"Panasonic G series" Owners Thread

The G80 is currently on sale at Amazon for £475, that's the lowest it's ever been. It is fulfilled by Amazon themselves (not third party) and would be subject to the cashback for this model. However, there is no specific mention on Amazon that this model attracts double cashback of £100 at the moment, even though there is no reason that it wouldn't, having studied the Panasonic terms and conditions. All being well, that's a net cost of £375.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01M0TY...de=df0&creative=22206&creativeASIN=B01M0TYTDL

Looks like there's £200 back on the G80+Lens kit DMC-G80MEB-K according to the Panasonic site, and on offer on Amazon for £699 makes it £499!! The details on Amazon only state £100 cash back but definitely shows as double cash back on Panasonic. Feel free to correct if I've got this wrong.
upload_2018-11-26_11-20-58.png

Looks like there's £200 back on the G80+Lens kit DMC-G80MEB-K according to the Panasonic site, and on offer on Amazon for £699 makes it £499!! The details on Amazon only state £100 cash back but definitely shows as double cash back on Panasonic. Feel free to correct if I've got this wrong.
View attachment 139312

Yes you’re correct. I’ve just bought G80 kit and it qualifies for double cash back.

Glen Etive taken with my G80 and PL100-400mm lens....

Glen Etive.... by robert shearer, on Flickr

Beautiful - but it's made me realise something here on my end. I think my monitor is way off in colour calibration! This looks much warmer on my phone, where I viewed it first, and for some reason it made me want to check on the PC - it looks very different. Must look into this! On the phone it looks more on the orange side, which is probably how it should be? On here it's a lot more de-saturated.

The evenings have been horrid dark here, it's what I call ISO 6400 weather - so I put a flash on a stand near the bird feed out back and waited in the warmth of the kitchen to shoot through the window. The only bird that bothered was this Robin, who didn't hang about much after the first couple of pops. But it's an idea ...
Evening, Sir Robin by K G, on Flickr

Good idea Cagey, that worked : looks almost like evening light.

Problem is, if it's any way windy you risk your lightstand blowing over and busting your flash, or if it's raining - like it is here all day, just forget it. I will try it again on a clearer evening though - with the right settings it should be possible to capture them taking off or landing too as flash is better for freezing action than average shutter speeds. With these little birds even 1/1000 can be too slow at times

We get them near some Loughs and harbours here along the East coast, apparently they mostly breed in Scotland but come over just for day trips or whatever :D

I have come to a decision regarding my Panny m43 gear, staying in the system but changing camera from a GX80 to a GX8 for hopefully better ergonomics and a touch better lowlight noise levels.

I ummed and arrrrghed over other systems but most of my camera use is when travelling and m43 still makes the most sense.

Handling size, better EVF, 20mpx > 16px just fits my needs a bit better, not so bothered about the 4 vs 5 axis Ibis so long has it’s got some

I have a GX8, and out of that, my Olympus EM1.2 and Panasonic G9, it's my most least used. However, when the mood takes me, it makes a superb "rangefinder" style camera with a single prime (17mm F1.8 or 25mm F1.8), it's a great walk about camera. The output from it I would say is on a par with the other two mentioned bodies, except maybe in the higher ISO ranges.It has a wonderful EVF (which is an OLED panel vs the GX80 which has a field sequential LCD unit), great grip and nice OLED rear screen.

Negatives - well the IBIS is just "OK" whereas on later models like the GX80 it's much better and even works for video (which it doesn't on the GX8). Shutter shock has been reported as a big problem on the GX8, although to be fair, in the 10,000 or so images I've shot on it, I've yet to see a case of it, but as I understand it, weirdly, not all units were affected ? Some may prefer the tilt only screen of the GX80, whereas the one on the GX8 is fully articulated (like my other two).The GX80 also has some more of Panasonic's more recent features like Focus and Aperture bracketing, Light Composition function available in 4K PHOTO mode, L.Monochrome modes etc.

But as I say, whilst the GX8 may not be the new kid on the block, it's one of those cameras that whilst it's not my most used, I just can't seem to get rid of.

