"Panasonic G series" Owners Thread

Hi,

Has anyone used the Olympus 9-18mm m4/3 lens on a panasonic?

I have a Panasonic G2 and I'm looking for a lens that has similar field on view as my Tamron 17-35mm on a FF Nikon, for when I want to travel light.

I know the Panasonic 7-14mm seems to be highly regarded, but I don't really want to spend in excess of £1k on a lens for my second system, also I like the idea of the Oly as it seems much smaller, and also takes regular filters, I plan on using it with ND filters sometimes, for very long exposures.

I'm not too worried about loosing IS, as I'll be using a tripod when the shutter speeds are slow.

Any comments appreciated, also pics taken with the Oly lens on a panasonic camera would be great as well,

Guys what bags/pouches are you keeping your GF1/GF2 in please?

Lookign at the Lowepro Rezo 60. I would like the Apex 60 AW but it does not have a belt loop which would be useful when climbing :(

Hi,

Has anyone used the Olympus 9-18mm m4/3 lens on a panasonic?

I have a Panasonic G2 and I'm looking for a lens that has similar field on view as my Tamron 17-35mm on a FF Nikon, for when I want to travel light.

Any comments appreciated, also pics taken with the Oly lens on a panasonic camera would be great as well,

I've got the 9-18 on my G1, to be honest I don't use it very often, but the image quality is fine, as good as any other mft lens I own.

This photo was one of my first taken with the 9-18, I can't remember any others without going through loads of exif.

p204118255-3.jpg

I've got the 9-18 on my G1, to be honest I don't use it very often, but the image quality is fine, as good as any other mft lens I own.

This photo was one of my first taken with the 9-18, I can't remember any others without going through loads of exif.

p204118255-3.jpg

Thanks for the info, I love that pic

Guys what bags/pouches are you keeping your GF1/GF2 in please?

Lookign at the Lowepro Rezo 60. I would like the Apex 60 AW but it does not have a belt loop which would be useful when climbing :(

I use a Crumpler 5500 but carry alsorts of other stuff as well for work and wondering around town.

I'll have a look at what my GF1 is in later. My G1 is in one of those cheapo Aldi bags.

I'm still amazed at the amount of post capture processing that these shots can take without falling apart.

I exposed this one for the sky...

_1000753-1.jpg

and then lifted the shadows...

_1000753-2.jpg

and it looks pretty natural to me.

Very good post processing don't think i got patience for that so probably would have written the image off as bad lighting just shows what a difference a little tweak makes

No, it wasn't good processing as I haven't got the patience either :) From RAW to JPEG probably took about a minute and that included straightening a wonky horizon. "All" it's had is fill lighting, a boost to the shadows, contrast, saturation and horizon straightening, oh, and a bit of noise reduction.

Normally I'd try to balance the exposure but I deliberately exposed for the sky here just to see how far I could go :) Better results would be possible with more patience and skill than I have :LOL:

No, it wasn't good processing as I haven't got the patience either :) From RAW to JPEG probably took about a minute and that included straightening a wonky horizon. "All" it's had is fill lighting, a boost to the shadows, contrast, saturation and horizon straightening, oh, and a bit of noise reduction.

Normally I'd try to balance the exposure but I deliberately exposed for the sky here just to see how far I could go :) Better results would be possible with more patience and skill than I have :LOL:

More then i'd do so thats good in my books

I've just been reading a preview of the new GF3 and I must say its a bit of a disappointment. :nono:

I think the GF1 is looking a much better camera with every new model in the GF range that's released.

Not only does the GF3 lose the rear click dial, but the flash hot shoe and accessory port has gone, as well as the stereo microphones and to cap it all, a smaller, lower capacity battery.

On the plus side, it has a "miniature" creative filter added ;)

Looks like there will be a bit more of a wait before a real GF1 replacement comes along

Allan

I think that the rumor sites say that a GF1 type camera is coming but that a replacement for the GH2 is the next priority, so not all hope is lost.

One thing that I think about... these small cameras aimed at point and shoot customers are only small when fitted with a prime lens and I wonder how many point and shoot people will want a non zoom? Well, us lot might, but will the general public?

