"Panasonic G series" Owners Thread

One nice feature of the GX80 and presumably the G80 too is you can set it to automatically switch between electronic and mechanical shutter although to be honest the GX80's mechanical shutter is so quiet I can only imagine changing to electronic in the very quietest of situations or for reasons of shutter speed.

Beginning to wish I had got a G80 and 12-60 instead of my G7 and 14-140

£799 for the G80 and 12-60 lens, i'm seriously tempted.

Me too... But I resist it since it has been available... Hoping for some price drop further down the road. Maybe.

Yeah when the GX9 or G90 comes out lol

The Lumix G series has relatively low residuals, along with such as the Olympus Pens. Provided there is no absolute must and can't live without feature, I think buying a current generation camera is a sure fire way to lose vast chunks of money very quickly. I bought the G5, GH3, G7 and Pen EPL-5 new, but all at a small fraction of the original prices. All were older models at the time of purchase except for the G7, which surprisingly was still current but had a huge Black Friday discount with Cash Back. Exactly the same occured this Xmas, when the GX80 body was discounted to a net £250 ish for the body only, again, a current model but heavily discounted with Cash Back. It's always worth looking at the new price depreciation curve for cameras on Camerapricebuster. The G7 body had an introductory price of £600, mine cost £250, the GX80 was about £520 on introduction and was selling at £250, less than half price on offer.

I'd love the added features of the new G80, but past model history suggests it will be half the current price to buy new in about 18 months or less. Of course, all cameras are going to lose money faster than the Greek Government (well, maybe not quite that fast!), but for those with finite resources, I suggest it makes sense to try and minimise these losses by timing purchases later and resisting GAS impulse buys.

Thought for the Day - My G7 and Lens Turbo 2 cost 10% of the cost of the Canon 5D4. So why is the Canon such a poor workhorse for 4K video at that infamous price? (Yes, I shoot FF Canon too but with the 5D2).

The Lumix G series has relatively low residuals,

Yup, the value falls faster than a brick... if you can sell them at all.

I'm hoping this may change as newer models come out and leave shutter shock behind but the GX80 price slashing we saw recently tells us otherwise. I read on one of the usual camera sites that Panasonics share of the market has been consistently falling, for some reason they just don't seem to attract the cachet of Olympus so I suppose it's pointless worrying about residuals and better just to hope they stay in the market.

Never mind though as anyone looking to buy gets a bargain.

And on the subject of SS. I don't suppose we'll ever know exactly what causes it or doesn't but I got a surprise the other day when I found that my GX7 displayed shutter shock when used with my old manual focus Minolta Rokkor 50mm f1.2 and I needed a shutter speed of 1/500 to eliminate it. My old manual focus Sigma 50mm f2.8 macro however worked perfectly at any reasonable shutter speed. Baffling.

Last edited:
Yup, the value falls faster than a brick... if you can sell them at all.

I'm hoping this may change as newer models come out and leave shutter shock behind but the GX80 price slashing we saw recently tells us otherwise. I read on one of the usual camera sites that Panasonics share of the market has been consistently falling, for some reason they just don't seem to attract the cachet of Olympus so I suppose it's pointless worrying about residuals and better just to hope they stay in the market.

Never mind though as anyone looking to buy gets a bargain.

And on the subject of SS. I don't suppose we'll ever know exactly what causes it or doesn't but I got a surprise the other day when I found that my GX7 displayed shutter shock when used with my old manual focus Minolta Rokkor 50mm f1.2 and I needed a shutter speed of 1/500 to eliminate it. My old manual focus Sigma 50mm f2.8 macro however worked perfectly at any reasonable shutter speed. Baffling.
As for shutter shock, I'm curious. How do you guys recognize it from camera shake ? Is it really something different in the results? For the record I have an older G5 and not sure this camera has the problem or not. I use the electronic shutter quite a lot.

As for shutter shock, I'm curious. How do you guys recognize it from camera shake ? Is it really something different in the results? For the record I have an older G5 and not sure this camera has the problem or not. I use the electronic shutter quite a lot.

I never had a problem with any of my cameras and lenses until I got a G7 which came with a 14-42mm Mega OIS. I'm sure it's a camera and lens combination thing, avoid the problem combinations and it's simply not an issue but knowing what combinations will show SS may be an issue as I don't know of any complete list.

