"Panasonic G series" Owners Thread

I use it quite a lot. It's my main walkabout lens on my G2 so it gets used for family days out, car shows, things like that. I prefer the focal length over the 14mm, but its not as small as I'd like. It's a much more affordable option than the 20mm Pana though.

I've just received a Rokkor 50mm f1.4 and it seems to be a very good lens.

I wont be able to get out and shoot with it until tomorrow but a few test shots indoors look good. Comparing it to my Rokkor 50mm f1.7 the f1.4 seems to be as sharp at f1.4 as the f1.7 at f1.7 and it seems to display less blooming on bright areas too. They both seem to have the same minimum focus distance.

The advantages of the f1.4 over the f1.7 seem to be...

As sharp at f1.4 as the f1.7 at f1.7.
Slightly less bloom on bright objects.
Offers more aperture settings at the wide end...
f1.4 offers f1.4, 2, intermediate (f2.2 or f2.5?) and f2.8.
f1.7 offers f1.7 and then f2.8.

All examples are via Photobucket and so will be mangled...

50mm f1.7 at f1.7, 100% crop of my alarm clock...

50mm f1.4 at f1.4, 100%...

Sharpness is about the same but the f1.4 seems to display less blooming and therefore looks a little sharper.

Artificial flower shot with 50mm f1.4 at f4, 100% crop and you can see the pattern in the fabric...

I think I'm going to like this lens even more than the f1.7.

It'd be great on a body with IS, a max shutter speed of 1/8000 and a base ISO of 100 :D

Last edited:
It'd be great on a body with IS, a max shutter speed of 1/8000 and a base ISO of 100 :D
I can see where you're going with this.. You'll just have to spring for the VF-4 too ;)

That lens is nice at 1.7 too...

In case anyone is interested, I have a Gf2, 14-42 and 14-140 listed in the classifieds. I've moved to the dark side (Olympus...)

Ok I just bought the Panny 45-175 x vario power zoom ( it was delivered about half an hour ago) and first impressions are its going to be great with my GF5 as we leave for our holiday on Tuesday morning. However, I've noticed a very small plasticky rattling sound which seems to be coming from right inside in the middle of the lens. Is this normal? :shrug:

I'm not sure if its just part of the internal workings or if there is something seriously buggered in it! Don't suppose anyone has any experience/knowledge of this particular lens do they, so that they can confirm one way or the other please? :help:

I'm not too worried if it is shot as its brand new from Amazon so is covered in case I need to return it....but it would be nice to test drive it in the Caribbean :naughty:

Cheers, Andy :thinking:

Can you hear the sound when the camera is powered on and the lens is being used? Or is it only when switched off?

Just Google 'Lumix lens rattle' - I think you will find that many Lumix lenses make the rattle sound...I believe it is the OIS system....

Ok I just bought the Panny 45-175 x vario power zoom ( it was delivered about half an hour ago) and first impressions are its going to be great with my GF5 as we leave for our holiday on Tuesday morning. However, I've noticed a very small plasticky rattling sound which seems to be coming from right inside in the middle of the lens. Is this normal? :shrug:

I'm not sure if its just part of the internal workings or if there is something seriously buggered in it! Don't suppose anyone has any experience/knowledge of this particular lens do they, so that they can confirm one way or the other please? :help:

I'm not too worried if it is shot as its brand new from Amazon so is covered in case I need to return it....but it would be nice to test drive it in the Caribbean :naughty:

Cheers, Andy :thinking:

Don't worry, it's normal, I have the same lens and it also has the plastic rattle when shaken.

I found this when I looked into it

http://www.dpreview.com

Last edited:
Can you hear the sound when the camera is powered on and the lens is being used? Or is it only when switched off?

Just Google 'Lumix lens rattle' - I think you will find that many Lumix lenses make the rattle sound...I believe it is the OIS system....

I think you've just resolved it for me....and so quickly too (y)

It only makes the noise when the camera is turned off. When its on and when being used its silent.

Many thanks for your prompt reply.....now it's time for a few drinks before starting the packing :D

It seems a little quiet in here recently :crying: so here's some Rokkor 28mm f2.8/50mm f1.4 pictures taken on quite a flat and quite cold and windy day...

And here's a 100% crop from that last shot which looks lovely on my screen...

I got my 5D+40mm f1.4 out the other day and it felt like a suitcase after not using it for so long.

Need some advice.

Can I reverse a raynox G250 with the G2 Kit lens 14-42mm for Macro photography. I did it last by holding the reversed lens to the body and got a good level of magnification for some one starting in macro and still a relative beginner.