Handling size, better EVF, 20mpx > 16px just fits my needs a bit better, not so bothered about the 4 vs 5 axis Ibis so long has it’s got some

Don't expect better low light performance, more MP won't do this. If anything the GX80 sensor will be a tad sharper because they removed the AA filter. The advantages of the GX8 are more ergonomic, if you prefer a chunkier body with more controls and an articulating screen it'll feel nicer in hand. But end IQ will be much the same. You lose out a bit on the IBIS [4 vs 5 stops on the GX80] - you don't get it at all for 4k video, you also risk shutter shock with certain lenses. It seems to act up more so with the kit lenses.

Don't expect better low light performance, more MP won't do this.

From what I have read, the Panny 16mpx sensor has always been classed as particularly poor with noise as the light drops, hence the switch to the Panny 20mpx for a bit less noise. Plus a tad more scope for cropping.

See what happens when I next go on my travels

Hi Jas

I don't know what sort of travelling you do, but mine involves "street" which involves discretion, a degree of anonymity and camera pocketability.

I've recently gone M34 and got a little GX80 for that reason. And I'm pleased.

lCJLMiMWaWxNpvZI4eN470_Aey9H-NKQHpu0WkZDVLAa-wxgzDA6K6mhpzeEWuxxraASWT8sj0Ow4sYIUBP8NmtOG9KgSHS2qHmTMP9trCKQiyTRnbHQmr7Ypbff8ak0vxvHVfzB65CZ8cz0PBI83xR4NVkuIYbA02A1ny6Wy64slItg1gh8NlGiCTwnh_JIoUYqFjWWGDTZ2yRTPu2AKYzQQ3kDmRiL4iF10S3zfv7A4vTHKfw1M9sMN1GVA2YdZ18BdIWXyLbghH6gFBM_neMNkTpp4xfTL-cfF6Nvn9LffvSzEdiVCG4B6UN8naChm_89PchM2Fdj0Eq5bq65hHnKF5yAVxNyJOvzrUa6pDIY1liM76p9H4O5ZLV58ce1TBdL5JJbxU3poV_Ah4cfpWQlQesR-D7zd1NmS3hhIn1lcnyptLnighmr4YH6J0CWeRnm_pW-_fx6HnMlAmz7QjLE1Np-2KB7vt11owe-_GbVZ586nalzNKd1QtwYa2dvNi7fYvQsOVyoOczL0pERFNMf2Qqat9dtmHsEDtuFCZK3iak2vlh92cc-8_H56Skbxkmwj5VTvTxnJyJeqDCvPfpnfWjZiWgph-MUwOWwJbRwp7z8D98LD4eZ_gmvDX9UXFXwT1B3vtfCM8T5_lMu5x-mry38EbKvYe7raDCOQYWxP14PhuveTWJRtmIWjCIDu6NwYZM_JBqo3w0RSmE=w1262-h869-no

l2-Nm_sueseOOLcDco-Ee9shkmleL5J1xuZQv8QS_O-7gvQyYn9cO5Hie-t9SPqK6-iBK-chOl9R_FOBXfrv0VxenH-FFzHS9q05GnOSKT9t_FuItXLwwhCRePiWCfm-LYTny0OG6gkewlwXzrSMew0gJeufYRprzmPMYkIVozm5lUfigvimlv7ShCPnF4VYIl85YxdowJEvqqD9gS9vGJELeCeHkE3zBZCHI9c3pe0gcZ2NbWqKbOby_8lO-izp371pcAnsQfpXY-pv74oQir83Q3gU8m3FloYPEXdsIuvPtK4bzzwqK5tX1Ry2Qcru7A-hSBBoKBPaFmqGmUDCBH-lF4ajsuDYXmYx47wd17c9KS98nWG5V5il0jTCdODyUZzYjJ4ioOFP5h64x2sUgz99x9H84LjIdeMsIzjiED5bvN9bRkww6mQ6d1B9FNRseZNtGMTqggM797TBkLr7CG3cS4EzCYdQzh1UZHBZ2VnDJ8Dev-AWZAo2eqdTkIFjsRj4MDPsS7Z3uUm5Fuy2Hvo9cD_ublBlEn0Rmxf-b8_eFdlKPjhg_npFG0TE2oc0AE47C45NVHSC3A343wPvCcIYEEvC0Clc0fBkKRDpu4iqBLwwHNyf4PiDC7HIuXnou16gEl9E5nFb6bR_DlUvhPoiaw=w1029-h869-no

