"Panasonic G series" Owners Thread

GX80 12-32mm and 35mm-100mm package on Amazon Lighting Deal for £489 now

I wish I'd seen that this morning lol. I've been into Jessops & Currys several times over the last few weeks trying out both the OM-D series vs Panasonic deliberating which I should get to replace my Canon EOS 620 (film body) which died on me while on holiday in Cornwall. Was up at 1am reading/watching reviews and decided to give the Panasonic a try based on the improved image stabilisation. Simon Harrison's photos also played a part in swaying my decision given the fantastic results he's getting!

Picked up a silver GX80 twin lens package, Sandisk 32Gb card and extra battery at Jessops this morning (reserved through Topcashback earning a tenner!), wanted the black one but they only had one on display. When trying it out it kept asking to be turned off and on again (classic IT crowd moment :p) so plumbed for the silver. I wished I could have got the G80 with cashback but I guess Panasonic will be offering discounts next year as its just hit the market. Can't complain as the manager knocked off another £50 :clap:

I'm planning on putting the cashback towards upgrading the kit lens to the Olympus 12-40mm f2.8 (used of course) as I've heard that this lens is excellent wide open.

Oh well now I've got to download the advanced manual and learn how to use it!

I'll be taking the SD card down to the shop when they have a G80 in stock, I want to see what the colours and such are like.
the G7 was a nice body but I really didn't like the results from my one small test.
I do like the stuff out of this old GH3 so far.

I'll be taking the SD card down to the shop when they have a G80 in stock, I want to see what the colours and such are like.
the G7 was a nice body but I really didn't like the results from my one small test.
I do like the stuff out of this old GH3 so far.

Unless something radical has happened I'd expect the G7 v G80 image quality to be the same.

There's nothing between the cameras I have now, GX7, G7 and GX80 and the image quality looks identical to me.

Have to say that of the three I prefer the GX7 despite it's poor EVF. The G7 has a much better EVF but the grip is uncomfortable for me and the GX80 lacks the GX7's tilting EVF and AF/MF switch but it does have a nice shutter and auto mechanical / electronic shutter but overall I do wish they'd kept the GX7's tilting EVF and AF/MF switch.

Unless something radical has happened I'd expect the G7 v G80 image quality to be the same.

There's nothing between the cameras I have now, GX7, G7 and GX80 and the image quality looks identical to me.

Have to say that of the three I prefer the GX7 despite it's poor EVF. The G7 has a much better EVF but the grip is uncomfortable for me and the GX80 lacks the GX7's tilting EVF and AF/MF switch but it does have a nice shutter and auto mechanical / electronic shutter but overall I do wish they'd kept the GX7's tilting EVF and AF/MF switch.

Is there any rainbow / tearing with the GX80 EVF?

I've never seen that but I do see... something... I'd describe it as a general unsharpness. Another issue is that you have to make sure that you look right into the middle otherwise it's fuzzy.

It's the same EVF as the GX7 AFAIK.

I bought the GX80 to use the 14-42mm mega OIS on as it gives shutter shock on my GX7 and G7. For other lenses I much prefer the GX7.

Last edited:
Really need to get out with my camera more and use it instead of it sitting all cosy in the bag in the cupboard.

Hi

I am interested in the gx80 especially as it has £200 cash back and it works out about £350 with the lens

I keep reading about the audio being poor, can you confirm or deny this please?

Thanks

Maybe also think about the Panny 12-35mm f2.8 and there may be a new on one the way if the rumour site is right.

Oh that's a cracker.
I think the 12-40 will be my first lens purchase for the gx80.

Maybe also think about the Panny 12-35mm f2.8 and there may be a new on one the way if the rumour site is right.

Thanks Steve!

You really can't go wrong with either the Oly or Panny lens. As Alan says, you might get a bargain on the mk I Panny 12-35 f2.8 when the newer version hits the shelves. For what it's worth, it was the slightly longer focal range and closer focusing ability that drew me towards the Oly rather than any real world IQ differences.

Simon.

It'll be interesting to see what improvements are incorporated into any 12-35mm MK2.

One area I'd hope for change for the better in is noise as in a quiet room I can hear the focusing noises and aperture clicking even if anyone 10ft away can't. I do hope they keep the small minimum focusing distance.

You really can't go wrong with either the Oly or Panny lens. As Alan says, you might get a bargain on the mk I Panny 12-35 f2.8 when the newer version hits the shelves. For what it's worth, it was the slightly longer focal range and closer focusing ability that drew me towards the Oly rather than any real world IQ differences.

I was thinking about any focusing advantages the Panny lens could offer but I don't know if it has that depth of focus technology thingy or not.

Thanks Steve!

Simon.

Good to know.