The raynox is 49mm diameter, so if was to buy a reversing ring and the a step down ring to 49mm would that work?

Need some advice.

Can I reverse a raynox G250 with the G2 Kit lens 14-42mm for Macro photography. I did it last by holding the reversed lens to the body and got a good level of magnification for some one starting in macro and still a relative beginner.

The raynox is 49mm diameter, so if was to buy a reversing ring and the a step down ring to 49mm would that work?

The raynox has a variable filter size grip thing on the end that fits over (well inside) the end of the lens. It will fit fine on your 14-42.

Need some advice.

The raynox has a variable fit grip so it will attach to the inside of nearly every filter size. It will fit fine on the 14-42.

Cheers for answering, but I have no issue attaching the raynox to the lens, but want to know if its possible to attach the raynox to a reversing ring?

Here's a shock...

The next Panasonic GF style camera will have a built in EVF (tiltable) and IBIS!

WoWza. I hope it has the latest (Sony?) chip too rather than a Panasonic rehash.

Read it here...
http://www.43rumors.com/

The rumour sites seem to be very good at getting the camera spec right but I think the argument as to if it's a Panasonic or Sony sensor will carry on for months.

To date no one seems to be able to match what is thought to be a Sony sensor in the GH3/OM so I hope that's the one that's fitted to this latest GF style camera.

Thinking about the tilt thing... I think I'd rather have a tilt screen than a tilt VF... time will tell but certainly IBIS may stop me from switching brands as I mostly use manual legacy lenses.

Does sound nice. Will be interesting to see what the sensor is like.

That sounds like an awesome camera as long as the size doesn't increase too much from the GX1. I've really missed my GX1 since I sold it and was thinking about buying another but I might hang on now.

A couple of recent photos with my GH2 and legacy 300mm f2.8

and one with the GH2 and Canon nFD 135mm f2

Cheers,

Simon.

Hey all

Just picked up a G1 body for cheap, it was kind of an impulse buy after realising that last time I went on holiday, I stopped taking photos as my camera was so crap.

I've picked up a few cheap lenses just for mucking about (Olympus OM 50mm 1.8 and a cheap 25mm CCTV lens), but am after something multipurpose. A friend has a G2 with a Panasonic 20mm pancake, but they're out of my budget.

Budget is £100 firm, would prefer a used prime lens. Been looking at the Olympus 17mm 2.8, Panasonic 14mm pancake, and Sigma EX 19+30mm.

Does anyone have any advice which one to go for? Any other lenses that would be a good match?

Thanks!

Joe you have a good setup there, the OM50mm is a nice lens and focus is easy on the G1.
Since the G1 isn't flat, the 17mm pancake won't be compact anyway so go for the 19mm Sigma for the very fast focus (and the black finish matches the G1)
Also, look for a cheap old 135mm from carlzeissjena or any of the many competitors back in the day : £20 tops, adapter is about £13.

I literally just picked up a 19mm Sigma on ebay :D Had to buy new unfortunately, the only used one was running at 80% of the price of a new one.

Also been looking at the longer stuff. Seen some good things in M42 screw mount. Is there a limit on how long I can go before things start to get weird with the crop sensor? I've seen 200mm+ lenses for under £30, and think they would be cool to play with.

Personally I really struggle to hand hold my 135mm f3.5's. Maybe things wil be a little easier on a bright sunny day :D but I haven't had one since buying the 135's.

the last time I took one out I couldn't even get a useable shutter speed at ISO 1600 :crying: Like I said, bright days are needed :D

Hmm, OK. Would 100mm be more usable?

I also don't want to rip the face off the camera with a big heavy lens, especially if I end up putting the camera on a tripod.

I have a Canon 100mm f2.8 SSC FD lens that is very hand holdable. Great lens.

Simon.

Excellent, that or something similar will be my next purchase, funds permitting.

I paid in an insurance cheque Wednesday, spent over half of it on camera gear, and still haven't fixed my bike with it... Oops! They don't check what you spend insurance money on, right? :p

Excellent, that or something similar will be my next purchase, funds permitting.

I paid in an insurance cheque Wednesday, spent over half of it on camera gear, and still haven't fixed my bike with it... Oops! They don't check what you spend insurance money on, right? :p

They're quite sought after, so I'm afraid you won't get a good one for around the £30 mark. You'll probably be looking at something closer to the £70+ ball park.

Cheers,

Simon.

CCTV camera lens arrived today. It actually makes a really nice portrait lens. Pretty pleased with these two from my first day of shooting a manual lens.