When it hits you get a slight blurring or even a slight double image when using the mechanical shutter between a range of shutter speed of about / something like / normally in the region of 1/100 to 1/350 or so.

If it was a camera shake issue I suppose it'd be more likely to manifest at lower shutter speeds but SS can go away at these very same slow speeds... and camera shake may well not be a problem once you get over something like 1/100 to 1/150 but these speeds can be the worst for SS.

The electronic shutter fixes the SS issue but can give you problems with fast moving subjects, which isn't an issue for me, and can give banding under flickering artificial lighting and that does affect me.

I think it's a great shame that SS afflicts some camera and body combinations and were it not for SS I'd say that my GX7 was superior to my GX80 and indeed it is superior for me because of the tilting EVF and physical AF/MF switch. I just have to avoid using lenses that'll demonstrate SS or when using them avoid the problem shutter speeds or use the electronic shutter and put the camera down and not use it if there are flickering artificial lights.

I've never experienced shutter shock on my G5. It came withthe Lumix 14mm prime but has also been used with the Lumix 20mm, Olympus 14-42mm, Olympus 40-150mm and Lumix 25mm. My wife uses a G3 and has the Lumix 14-42mm HD version and the 45-175mm, both these are fine on the G3 but it is suspected that they can be problematic on the likes of the GX8 and G7. My guess is that the G Series probably used the same shutter all the way from the G1 to the G6.

Managed to see and handle a GH5 at Jessops in the MetroCentre today and have a good long chat about it with the Panasonic rep who was there.

Ergonomically, I doubt I could find a better camera to fit my hands and fingers. It really did fit like a glove. My whole hand fitted comfortably on the grip, and the new joystick was perfectly placed for me. The ease of now moving the AF points around is massive - so very useful. Superb details as well - simple things like a cutout to open the rear screen make such a difference.

The EVF is just flat out amazing. It really is just like looking through the best of optical viewfinders. It is just on another level to any camera I've used before.

BUT, I'm not and never will be a videographer and the GH5 really is first and foremost a video machine. It's a lot of money to pay knowing you wouldn't use a lot of the functionality built in to it. Having said that, the new EVF, ergonomics and claimed improvements of the sensor (colour and low light performance) make it very tempting all the same.

They also had the new Panny Leica 12-60mm lens. It looks lovely. The variable aperture is very linear and starts to change as soon as you start to zoom the lens. It reaches f3.8 around 40mm before moving to f4 just over 50mm. If it performs as well as it looks, this is something I could be interested in:).

Cheers,

Simon.

I just ignore the video features. That still leaves the cost though but for what it is and even ignoring the video features I think it's competitively priced against the competition. I can't see myself spending that much on a MFT body though.

My old G1, now sold, remains the best handling camera I've ever had.

More extreme processing with Nik filters :D but I'd rather have some interesting light.

GX7 and 12-35mm f2.8.

Silver then Analog Efex including old camera and film.

Colour Efex Pro.

100% from that one, looks pretty sharp.

Last edited:
I've never experienced shutter shock on my G5. It came withthe Lumix 14mm prime but has also been used with the Lumix 20mm, Olympus 14-42mm, Olympus 40-150mm and Lumix 25mm. My wife uses a G3 and has the Lumix 14-42mm HD version and the 45-175mm, both these are fine on the G3 but it is suspected that they can be problematic on the likes of the GX8 and G7. My guess is that the G Series probably used the same shutter all the way from the G1 to the G6.
Good to know. I guess I'll stick to my G5, skip the G7 and think about the G80 maybe. Looks like a good potential upgrade. A bit high in price at the moment though for not so much more than my E-M10.

And I can't make my mind up :eek:

Well... if it helps at all I had the G7 and thought it was the fastest and most responsive camera I've ever had with the best EVF I've ever seen, better than my Sony A7's. I'd imagine that a G80 will only improve on the G7 and the improved shutter should make it a very good camera.

I've been thinking of getting one but to be honest I have too many cameras already.

Well... if it helps at all I had the G7 and thought it was the fastest and most responsive camera I've ever had with the best EVF I've ever seen, better than my Sony A7's. I'd imagine that a G80 will only improve on the G7 and the improved shutter should make it a very good camera.

