"Panasonic G series" Owners Thread

Haven't posted for a while, but we went up to Tamworth at the weekend. In between dull and windy, i spotted this roofline. I like roofs!

6235783970_15581d09ac_b.jpg

G2 with 14-45

Allan

Got this e-mail from Panasonic today:

"To celebrate the arrival of the new ultra compact electronic power zoom Lumix G X lenses; we're offering Lumix Lifestyle members an exclusive discount on the LUMIX G X H-PS45175 tele-zoom lens. (Offer ends: 17/10/11.)

The new LUMIX G X H-PS45175 tele-zoom lens has a versatile focal range from 45mm to 175mm (35 mm equivalent: 90-350 mm). It features notably high contrast and resolution for images shot at its wider-end, which makes it great for taking portrait shots.

Normal Price - £399.99
Exclusive Lumix Lifestyle members price - £279.99"

very limited time offer, just a heads-up to potential purchasers

"To celebrate the arrival of the new ultra compact electronic power zoom Lumix G X lenses; we're offering Lumix Lifestyle members an exclusive discount on the LUMIX G X H-PS45175 tele-zoom lens. (Offer ends: 17/10/11.)

The new LUMIX G X H-PS45175 tele-zoom lens has a versatile focal range from 45mm to 175mm (35 mm equivalent: 90-350 mm). It features notably high contrast and resolution for images shot at its wider-end, which makes it great for taking portrait shots.

Normal Price - £399.99

Just had a look as it sounded interesting. It appears that they haven't got their web shop in order though as no one can manage to order it on line. Shame on them!

I went with the GF3 over the GF2 (changing from a GF1) as I wanted to get the size down as much as possible. I don't find it uncomfortable in the hand and I never used the accessory port or hotshoe on the GF1 so I don't miss that either but still haven't found a suitable case for it.

That's exactly my thinking. From what I can see it has extra processing power and is just that extra bit smaller to help it fit in my pocket.

I also most bought one last night but I'm still not 100% sure between this setup or an x100.

I've been looking back at some of my GF1 + 20mm prints and they are so sharp it's unbelievable.

I REALLY want my GF1+20mm combo back :crying:

From what I can tell the only things you lose are the accessory port and hotshoe with the GF3, for me these aren't an issue really. If I can get GF1 IQ in a smaller body with improved AF then that's far more useful.

Do you need the accessory port or hotshoe?

Isn't GF3 a touch screen....the GF1 is not.

It is.

Again that doesn't bother me too much if it's the only way to get it into my coat or pants pocket.

Anyone here own the GF3, and can share your experiences with the touchscreen?

It is.

Again that doesn't bother me too much if it's the only way to get it into my coat or pants pocket.

I guess the touchscreen on the GF3 will be similar to that of the GF2 - if so you'll get on fine with it. It's nice and responsive and the menu system make it very easy to access all the controls you need in a hurry.

It is.

I don't find the touch screen an issue at all, it's well laid out and simple to use plus you've still got the main controls on the back as well as the control wheel. My main use of the mode dial was to switch to the iA mode as at times I'd be after a very quick shot so rather than change all my settings it was quicker to the let the GF1 choose them by flicking it to iA. On the GF3 this is actually simpler as you just press the iA button on the top to switch to it and press it again to put the camera back to the previous mode.

The only issue I'm having with the GF3 is the sensor output seems soft in JPEG mode compared to the GF1 and other G series cameras although that may be fixable with settings. I got a good deal on my GF3 as Mathers were selling a red one for just over £230 (they aren't now) and I'm happy with it.

John

postcardcv said:
I guess the touchscreen on the GF3 will be similar to that of the GF2 - if so you'll get on fine with it. It's nice and responsive and the menu system make it very easy to access all the controls you need in a hurry.
Agree with this, only point to note is that its a resisitive screen, so it may seem a little undersensitive if you're used to capacitive screens on modern smartphones. Other than that I don't find it an hindrance at all, touch focussing is actually very useful, especially if you use single area focussing :)

Touch shutter is a waste of time tho, but it can be turned off thankfully.

My G1 arrived this morning and I am over the moon with it. Glenn I believe it was yours originally :)

I look forward to getting to know the camera here and getting to know you all as well :)

I REALLY want my GF1+20mm combo back :crying:

:D I knew that would happen....it's happened to me. I now have the G3 which is very much like a GF1 but with articulating screen and brilliant EVF plus the IQ is better!!(y)

Agree with this, only point to note is that its a resisitive screen, so it may seem a little undersensitive if you're used to capacitive screens on modern smartphones. Other than that I don't find it an hindrance at all, touch focussing is actually very useful, especially if you use single area focussing :)

Touch shutter is a waste of time tho, but it can be turned off thankfully.

