"Panasonic G series" Owners Thread

Surely the included glass element would have a negative effect on image quality? To some extent? That was my reasoning for wanting one that has no "glass"?

Think of the focal reducer as a reverse teleconverter, instead of getting more focal length in exchange for a slower aperture and a slightly degraded image, you get a shorter focal length, more light and better image quality.

Bought the 35-100 2.8 now in replacement of the 100-300! Also wondering about an older body as well, as backup to the G80. Any thoughts on the Panasonic GH3? Seems good price used, and has, as far as I can, same sensor but better build and more "pro" esquire. Any owners of the GH3 today? In all honesty, 4K video is not massively important to me!

I've still got my GH3 which I bought new during an Amazon Black Friday sale, after the £200 cashback it cost me a net £275, I always felt like I stole it. It's a lovely camera and it's size and weight mean that it is well suited to longer lenses. I added a battery grip which holds a second genuine Panasonic battery, it's possible to shoot hundreds of photos in day and never get close to running out of battery power. The menu system is so much better than the EM1 which I also own. I find the GH3 exposes better in bright light but use the EM1 in low light which has the aid of state of the art IBIS. The GH3 is much better for video with the flip out screen, clean HDMI output for an external monitor and both headphone and mic sockets. It's unlikely I will move mine on and at current prices they could be a sound used purchase with one proviso. A lot of the GH series have primarily been used as video cameras so a low shutter count is a bit meaningless on these cameras, they may have had a lot of wear and tear, so it makes sense to buy the best possible condition available.

AH Harry is back, I feel like he made the same video last year though

I have a G80 for sale in classified, if anyone's looking for a new one? few extras a long with, needing a quick sale so you might be able to tempt me down a tad

AH Harry is back, I feel like he made the same video last year though

I have a G80 for sale in classified, if anyone's looking for a new one? few extras a long with, needing a quick sale so you might be able to tempt me down a tad

Which adapters do you have?

Has anyone ever used these before?

Meike MK-P-AF3B Set of 3 Rings for Panasonic Digital SLR Camera Black https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00BY0F0P0/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_FeaPBb45JN4N3

Yup, had a set of them for my old Fuji XT1 and they work perfectly fine. I got very decent results using a 35mm lens at the time. Af isn't bad using them, for more serious macro work you will want to shoot MF anyway. Not sure why it says '3 rings' there's only the 2, a 10mm and 16mm.

Last edited:
Yup, had a set of them for my old Fuji XT1 and they work perfectly fine. I got very decent results using a 35mm lens at the time. Af isn't bad using them, for more serious macro work you will want to shoot MF anyway. Not sure why it says '3 rings' there's only the 2, a 10mm and 16mm.

Because they should say two rings three extension options, perhaps a bit complicated for them :D,i have a set and find them good.

I wasn’t expecting such positive comments. If I was to use them with a 25mm F1.7, what would they alter it to roughly?

I wasn’t expecting such positive comments. If I was to use them with a 25mm F1.7, what would they alter it to roughly?

You will probably only get away with using just the 16mm with the 25mm, with both rings it's going to be way too close focusing or even impossible as the tube length will exceed the focal length. But the 16 alone should give you a decent macro magnification option for cheap.

Think of the focal reducer as a reverse teleconverter, instead of getting more focal length in exchange for a slower aperture and a slightly degraded image, you get a shorter focal length, more light and better image quality.
Ordered both of them! A[p[arently there is a 30 day returns if I'm not happy with the AF/Quality etc! We shall see!

Reactions: CSB
I've still got my GH3 which I bought new during an Amazon Black Friday sale, after the £200 cashback it cost me a net £275, I always felt like I stole it. It's a lovely camera and it's size and weight mean that it is well suited to longer lenses. I added a battery grip which holds a second genuine Panasonic battery, it's possible to shoot hundreds of photos in day and never get close to running out of battery power. The menu system is so much better than the EM1 which I also own. I find the GH3 exposes better in bright light but use the EM1 in low light which has the aid of state of the art IBIS. The GH3 is much better for video with the flip out screen, clean HDMI output for an external monitor and both headphone and mic sockets. It's unlikely I will move mine on and at current prices they could be a sound used purchase with one proviso. A lot of the GH series have primarily been used as video cameras so a low shutter count is a bit meaningless on these cameras, they may have had a lot of wear and tear, so it makes sense to buy the best possible condition available.

Cheers Harvey! Not desperate for a spare, was just thinking... I've got the G80 and it seems fine really - that deal you go certainly sounds like a steal! Think I need to get to grips with the lens I've got now before any more purchases!

You will probably only get away with using just the 16mm with the 25mm, with both rings it's going to be way too close focusing or even impossible as the tube length will exceed the focal length. But the 16 alone should give you a decent macro magnification option for cheap.

These will definitely fit my GX80 won't they? Just checking after last weeks debarkle!

You'll love it. Now you're going to want an off cam flash if you don't already have one though :D

Funny you should mention that, I'll have one for sale in the classified section before the end of the weekend

Bought another legacy lens lens last night a 28mm w/a , this one has a genuine macro facility though , hoping it will work o.k as it makes it a 56mm macro . Worth a try at £9.99 , good old e.bay . Find out later in the week

Bought another legacy lens lens last night a 28mm w/a , this one has a genuine macro facility though , hoping it will work o.k as it makes it a 56mm macro . Worth a try at £9.99 , good old e.bay . Find out later in the week

Is this an old manual lens that is to be used with an adapter?