I've been thinking of getting one but to be honest I have too many cameras already.

We have a g7, well it's my daughters camera. I do like it, but never wanted to use it in anger, I do think the change in build quality of the g80 would change that, canon m5 is way over priced, can't afford the em1 mk2 or gh5, supposedly a new eos m coming very soon, but at the mo I'm down to the fuji xt20 and g80. 5axis is vs the super 24mp fuji sensor...

I've looked at the Fuji's several times but although the manual dials appeal in use I prefer the way everyone else does it. Plus, for me the Fuji's are stuck in the middle between MFT and the Sony A7 I also own. For me the Fuji's have the bulk of the A7 (I'm talking about the body and lens combinations I'd want) or are even a tad bigger but can't match the image quality of the A7 and the Fuji's don't IMO pull far enough ahead of MFT in image quality whilst having greater bulk.

I can see how the Fuji's make sense for a lot of people but I'm happier with two systems, the A7 for ultimate quality and MFT for when I want an even more compact system which is responsive with good enough image quality. If pushed to APS-C I'd go Sony A6k and accept that some of the zoom lenses just aren't there and stick to compact primes.

Just having a play with dpreviews tool, the g80 seems to be doing a very good job at high iso's, it looks improved a bit over the g7. Sony a6xxx nice cameras, don't like the lens range. Could do an a7 and 28-70 for same price as an xt20 and 18-55 2.8-4, but then thats kind of g80 and a 12-35 2.8 in the mix too for roughly the same price, or there about.

Can any g80 users comment on real world high iso, and the 12-60 kit lens, what are the thoughts on this?

Just having a play with dpreviews tool, the g80 seems to be doing a very good job at high iso's, it looks improved a bit over the g7. Sony a6xxx nice cameras, don't like the lens range. Could do an a7 and 28-70 for same price as an xt20 and 18-55 2.8-4, but then thats kind of g80 and a 12-35 2.8 in the mix too for roughly the same price, or there about.

Can any g80 users comment on real world high iso, and the 12-60 kit lens, what are the thoughts on this?

Had to shoot my daughter’s birthday party at soft play on Saturday. Conditions where dark so my 12-35mm wasn’t going to cut it. Relied on my PL25mm on the G80 and PL15mm on the GX80, missed a few shots as the focus couldn’t lock on to the kids in the dark, tbf my old D750 would have stuggled as well.

Image wise, it wasn’t as bad as I expected. ISO was set to max of 3200 and shutter speed to 200. There is noise but nothing Lightroom can’t handle, the biggest issue for me is there is not much room to push from the shadows, if you try to much then it get very noisy.

For me this has always been the Achilles for m43 (high ISO and DR). But there nothing out there that can compete with its wide variety of lenses and bodies. With all systems you need to make a compromise on some things, it’s really down to what you are willing to comprise on.

Not that I want to teach anyone to suck eggs...

ETTR and backing it off post capture helps as does realistic resizing for final output and of course there's careful use of NR. If you're going for a smack in the middle of the scale exposure and using ISO 3200 with a shutter speed of 1/200 at f1.8 it isn't dark and MFT should be ok in that lighting but even going to ISO 25,600 could give useable results depending on how fussy you are and how you want to view the picture.

On focus I've found that MFT will lock on in almost total darkness but it takes a few seconds... so effectively useless for anything that moves so in what most people would term low light (rather than darkness) I'd go manual focus which could well get useable results especially at a distance (increased DoF to hide any slight focus errors) and if fine detail doesn't fill the frame and highlight any slight focus errors.

Last edited:
Just wanted to say I have joined the Panasonic gang again! I have a Sony RX10MK3 which I purchased in the summer giving up DSLR and four thirds altogether due to health reasons.
However seeing the double cashback deal after Christmas I couldn't resist getting the GX80!! I have found a harness that really helps with my neck and shoulder problems (not my knees unfortunately!) so I have paired it with the new 100-300mm MK2, and the combined weight is less than my Sony. Changing lenses is still a big problem, but I am being disciplined in what camera I take, and if the GX80, what lens I put on it, all dependant on my day to day health. So far so good! For the first time in a long while, I feel settled with the gear I have. I must also say the the GX80 with either the 100mm-300mm MK2 is a wonderful combo, although I have been restricted to being out and about by the weather so have very little to show for it except this beautifully sharp Robin, but excuse the poor composition! The other thing I intend to use the GX80 for is my running Saluki and Greyhound, although I still have to decide the optimum settings for this, and BIF.

