"Panasonic G series" Owners Thread

Certainly makes a difference, I agree that firmware often fixes other things, some publicised, others not.

I didn't notice any significant improvement when I updated the 45-150, but that possibly has a lesser form of OIS to begin with

My Canon 55-250 lens arrived this morn, pity the adapter hasn't yet grrrr .....

I should probably add some context for anyone who didn't read the last few pages and wondering why I posted this in here - I will be adapting it to the G80 via a Viltrox EF to M43 AF adapter. Eager to see how it'll perform

Last edited:
I believe dualIS adds about half a stop, which could be significant at very slow shutter speeds. The FW may have fixed other minor things that helped improve it too.
The 45-150 without OIS is quite reasonable on the GX7 with the IS enabled...

Panasonic GX7 8GB 09 P1130399.JPG

I should probably add some context for anyone who didn't read the last few pages and wondering why I posted this in here - I will be adapting it to the G80 via a Viltrox EF to M43 AF adapter. Eager to see how it'll perform

I look forward to seeing the results and how well the af works.

I look forward to seeing the results and how well the af works.

I can't wait to try it, sucks that it didn't arrive for the weekend, the light was actually lovely outside today for birds. I'd expect it here Mon morn at least. From what I've seen and read it should AF nippy enough for what I need, you don't get C-AF afaik, but I shoot S-AF pretty much all the time anyway

I own a Panasonic GX80 and I'm curious to know if anyone can recommend a budget friendly lens that produces good star bursts? I'm aware that a lot of lenses, like my oly 17mm , have rounded aperture blades and while the bokeh can be decent, it's not great for starbursts. And, no I don't want to use any filters to create them. I'm thinking the Panasonic 14mm f2.5 ii. Any other suggestions? Picture examples would be a massive help. Thank you.

I own a Panasonic GX80 and I'm curious to know if anyone can recommend a budget friendly lens that produces good star bursts? I'm aware that a lot of lenses, like my oly 17mm , have rounded aperture blades and while the bokeh can be decent, it's not great for starbursts. And, no I don't want to use any filters to create them. I'm thinking the Panasonic 14mm f2.5 ii. Any other suggestions? Picture examples would be a massive help. Thank you.

It's not something I go after, but from what little I know lenses with even number aperture blades give the best star burst effect when stopped down. SO that's a good place to start researching - doesn't matter the format or make or model

My understanding is that an even number of blades will give you as many lines in a starburst and an odd number of blades will give you twice as many. So, 7 blades will give you 14 lines and 6 would give you 6. Also, a lot of lenses have rounded aperture blades for good bokeh, but the straighter blades are better for the starburst effect. I got some nice starburst effects with my Fuji 16-50mm OIS ii on an x-t10 I had a couple of yrs ago. The budget kit lens. So, maybe I'll check out the specs for that lens first and see if there's an MFT equivalent.

My understanding is that an even number of blades will give you as many lines in a starburst and an odd number of blades will give you twice as many. So, 7 blades will give you 14 lines and 6 would give you 6. Also, a lot of lenses have rounded aperture blades for good bokeh, but the straighter blades are better for the starburst effect. I got some nice starburst effects with my Fuji 16-50mm OIS ii on an x-t10 I had a couple of yrs ago. The budget kit lens. So, maybe I'll check out the specs for that lens first and see if there's an MFT equivalent.

Seems about right, I think even bladed apertures give a 'cleaner' burst, but you can achieve a nice burst with most straight bladed aperture lenses, so long as you can stop down to F22 - where you get the best effect - it is caused by diffraction after all

Viltrox EF-M1 arrived this morn, updated the FW right away and just gave a quick tester in the garden. So fa so good, AF is pretty nippy, it did hunt a couple of times but I would say it performs no worse than the Pany 100-300. It's a bit neater and lighter too even with the adapter - Phone cam image perspective makes it look a little bugger here than it is

55250.jpg

I wonder how older non STM lenses would perform on it?