I forgot to mention touch focussing which is surprisingly handy, just touch the part of the screen you want to focus on or if in MF it automatically enlarges that section.

John

Normal Price - £399.99

I don't get this Why would you have the 45 - 200 and then a 45 -175 do you think this would be better then the 45-200

I was saving for the 20mm but also need a zoom seems interesting offer

I don't get this Why would you have the 45 - 200 and then a 45 -175 do you think this would be better then the 45-200

I was saving for the 20mm but also need a zoom seems interesting offer

This is apparently classed as a premium quality lens with "variable-speed power zoom for smooth zooming during movie recording and features 'by-wire' dials for direct control of zoom and focus".
It also has an internal zoom mechanism so the lens stays the same length all the time.

I suspect its aimed at the video market more, but the fact that the lens stays the same length while zooming will also attract some people.

Allan

Couple of shots from my G3 + 20mm. Not had any time to really use my G3 since getting the 20mm.

6241667332_cd2f8b2942_z.jpg

6243979711_bb89e7a912_z.jpg

6247463952_1386101eac_z.jpg

Last edited:
Well, after a lot of thought I've taken the plunge. My Panasonic GH2, 14-140mm and 100-300mm lenses should be here by Wednesday :). Chris's motorsport shots swung it for me in the end. I can't wait to have a high quality system that is light enough and inconspicuous enough to go just about anywhere.

Simon.

Congrats Simon, you won't be dissapointed!! I should be getting a 100-300 fairly soon but not sure when. Let's hope for an Indian summer!!!! (No chance! :D)

I went out with mine for an hour till it rained, did not get quite such good results as the pic on here, but I will learn think probably needed to use spot focus....but will try again next week . This is two of them....Comments , gentle please !!

Just got my official Panasonic GF2 ever-ready-style case from SRS (£30 - bargain!), interesting to note that when the lower "half" of the case is on, it gives an even more pronounced grip. Very handy, I was only really after protection :)

Just changed my 14-42 to the 14-45 on my G3. Worthy upgrade IMO!

Does it really make a lot of difference? I'm not convinced at all of the quality of the 14-42? Just cannot get a sharp image consistently :(

Just changed my 14-42 to the 14-45 on my G3. Worthy upgrade IMO!

It sounds like you have a duff 14-42 lens, I have both & can not see any real difference between them using the same settings on both lenses.

Toonie

Mmm im beginning to wonder that myself? Especially seeing some of the images posted on this thread.

Just a few random snapshots from my first few weeks of GF2 ownership... no PP, straight out of the camera, I know they're not technically brilliant etc ;):p

All taken with the 14mm f2.5.

P1000146_Medium_.JPG

P1000493_Medium_.JPG

P1000137_Medium_.JPG

P1000151_Medium_.JPG

P1000164_Medium_.JPG

P1000322_Medium_.JPG

Last edited:
My GH2, 14-140 and 100-300 should arrive today or tomorrow. Can someone let me know or point me in the right direction for the latest firmware on that kit please?

Cheers,

Simon.

Morning all.
Hopefully it's cool to ask pre-purchase questions in this thread. I've been looking at all of your photos and they are amazing.

Anyhows, to the question...

We're having a three week trip to LA, Vegas, monument valley, grand canyon, pacific coast and San Fran early next year and wondered what my ideal lens kit would be. I was thinking that I'd keep the kit lens and get the 20/1.7. Should I also consider the 45-200 or the new 45-175 x lens?

I suspect I'll be shooting wide much of the time, hence the pancake option.

Last edited:
Anyhows, to the question...
I'm downsizing from my 500D as my back can't take it anymore (neither can my wife) and the G3 really takes my fancy.
Now... Could I possible get some advice on lenses?

We're having a three week trip to LA, Vegas, monument valley, grand canyon, pacific coast and San Fran early next year and wondered what my ideal lens kit would be. I was thinking that I'd keep the kit lens and get the 20/1.7. Should I also consider the 45-200 or the new 45-175 x lens?

I suspect I'll be shooting wide much of the time, hence the pancake option.

I went around the world with just my 14-45 and my 20mm, never wanted for anything more, in fact I could of lived without the 20mm.
It's down to your style really, personally I never need long lenses and just sold my 45-200, if you want versatility have a look at the 14-140.

Back