"Panasonic G series" Owners Thread

Wow....that's a sunrise!

We could see the GX9 and TZ200 this week, so says the rumor site...

https://www.43rumors.com/ft5-first-image-new-panasonic-gx9-leaked/#disqus_thread

Things that could tempt me to a GX9...

- The new shutter with auto electronic / mechanical option like my GX80, that's very likely :D
- An AF/MF/Exposure lock switch with centre button. This was dropped from the GX80 but I think the GX9 will keep it :D
- A really nice evf, I think that's very likely :D
- Auto ISO in all modes, again very likely :D
- Auto ISO with exposure compensation in all modes, I think that's unlikely :(
- Constant DoF preview in all modes just like my Sony but again I think it's unlikely :(

I'm not expecting image quality to move forward to any significant or noticeable degree at all so I wont be disappointed if/when it doesn't.

I'll probably take a look but will probably stick with my current cameras, GX7 and GX80.

If those images of the GX9 are to be believed, then I'm pleased I went the G9 route. Reducing the size of the grip relative to the GX8 would put me right off the camera. The rear screen also looks like it is no longer fully articulating, a feature I use all the time when shooting on a tripod with my GX8. Be interesting to see what's actually announced!

Simon.

I haven't seen any pictures of the back or side of the camera so I don't know if the screen fully articulates or not.

I loved my G1 and I thought that I'd love my G7 but shutter shock and a grip that irritated me every single time I picked that camera up meant that I hated using it and sold it and I now have two RF style ones and I think that's all I'll now look at in the future. The SLR style ones are the size of my Sony A7 or even bigger so the smaller RF style ones give me the option of using more compact less intrusive kit and that appeals to me and compliments my FF kit well.

I forgot another feature that the GX8 had that I'd like to see on the GX9, the tilting EVF. I think that sadly they'll have dropped it :(

There's images of the back of the GX9 on the link you posted above Alan, although they may well have been added after you posted. Some of the photos look like they've retained the tilting EVF, while some don't. Time will tell I guess!

Simon.

Looks like a smaller grip on the GX9 i dontlike that.

With Fuji about to step into the IBIS arena, I think they need to up their game a bit. Same old same old body styles and nothing really stand out feature-wise. I'm happy with the G80 as it's got all I need, and a nice grip, and the G9 interests me for the improvements it has over it's wee brother. But Fuji's XH1 looks like it could very well slice a chunk out of Pana and Oly's sales if their IBIS is up to par.

I see the top and back shots now but can't see clearly enough on my tablet to see if the back screen is fully articulated or not. Looks like the evf tilts in that picture and the AF/MF switch is there so I hope this is accurate.

Fuji have their followers but the whole XTrans thing and all of the marketing waffle put me off and several of the the lenses look like they're are getting on for FF size so all in all if going for an APS-C camera I'd rather go for a Sony Axxx but I have MFT and MFT makes a good smaller set up companion system with my A7.

I see the top and back shots now but can't see clearly enough on my tablet to see if the back screen is fully articulated or not. Looks like the evf tilts in that picture and the AF/MF switch is there so I hope this is accurate.

Fuji have their followers but the whole XTrans thing and all of the marketing waffle put me off and several of the the lenses look like they're are getting on for FF size so all in all if going for an APS-C camera I'd rather go for a Sony Axxx but I have MFT and MFT makes a good smaller set up companion system with my A7.
I wouldn't take too much notice of shots on rumour sites - they're usually cobbled together photoshop jobs from someone who may or may not have any insider knowledge!
Was the G80 not any better than the G7 for you? It's much smaller than the Sony A7 surely?

If a G80 is smaller than an A7 it can't be by much but there may be more savings once the lens is added but I can't see myself going back to a MFT SLR style body as the biggest savings in bulk seem to be in going fir the RF style cameras.

I'm clearly not the person that the GX9 is aimed at, despite being an extremely happy GX8 owner. So glad I took the risk and went the G9 route rather than hanging on for this.

Simon.

Agree with you.

No matter what budget it's trying to reach, I can't understand why this would have a field sequential EVF? Panasonic must be the only company still trying to use them. It was already dated technology when I bought my brand new Panasonic G5 years ago.

I don't mind the tilt screen, sometimes I wish the G80 had that instead. but no WR?? nope ...

The first couple of good points i have found, the grip is only £59 (downside you have to remove it to change card or battery)
You can do manual with auto iso and exposure compensation.

Does it deffo have a field sequential evf? If it does that's a shock and kills it stone dead for me, the evf's on my GX7 and GX80 are poor imo and I won't be buying another camera with one if these.

Does it deffo have a field sequential evf? If it does that's a shock and kills it stone dead for me, the evf's on my GX7 and GX80 are poor imo and I won't be buying another camera with one if these.

Looks like it does, i thought of you when i read it :(

I've just read the hands on at dpr and they say it is a field sequential evf so I'll pass on this. Others may not mind.

I've been with mft since the gf1 and it's been a frustrating experience with lack of features that I'd like such as auto iso in all modes with exposure compensation and dof preview in all modes and these features may never come but have been available with Sony for years.

All that keeps me with mft is the lenses but the Panasonic bodies and their lack of the features I want are a constant let down and seem years behind the curve when compared to Sony. The lenses are all that keep me with mft but there isn't a body I'd buy now.

