"Panasonic G series" Owners Thread

Oh dear,
I see things haven't changed in this thread.
Everything is fine as long as no one disagrees with a certain member, then the insults start.
Oh, and the irony......
Anyway, back to ignore .
:D:D:D

Oh dear,
I see things haven't changed in this thread.
Everything is fine as long as no one disagrees with a certain member, then the insults start.
Oh, and the irony......
Anyway, back to ignore .
:D:D:D

I don't know what thread you're reading, everything is always fine in here until someone comes in trying to stir sh*t for no reason, pretty plain to see who that was. Nobody minds disagreement, it's how it's put across, the plain "you're wrong and know nothing" mentality. Btw, calling someone a narky pedantic isn't insulting if it's true it's not hard read between the lines in the manner someone posts. Head to the Sony thread if you want to see a real mess. No idea why you're drawing more attention to a nothing argument, it's done with.

Last edited:
Since you've actually used both, what do you suggest for SsSsSsnake's daughter?

I did , the GX80 , from what I remember of the Sony it didn't feel right in the hand (I have slim hands ) I couldn't wait to get rid of it to honest whereas the GX80 just felt right.

I did , the GX80 , from what I remember of the Sony it didn't feel right in the hand (I have slim hands ) I couldn't wait to get rid of it to honest whereas the GX80 just felt right.

I see it now, sorry, as I said I literally popped in and replied to the question asked before all the nonsense side tracking. You're getting a GX9? Hdew have them for £499 just so you know ;)

Can't compare the Panasonic evf to Sony, but judged against any of my Fuji cameras (maybe except the X-E1) its very poor
I have had the GX80 and now got the GX9, knew what I was getting with the latter, but doesn't get over how ropey it is

Very hard to get sharp detail no matter what adjustments are made, never seen the tearing effect, but its still less than great anyway.
Rest of the camera is excellent, so price you have to pay, every camera has its weaknesses and on these two its the evf

Last edited:
Can't compare the Panasonic evf to Sony, but judged against any of my Fuji cameras (maybe except the X-E1) its very poor
I have had the GX80 and now the GX9, knew what I was getting with the latter, but doesn't get over how ropey it is

Very hard to get sharp detail no matter what adjustments are made, never seen the tearing effect, but its still less than great anyway.
Rest of the camera is excellent, so price you have to pay, every camera has its weaknesses and on these two its the evf

In the video I posted earlier Chris Nichols complains on the evf too, but more because of how shallow it is making it awkward to really get in there - adds that it would be really awkward for people wearing glasses. But he also says for the style of camera, you're likely to mostly use the excellent LCD anyway. I'd agree there, whenever I have a smaller flat body style camera, like the Fuji X100s or xpro1 I had for a bit, I did tend to mostly use the LCD. With the G80 I use the evf about 40% of the time as I do a lot of close up stills and it's just easier use the LCD. IBIS helps keep composition this way more than steady enough.

In the video I posted earlier Chris Nichols complains on the evf too, but more because of how shallow it is making it awkward to really get in there - adds that it would be really awkward for people wearing glasses. But he also says for the style of camera, you're likely to mostly use the excellent LCD anyway. I'd agree there, whenever I have a smaller flat body style camera, like the Fuji X100s or xpro1 I had for a bit, I did tend to mostly use the LCD. With the G80 I use the evf about 40% of the time as I do a lot of close up stills and it's just easier use the LCD. IBIS helps keep composition this way more than steady enough.

I think your G80 has a much better evf as does the GX8, shame they didn't use it at least on the GX9.
The extended eyecup you can get does help for eye relief distance and keeps a lot of stray light out, well worth the fifteen or so quid to me.
Personally use the LCD about 10% of the time so evf is quite important, but it does work for composition and that is the main thing.

Just seems strange to take such a retrograde step seeing as the GX9 is their premium rangefinder style body.
There again I still bought it so guess it wasn't a deal breaker, but why do something that you know will get picked up on in a negative way

I think your G80 has a much better evf as does the GX8, shame they didn't use it at least on the GX9.
The extended eyecup you can get does help for eye relief distance and keeps a lot of stray light out, well worth the fifteen or so quid to me.
Personally use the LCD about 10% of the time so evf is quite important, but it does work for composition and that is the main thing.