Last edited:
I use the g80 and while noise can be a problem in poor light , it’s not as bad as some supposedly superior systems AND it can be controlled well in editing if given a bit of thought , there’s plenty of dynamic range in the files to

I use the g80 and while noise can be a problem in poor light , it’s not as bad as some supposedly superior systems AND it can be controlled well in editing if given a bit of thought , there’s plenty of dynamic range in the files to
Jeff, I'd say your work makes a truly excellent ad for the G80+Leica 100-400 kit. (y)

From what I have read, the Panny 16mpx sensor has always been classed as particularly poor with noise as the light drops, hence the switch to the Panny 20mpx for a bit less noise. Plus a tad more scope for cropping.

See what happens when I next go on my travels

It's certainly not the best, it is it's only real weakness though. But we know this going in, every system has it's drawbacks. Take FF, the be-all-end-all some would have us believe on here, if you like wildlife you're going to have to go big, very big! and expensive generally, to get anywhere near the reach we can get on a budget with M43. You will get cleaner images sure, but at a hefty cost. Then you have APSC, the in-betweener, not a whole lot better in low light but again, more expensive in general if you want fairly up-to-date gear, none of them have IBIS anything close to what you get with M43 - and that in turn, if it suits your shooting style, can keep the noise down. If noise is your biggest concern M43 may never do it for you I'm afraid, but as Jeff points out, it's easy to clean up, check out some of his ISO 2500+ wildlife images in this very thread

I shot some pics last night at a graduation [actually my graduation to boot!] and I never went under ISO 2000, and the images I'm looking at this morning are crisp and clear. I also shot a few on my phone and they're a muddy mess. If you're exposing correctly for the scenario, noise will never be a big issue.

Last edited:
From what I have read, the Panny 16mpx sensor has always been classed as particularly poor with noise as the light drops

I meant in relation to the other m43 sensors, the 16mp sensor in the Em5ii for example seems to handle noise better. I am more than happy with the trade off between FF and m43, particularly as it brings benefits around travel.

I meant in relation to the other m43 sensors, the 16mp sensor in the Em5ii for example seems to handle noise better. I am more than happy with the trade off between FF and m43, particularly as it brings benefits around travel.

I think Olympus in general are slightly better than Panasonic for low light. I would say even the old em5 MK1 that I had was a little better than the G80 for low light noise, but that was the only thing it did better. The mkii is better again I'm sure. Is it worth getting slightly less noise and sacrificing a full stop of Ibis though for the Gx8? For me it wouldn't be but your priorities will be different perhaps

lets put this noisy sensor codswallop to bed , I dont normally shoot at high iso values if it can be helped ,but sometimes the need arises . so heres a very noisy bank vole probably around a 50% crop to or more shot at 6400 iso . milords I rest my case . yes it could have been better on full frame (allegedly) but I have also compared with the 80d which I have previously owned and this is probably cleaner . whatever your view in my book in p*** poor light this is a acceptable image in reality it shouldn't have even been taken but needs must sometimes

whats that noise by jeff and jan cohen, on Flickr

lets put this noisy sensor codswallop to bed , I dont normally shoot at high iso values if it can be helped ,but sometimes the need arises . so heres a very noisy bank vole probably around a 50% crop to or more shot at 6400 iso . milords I rest my case . yes it could have been better on full frame (allegedly) but I have also compared with the 80d which I have previously owned and this is probably cleaner . whatever your view in my book in p*** poor light this is a acceptable image in reality it shouldn't have even been taken but needs must sometimes

whats that noise by jeff and jan cohen, on Flickr

That's why I gave up on the 80D, did have the urge to give it a go not too long back - but after some research found it's no better for low light, maybe even worse as you say. Zero advantage then, so I scrapped the idea, not giving up such great IBIS for similar low light performance. Now, FF, is another story, there's no denying just about any modern FF camera will indeed out-perform an M43 sensor, but that's about the only real solid advantage IMHO.

