"Panasonic G series" Owners Thread

Good equipment yea, but YOU chose the angle and time of release. GREAT shots, love the lighting on the last. WELL DONE.

I'm just taking a look at my MFT kit. I sold my GX7 and I'm thinking about selling my GX80 and getting a GX9 or maybe keep the GX80 and still get a GX9 as I like to have one camera fitted with the 12-35mm f2.8 and another fitted with the 17mm f1.8 :D So even if I'm a bit undecided I will decide and my bodies are ok :D but I'm looking at my lenses.

I'm happy with the Oly 17, 25 and 45mm f1.8 and zoom wise I'm very happy with the 12-35mm f2.8 and the tiny 14-42mm kit lens for when I want a very compact zoom for use in good light, the 45-150mm is ok too but I'm not feeling a lot of love for my Oly 9-18mm. It's a nice enough lens I suppose and it's collapsible but I don't find the range all that imspiring (my most used lens for a while was the Siggy 12-24mm) and I find it a bit soft and generally not all that... exciting... so I wonder if people could suggest a zoom that's a bit wider and a bit more... inspiring?

Wide angle is a bit alien to me, I have never really gone wider than 24mm FF, I don't exactly know why, it just never appealed to me to go any wider. I've been thinking on a 12mm for the G80, I should probably take a chance on something wider at some stage, push myself to experiment with it, and if I still don't like it - just sell on.

I'm just taking a look at my MFT kit. I sold my GX7 and I'm thinking about selling my GX80 and getting a GX9 or maybe keep the GX80 and still get a GX9 as I like to have one camera fitted with the 12-35mm f2.8 and another fitted with the 17mm f1.8 :D So even if I'm a bit undecided I will decide and my bodies are ok :D but I'm looking at my lenses.

I'm happy with the Oly 17, 25 and 45mm f1.8 and zoom wise I'm very happy with the 12-35mm f2.8 and the tiny 14-42mm kit lens for when I want a very compact zoom for use in good light, the 45-150mm is ok too but I'm not feeling a lot of love for my Oly 9-18mm. It's a nice enough lens I suppose and it's collapsible but I don't find the range all that imspiring (my most used lens for a while was the Siggy 12-24mm) and I find it a bit soft and generally not all that... exciting... so I wonder if people could suggest a zoom that's a bit wider and a bit more... inspiring?

If you want a zoom wider than the 9-18, you have a choice of 3 - the Panny 7-14, the Oly 7-14 and the PL 8-18. I’ve used the Oly7-14 and currently have the PL 8-18. Sharpness wise, the Oly 7-14 and PL 8-18 are probably best, with the Panny 7-14 a very close third. The two 7-14 lenses are a pain if you want to attach any filters. The Oly 7-14 in my experience flares very easily with any point light source, particularly near the edge of the frame. It’s also big, heavy and expensive. The PL is also relatively big, definitely expensive but not as heavy.

I sold the Oly 7-14 because of its tendency to flare and that it was a pain to mount filters to it. So far, I’m delighted with the PL 8-18 and it is superb for the landscapes I shoot a lot of.

You pays your money and takes your choice, but unless it’s a focal range you use frequently, I’d stick with the Oly 9-18.

Cheers,

Simon.

Wide angle is a bit alien to me, I have never really gone wider than 24mm FF, I don't exactly know why, it just never appealed to me to go any wider. I've been thinking on a 12mm for the G80, I should probably take a chance on something wider at some stage, push myself to experiment with it, and if I still don't like it - just sell on.

I struggle to see with UWA lenses, and am currently on a steep learning curve with my PL 8-18. It makes it easier for me if I use it as a lens to control perspective, rather than to fit more of the scene in per se. Good fun figuring it out though!

Cheers,

Simon.

Thanks for that, I didn't spot that there was an 8-18mm. I'll have a think but my initial reaction is to go for one starting at 7mm as I probably wont be using filters.

These wides do take thought but can be rewarding. There are those who will say they're not about getting it all in but I do think there are times when you want to do just that but of course these days you can also do that by stitching, maybe. Mostly I think wides are about perspective but not always making it obviously so.

I think I'll go for the GX9 first and once I've got used to that I'll look at the wides. After that I think my buying days will be over for quite a while but I suppose we all think that the next thing we buy will complete our kit :D

Last edited:
Buying a camera in the USA:

The current price of the G9 in the US is approx. $1700 - just over £1200, but includes a free grip.
I will be visiting the US in due course (my son and his family live there) - other than the possible complications with warranty, import duty and VAT, are there any physical/specification differences in the actual cameras supplied to the US market and the European market?

Any help or experience would be much appreciated. Thank you.

