"Panasonic G series" Owners Thread

Talking of moving kit on, I've advertised my GX7 twice in the classifieds here but didn't get any interest at all.

Note that if you order the GX9 body only at £699 you get a 25mm f1.7 "free." I don't know how long that offer is on for.

That's nice :D

After ranting about the evf I'm thinking of buying a GX9 :D Life is short and if what I've waited for all these years is a MFT camera with auto ISO and exposure comp I suppose I'll have to put up with a relatively poor evf... I'd also like full time DoF preview in all modes but I haven't spotted anything about that. I assume that it works in manual like it does with my current cameras so if and when I want it I'll have to do as I do now, switch to manual.

Its not looking good for full time DOF in all modes, just read the G9 only does it in manual so its unlikely the GX9 will do better.

It's clunky in manual on my cameras, maybe it's a hardware limitation.

It's a disappointment when it's available with the Sony APS-C and FF cameras and works very well on my A7 but not a complete deal breaker.

Last edited:
Just scraped enough together for a 100-300, and then MPB tease me by putting up a MKII version which is what I really want :rolleyes::banghead:

Anyone here used both versions? Is there really much of a difference? The WR on the II makes it more attractive, but what about optically?

Just scraped enough together for a 100-300, and then MPB tease me by putting up a MKII version which is what I really want :rolleyes::banghead:

Anyone here used both versions? Is there really much of a difference? The WR on the II makes it more attractive, but what about optically?

Optically, they’re supposed to be identical. However, the mk II has the latest AF motors fitted, which is supposed to make a big difference to its performance.

I’d go for the mk II every time if funds weren’t an issue.

Simon.

Optically, they’re supposed to be identical. However, the mk II has the latest AF motors fitted, which is supposed to make a big difference to its performance.

I’d go for the mk II every time if funds weren’t an issue.

Simon.

Unless someone is selling one very cheap it might have to be the mk1, would much prefer the II of course, another consideration is the 45-175, much less reach but I have heard good things about it. I see one apparently 'mint' for not a bad price on a local site

I've had both and very little between them although, zoom was sticky on the mk1 and works perfectly on my mk2 plus the mk2 uses dual IS on my Gx80 l believe.

Has anyone ever bought a lens marked as 'faulty' from MPB? I wonder in some cases are they easily fixed? They have a 12-60 2.8-4 on there atm for £175, description says it is mint but faulty, no AF and doesn't go to 12mm ... maybe a demo model that took a knock or something. Makes you wonder, if I was any way good at mending things I'd take a chance on it.

Birdies from today, G80 + SMC Takumar 200mm F4

Some birds can get along together, enough for all ... like Chaffys and Sparrows [just about]

P1040741 by K G, on Flickr

But not the Grinch, I mean, Green Finch

P1040759 by K G, on Flickr

They even argue with one another through the feeders

P1040785 by K G, on Flickr

King of the castle

P1040805 by K G, on Flickr

Last edited:
Hard to see where this fits, I mean anyone into wildlife will just got for the already great 100-400, and those on a budget like me will still look to the 100-300 mkII. Sports maybe? at least shorter field sports, seems more a portrait/studio/arty type lens. It's more or less an F4 too, unless you planned to mostly use it at 50mm, which would be pointless. Even with a 1.4x TC it'll only be a 280mm F5.6 and as I say, that is already covered. Unless you wanted to pay over $1000 extra [than the 100-300] for a bit of extra sharpness?

It also looks like it extends while zooming, I think many wanted it to be more like the 45-175

Last edited:
The Panasonic 100-300mm definitely gives some great results. I think that has to go on my wish list. As much as I want the 100-400mm it's just too far out of my budget.

Ok, choice: Panasonic 100-300 mkII, OR, 100-300 mk1 + a 45mm prime

Been pondering this a while now, time to decide. Is the 100-300 really much better? If you don't shoot BIF and don't plan to shoot in the rain much? How much better is the dual IS?

My other option is to sell off my 25mm 1.7 and buy a used 12-40 2.8, and then just get the 100-300 mk1 to satisfy my tele needs.

Last edited:
Ok, choice: Panasonic 100-300 mkII, OR, 100-300 mk1 + a 45mm prime

Been pondering this a while now, time to decide. Is the 100-300 really much better? If you don't shoot BIF and don't plan to shoot in the rain much? How much better is the dual IS?