Love the image btw :) cute wee fella

Last edited:
Anyone have the Power OIS 100-300 vs the older mega OIS? I have the older MEGA OIS and overall am very happy with some of the shots I have got with it. Certainly is softer than the Lumix x telephoto but its very very more than adequate. A bit of judicious RAW processing and the results - to me - look tack on the money. But - that itch is suggesting I check out the newer one if its sufficiently better. Anyone any real world experience? Linked a couple from Central Park recently, all taken with the 100-300. Full res JPEG in the we transfer of both if anyone is interested in sharpness and detail from this kit.

P1010740.jpeg P1010847.jpg

https://we.tl/t-eTsGKGpVIx

I own but rarely use one of the mk1 versions ,the wife has claimed it to use on her Olympus om.d10-mkii , I have to admit that at times shooting side by side with my 100-400 she does better than I do . Now I am not sure if it’s down to a good copy or what but it’s fact . I initially was a bit wary of it as it tended to pull back on the zoom at times I.e changing to around 260mm with no rhyme or reason ,.just a loose fit really .
However I picked up a used Roesch tripod mount for it to give the wife some grip on it and that has stiffened up the whole assembly so it now stays at 300 mm when set .
And as I said the i.q is superb perhaps there are Monday and Friday examples of the lens out there , it was certainly a bargain as I paid less than £200 pounds for it

I own but rarely use one of the mk1 versions ,the wife has claimed it to use on her Olympus om.d10-mkii , I have to admit that at times shooting side by side with my 100-400 she does better than I do . Now I am not sure if it’s down to a good copy or what but it’s fact . I initially was a bit wary of it as it tended to pull back on the zoom at times I.e changing to around 260mm with no rhyme or reason ,.just a loose fit really .
However I picked up a used Roesch tripod mount for it to give the wife some grip on it and that has stiffened up the whole assembly so it now stays at 300 mm when set .
And as I said the i.q is superb perhaps there are Monday and Friday examples of the lens out there , it was certainly a bargain as I paid less than £200 pounds for it

Interesting! Yes, think I got mine for about £230 or so a while back! I think it is fantastic, and was just curious if anyone had the Mark 2. As you know, had the 100-400 for a while, but couldn't justify it - this does fit the bill nicely at the moment!

Well, Daisy is growing up, now nearly 12 weeks old and almost ready to meet other dogs (other than our Charlie who she absolutely loves). Panasonic G9 with Leica Nocticron 42,5mm F1.2 (@ F2)

Anyone have the Power OIS 100-300 vs the older mega OIS? I have the older MEGA OIS and overall am very happy with some of the shots I have got with it. Certainly is softer than the Lumix x telephoto but its very very more than adequate. A bit of judicious RAW processing and the results - to me - look tack on the money. But - that itch is suggesting I check out the newer one if its sufficiently better. Anyone any real world experience? Linked a couple from Central Park recently, all taken with the 100-300. Full res JPEG in the we transfer of both if anyone is interested in sharpness and detail from this kit.

View attachment 139531 View attachment 139532

https://we.tl/t-eTsGKGpVIx

The mkII has weather sealing and has quicker AF apparently, but I believe they are the same optically. I had the mk1 and thought it was pretty decent, sorry I sold it tbh.

The mkII has weather sealing and has quicker AF apparently, but I believe they are the same optically. I had the mk1 and thought it was pretty decent, sorry I sold it tbh.

Yes I think this will only be sold if I fail to find a replacement - the zoom length is too good! It all fits neatly in my lowepro bag - 12-35, 35-100 100-300, G80 and ample batteries!

Back