Last edited:
That's exactly the discussion a couple were having when I was in a branch of Jacobs the other day - "If I get that [GF2] with the lens on it, I might as well get the DSLR"

They wanted a 'proper' camera rather than an LX5 or S95 that the salesman had pointed them to, but didn't want the bulk.

I'm not sure that will ever be really do-able. As said, the GF1 is pocketable with the 20 f1.7 but not really with the 14-45mm walkabout type lens unless you have pretty big pockets!

It gets to a point where peeps want EVERYTHING which turns out almost impossible ie, it's like wanting a mini but wanting to fit 7 people inside ( and yes, I know we all did that back in the day!!! ) :D

ie, it's like wanting a mini but wanting to fit 7 people inside ( and yes, I know we all did that back in the day!!! ) :D

Dont forget the 7 in the back and 3 in the boot!

Allan

That's exactly the discussion a couple were having when I was in a branch of Jacobs the other day - "If I get that [GF2] with the lens on it, I might as well get the DSLR"

They wanted a 'proper' camera rather than an LX5 or S95 that the salesman had pointed them to, but didn't want the bulk.

For me the ideal is a GF1 type camera with a prime lens to replace the quality 35mm compacts that I/we had years ago. They normally had a wide aperture fixed lens something between 35 and 50mm so a GF1+20mm does it for me although the Fuji x100 with it's built in viewfinder seems to me to be a more direct replacement.

With a zoom lens I like the SLR/Panasonic G1 type layout but there's still room in my life for a smallish camera with a fixed length lens with a wide aperture.

Actually, years ago even if we had a camera that it was possible to swap lenses on many of us only had the one lens, probably something between 35 and 50mm with a wide aperture.

PS. My first car was a Mini and I did the how many people can I cram in thing... seems totally irresponsible now!

Yes they do have a belt loop but personally I would find it very uncomfortable when climbing as the bag is quite large.

I may go for the 60AW then and strap it to my pack :)

Must admit that I never use belt clips either.

I also have a 60 AW but please note that although a GF1+20mm f1.7 (if that's what you have?) will fit it's a very very tight fit, so much so that I decided that it doesn't fit. I use mine for my LX5.

Here's a size comparison, 60 and 100...

IMG_4450c.jpg

The 100 is bigger but not too much bigger for it to be an issue for me.

Last edited:
Must admit that I never use belt clips either.

I also have a 60 AW but please note that although a GF1+20mm f1.7 (if that's what you have?) will fit it's a very very tight fit, so much so that I decided that it doesn't fit. I use mine for my LX5.

Here's a size comparison, 60 and 100...

IMG_4450c.jpg

The 100 is bigger but not too much bigger for it to be an issue for me.

Although I notice that Lowepro recommend the Apex 60AW to fit the GF1 "with plenty of room for other things" I reckon the other thing could only be an SD card.:thinking:

Fit wise the 60 is a very close call but IMVHO doing up the zip seems to strain the bag and therefore leads me to decide that it doesn't fit as I'd expect "fit" too :shake::)

What was the name of the wrist strap people recommended for the GF1 again and where is the best/cheapest place to buy?

Cheers

Back in the land of the dSLR, but no way could i get rid of the GF1, its just so useful.
Summer(ha ha) is here so that means more infra-red which the GF1 is so good at. May even look to getting a 950nm filter. See what that is like.

Having fun now with a Fuji S5 Pro, lots of dynamic range and some serious reading to do regards setting it up.

Just because I could...

Shots with my G1+14-42mm and 20D+50mm f1.4 (Sigma.) Here they are...

B1h.jpg

B2h.jpg

These are severe crops. I started at 100% and fiddled until they looked about the same...

B1.jpg

B2.jpg

These have been mangled a lot by photobucket and on my screen I can read the writing on the sign but I hope that you can see that the 20D+50mm is the better shot. It has more punch and is sharper with more detail. It's not a bad showng from the 14-42mm but I do think that it's a rather ordinary lens in some ways, very good in others like a total lack of fringing.

I do wish that there was a good range of quality wide aperture lenses specifically designed for MFT. I'm not interested in a Siggy full frame lens with a MFT mount welded to it.

Yes, having been playing mostly with decent Canon FD lenses on my G2, I'm usually underwhelmed by the results I obtain from the 14-42 on the same body.

You're right about its excellent control of CA and fringing, though.