My other option is to sell off my 25mm 1.7 and buy a used 12-40 2.8, and then just get the 100-300 mk1 to satisfy my tele needs.

Have you seen the £50 cash back on the 100-300 mk2?

Mathers appears to be the best at £449 after the cash back

Have you seen the £50 cash back on the 100-300 mk2?

Mathers appears to be the best at £449 after the cash back

Nice! I'm not in the UK though unfortunately, so probably don't qualify, that includes the free UK delivery too of course. I would be happy enough buying a nicely priced used mkII, I'm forever juggling a bit but trying to work out my best options. I also want something wider, and a macro :D I have money incoming, and with a bit of this and that trading I'll see what I can muster up

Awoke today still pondering on what body to get to go alongside my Pen-F. Having just got back from town after visiting 3 different camera shops I am now the Proud Owner of a New GH5. Oh and a 3 month old Gx8. I am still pinching myself....

The issue I now have is what to pair with the GH5, I have Panny Primes 14mm & 20mm that I can put with the Gx8 and Oly Primes 17mm & 45mm the can go with the Pen-F. I do have the Oly 12-40 Pro that I can put on the GH5 to start with.

I dabble in Portraiture so am currently bidding on a couple of 2nd hand Oly 75mm, I need a strong performing Macro and one goto Zoom.

So guys and help would be appreciated...

Last edited:
Awoke today still pondering on what body to get to go alongside my Pen-F. Having just got back from town after visiting 3 different camera shops I am now the Proud Owner of a New GH5. Oh and a 3 month old Gx8. I am still pinching myself....

The issue I now have is what to pair with the GH5, I have Panny Primes 14mm & 20mm that I can put with the Gx8 and Oly Primes 17mm & 45mm the can go with the Pen-F. I do have the Oly 12-40 Pro that I can put on the GH5 to start with.

I dabble in Portraiture so am currently bidding on a couple of 2nd had Oly 75mm, I need a strong performing Macro and one goto Zoom.

There's a guy looking to trade a 25mm for a 12-40 in classified I hear :p

Seriously though, I envy your collection, only thing missing for me would be a nice tele lens and you have everything covered.

Last edited:

I dabble in Portraiture so am currently bidding on a couple of 2nd had Oly 75mm, I need a strong performing Macro and one goto Zoom.

For a standard zoom, you’re not going to get much better than the Oly 12-40mm you already have. The Panny 12-35 f2.8 is very well thought of, or if you want to trade some speed for focal length, than the Panny Leica 12-60 f2.8-4 is superb.

For a longer focal zoom, the 40-150mm f2.8 from Olympus or Panny’s 35-100mm f2.8 really can’t be beat. I have the Oly 40-150mm f2.8 and it is probably the very best zoom lens I have ever owned. For something smaller and more compact, the Panny 40-150 and 45-175 are well thought of (I owned the Panny 40-150 before upgrading to the Oly).

For an all in one solution, I’d look at the Panny 14-140mm mk II.

You have a great selection of lenses to pick from, and it really is hard to go wrong.

Cheers,

Simon.

For an all in one solution, I’d look at the Panny 14-140mm mk II.

Simon.

For the GX8 I think that the 14-140mm needs thought as this lens is possibly affected by shutter shock which could mean resorting to the electronic shutter and any drawbacks that may bring.

Thanks Jason, that's very kind of you to say. I'm glad you like it :)

Cheers,

Simon.

Simon have you had any chance to use the G9 for action photography. ime picking up mixed opinions on the forums, one guy who seems to not rate it ime convinced is adjusting too many AF related settings.

Simon have you had any chance to use the G9 for action photography. ime picking up mixed opinions on the forums, one guy who seems to not rate it ime convinced is adjusting too many AF related settings.

Not yet Mike. The motorsport season doesn’t really get underway for another month or so, and the one event I did use it on in January had such poor weather to render any meaningful tests pretty much useless. Note that my main native lens for shooting motorsport is the Oly 40-150mm f2.8 which of course isn’t DFD enabled. I guess if I can get good results with it, then anything with DFD should do even better.

My expectations are realistic though - I’m in no way expecting the G9 to match a D500, particularly for difficult AF-C tasks.

Cheers,

Simon.

Last edited:
Back