"Panasonic G series" Owners Thread

Every now and again I find a picture that I've previously overlooked but now find I like :D

This was taken in April 2017... GX7 and (I think) Panny 12-35mm f2.8 at 35mm and f4, I'd just filed it away but yesterday I found it and I've decided I like it :D

P1090659.jpg

And on the subject of overlooked pictures which I later find that I like... When I return from a day out there are usually some pictures that initially don't grab me and sometimes I wonder why I bothered to take them but I don't delete them straight away and instead I just leave them for a week or so and sometimes when I go back to them some of those pictures that I'd earmarked for probable deletion turn out to be the ones I like best :D

Last edited:
they dont appear to make expro for the g80 anymore I got dot-foto one off of amazon works fine charges in the normal charger

I bought a third party batt for my G80, not sure if it's the same battery? But it works just fine https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0051GO05Y/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I've been using ExPro batteries in my GH4 for the last 2 years, very happy with them.

they dont appear to make expro for the g80 anymore I got dot-foto one off of amazon works fine charges in the normal charger

Thank you all. After looking at your links I found some on amazon that were a bit cheaper : https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00DJLID06/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

(y)

a nicely posing F.whitethroat from today ,had the best day yet with the camera/lens but one thing is puzzling me I seem to be getting the best results in AFF/AFS whereas I would have thought I should be in AFC .but hi ho whatever works best

lots more to follow

the straight and narrow by jeff and jan cohen, on Flickr

Last edited:
I had one of the Fn buttons set to switch between AFF/AFS when I was shooting birds, AFF does seem more reliable for non fast moving subjects.

Just got my loaner G80 today, mine is off to the Doc's .... I forgot how crappy the default set up is, beeps on, Jpeg only, AF assists all over the place etc ... took me less than 2 minutes to set it up like my own, I know this camera better than I thought

Last edited:
Last edited:
Yeah the Ex-Pro ones are 1200 mAh, same as the original Panasonic. Cheaper ones are about 1/5 less power so you will find you're changing it out to charge that bit more often

I always get the itch to change my kit.. the currently “DSRL” stuff I have is; Canon 760D, Canon M6 Plus 100-400 L, 200 L and 17-50 2.8.. vaugling consider swapping to G80 and a couple of lens.. need to pop and try them out!

This just made explore:

Floating spider by K G, on Flickr

I know that's no big deal, but it's only my third explore ever, no idea what the criteria is
there is no criteria Keith its worked out by a changing algorithm had just under 300 explores in my time

there is no criteria Keith its worked out by a changing algorithm had just under 300 explores in my time

Nice! I used to think it was based on views + likes or something, but this one got there when it was only in a couple of groups [added to more since] and had 10 likes or so

I always get the itch to change my kit.. the currently “DSRL” stuff I have is; Canon 760D, Canon M6 Plus 100-400 L, 200 L and 17-50 2.8.. vaugling consider swapping to G80 and a couple of lens.. need to pop and try them out!
having recently changed from a canon 1D plus sigma 150-600 sport plus various lenses ,there are lots of "pros" and a few "cons " in changing first off if you do a lot of wildlife b.i.f are more difficult but not impossible ,,you do have to get closer to subjects or noise can become a problem .thats it for the cons

the pros
I have the g80 with leica 100-400 first off the weight is around 1.5 kg so you can carry it all day with no fatigue ,the i.q is superb within the parameters above ,the lens goes from super tele 800mm equv. to a super macro instantly and due to 5 axis i.s is totally hand holdable for most situations. a monopod will cover any other ones . the colours from the sensor are rich and deep and the RAW files are easily worked . the whole camera and rig is fully water resistant so a small bag or even a carrier bag would suffice in a shower . after 6 weeks would I go back to a large dslr and heavy lens no way ,this is still a fast developing market and I unless canon/nikon jump on the bandwagon quickly they are going to be left in the dinosaur age .the EVF on my camera is virtually at the point of equalling a mirror v/f and the next generation will either be there or might already be ,not yet tried the G9 or olympus om1 mk2 but a lot of wildlife toggers are raving about them

Last edited:
Aye, I shot with a D800E and some hefty lenses [had a 150mm macro that was over 1Kg alone] for about 5 years, I suffered a back injury and had surgery and after that carrying 10KG of gear around was just not pleasant. I was down to very odd photo outings, i would have to be severely bored or have a great desire to go shoot before I'd bother even charging batteries. I switched to Fuji and it was such a relief, a literal weight off, I was back out regularly shooting, and I stopped worrying about paid photography work [which I dabbled in with the FF gear] and began to shoot for me, and me alone. These lighter systems are a joy to use, no strain, no having to answer to every second passer by that no, you are not from the 'newspapers' :D and I also really enjoy not having to load up 80mb RAW files by the hundreds. I never missed anything by way of overall image quality either, as I process all my images regardless of format. The only down side is low light capability, and that's very manageable, especially with the excellent IBIS - the reason i switched from Fuji to M43

I haven't had a DSLR for years now. My last was a 5D and these later MFT cameras give better image quality in a smaller package and they go to ISO heights that would have been science fiction in the days the 5D was state of the art. Plus there's in view dof and exposure aid and silent shooting too. What's not to like :D

In case anyone is considering buying a G80, I have just traded in my trusty G6 & some little used lenses for a new G80 + 12-60 lens at Jessops, they were offering an additional £100 PEX. The 'free' bag & battery Panasonic promotion still applies too. I am not sure how long the PEX offer will apply, I saw a similar PEX offer at LCE earlier today.