Last edited:
A few recent visitors - G80 + 100-300 mk1

A seldom visitor, the long tail tit
Long-tail Tit by K G, on Flickr

Heavy crop here on this Female Blackbird shot, full reach and against some strong back lighting, good tester for CA - if this is as bad as it gets I'm fine with that

Blackbird [Female] by K G, on Flickr

Didn't quite nail this chaffinch sharp, grabbing suet pellets from the table [if you look close] , but I do like the reflection

Chaffinch feeding by K G, on Flickr

Buying a camera in the USA:

The current price of the G9 in the US is approx. $1700 - just over £1200, but includes a free grip.
I will be visiting the US in due course (my son and his family live there) - other than the possible complications with warranty, import duty and VAT, are there any physical/specification differences in the actual cameras supplied to the US market and the European market?

Any help or experience would be much appreciated. Thank you.

Wont the video be set up for NTSC rarther than PAL?

Wont the video be set up for NTSC rarther than PAL?

That's what I reckoned, don't know if you have a choice between formats on camera? If it's NTSC only you will have to convert all of your video files to PAL to view them back in the UK. No difference for stills photography though.

Panasonic outlet on ebay have a refurbished G9 with 12-60 Leica lens for £1,599.99 if that is of interest.

Has anyone here attempted a wet sensor clean with their G-series camera?

I ask because I noticed quite a few specks of dust/dirt on my GX7's sensor when viewing at f/22, so I purchased some suitable swabs and solution and got cleaning. However, despite approaching the job methodically (including using a rocket blower and a brush to remove any loose dirt ahead of swabbing), most of the specks remain stubbornly in place.

On closer examination, there appears to be a relatively large gap between the glass 'filter' in front of the sensor and the sensor itself, which looks like a prime place for all sorts of fluff and lint to collect, out of reach of any home cleaning regime.

Has anyone else experienced this? Is the only way of cleaning the sensor properly to send it to a Panasonic approved repair service, at a cost? [emoji848]

Last edited:
Should be ok. If it's not clean try again? I've done wet cleans on GF1, G1, G7 and GX7 with no issues. My GX80 hasn't needed one yet.

Should be ok. I've done wet cleans on GF1, G1, G7 and GX7 with no issues. My GX80 hasn't needed one yet.
What should be ok? My point is I've done the wet clean, but there's still a lot of dust. The gap between the filter and the sensor looks like at least a millimetre, which means that a lot of dust could collect in there which can't be reached. Has anyone felt the need to send the camera off to a service centre to remedy this?

What should be ok? My point is I've done the wet clean, but there's still a lot of dust. The gap between the filter and the sensor looks like at least a millimetre, which means that a lot of dust could collect in there which can't be reached. Has anyone felt the need to send the camera off to a service centre to remedy this?

What should be ok... cleaning it should be ok. Many times I haven't got a sensor clean at the first attempt so I clean it again. If you've only had one pass at cleaning I think it's a bit soon to decide there's contamination under the glass... try again and see if things improve. If it's under the glass you have a problem but I'd need to try again and be a lot more sure it's not a cleaning issue before I came to that conclusion.

@woof woof: you edited your previous post after I replied to it to include 'If it's not clean try again?', that's why I asked what you were talking about.

Your last is predicated on the conclusion that I've only cleaned it once. I haven't, I've cleaned it a number of times, so it's not me rushing to conclusions. As has been borne out by other forums, there is an issue with some MFT bodies getting dust trapped behind the sensor, which, upon examination of my GX7, is the case here. This is why I'm asking if anyone has come up with a resolve to deal with this issue specifically.

Last edited:
@woof woof: you edited your previous post after I replied to it to include 'If it's not clean try again?', that's why I asked what you were talking about.

Your last is predicated on the conclusion that I've only cleaned it once. I haven't, I've cleaned it a number of times, so it's not me rushing to conclusions. As has been borne out by other forums, there is an issue with some MFT bodies getting dust trapped behind the sensor, which, upon examination of my GX7, is the case here. This is why I'm asking if anyone has come up with a resolve to deal with this issue specifically.

He gave you the best answer he knew, why nit pick someone trying to help you? I've cleaned the sensor on my G80 and haven't noticed anything like this. What you describe as a gap between sensor and protective glass has multiple layers and appears to be deeper when looking down into the body than it actually is. It is also sealed all around the edges, dusts will not get in there so easily. So yes, try cleaning it again, sometimes it takes 4-5 good scrubs to shift stubborn dirt, and stubborn dirt is what you're seeing if it only shows at F22.

