turns up this week. It has a 3ft lead with the lock function for long exposure.

I looked at that and I would say that they are identical, but I didn't have the patience to wait from the states and I had bought of this seller before. Hope it comes quickly and it's OK

Last edited:
Their very impressive Glen was the lens attached to G1 or GF-1 ?

I take it you were standing on the Kirkliston side of the fence (north side) when you took these shots.

Back