"Panasonic G series" Owners Thread

Personally, I settled on a GX1 as I don't like the ergonomics of the NEX (size and lack of real buttons).

I have a GF1 but I don't like shooting without a VF so it just doesn't get used these days. If it had a VF it'd possibly be my most used camera, but it doesn't so it sits in a drawer.

No thanks.

An add on one with lower res than my G1's that'll destroy the compactness and sit waiting to be snapped doesn't interest me in the slightest.

I had a play with the nex 7 at focus, it is an excellent camera in every respect. I read a review of it online somewhere and it's sensor is brilliant, it is the same sensor used in the Alpha 77, so that could give you an idea of the output. For the price the g3 has to be an excellent buy. My dad is chaning his pentax stuff for one. As for the OM-D, it's stunning! Iso performance looks excellent when I reviewed it on the cameras screen. Much much improved over the ep series. Plus it is the best looking and best handling m 43 camera I have looked at!

No thanks.

An add on one with lower res than my G1's that'll destroy the compactness and sit waiting to be snapped doesn't interest me in the slightest.
Well, you didn't say that in your post :p ;)

Can't see the Oly RAW's there.
And you weren't commenting on that in the post that you said about the RAW files... Just the G3 and NEX for the comparisons. All else comes over as if it is a matter of interest, nothing more.

Well, you didn't say that in your post :p ;)

And you weren't commenting on that in the post that you said about the RAW files... Just the G3 and NEX for the comparisons. All else comes over as if it is a matter of interest, nothing more.

Eh? Why do I feel the need to reply to that? God knows... I listed the cameras and RAW's I was looking at in my post containing the link to the RAW's :wacky:

"Post 6325 - There's a link on the MFT rumors site to a French site containing RAW shots at various ISO's from G3, Nex 7, Nikon V1, Canon G1X and Oly EM5. Here it is..."

The link is there for anyone interested.

Last edited:
Tulipone said:
My new Nissin M4/3 flash turned up recently after I followed a thread here about flashes. I have to say that I've not understood the reasoning behind them until this turned up and the flash itself is simple enough for even me to understand the concept. The instruction book is refreshingly small.

Taken without flash but with directional natural light on Intelligent Auto

Taken a few seconds later with the Nissin and manual settings.

Really pleased with my £71 spend and looking forward to continued use.

(I really need to take that watermark off!)

Huge difference with the flash.

This is the flash I'm wanting,,,(Nissin di 466) in case anyone is thinking of selling theirs!!

I don't like my Metz Mecablitz 36 AF-4 being TTL only. I want to have a play with manual flash too!!

The first few serious pics taken with the G3/Samyang 7.5mm Fisheye
Taken at Barter Books Alnwick, featured in the press today...Barter Books not my pics:D

nice first pics, i like them. don't know about you but i found it more tricky than i thought taking a picture that were level and with equal curve and also not taking my feet!

Huge difference with the flash.

This is the flash I'm wanting,,,(Nissin di 466) in case anyone is thinking of selling theirs!!

I don't like my Metz Mecablitz 36 AF-4 being TTL only. I want to have a play with manual flash too!!

The Di466 is a nice flash Janet, my only thing I don't like about it is the lack of swivel, but it's easy enough to use off camera without any extra equipment.

hillwalkinggirl said:
The Di466 is a nice flash Janet, my only thing I don't like about it is the lack of swivel, but it's easy enough to use off camera without any extra equipment.

Thanks, Barbara.

I have to agree with this - both the lack of swivel (but learnt to turn the camera to bounce) and that it is simple to setup as a slave. I am now tempted to buy another as it appears to be able to control two slaves (and I guess one on the camera).

Looking good. I read there is software you can get to correct the fisheye distortion should you want to.

I was looking at some corrected examples the other night but you could still tell, I will mainly be using this for funky pics and abstracts but it is also useful for super wide distant landscapes if the horizon is kept level..

I went supermarket commercial tonight with mine...

A%20beacon%20of%20light..._1000105.jpg

and

_1000110.jpg

Spent most of today playing with my GX1 and 25mm f0.95 Voigtlander, that lens is a cracker and great fun to play with. Amazing how quickly you adjust to (and enjoy) using manual controls. Gave the 14-42X a quick test and was pretty impressed with how it performed. Tomorrow I'm hoping to take the 7-14 out for a day trip :)

woof woof said:
Ove at the MFT rumors site Canion seem to be having a little trouble with sensor sizes :LOL:

http://www.43rumors.com/
Heh... Not too clever :) The G1X is a nice proposition tho, but not nice enough (or small enough!) To make me want to dump my m4/3s gear. Is this likely to be as close as Canon gets to a CSC, or is there any hint that they've got one coming?

