"Panasonic G series" Owners Thread

Hi folks, new member here, you may have seen my short intro?

I bought a Canon 350d years back but not used it much and I’m now looking to get back into photography and been thinking about buying a G9

It’s quite a large chunk of change so I’m just looking for opinions - would you G9 owners still buy the camera again, having used it for a while? Any bad points?

Cheers

Chris

As above we could do with a bit more detail about what you think you would be shooting,camera bodies are mini computers now so its more important to get the right one.

Oooh, I'd actually prefer that one if you'd managed to keep a bit more of the left side in with the boat!

For me to be interested in this one i would need to crop some of the boats out, extend the canvass on the right and apply blur to the background,this is a quick and dirty example but its still going in the trash as ime not good enough at PP.

The wing position is actualy an easy position to get with a Greylag coming into land.

P1110566.jpg

Hi folks, new member here, you may have seen my short intro?

I bought a Canon 350d years back but not used it much and I’m now looking to get back into photography and been thinking about buying a G9

It’s quite a large chunk of change so I’m just looking for opinions - would you G9 owners still buy the camera again, having used it for a while? Any bad points?

Cheers

Chris

I’d buy the G9 again in a heartbeat - it is a superb camera. However, it is complicated to set up and 3 months in I still have some refinement to do to get the best out of it. With the motorsport season getting underway later this month, the various AF settings and custom modes will be the next thing I explore.

As an all rounder, the G9 takes some beating. However, as suggested I’d also look at the G80. You could get some very nice glass with the money you’d save, albeit with some compromise on specification and performance.

Cheers,

Simon.

After ranting against the GX9's EVF, which I'm still not happy about, I'll probably buy one as apart from the EVF it looks to be pretty much just about everything I want and the only things probably missing will probably be a Sony quality constant DoF preview in all modes and the ability to shoot silently without banding under artificial light.

I can live without the constant DoF preview although I resent having to and if the shutter is the same or better than the one in my GX80 it'll be useable in all but completely silent rooms.

I'll be grateful for any feedback on the GX9 :D

For me to be interested in this one i would need to crop some of the boats out, extend the canvass on the right and apply blur to the background,this is a quick and dirty example but its still going in the trash as ime not good enough at PP.

The wing position is actualy an easy position to get with a Greylag coming into land.

View attachment 122288

I like environmental scenic shots too, which is why I'd like the full boat in, and yeah a little more space to the right for the duck to 'fly into' maybe. Like with bird 'portraits', I don't always want a smooth, clean back drop. Sometimes I like to try capture a scene, with the birds fighting for rights to better spots on the feeder, or bird face offs on the tree etc ... include a bit of the backdrop. But it depends

So, had a play with the gx9..

Viewfinder, is bright with good colours and brightness. Sharpness of it seemed quite good also. Panning showed a little bit of drag, but nothing that would make it unusable to my eyes. Using it tilted would need a better eye cup for me, but I am not used to a tilting evf.

Body design, mostly I like it. I'm all for dials that be knocked easily, but I found the exposure compensation dial a bit too stiff, turning the dial towards the eye wasn't too bad, but going back to the other way it was to stiff and jerky to use it with my thumb, (i was hoping the rear control dial could be used for exposure compensation, but it's not). The mode dial that sits on top of the exp comp dial, is very small! Again it wasn't comfortable to operate and was quite fiddly.

Overall handling was ok. I think the extra grip would improve it. It balance nicely with the 12-60 panasonic lens.

Everything else is what you would expect from panasonic. I have to say I was a little underwhelmed by it.

The 200mm 2.8, that's just an amazing lens, tried it on the g7 with and without the 1.4x converter.

50-200 2.8-4, again very impressive! The size and weight were less than I thought, such a lovely smooth action on the zoom too. Close focus was pretty close too, on both the zoom and the prime.

Hi everyone,
Just signed up as I'm now the proud owner of a Panasonic G9. Now the fun begins learning how to set it up and use it.;)

Many thanks for the reply’s

I’ll probably taking wildlife, landscapes and possibly some motorsport + anything else which takes my fancy really...probably not much help.

What drew me to G9 was it’s video capability - I was originally looking at the GH5 but decided I would prefer a camera which is more stills oriented but can also take great video if required.

Cheers

Chris

Hi Cagey75,
I use m4/3rds now, but in the past Canon, Sony DSLRs and still got some 35mm film cameras. I also have a Pen-F and several Oly lenses.