I can’t say in all the years I’ve used MFT bodies (including the GX7) that I’ve come across the situation described by @Nifkin . What I would say though, is if the dirt is only showing at f22, then I wouldn’t be too worried about it. Most MFT glass does not perform well at all stopped down to that extent. I usually avoid stopping down much beyond f8 to f11, so unless you have a very specific reason for shooting at f22 or lower, then I personally wouldn’t be concerned about it.

For what it’s worth, I use Visible Dust brushes (dry cleaning) that has always worked very well for me. I can’t remember the last time I wet cleaned an MFT sensor.

Simon.

Aye, macro is the only time I would stop down beyond F8, F11 at a push maybe for landscape, with M43 tbh.

I've had to keep a closer eye on the bird feeders in the garden as the cats have killed a few birds over the past week :( Can't really stop them, but I can make it a lot harder for them. Bell collars, moved the feeders, sweeping up any fallen seed [this is where most birds get blind-sided] and pulled the garden table, where I usually throw a handful of seed for the Robins, blackbirds and others that don't really do feeders, away from the cat's 'hideouts' where they've been pouncing from.

Happy to see they have not got this guy at least, my regular matey:

Robin profile by K G, on Flickr

Sir. Robin by K G, on Flickr

This guy needs to be extra careful, looks like he needs to eat more himself, not become the feed!
Slender Tit by K G, on Flickr

Maybe this Chaffy is stealing all his lunch?
Pudgey Chaffinch by K G, on Flickr

All shot using the G80 + Panasonic 100-300 mk1

Last edited:
I've had to keep a closer eye on the bird feeders in the garden as the cats have killed a few birds over the past week :( Can't really stop them, but I can make it a lot harder for them. Bell collars, moved the feeders, sweeping up any fallen seed [this is where most birds get blind-sided] and pulled the garden table, where I usually throw a handful of seed for the Robins, blackbirds and others that don't really do feeders, away from the cat's 'hideouts' where they've been pouncing from.

Happy to see they have not got this guy at least, my regular matey:

Very good.
Are these with the 100-300mm mk.1 ?

He gave you the best answer he knew, why nit pick someone trying to help you? I've cleaned the sensor on my G80 and haven't noticed anything like this. What you describe as a gap between sensor and protective glass has multiple layers and appears to be deeper when looking down into the body than it actually is. It is also sealed all around the edges, dusts will not get in there so easily. So yes, try cleaning it again, sometimes it takes 4-5 good scrubs to shift stubborn dirt, and stubborn dirt is what you're seeing if it only shows at F22.

I know it's early, but have a cup of coffee and a fag and chill out eh, Cagey :LOL::LOL::LOL: I was simply trying to be more specific about my ask, because woof woof's original response before he edited it missed the point.

Of course you can't guarantee that dust can't get in between the protective glass and the sensor, hence my original question. I've cleaned sensors on a number of Canon APS-C and FF bodies, so I know how it works and have never had this problem before, and I don't use my GX7 anywhere near as much or in as varied conditions as I used my Canon kit. As said, when trawling a number of other forums the issue has been raised before with some MFT bodies (not all: just because they share a sensor format doesn't mean they are all designed the same way).

@srhmoto: yep, I'd rarely stop down to f/22 to take a picture, even with my 5D3, and I never stop down beyond f/11 with my GX7, so of course the issue disappears at larger apertures. Therefore I'm not overly troubled by at bit of dust, any more than having the same amount in a lens. I was simply interested to see if anyone else had experienced the issue, and whether there was a cost effective way of dealing with it.

I know it's early, but have a cup of coffee and a fag and chill out eh, Cagey :LOL::LOL::LOL: I was simply trying to be more specific about my ask, because woof woof's original response before he edited it missed the point.

Of course you can't guarantee that dust can't get in between the protective glass and the sensor, hence my original question. I've cleaned sensors on a number of Canon APS-C and FF bodies, so I know how it works and have never had this problem before, and I don't use my GX7 anywhere near as much or in as varied conditions as I used my Canon kit. As said, when trawling a number of other forums the issue has been raised before with some MFT bodies (not all: just because they share a sensor format doesn't mean they are all designed the same way).

@srhmoto: yep, I'd rarely stop down to f/22 to take a picture, even with my 5D3, and I never stop down beyond f/11 with my GX7, so of course the issue disappears at larger apertures. Therefore I'm not overly troubled by at bit of dust, any more than having the same amount in a lens. I was simply interested to see if anyone else had experienced the issue, and whether there was a cost effective way of dealing with it.

I've never had this problem but I suppose it can happen...