Singed.
Disappointed (yet again) of Cleveland.

The stabilization and the lenses are what attracted me. Panasonic and more so Olympus, have much better IBIS than Sony, native lenses are much more affordable and I like that I have the option to stabilize adapted lenses also. Easier for me though, as I like a chunkier, but neat, body so the G80 was an easy buy, and I would buy a G9 if I had the funds available. I don't really like RF type bodies, I much preferred my X-T1 to my Xpro1 for example.

I think the GX9 is what the GX80 should have been, an updated GX7 with a new shutter to fix the disgraceful shutter shock issue. As I've said before, someone should be nailed to something over that.

My main problems with Panny are the lack of auto ISO with exposure compensation, the lack of constant DoF preview in anything but manual mode and to me what is the below par field sequential evf.

I've just had a play with my GX7 and GX80 just to confirm that I really don't like this evf and I don't. I don't see the rainbow effect that some see but to me it's just not sharp at all and when looking through the evf at any angle except dead centrally it's blurry away from dead centre. I liked the G7's evf and I do wish they'd fitted a good one to the GX9 and if they had I may well have been tempted even without the auto ISO and DoF features I've come to value so much with my Sony.

Oh well...

I agree the evf on the GX80 is junk but only better than not having one at all.

I agree the evf on the GX80 is junk but only better than not having one at all.

Yup it's better than not having one at all and even 5 years ago it probably would have been cutting edge but these days it's poor. I actually preferred the EVF on my first generation G1 for use in good light although it was unusable in low light.

I'm quite stunned that Panasonic have persisted with this type of EVF although to be fair I obviously haven't tried the GX9... so maybe it'll all be ok but I do have to say the EVF's on my GX7 and GX80 are poor. Every time I use these cameras I'm disappointed and annoyed by the crap EVF, it spoils the experience and does annoy me every single time I use them.

I suppose another thing to consider is me / us lot whinging on forums are a tiny percentage of the market and although I'd rather have my nails pulled out than buy another serious camera with a field sequential EVF like the ones I have I suppose thousands of people will buy these cameras and never complain.

I've been toying with the idea of giving up and buying a Sony APS-C but lenses are a problem.

These are my lenses...

Oly 17mm, there's no compact 24mm f1.8 Sony lens. The one they have is apparently very good but IMO too big and it's expensive.
Oly 25mm and Oly 45mm, there are Sony lenses that could replace these easily enough.
Oly 9-18mm, there's a Sony wide but it's quite big and expensive.
Panny 14-42mm kit lens, easy to replace.
Panny 12-35mm f2.8, there's no Sony option. There's a f4 zoom but it's quite big and expensive.
Panny 45-150mm, the Sony equivalent is big.

So, for the Oly 17mm and 9-18 and the Panny 12-35mm and 45-150mm lenses there's no easy replacement as the Sony's are bigger and more expensive, so I'm stuck with MFT liking the lenses but not exactly a happy bunny over the cameras.

Yup it's better than not having one at all and even 5 years ago it probably would have been cutting edge but these days it's poor. I actually preferred the EVF on my first generation G1 for use in good light although it was unusable in low light.

I'm quite stunned that Panasonic have persisted with this type of EVF although to be fair I obviously haven't tried the GX9... so maybe it'll all be ok but I do have to say the EVF's on my GX7 and GX80 are poor. Every time I use these cameras I'm disappointed and annoyed by the crap EVF, it spoils the experience and does annoy me every single time I use them.

I suppose another thing to consider is me / us lot whinging on forums are a tiny percentage of the market and although I'd rather have my nails pulled out than buy another serious camera with a field sequential EVF like the ones I have I suppose thousands of people will buy these cameras and never complain.

I've been toying with the idea of giving up and buying a Sony APS-C but lenses are a problem.

These are my lenses...

Oly 17mm, there's no compact 24mm f1.8 Sony lens. The one they have is apparently very good but IMO too big and it's expensive.
Oly 25mm and Oly 45mm, there are Sony lenses that could replace these easily enough.
Oly 9-18mm, there's a Sony wide but it's quite big and expensive.
Panny 14-42mm kit lens, easy to replace.
Panny 12-35mm f2.8, there's no Sony option. There's a f4 zoom but it's quite big and expensive.
Panny 45-150mm, the Sony equivalent is big.

So, for the Oly 17mm and 9-18 and the Panny 12-35mm and 45-150mm lenses there's no easy replacement as the Sony's are bigger and more expensive, so I'm stuck with MFT liking the lenses but not exactly a happy bunny over the cameras.
I bought the gx80 as a walk about small shove in the pocket camera and it does that pretty well and l do like the features it offers just not the evf. I also have the Olympus e-m1 mkii and the evf on that is really nice. Have you checked out the Olympus m4/3 cameras?

Alby, you really make this combination sing! Another absolutely superb image.

Simon.
Cheers Simon, it does produce pretty decent photos, most of the close up bird shots are shot through the double glazing too.

I've been pondering on the GX80 for sticking in my pocket when I go cycling. At the moment I use a GM1 which is great - except it doesn't have an EVF at all. I used to have a G3 which I should have kept, but I was seduced by the upgraded sensor on the GM1 (it is a fine sensor). I think even the GX80 EVF will be better than nothing. But for now I'm resisting - they're still a whisper above my buying price range.

Back