I tried to take a picture of a magpie the other day (I never take pictures of birds) and I now appreciate how long a lens you need and how hard it is :D

PS.
My Panny 12-35mm f2.8 rubber zoom band thingy has become very loose, I've sent an email to my nearest Panny service centre and I hope they'll sell me a new one. Most Annoying!

Last edited:
This thread seems very quiet so I take it there aren't many Panasonic owners on TP. Does anyone know of a specific Panasonic site or are Panasonics just not that popular? Very pleased with my purchase anyway!!

There aren't as many Lumix users as Olympus, hence why it is quieter. It's the same in MU-43, much more activity on the Olympus side. Hopefully the GX80 and G80 will see some Oly users switching (y)

I've been a Panasonic MFT user since the early days with a GF1 but I'm a bit busy and only get limited time to go out taking pictures. I look in this thread and post when I can though and it'd be a shame if people deserted this little corner of then net but fact is free time is limited.

Still having a great time exploring my GX80, I like how easy legacy lenses are to use on it. Here is a wave from Newquay taken with an old Hoya 200mm OM fit.

South Fistal Wave by Riareab, on Flickr

Last edited:
Need to stop myself thinking my G7 isn't a capable camera. Even though it feels toy like I know it's more than enough for what I need. Plus the added benefit over a dSLR is the reduced weight and compactness and all the extra features like zebras, focus peaking etc.

Had a brief play with an engineering sample GH5 on a firmware after that which the press have had a look at, As such with some of the problems that have cropped up with the press and testing addressed. (so say panansonic) Anyway needless to say I had a good 10minutes of messing about with it.

Video has Vlog obviously, its direct full sensor read out which is common knowledge I believe but the one thing that isn't common knowledge I guess is that rolling shutter is minimal, exceptional In fact so here's hoping that it remains that way! It's bloody awful on the A6300 and to a degree A6500. It's much better on Fujis XT2 but that doesn't have spot on the GH5 which is the whole point of the GH5 beyond its image capture ability. Full size hdmi, hdmi clip in the box so no need for a cage, XLR audio recoding via add on box although it's hotshoe and is powered there so no idea what that will do to battery life but a welcome feature never the less! The new Leica partnered 12-60 is an absolute beauty too!

GH5 body is pretty much the same as he GH4 and GH4R, it's very well built but rather large and some how feels larger and heavier than the GH4. Grip and weight perhaps?!

Tilt/flip screen is very bright and seemed to have accurate colour reproduction although who knows if this will be the same on production unit given the one I used was an engineering sample.

Frame sampling is every 15 rather than 30 for those interested and it has (with lens) 7way or 7.5way IS which was almost gimbal like hand held. Very impressive! Price for body including the new 12-60 (which is £900+ by its self) is looking to be £2199 according to Panasonic or something from memory which is rather good given what your getting.

Last edited:
Need some help please from those that are season'd shooters. Trying to get some good images with my G7. So far most shots I have taken have been at night time! I know not handy! But i feel the images are a little soft.

What's the best fstop range i should look at? I have the 14-140 mk2 lens. Would love the pair of f2.8 lens but can't afford them. So far most things I have shot have been at f8. Would i be suffering from diffraction at this aperture? I've made sure my tripod is stable but possibly could add some weight to it as it's a travel tripod, using a shutter remote, have lens stablisation off and hae electric shutter set to auto mode to avoid shutter shake.

To me they all seems a bit soft if i start to zoom in. Both were shot at f8.

Examples are
E-luminate2 by Ian Diplock, on Flickr

and this one

P1000046 by Ian Diplock, on Flickr

f8 is into diffraction and probably best avoided if you are going to look closely. I don't know that lens but I haven't seen a mft lens yet that wasn't pretty good wide open so my advice is to shoot a series of shots from wide open stopping down as you go, review the results and maybe that'll give you a starting point.

Back