KMP5vYU.jpg

8t77zuk.jpg

CCTV camera lens arrived today. It actually makes a really nice portrait lens. Pretty pleased with these two from my first day of shooting a manual lens.

Be careful, cheap manual lenses can be addictive and before you know it you've got a drawer full.

I thought that I should update the thread with a result from my trip to Norway, havig asked for advice prior to going. Was advised to get a CPL and 10 stopper filter.

13-05-24_P_O_Ventura_-_Norway_4054.jpg

Now I'm not a tripod a tripod person - or at least I wasn't. Now my eyes have been opened. They still are a royal pain but the pain seems more worthwhile now!

And a quick snap of the Briksdal Glacier...

13-05-24_P_O_Ventura_-_Norway_4057.jpg

Last edited:
Is it this sort of thing you got, Joe? I'm very tempted to have a play, for that kind of money.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CCTV-25mm...=UK_Lenses_Filters_Lenses&hash=item2564b8a61e

Yes, but mine was a fiver cheaper!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/25mm-f-1-...-PEN-E-P3-PL3-Panasonic-G3-GF3-/330681255297?

My Olympus OM adapter arrived today, really impressed with the 50mm lens, although it's kinda tricky to shoot with 100mm effective focal length. Best shot of the day:

aSToTbJ.jpg

Yes, but mine was a fiver cheaper!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/25mm-f-1-...-PEN-E-P3-PL3-Panasonic-G3-GF3-/330681255297?

My Olympus OM adapter arrived today, really impressed with the 50mm lens, although it's kinda tricky to shoot with 100mm effective focal length.

The FoV can grow on you, a 50mm is my most used lens with my G1 (I had 5 of them until I gave one to my sister and now I only have 4) and it's one in the eye for those who insist that you can't get shallow DoF from MFT.

BTW, I have the same CCTV lens.

My shallow depth of field pictures are the ones that all my friends like. Maybe it's because I'm new and use it like a blunt instrument...

How do you like the CCTV lens? I'm really looking forward to using mine in the markets and at night in Istanbul in a few weeks.

My shallow depth of field pictures are the ones that all my friends like. Maybe it's because I'm new and use it like a blunt instrument...

How do you like the CCTV lens? I'm really looking forward to using mine in the markets and at night in Istanbul in a few weeks.

I do a lot of shallow DoF pictures, from flowers to scenery, I like them :D There's far too much worry about front to back DoF IMVHO.

I have mixed feelings on the CCTV lens. I was going to do a little mini review but basically my thoughts are that at £20 it looks a bargain until you look at what else you can get for £20, or to stretch it a little for £15-25.

I've been very impressed with old manual Zuiko and Rokkor lenses and someone posted a link to this site and there are some amazing bargains...

http://www.rockycameras.com/index.asp

... and you can get a nice 50mm f1.8, f1.7 or even a f1.4. Going a little wider isn't a problem if you want a f2.8 but 28mm f1.? are a bit thin on the ground although they recently had a 28mm f1.9 for £120 which I am tempted by. Going wider than 28mm and f2.8 is difficult and/or expensive with legacy lenses.

I have a Voigtlander 25mm f0.95 and it's in a different league to the CCTV lens and to be honest it shades the Zuiko and Rokkor's too but spending that much on a lens almost seems like... cheating to me so the CCTV lens wins a little victory of sorts. I like humble and unpretentious things and a £15-25 Rokkor seems like bliss, a £20 CCTV lens seems like an interesting and cheeky fun option and a £800 Voigtlander seems too good for me :D

PS. I've just bought that 28mm f1.9 :D

Last edited:
No, no more lenses! :p My final purchase (Sigma 19mm) arrived today, so I'm all set up now.

I agree with the CCTV lens, it cost me a little less than my 50mm f1.8 Zuiko (£25 for the lens, an OM10 body which I put on ebay immediately, and £10 for the adapter), and it's not anything special, but it's quirky and you can get some good shots with it if you use the quirks to your advantage.

Yeah, that Voigtlander cost 3x more than all my gear put together, I think I'll pass! I almost shied away from spending £10 more on a lens than the body, but I wanted autofocus for quick stuff and action shots.

There's no such thing as 'no more lenses'! :)
Made a deal over on AVF to buy a GF5. Really don't need it, but wanted to see if its any better in the hand than the GF3 I've already got. I'll try it for a couple of days to decide which one to keep then list the other one in the classifieds.
Going to part with my 14-45 too as I'm almost exclusively using the 14mm and 19mm now so have no need for it.

Back