Looks like Pentax just announced the camera they were really looking for

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/PENTAXQ/PENTAXQA.HTM

it's kinda cute, like an old-skool Pentax Auto 110

Yes, having been playing mostly with decent Canon FD lenses on my G2, I'm usually underwhelmed by the results I obtain from the 14-42 on the same body.

You're right about its excellent control of CA and fringing, though.

Yup. I was hoping that MFT would inspire me a bit more and maybe replace my big and far too heavy DSLR but the auto focus dedicated MFT lens choice seems to be less than inspiring with too many ho-hum slow zooms... although lens markings would be a massive help... but the efford seems to be going into ever smaller bodies and I wonder if MFT is going anywhere near where I'd like it to.

Yup. I was hoping that MFT would inspire me a bit more and maybe replace my big and far too heavy DSLR but the auto focus dedicated MFT lens choice seems to be less than inspiring with too many ho-hum slow zooms... although lens markings would be a massive help... but the efford seems to be going into ever smaller bodies and I wonder if MFT is going anywhere near where I'd like it to.

I agree. M4T seems to be losing their way, unable to decide whether to go for full prosumer systems or high end detachable lens compacts.

Used to be the GH was top boy with the GF as the big compact, and the G sitting in between, but now the lines seem to be too blurred with the three lines sort of blending into each other.

Used to be the GH was top boy with the GF as the big compact, and the G sitting in between, but now the lines seem to be too blurred with the three lines sort of blending into each other.

How exactly? the GH2 is still top of the tree, all the Gs fall below it and the GFs at the bottom. NO current m4/3 camera outperforms the GH series.

The as yet awaited Pens might though, but then Panasonic is supposedly working on the next GH so it'll all change at the end of the year again (assuming it changes at all).

GH1 + loads of manual lenses suits me fine. I don't actually recall when I last used AF.

I like auto focus although the ideal for me is auto focus with full time manual adjustment.

All these new bodies are quite impressive but the lenses make me wish they'd do something different.

A 14-42mm f2.8 and a few fast primes and all with lens markings and I just might be packing my DSLR away.

Last edited:
I like auto focus although the ideal for me is auto focus with full time manual adjustment.

All these new bodies are quite impressive but the lenses make me wish they'd do something different.

A 14-42mm f2.8 and a few fast primes and all with lens markings and I just might be packing my DSLR away.

I'm sure I mentioned this before, but you are going to have to look further afield than Panasonic for these lenses, they are available though from other makers, maybe not exactly 14-42, but close, usually in 4/3rds fitting so you will need an adapter too. Olympus do a ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 14-35mm F2.0 SWD and Sigma, an 18-50mm f2.8 EX DC Macro Lens.

You just need to go and buy one! :naughty:

Allan

GH1 + loads of manual lenses suits me fine. I don't actually recall when I last used AF.

Similar story here. I'm having too much fun with my FD glass on my G2.

I may be tempted by a couple of native primes in due course - Panny 20mm and 14mm spring to mind and if I ever have the money, the Voigtlander 25mm f/0.95.

If Olympus turn out an m4/3 body with a good controls, built in EVF and IS, I'll be seriously tempted, but I could say the same about Sony and their NEX system.

I'm not interested in buying either a full frame or APS-C lens with a MFT mount stuck on it. Part of the reason for MFT was that it's smaller and lighter and sticking a big lens on would spoil it for me. I'd much rather have a lens that was designed from the outset to be a MFT.

Good luck to the people who want to go down either the manual or BIG lens with a little mount route though.

Unless someone brings something out that grabs me it looks like MFT will just have to be the system I take when I don't want to take my DSLR instead of replacing my DSLR, which I had hoped that it could. I like gear, but Canon don't make anything that I want to buy and I've now come to realise that the likelihood that Panasonic will is getting remote.

I've just got my new flashgun and figured out how it works on camera with GF1 and G1, but now I am trying to figure out how it works on slave mode.
I've got it to fire, setting camera to forced flash on and flash syncro 1st, and activating the on board flash to use as a trigger. On the flashgun Ive set it to mode S1. Now what I want to know is this all I need to do? Will it be automatically detecting flash power etc or will I need to use the guide tables to set the power level.

I don't know much about flash I'm afraid, apart from using automatic TTL so any help would be very much appreciated please.

Back