What are panasonic like for repairs. Thier website is a shambles IMO.

I need a repair to my 8-18 mm lens as my tripod fell over in some terrible weather at Wasdale

H-E08018 1 by Alf Branch, on Flickr

What are panasonic like for repairs. Thier website is a shambles IMO.

I need a repair to my 8-18 mm lens as my tripod fell over in some terrible weather at Wasdale

H-E08018 1 by Alf Branch, on Flickr

Oh no!

I think that these guys are the official repair centre for Panasonic

https://www.dkavs.co.uk/front-page

I’ve never had cause to use them, but a few on the Lumix Experience site have and I think found them pretty good.

Be sure to let us know how you get on.

Simon.

Dk are very good, the service they offer is great, from communication and the website is well updated. Talking to a couple of staff from dk who were at the photography show said they will start repairing lenses soon as they don't do that yet, but do give them a call and go through there customer services and I'm sure they will be more than happy to help.

Well this is the email I got from DK

I am sorry but there is no route at present to repair this lens

We can provide an exchange price of approximately £550 + vat + carriage. If you wish to proceed with this please log on line at www.dkavs.co.uk and send the lens in to us.

We will provide a more accurate estimate and when paid the replacement lens will be ordered and sent to you after arrival here.

Edit I added the usual bit about accurate estimate

Last edited:
Well this is tge email I got from DK

We can provide an exchange price of approximately £550 + vat + carriage. If you wish to proceed with this please log on line at www.dkavs.co.uk and send the lens in to us.

That ain’t good . This is something Panasonic are going to need to sort out very quickly if they’re serious about penetrating the pro market.

Put the images of the lens up on Panasonic's Facebook inquiring about service and I bet you'll get an answer .

How's the G3 hold up these days ? Seems there's plenty of them available second hand for not much money

I mostly shoot film, and very occasionally shoot digital. Want a back up digital camera with a decent kit lens and a faster prime for low light that's compact and light. Also ideally need a evf.
Mostly shoot urban landscapes and family and friends.
Have tried a LX5 and liked it, although missed a viewfinder. It may be I just buy the lvf1 viewfinder for the LX5 instead ?

That ain’t good . This is something Panasonic are going to need to sort out very quickly if they’re serious about penetrating the pro market.

I am not sure that is going to happen it seems this may be there aproach with other lenses too

Put the images of the lens up on Panasonic's Facebook inquiring about service and I bet you'll get an answer .

I am not a facebooker myself I may get the wife to do it for me.

My first 100-400 developed a major fault at 11 months, Panasonic exchanged it for a new one it does make me now wonder what would have happened if it had been 13 months old.
For a long time consumer electronics have been made with reparability not high on the design list could it be Panasonic have carried this over into camera and lens design.
My possible upgrade this year is now moving away from the G9 towards the EM1MK11, Panasonics photographic future is in their hands and hopefully they will see we are not buying TVs,deepfat friers or microwaves and we are used to a different long term requirement from our photography gear.

Well this is the email I got from DK

We will provide a more accurate estimate and when paid the replacement lens will be ordered and sent to you after arrival here.

Edit I added the usual bit about accurate estimate

@alfbranch these guys might be worth looking at, assuming they can get the parts.

http://www.acecamerarepair.co.uk/Lumix-Lens-Repair.html

Let us know how you get on.

Simon.

Had a play with the G9 at the show today - it looks and feels great - anyone want to buy a 2 month old GX8? (!!!)
There was a pro photographer on the counter (think his surname was Cook, a Welsh chap) who was extremely helpful and knowledgeable.
I thought the Olympus stand compared very poorly to the Panasonic stand.

A one legged Starling, first I've seen! You may say "poor thing" but he was bossing the other starling about around the garden table [where I'd thrown some loose seed and a meal cake] within seconds of his arrival

One-legged Starling by K G, on Flickr

Starlings are bullies in general, they're like mini vultures. They normally arrive in packs and run all of the smaller birds away from the food source, but ... there's always someone bigger ...

There's always someone bigger by K G, on Flickr

And a random artsy, just loved the hint of sun across the base of the ol' rusty table

Rust by K G, on Flickr

All taken with the G80 + 100-300 through the kitchen window

Last edited:
@alfbranch these guys might be worth looking at, assuming they can get the parts.

http://www.acecamerarepair.co.uk/Lumix-Lens-Repair.html

Let us know how you get on.