Just seems strange to take such a retrograde step seeing as the GX9 is their premium rangefinder style body.
There again I still bought it so guess it wasn't a deal breaker, but why do something that you know will get picked up on in a negative way

I agree, I was really surprised to hear they used the same evf on the GX9, if you know this going in then it's not as bad but for anyone who bought one expecting a big evf upgrade, disappointing

WOW!!!! where? You're near me so I want to go too!!!!

I don't live there, I was there for a month about 7-8 years back :) One was Forest park, directly across from the St. Louis children's hospital - the one that leads to the zoo - the other was Laffayette park

Near him,you mean you live in Ireland?

Good luck finding those birds over here :D

Last edited:
I give up!Sprry guys it was our work Christmas do today so can I blame that! Ultimately - I'm keen to photo these as I live close ish to the black fox (north west!) haha!

A question for any G9 owners with Olympus glass, specifically the 12-100 f/4 and 300 f/4.
If you turn the IS off on the lens does the the G9 IBIS remain active? Or does all of the image stabilisation get turned off as a result?
Cheers.

A question for any G9 owners with Olympus glass, specifically the 12-100 f/4 and 300 f/4.
If you turn the IS off on the lens does the the G9 IBIS remain active? Or does all of the image stabilisation get turned off as a result?
Cheers.

I don't own a G9 or either of those lenses, but I'm pretty certain that the G9 IBIS will remain active until you manually switch it off. It should be no different to my G80 + Oly 12-40 2.8, as in, the IBIS works well with it [the 12-40 does not have OIS but you get the idea, Pany bodies will still maintain IBIS with Oly lenses]

I give up!Sprry guys it was our work Christmas do today so can I blame that! Ultimately - I'm keen to photo these as I live close ish to the black fox (north west!) haha!

Easy mistake-a-ta-make-a :D You got me mixed up with fox for a moment is all, he does indeed live in Wales and many of the bird shots you see him posting are probably not far from where you're at. I'm in Ireland, I just mentioned I've seen similar birds in the States when I visited a few years back ... you had me starting to wonder where you over there! :D

Last edited:
Recently purchased a GX80 and 12-32 lens as a travel camera but could not resist adding a 12-60mm. This was taken with the 12-60 3.5-5.6. Im' very impressed with the quality having moved a few years ago from M43 to Fuji.
44505815800_6522f6d740_k.jpg

Outside John Lewis on the greyhound park ,chester

I don't own a G9 or either of those lenses, but I'm pretty certain that the G9 IBIS will remain active until you manually switch it off. It should be no different to my G80 + Oly 12-40 2.8, as in, the IBIS works well with it [the 12-40 does not have OIS but you get the idea, Pany bodies will still maintain IBIS with Oly lenses]

Thanks Keith, like you I also have the 12-40 but I was curious with regard to my 12-100 and 300 as they are the only two of my Pro lenses that have in lens stabilisation.

When mounted on my E-M1 MkII the switch on the lens controls whether all stabilisation is turned off or on.
I have just found this http://av.jpn.support.panasonic.com/support/global/cs/dsc/connect/g9.html which seems to suggest that only the in lens OIS works with the G9 when these two lenses are fitted (IBIS is disabled).

I've always been curious/interested in the G9 and with the latest reduction in price and cashback I thought I would go and have a look at one :)

Last edited:
Thanks I’ll head over this afternoon fingers crossed!!!!! Is there a local update site at all for these that borders have set up at all?
quiet a few facebook groups covering Cheshire and wirral /north Wales etc .. I think Sunday might be worth a go IF there still about after this weather , I'm literally on the edge of the dee estuary atop a hill with nothing in front bar the Irish Sea , and I have stuff blowing all round the garden ... anyway here's another shot
hang about by jeff and jan cohen, on Flickr

I enjoyed that, makes me feel good about owning one. :D

At 3:00 into this review he shows how good the LCD is in bright light, and at 6:00m he talks about the evf. His only complaint is that it's too small physically, to get your eye in close, and says pretty much what I just did, that it's not a big issue as the LCD is good enough for composition
The LCD is good. And I shoot from waist level most of the time with LCD pointing up and it's near impossible for the sun to catch it.

Last edited:
Nice set.

All is forgiven for your earlier wooden spoonisms

#3 .... I like most.

Back