I did the trade in at Wex for a G80. Originally brought my GX80 + 12-32mm from John Lewis for £359 plus £50 cashback from Panasonic so £309 for the camera, Wex offered me £300 trade for camera and lens. Plus the £100 trade in offer meant I paid £229. No brainer!

I did have the G9 set as my next camera but I’ve decided to put the money into a few lenses. PL 8-18mm turned up today, looking forward to using this weekend.

I've put in an offer on a 14mm 2.5, just awaiting the seller to confirm - Then I think I will have my ideal set up [for now at least] 14, 25, 60, 100-300 with a Raynox for macro options and 2 speedlights. Plenty enough for me in all that, the only thing I will need extra is a back up body, be totally sorted then.

I don't need anything wider than 14mm, 12 would be nice maybe but I think 14mm will suffice, I never used anything wider than 24mm on FF so close enough. A Gx80 or any of the small bodies would be nice so I can dedicate one to macro and have the other ever ready for general shooting

Last edited:
Decided to pull the trigger on a Panasonic 100-300mm mk II yesterday evening. I'm feeling more and more comfortable with the AF capabilities of my G9, and have really missed not having a native mount 300mm capable lens for motorsport and other things. Hopefully, the improved AF speed, full DFD support, dual IS and weather sealing of the mk II version won't disappoint. I'm not expecting any IQ improvement other the mk I (although some say the new version has improved coatings), but that's not an issue, as I was never disappointed with the output from that lens when I owned it several years ago. It should arrive in good time for the BTCC meeting at Croft in a couple of weeks time.

Cheers,

Simon.

Last edited:
Deal fell through on the 14mm, I wasn't prepared to buy for more than the seller paid for it, also discovered it had been through 3 owners over as many years. If anyone happens to have a 14mm 2.5 they'd like to sell I'll stick up a thread in wanted for one. I'm not overly fussy, but I prefer single owner only when buying used.

Failing that, I'll be on the lookout for a Samyang 12mm probably, MPB have them here and there for good prices.

Deal fell through on the 14mm, I wasn't prepared to buy for more than the seller paid for it, also discovered it had been through 3 owners over as many years. If anyone happens to have a 14mm 2.5 they'd like to sell I'll stick up a thread in wanted for one. I'm not overly fussy, but I prefer single owner only when buying used.

Failing that, I'll be on the lookout for a Samyang 12mm probably, MPB have them here and there for good prices.

14mm f2.5's tend to crop up at reasonable prices quite often so I'm sure it's just a matter of being patient.

I had one but sold it some time ago so when wanting 14mm I'd now use the 12-35mm or the teeny tiny and almost 14mm f2.5 sized 14-42mm G Vario Mega OIS.

Hope you find one soon.

14mm f2.5's tend to crop up at reasonable prices quite often so I'm sure it's just a matter of being patient.

I had one but sold it some time ago so when wanting 14mm I'd now use the 12-35mm or the teeny tiny and almost 14mm f2.5 sized 14-42mm G Vario Mega OIS.

Hope you find one soon.

The one I was negotiating was actually yours at one point :D I looked into the history and saw the seller had got a deal on 2 lenses from you, but wanted above what they had paid plus £10 postage from me so I bailed.

I've been getting to grips with the G9 fitted with the 100-400. Gigantic by M43 standards but still tiny next to an equivalent full frame outfit. Here are some examples from its first outing:

100mm uncropped...

Panasonic G9 8GB 06 P1010017.JPG

400mm cropped to about 75%...

Panasonic G9 8GB 06 P1010068.JPG

400mm cropped to about 80%...

Panasonic G9 8GB 06 P1010070.JPG

220mm cropped to about 50%...

Panasonic G9 8GB 06 P1010042.JPG

My opinion is that this combination can comfortably exceed my capabilities.

Anyone know how the 14-140mm compares quality wise to the 12-60mm kit lens?
Just back from a weeks holiday where I used the 12-60mm and didnt use the 100-400mm.
I felt I could do with a bit more reach, and wonder if the 14-140mm would be a decent walkabout lens?

The one I was negotiating was actually yours at one point :D I looked into the history and saw the seller had got a deal on 2 lenses from you, but wanted above what they had paid plus £10 postage from me so I bailed.

Oh dear, but I'm sure there'll be others to choose from soon if you can just hang in and resist jumping in and paying over the odds.

Just back from a weeks holiday where I used the 12-60mm and didnt use the 100-400mm.
I felt I could do with a bit more reach, and wonder if the 14-140mm would be a decent walkabout lens?