All I can suggest is that you take a very close look at the contamination and where it appears and try to discern if it stays in the exact same place despite cleaning or if it ever moves. If the contamination is in the same place and just can not be moved or removed then it's either in between the glass sandwich or hopelessly welded to it and in either case you may have no choice other than put up with it if maybe it isn't visible at the apertures you use (f5-8 may be enough for you) or send it off for inspection and possible repair if it is visible in shots.

Hope you get it sorted.

Suddenly you're not typing like you've a poker shoved somewhere. That's a start. I don't smoke btw, and I don't suffer fools. I do drink coffee though and probably was already well loaded up before you even awoke this morn. All I'm saying is be thankful for the bit of advice, however vague it might be. It's not an official Panasonic technician repair forum in here! I said nothing until your second response to Woof, it just came across as pompous and pedantic the way I read it, maybe you didn't mean it that way? All I know is if you ask a question, be grateful for whatever answers you get. Simple.

On your actual issue, again, you seem to know more than we do, so you tell us

Last edited:
In the end yeah, first copy was a dud, sent it back for replacement and it's much better :) Still want the mkII but mostly just for the weather we get here.

Yes, I’d read about your problems with the first one, and then your satisfaction with the replacement.
I’ve got the Mark II - I’ve given it little use as yet, but am happy so far.

Suddenly you're not typing like you've a poker shoved somewhere. That's a start. I don't smoke btw, and I don't suffer fools. I do drink coffee though and probably was already well loaded up before you even awoke this morn. All I'm saying is be thankful for the bit of advice, however vague it might be. It's not an official Panasonic technician repair forum in here! I said nothing until your second response to Woof, it just came across as pompous and pedantic the way I read it, maybe you didn't mean it that way? All I know is if you ask a question, be grateful for whatever answers you get. Simple.

On your actual issue, again, you seem to know more than we do, so you tell us
Oh there there, you big silly, come here and give me a kiss [emoji8] [emoji23] [emoji23] [emoji23]

Last edited:
I rarely post images as my efforts pale into insignificance with the majority posted to this thread.
However, a few weeks ago a pal took me down to a place in the Cotswolds to find short eared owls.
All the toggers there had Canikon full frame bodies with massive prime and zoom lenses, all needing large tripods to carry them around.
I rocked up with my Panny GX8 and 100-300mm mk ii (using one hand).
Some of the results are below - all at 300mm and huge crops.
I have never tried birds in flight before, I hope they are not too embarrassing!

Shortie6 by Malcolm Fisher, on Flickr

Shortie4 by Malcolm Fisher, on Flickr

Shortie by Malcolm Fisher, on Flickr

Shortie5 by Malcolm Fisher, on Flickr

Last edited:
I rarely post images as my efforts pale into insignificance with the majority posted to this thread.
However, a few weeks ago a pal took me down to a place in the Cotswolds to find short eared owls.
All the toggers there had Canikon full frame bodies with massive prime and zoom lenses, all needing large tripods to carry them around.
I have never tried birds in flight before, I hope they are not too embarrassing!

Great shots.
I'd be well chuffed if I took them.

I agree, re ally good shots and a good representation of yourself, the camera & lens capabilities too.

I paid for the replacement for this a week ago (last Tues night) still no new lens.
Great service or what?

No communication from them at all the product regsitration for this connects to nothing.

I did look up the repair website (seperate company)and they say this
Performance
been in 1 days, inc. 0 days waiting parts 1 days waiting est
Repair Info
spare parts on order
Estimate details
replacement lens required damaged

I dont feel this is a knee jerk reaction but i do intend to consider moving away from Panasonic, ime a pensioner and when i buy expensive (to me) camera gear i expect to be able to keep it going for a long time, i should have guessed they didnt repair lenses when my 100-400 failed within 12 months and the exchanged it
With my lens then yours now this one https://www.mu-43.com/threads/panasonic-repair-service-woes.97917/#post-1144856
Panasonic are not offering customer support to the degree i would want.

Our robin has been busy this morning, but I managed a quick shot when he had a brief rest.
I do like this little GX80, can't see a lot wrong with this body and lens combination.

Spring robin 2 by Malcolm Fisher, on Flickr

Panasonic GX80, Panasonic 100-300mm mark ii, 1/1300 @f5.6, 300mm, ISO 4000.

Last edited:
I like my GX80 but I'm still thinking about getting a GX9 as I'd like to have a tilting EVF again and get the switch on the back too both as per the GX7 plus I'd like to give the 20mp chip a go.

I like my GX80 but I'm still thinking about getting a GX9 as I'd like to have a tilting EVF again and get the switch on the back too both as per the GX7 plus I'd like to give the 20mp chip a go.

Wouldn’t a used GX8 fit the bill better ? - it’s gonna cost less money than a GX9.

Back