I think I'll hold off for a while and use the kit zoom. In the meantime I'm tempted by the Panny 42.5 or Oly 45 - which is 'only' £179 on amazon.

I was thinking about any focusing advantages the Panny lens could offer but I don't know if it has that depth of focus technology thingy or not.

That's a good point Alan, particularly if you're shooting that moves. In single shot, the Oly 12-40 (like pretty much every other m4/3 lens I've owned) is damned near instantaneous to focus and as such I doubt that DFD makes any practical, real world difference at all.

Simon.

Good to know.

I think I'll hold off for a while and use the kit zoom. In the meantime I'm tempted by the Panny 42.5 or Oly 45 - which is 'only' £179 on amazon.

I have used both lenses, and currently own the Panny 42.5mm. It is a superb bit of glass.

Simon.

Hi

I am interested in the gx80 especially as it has £200 cash back and it works out about £350 with the lens

I keep reading about the audio being poor, can you confirm or deny this please?

Thanks

Audio is okay, I'm not much of a video person so it doesn't bother me that much. Relying on the internal mic is never great as you pick on noise coming from the body. If you can stretch to it, get the G7 which gives you a mic input and can be had at good prices.

Is there a video recording limit on the gx80?
Someone said it is 28minutes

I don't understand why there would be a limit on a camera?

Confused.com
Thanks

Is there a video recording limit on the gx80?
Someone said it is 28minutes

I don't understand why there would be a limit on a camera?

Confused.com
Thanks

There is a limit. All cameras that record are limited, think it's to do with how they are classified and tax implicatons. Also it's a hardware related, the sensor heats up whilst recording, the Sony A6300 was notourious for this.

There is a limit. All cameras that record are limited, think it's to do with how they are classified and tax implicatons. Also it's a hardware related, the sensor heats up whilst recording, the Sony A6300 was notourious for this.

Thanks, that is something I didn't realise
So I could in theory record all day but stop and start recording every 27 mins or is it likely to damage the camera.
If not then can this be removed at all.

Is 28 mins acceptable and in line with most cameras in this range?
Thanks

Any camera that records video for 30 minutes or more is classified as a video camera rather than a stills camera and "attracts" a higher rate of import duty. That's why most stop at 29 minutes or there abouts...

That's why a lot of people by the ntsc version of a camera (Asia / US). Avoids the limit.

Looking forward to the Panasonic CES announcements later today, not particularly for the GH5, but for the new and updated lenses. The rumoured updates to the 45-200mm and 100-300mm could be very interesting, as I only occasionally need that sort of focal length and hence could justify anything more exotic or expensive. The new Leica zoom is also of interest, but likely to be too expensive for me.

Simon.

Seen some rumours for the GH5, hopefully some of the tech will trickle down to the GX9 (4mp EVF!).

I just brought the 12-35mm 2.8 so will be watching closely to see what the new version brings and decide weather to send it back. The 12-60mm looks tempting but need to know the how much the aperture goes down according to focal length.

Seen some rumours for the GH5, hopefully some of the tech will trickle down to the GX9 (4mp EVF!).

I just brought the 12-35mm 2.8 so will be watching closely to see what the new version brings and decide weather to send it back. The 12-60mm looks tempting but need to know the how much the aperture goes down according to focal length.

The GH5 is too videocentric for me (not to mention way out what I could afford to pay if the launch price rumours are correct), so I'm also hoping at some point there will be a GX9. I'm less bothered about the variable aperture on the Leica 12-60mm, as most of my shooting is landscape based (so I'm stopped down) or of family days out when a little more depth of field thanks to my very active 4 year old son is actually welcome, particularly at the long end. However, it and the 12-35mm f2.8 mk II will have to be very, very good indeed to tempt me to part with my Oly 12-40mm f2.8!

Simon.

Looking forward to seeing the reviews of the new kit, 6k photo sounds great in the gh5, 30fps with af if I understand it right.

I guess it depends what and how you shoot. I've used the 4K photo modes of my GX8 twice in well over a year of ownership. I've got to say that at this point, the features of the more recent Olympus m4/3 bodies (live time, live bulb, high res mode etc) look more appealing than the video based features that Panasonic are bringing to the table. Time alone will tell, and it is nice to have the range of models to choose from that m4/3 now has!

Simon.

No word yet on the features I'd like - auto ISO with exposure compensation in manual mode and a good implementation of constant DoF preview. The former really holds the system back for me for low light and indoor use, I suppose I can just carry on guessing the DoF but these features are just so good on the Sony A7 that using MFT seems like going back to the 1950's, almost :D

I'm not too bothered about lenses as I think I have all I need. I still can't get a sharp shot out of my 45-200mm though.

Actually one lens I'd like is a constant f2.8 the size of the 14-42mm Mega OIS but realistically that's not going to happen :D A f2.8-4 might do though.

Last edited:
Back