Never used it, but have never seen a bad review on it either. Just make sure to get the later f/3.5 - 5.6 version

Has anyone here used a Viltrox EF to MFT adapter? Just curious, as they seem to be gathering hype especially with the new V3 firmware [Improved AF and stabilization with M43 bodies]. There's one without glass element, which is a straight forward adapter that allows control of aperture and AF for EF lenses, then there's one with a glass element which does the same but is also a focal reducer and gains an extra stop of light. If AF was nippy enough, I might be tempted at some point to grab one with a Canon 50 1.4. With the EF-M2 it becomes a 35mm 1.2 [70mm f/1.2 for MFT] for about £300 There's a tonne of other possibilities for not a lot of money besides.

I have used both lenses, quality wise to my non pixel peeling eyes they both seem about the same. You loose a little wide angle but gain a lot more in length for a lens which is similar size. I can try to find examples taken with both 14-140 on a G7 and 12-60 on a G80?

Can I ask you knowledgeable folk for some advice please.

Recently moved from Sony to Panasonic m4/3rds.

Started with a GX7 to see how I liked the move and I have now bought a GX8 ( yep ! I'm happy with the new kit.)

Building a nice collection of Lens and today I have received a Samyang 7.5mm f3.5 fisheye.

Being a manual focus lens I believe I need to set 'Shoot without lens' in camera menu, set focus to manual and according to what I read set aperture to f/5.6, focus to just under infinity and shoot away (everything should be in focus ?)

Over simplistic perhaps ? Any advice for me please ?

Thanks

Can I ask you knowledgeable folk for some advice please.

Recently moved from Sony to Panasonic m4/3rds.

Started with a GX7 to see how I liked the move and I have now bought a GX8 ( yep ! I'm happy with the new kit.)

Building a nice collection of Lens and today I have received a Samyang 7.5mm f3.5 fisheye.

Being a manual focus lens I believe I need to set 'Shoot without lens' in camera menu, set focus to manual and according to what I read set aperture to f/5.6, focus to just under infinity and shoot away (everything should be in focus ?)

Over simplistic perhaps ? Any advice for me please ?

Thanks

That's how i use my 7.5mm, F4 or F5.6, turn lens to infinity, then back a little bit, i also have focus peaking enabled which helps a lot.

It's a fun lens to use, and cheap as chips, i also use Hugin to defish some of the photo's i take with it.

Last edited:
That's how i use my 7.5mm, F4 or F5.6, turn lens to infinity, then back a little bit, i also have focus peaking enabled which helps a lot.

It's a fun lens to use, and cheap as chips, i also use Hugin to defish some of the photo's i take with it.

Thanks Swissy, good to know I’m not making a ‘pratt’ of myself :) Yes, I envisage using the Fisheye as a ‘surrogate’ wide angle. I use DxO Optics Pro and it is a simple matter to dial in .81 in the Geometric distortion panel and ‘voila’ a ‘defished’ cropped but ‘straight’ version of the photo. Not sure how much I lose of the original 7.5mm (15mm) image ? I compared to a 12mm (24mm) and it was much wider. I guessing it gives me a 17/18mm image ? What size image does Hugin produce ?

Thanks Swissy, good to know I’m not making a ‘pratt’ of myself :) Yes, I envisage using the Fisheye as a ‘surrogate’ wide angle. I use DxO Optics Pro and it is a simple matter to dial in .81 in the Geometric distortion panel and ‘voila’ a ‘defished’ cropped but ‘straight’ version of the photo. Not sure how much I lose of the original 7.5mm (15mm) image ? I compared to a 12mm (24mm) and it was much wider. I guessing it gives me a 17/18mm image ? What size image does Hugin produce ?

I have experimented with most de-fishing software and Hugin is the best, i know DxO, Lightroom etc have plugins that do it automatically, but to much of the image gets cropped.

Hugin is a bugger to learn but well worth it, and no cropping.

These and more tutorials are available.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Just thought I'd mention that camerapricebuster are currently showing what appears to be an excellent deal on a Panasonic 45-175 from a UK retailer. Although I don't currently own this lens my brother does and he seems very happy with it.

Just thought I'd mention that camerapricebuster are currently showing what appears to be an excellent deal on a Panasonic 45-175 from a UK retailer. Although I don't currently own this lens my brother does and he seems very happy with it.

That would be a cracker, out of stock though

I took this back in April, but have only just got around to processing the image. It was taken using the high res mode on the G9. The detail is incredible on the full size file.

Crathorne Church by Simon Harrison, on Flickr

G9 + PL 12-60mm + Haida 2 stop SE ND Grad

Cheers,

Simon.

Just got a 16x12 print of this image back on Permajet Photo Art Rag from DSCL, and the detail in it is just amazing. I was very skeptical of the G9 high res mode and for sure it has its limitations, but the detail and quality of the files it can capture in the right circumstances is just fabulous. Very happy and will use it whenever I can when shooting landscapes.

Cheers,

Simon.

Just bought myself a G3K and 14-42mm for video work and taking out when space is a premium in the car! Looking forward to it arriving tomorrow.

G3K? I take it you mean GH3? or just G3? The beauty of M4/3 is that compact size for sure, the video quality and the amazing IBIS - though if you got any of the G3 variants you won't have that, only OIS in the lens. Have fun :)

Back