"Panasonic G series" Owners Thread

I am waiting for mine still, but have bought via Amazon a book called "Lightroom3 book for Digital Photographers" by Scott Kelby....not read it yet, think I need the programme installed for it to make sense.
Certainly looks good to me and for about £18 is a good buy.

If you Google Lightroom3 you will find a video by this guy which was interesting.

I purchased this book too, although only read a few pages so far....

Got a G3 with 14-42 and 20mm on the way! Is the 45-200 really as bad as people make out? I want a budget zoom!

Llamaman said:
Yup. Hence managed to get the twin lens kit and a £50 bag for £430. :)
Excellent. For the deal that is, not for Jessops idiocy...

So is the GF2 the ginger step-child of the range then? I don't pick up on much love for it... Mines seems more fun every time I pick it up :)

Hi,
i have now received my 5 year guarantee & copy of lightroom. Could anyone please tell me if is it possible to use lightroom on more than one computer?
Thanks.

Yes markie. It says in their blurb that you may use it on your main computer and one other, for example your laptop, but you mustn't use both copies at the same time. I have installed it on my desktop and my laptop without any problem. I was going to install it on my netbook as well, but after rereading their activation blurb I decided it wasn't worth the risk of putting it on the netbook as well in case it invalidated it on my desktop or laptop.

Got a G3 with 14-42 and 20mm on the way! Is the 45-200 really as bad as people make out? I want a budget zoom!

No it's fine. I don't use mine too much as I prefer wide angle landscape, but the photos which I have taken I have been quite pleased with. It's so much easier carrying this 45-200 compared with a normal 45-200 on a DSLR, and with the crop factor of 2x it gives the equivalent of 400mm at 200. The only problem with it is that it is quite difficult to hold steady.

Hi,
i have now received my 5 year guarantee & copy of lightroom. Could anyone please tell me if is it possible to use lightroom on more than one computer?
Thanks.

Think you can use it on two machines per licence, although there are some conditions, something like using it on a desktop and a laptop or two desktops in two different locations or something.

Is there no one here who's gone from a G1 to a G3 who can comment on any improvement in RAW for noise and how images react to NR?

Thought I should stick my head in this thread and say hello, seeing as I've just drunk a bottle of wine to get my courage up, and ordered...

Panasonic GH2
Panasonic GF1
Panasonic 14-42mm
Panasonic 20mm pancake
Olympus 9-18mm

(will be selling the 14-42 and getting a 14-140 or 14-42x down the road)

So long D200, it's been a blast!

(now opening a bottle of Laphroaig to celebreate :p)

Just a question - where have you found a new GF1 ??

I need to get myself a lens for video as the slow af of the 20mm when it hunts gets annoying.

Any recommendations for something that's not going to break the bank? I'm half tempted to flog the 20 and downgrade to the 14mm pancake or flog it and upgrade to the new olympus 45mm.

Last edited:

I just got this lens yesterday, and then read this. made me think oops, but....
Had a good play with it today and i'm very impressed.....

The result:

P1010689.jpg

I am waiting for mine still, but have bought via Amazon a book called "Lightroom3 book for Digital Photographers" by Scott Kelby....not read it yet, think I need the programme installed for it to make sense.
Certainly looks good to me and for about £18 is a good buy.

That's the book I've had since Christmas and I've been pleased with it so far, even though I've been shooting cameras for a while I've never really got into post-processing. The book details a lot of useful processes as well as giving numerous tips on which settings to use for certain types of shot.

One question I have about Lightroom is that the Nikon raw files offer presets but the Panasonic files do not, are there any presets worth downloading?

John

Well done Fidsey what a lovely picture:clap:, by the way did he eat anything ?!!;)

Great Canvas for posterity

Just ordered myself the 100-300 mm, F4-5.6 O.I.S , the wife will kill me :bonk:

A few more with the 14-42mm kit lens

P1000617.jpg

P1000939.jpg

P1000863.jpg

P1000902.jpg

P1000884111.jpg

Andy, have you done any HDR or photoshopping on those???? They are pin sharp!

Done a little in Lightroom but to be totally honest they didn't need much at all. The flower one at the bottom is a 85% crop!!!! Great camera & Lens combo!

AndyWest said:
Done a little in Lightroom but to be totally honest they didn't need much at all. The flower one at the bottom is a 85% crop!!!! Great camera & Lens combo!

What settings are you using Andy please? I'm struggling to get pin sharp images at the moment- it's a bit hit and miss ! Are you also using a tripod or just handheld ?

What settings are you using Andy please? I'm struggling to get pin sharp images at the moment- it's a bit hit and miss ! Are you also using a tripod or just handheld ?

The settings will be different for each image and different for your image also. What i do do is up the clarity and Vibrance sliders. I also fiddle with the exposure a little. Sometimes i fiddle with the curves also. When i am happy with the image i pop it into Elements and sharpen using Unsharp Mask after the image has been reduced to it's new size of 1024 pixels on the longest side.

The fact that your images may not be sharp could very well be down to the fact that you are getting camera shake. Is the IS turned on? There are techniques to stop camera shake all over the web. All the images above i did hand held. They came out well even in low light partly due to my technique and partly because the 14-45mm is such a good lens.

Anyone got the 14-140? Wouldnt mind a nice walk around lens for Zoo trips etc. Interested to know if the IQ is comparable to the 14-42mm on my G3?

Also, is it a huge heavy beast? Any mounted G3 pics out there?

It is pretty big and heavy compared to the 14-42mm but from what i have read it is sharper.

It is pretty big and heavy compared to the 14-42mm but from what i have read it is sharper.

Its whether to get the 14-140 or the 42-150 and keep the 14-42. Already have the 20mm which is superb! So just looking for an all purpose lens that I can just travel with and have the 20 for IQ and lower light.

Not announced yet, so it's unlikely to be widely available before Christmas.I predict it won't be easily available until Spring 2012 and prices will settle in the summer.
So I've bought a GF2 in the meantime whilst I collect some lenses.

Its whether to get the 14-140 or the 42-150 and keep the 14-42. Already have the 20mm which is superb! So just looking for an all purpose lens that I can just travel with and have the 20 for IQ and lower light.

In your case I would go for the 14-140. If you went with the 45-200 you will be starting with 90mm at 35mm equivalent (not including the 20mm). I like the 14-140 and may get one one day but other lenses are required 1st.

Back