I know it's maybe not the forum to post this but I have been tempted back to MFT again.

I've always loved the concept but have missed the lack of a good selection of AF primes to cover a wide range.

My friend has recently ordered the Fuji X-Pro 1 (he has more money than I) and was selling his very new MFT outfit. He is a pretty serious photographer and spoke very well of the new Olympus primes.

Anyway - to cut a long ramble short I now have an Olympus E-P3 with the new 12mm and 45mm lenses plus the 25mm 1.4 and (just in case) the Panasonic 100-300. I have the kit zoom lens but doubt it will be used.

I am truly amazed by the prime lenses, the 12 and 45 are beautifully made and extremely compact and image quality is superb. The 45mm must be one of the best value lenses on the market. Having used the outfit in London last weekend I believe I have at last found the Holy Grail I've been seeking of a small body outfit with compact lenses of very high quality. I've taken more pictures over the last 10 days than I have for months.

The 25mm 1.4 is an outrageously good lens and I think all I now need to get (again!) is a 20mm 1.7

Happy days!

What lenses are people using for indoor and portrait type shots?
On my Canon I was using the nifty fifty and I would like to get something comparable for my G1.

On my Canon I was using the nifty fifty and I would like to get something comparable for my G1.

I find the 45mm 1.8 and 25 1.4 great for indoor and portraits

Can anyone recommend a UK dealer that has the GF1 and lenses in stock. Preferable in the Northwest but failing that internet order will have to do..

Cheers.

Mandoo said:
The 25mm 1.4 is out of budget. Is the 45mm 1.8 on Olympus lens?

Yes the 45mm is an Olympus lens - pound for pound a stunning lens and lovely bokeh for portraits

Last edited:

If you want to keep about the same FoV and camera to subject distance there is the lovely Voigtlander 25mm f0.95. With 45mm you'll have to increase your camera to subject distance or accept different framing. It'll blow the budget though :)

daveproctor said:
I know it's maybe not the forum to post this but I have been tempted back to MFT again.

I've always loved the concept but have missed the lack of a good selection of AF primes to cover a wide range.

My friend has recently ordered the Fuji X-Pro 1 (he has more money than I) and was selling his very new MFT outfit. He is a pretty serious photographer and spoke very well of the new Olympus primes.

Anyway - to cut a long ramble short I now have an Olympus E-P3 with the new 12mm and 45mm lenses plus the 25mm 1.4 and (just in case) the Panasonic 100-300. I have the kit zoom lens but doubt it will be used.

I am truly amazed by the prime lenses, the 12 and 45 are beautifully made and extremely compact and image quality is superb. The 45mm must be one of the best value lenses on the market. Having used the outfit in London last weekend I believe I have at last found the Holy Grail I've been seeking of a small body outfit with compact lenses of very high quality. I've taken more pictures over the last 10 days than I have for months.

The 25mm 1.4 is an outrageously good lens and I think all I now need to get (again!) is a 20mm 1.7

Happy days!

Congrats, that's a great selection of kit, that 12mm is the Olympus right, supposed to be the best lens of all, and I love the 45mm. Reckon your mate made a big mistake ;)

I am extremely grateful to my friend - it was a very good deal for me. He had a new Fuji outfit which better suits his love of bigger sensors - his main outfit is a Phase One/Alpa outfit

The 12mm is an amazing lens. It is tiny given the wide angle and large aperture and superbly sharp even wide open. What I really like with the new Olympus primes is the fantastic colour and contrast.

I think the 45mm will go down as a classic lens - tremendous performance for the price

At last MFT users have a full set of fast primes which match Canikon but in MUCH smaller/lighter form. It's taken a while but I do believe that MFT is now coming into its own

Hmm not sure what I was thinking on my last post.. :shrug:

I meant to write;

Can anyone recommend a UK dealer that has the GX1 and lenses in stock. Preferable in the Northwest.

Mark

I know where there's a GX1 for sale, there's just one small problem... Panasonic wrongly wrote GF1 on it :D

Good luck finding a GX1 :D

iPhoto said:
Hmm not sure what I was thinking on my last post.. :shrug:

I meant to write;

Can anyone recommend a UK dealer that has the GX1 and lenses in stock. Preferable in the Northwest.

Mark

Give Stuart a call at Digitaldepot. I got a superb deal on a gx1 and power zoom kit from him. Excellent service.

I saw a deal on Canon Rumors - $350 for a GF3 and the new power zoom! Shame they won't ship to the uk.

Slightly OT but does anyone know what happened to OldBoy (Dave) who used to post quite a lot on this thread? Hope he's ok.

Back