Simon.

Thanks Simon after what Luton cameras said about it needing to go to DKavs for calibration if the lens body neede replaced I asked my home insurance provider.

A swap is being payed for by my home insurance after ironing out a little mistake on the insurance company system. Now to sort my insurance properly.

I will be posting it off tomorrow to DKavs

I’ve had a look at quite a few of your portfolios and seen some amazing images, there are some very talented photographers on this thread. (And a lot of the other threads to be fair but I’m interested in purchasing a Panasonic set up and seeing what can be achieved is whetting my appetite even more)

Keep up the good work

Chris

Well this is what it is costing for my Panasonic 8-18mm f2.8-4. I am annoyed as the I was told a different price £60 less that this.

Work Required:

Replacement lens required damaged.

=========================================================================

Estimate Cost:

Labour : £30.00

Parts : £570.12

p&p : £9.00

Total : £609.12 exc vat

vat : £121.82

Less deposit/payment : -£0.00

-----------

Balance req : £730.94

-----------

Well this is what it is costing for my Panasonic 8-18mm f2.8-4. I am annoyed as the I was told a different price £60 less that this.

Work Required:

Replacement lens required damaged.

=========================================================================

Estimate Cost:

Labour : £30.00

Parts : £570.12

p&p : £9.00

Total : £609.12 exc vat

vat : £121.82

Less deposit/payment : -£0.00

-----------

Balance req : £730.94

-----------
Assuming your insurance are playing for this (?), MPB have a ‘like new’ lens for £679. Maybe worth mentioning to them as they’ll save some cash.

Got a used G3 today and initial impressions good.

However I think I'm having a slight problem with aperture setting on power up whilst shooting in aperture priority mode. Previously been shooting at f8, and it appears the camera defaults to f4.5 on power up. Turning the dial doesn't appear to change the aperture, pressing it in changes to exposure compensation. Pressing it again changes to selecting aperture, and my previously selected aperture of f8 pops up again. Any ideas ? It may just be user error.....

Secondary question ! Normally shoot at f11 on 35mm film for depth of field, but with focal lengths being half of that for m4/3 is there any need to shoot that stopped down ? Should I be shooting at f5.6 instead ?

Edit - Ignore the first question, I think I've solved that one. 'iA' mode was on.

Last edited:
Got a used G3 today and initial impressions good.

However I think I'm having a slight problem with aperture setting on power up whilst shooting in aperture priority mode. Previously been shooting at f8, and it appears the camera defaults to f4.5 on power up. Turning the dial doesn't appear to change the aperture, pressing it in changes to exposure compensation. Pressing it again changes to selecting aperture, and my previously selected aperture of f8 pops up again. Any ideas ? It may just be user error.....

Secondary question ! Normally shoot at f11 on 35mm film for depth of field, but with focal lengths being half of that for m4/3 is there any need to shoot that stopped down ? Should I be shooting at f5.6 instead ?

Edit - Ignore the first question, I think I've solved that one. 'iA' mode was on.

You'll want to shoot at larger apertures - roughly equivalency (e.g. f5.6 where you're used to f11 as you suggested). I find f11 and up images get a little softer thanks to diffraction. Still useful to go to smaller apertures if you're doing some long exposures though :).

I think most MFT lenses reach their peak between F4 - F8 and diffraction begins to set in thereafter. Only for serious macro will you see MFT shooters go beyond, and maybe for long exposures. Dedicated macro lenses are always sharper than normal primes, they are designed to work stopped down for intense close ups and have incredible resolving detail. The rule of thumb is to double the aperture, to compare with FF, but I don't find this to be strictly the case. Maybe because I shot APSC in between for a few years I tend to more directly compare to that format. Treat F8 as you would have normally treated F11

My 100-300 mk1 is heading back to MPB for replacement on Monday. The manual focus ring on it is unusable, not just a 'bit stiff' but completely stiff, when you do manage to rotate it you get the lens jerking all over the place, not good for macro - which is the only reason I need MF on it. @mpb.com wouldn't allow me to exchange for credit or refund, they say under warranty they can only offer a replacement, which is BS - if they'd allowed me to send it back for store credit I would have waited for them to get another MKII in stock. Oh well, the replacement better be in full working order, or we'll be to-and-fro for a while until I'm satisfied.

Last edited:
Back