Is this an old manual lens that is to be used with an adapter?
yes it is Simon I have several I find they work really good with m.f.t bodies. and I'm hoping this ones a good one as with macro you tend to use them in manual anyway

Last edited:
I'm actually pondering on the EF-M1, I don't really need focal reducing, just want to mess about with some ef-s lenses - they won't fit to the ef-m2. Let us know ow it goes though, having both would be sweet

Well the EFM-1 arrived today! Only had chance for a quick 5 minutes but... not impressed! On the 200mm L it regaukrly comes up with “connection error” on the LCD and the whole camera will shut down. Remove the lens and the. It works for a bit.. it seems! The 100-400 L it refuses to acknowledge AF...

Initially quite surprised at how bad it is! Will have a better try in the morning, hopefully it’s something I’m doing wrong..

Well the EFM-1 arrived today! Only had chance for a quick 5 minutes but... not impressed! On the 200mm L it regaukrly comes up with “connection error” on the LCD and the whole camera will shut down. Remove the lens and the. It works for a bit.. it seems! The 100-400 L it refuses to acknowledge AF...

Initially quite surprised at how bad it is! Will have a better try in the morning, hopefully it’s something I’m doing wrong..

The first thing to do is update the firmware: http://www.viltrox.com/en/index.php?m=index&a=show&cid=149&id=218

Connect the adapter to a PC [without lens attached] and it'll show up as a new drive, you drag and drop the FW update onto the adapter drive. It might fix some issues, because there's videos of people using the 200 with these adapter and working fine. Not sure about the tele lens. Try the update and see if anything improves

Anyone got recommendation of a good telephoto lens to compliment my 12-60 Lumix lens? So far I have considered a 45-200 or maybe the 100-300 both hopefully the mk2 version. Probably going to buy used if I can.

I have the 45-150 & 100-300 II, both are good lenses, for me the main decision to make is how much space do I need for camera kit. The 45-150 is nice and small compared to the 100-300 which is quite a big lens.

Anyone got recommendation of a good telephoto lens to compliment my 12-60 Lumix lens? So far I have considered a 45-200 or maybe the 100-300 both hopefully the mk2 version. Probably going to buy used if I can.

I would skip the 45-200, it's supposedly the weakest of all MFT tele lenses. The 45-175 is reportedly much better, the 40-150 is also supposed to be very decent and the 100-300 is a very good lens. I had the mk1 and found it just fine, the mkII will be nippier AF-wise and is also weather resistant. I didn't find it heavy at all, but then not long before hand I was using a 150mm macro lens that weighed over a Kilo. I could shoot the 100-300 one handed all day no bother. It's a feather weight when you compare it to full frame tele lenses.

I have the mk1 100-300 at the moment the wife uses it on the Olympus omd10 mkii and she is turning out far better stuff than with previous Nikon or canon gear she had before .
Got min3 used on the bay for sub £200 . She loves it it’s her camera now . I also managed to get a German ( roesch) I think tripod mount for it on the bay for £25 delivered . Yet another steal .
Get one you won’t regret it sharp as occams razer

I would skip the 45-200, it's supposedly the weakest of all MFT tele lenses. The 45-175 is reportedly much better, the 40-150 is also supposed to be very decent and the 100-300 is a very good lens. I had the mk1 and found it just fine, the mkII will be nippier AF-wise and is also weather resistant. I didn't find it heavy at all, but then not long before hand I was using a 150mm macro lens that weighed over a Kilo. I could shoot the 100-300 one handed all day no bother. It's a feather weight when you compare it to full frame tele lenses.

I had one of those and I really struggled to get a decent shot from it, it was just soft at the longer lengths. The 45-150mm is much better but you lose the longer end. I've looked at the 100-300mm a couple of times but there seem to be a lot of people saying it's soft.

I had one of those and I really struggled to get a decent shot from it, it was just soft at the longer lengths. The 45-150mm is much better but you lose the longer end. I've looked at the 100-300mm a couple of times but there seem to be a lot of people saying it's soft.

I had read that too, about it being soft beyond 250mm and you'd have to stop down to 7.1 for sharp images. I was willing to take the chance and use it up to 250 if I found same. But I didn't, I found it plenty sharp enough at 300mm even wide open. Maybe I'm less fussy on sharpness for the type of shots I'd use it for? but even pixel peeping I found it more than adequate.

Just spotted a 100-200 mk1 in classified here for £200, hard to beat that if it's in any way good condition, tempted myself, but not just yet

The first thing to do is update the firmware: http://www.viltrox.com/en/index.php?m=index&a=show&cid=149&id=218

Connect the adapter to a PC [without lens attached] and it'll show up as a new drive, you drag and drop the FW update onto the adapter drive. It might fix some issues, because there's videos of people using the 200 with these adapter and working fine. Not sure about the tele lens. Try the update and see if anything improves

Tried this but didn't seem to work.. I'm using a Mac, is it the same procedure? No different in performance still the error message etc and all being displayed...

Exciting times ahead with the Panasonic S1, SR1, continued support for m4/3, a new m4/3 Leica 10-25mm f1.7 and a Lumix Pro support / service offering all announced this morning by Panasonic :).

The Lumix Pro service is definitely needed, and I'll sign up as soon as I can. Can't wait to see what the new S series cameras can do. Think I'd best start saving now though LOL

Cheers,

Simon.

Back