Last edited:
A couple of SOOC JPEG testers, just looking for CA, sharpness etc ... looks to be a very nice performer without any help

P1040352 by K G, on Flickr

P1040358 by K G, on Flickr

P1040342 by K G, on Flickr

Not sure why the first 2 won't show when I submit the post, they show in the preview

Last edited:
looks good to me Keith do you retain a/f with the viltrox.. I still have my MFT-nikon adaptor and keep pondering sticking the G80 on the sigma 150-600 C to see what its like .. just need a static subject though and that's where it all goes tits up in my head

looks good to me Keith do you retain a/f with the viltrox.. I still have my MFT-nikon adaptor and keep pondering sticking the G80 on the sigma 150-600 C to see what its like .. just need a static subject though and that's where it all goes tits up in my head

You get full control as if it were a native lens, though AF is a bit more hit and miss if you're trying to snap focus onto something specific. I would compare it more to older AF lenses, but quieter. I'll have to fiddle with the AF settings on cam as it is focusing even when I'm not half pressing, think it'll improve if I stop that. I'm not sure if C-AF works so well, I never use that but will give it a go in a bit. I doubt it would be reliable enough for anything fast moving. IBIS works perfectly fine, seems that you switch between that and the lens OIS via the switch on the lens itself, I can hear it kick in when I switch that on, I presume this then cancels out IBIS

Looking good Keith, hows the build quality on the adapter?

Here's a few quick pics of the Viltrox adapter just to show it's mostly all metal - that might be hard to tell from the images but the whole outer shell is metal and feels prety tough. The only flimsy bit is that lever you see image 1 - that is for aperture control, afaik it is actually best not touched, I haven't and aperture control from the camera is just fine. Only the inner section is plastic but that seems to just hold the cpu contacts. The tripod mount is also metal and can be removed, you get an alan key in the box. Attached to the lens it feels solid, no play, it's actually better built than the butt end of this particular lens - as that has a plastic mount - and it's as snug and solid when attached to the camera. No wobbles or play at all on the one I got at least, which is nice :)

viltrox1.jpg

viltrox2.jpg

viltrox3.jpg

Last edited:

Hi Cagey75
Can you let me know where you bought the Viltrox adapter please? Thinking of getting one for the hubby to try on Olympus EM1 ii. Thanks. Ceri

Hi everyone,

I was just wondering if there's an adaptor for the hot shoe on the G80 which will allow me to use a Nikon ring flash on it?
Not too bothered about auto, manual will do, but I don't want to fry my camera. Lol.

Cheers

Hi Cagey75
Can you let me know where you bought the Viltrox adapter please? Thinking of getting one for the hubby to try on Olympus EM1 ii. Thanks. Ceri

Sure thing :) I got it here: https://www.lensadapter4u.com/viltrox-ef-m1

I had that site bookmarked for ages, they were out of stock last time I went to buy one, just happened to check back in recently. I've seen the same adapter go for anything up to £200 on other sites so bit of a bargain. Just make sure to update the FW soon as you get it [a couple of the updates were em1 mkii specific], it's a simple case of connecting it via usb to a desktop, download the FW, unzip and pop it into the empty folder from the Viltrox. It will update and close and you're good to go

Last edited:
First [apparent] Images of the G80 successor!

https://www.nokis***a-camera.com/2019/03/blog-post_26.html

[edit] link won't work because it has s**t within it LOL. Replace the stars with 'hit'

Looks to be more styled on the G9, similar rugged body grip and crown - this 'G90'? also includes dedicated ISO and WB buttons, nice. No other real details but this is cool for us G80 owners. One thing I never liked about it was the front grip, I had to return mine because that had started to peel away and also the bottom left hinge cover for the LCD came off - this happened to a number of G80 owners. The replacement I got has been much more solid, I have it longer now and everything is still in place so could have been the earlier batches. This looks a bit tougher and beefier, has me intrigued. What I'd like to see:

• updated sensor
  • an improved IBIS system
  • Better evf [if you look, the evf section protrudes a little more and is a different style, maybe the evf from the G9?
  • Competitively priced to match the A6400 and XT30 - I'm out if they go above that, would just get a used G9
I would add improved controls but they've added the ISO and WB buttons so that's a good part of that - looks to be a spin dial in place of the direction buttons, display button has been moved, so no longer within the grip, play button is now easier reach with your thumb and you don't have to worry about accidentally hitting the Q menu instead, ergonomically it looks improved to me.

What I think it won't have to keep the G9 above it - High res modes, 6K stills, IBIS won't be quite as good but close, WR won't be as reliable it'll be the same as the G80 good just not great, evf might be slightly lower res but better than the G80, dual card slots.

Last edited:
Here's a few quick pics of the Viltrox adapter just to show it's mostly all metal - that might be hard to tell from the images but the whole outer shell is metal and feels prety tough. The only flimsy bit is that lever you see image 1 - that is for aperture control, afaik it is actually best not touched, I haven't and aperture control from the camera is just fine. Only the inner section is plastic but that seems to just hold the cpu contacts. The tripod mount is also metal and can be removed, you get an alan key in the box. Attached to the lens it feels solid, no play, it's actually better built than the butt end of this particular lens - as that has a plastic mount - and it's as snug and solid when attached to the camera. No wobbles or play at all on the one I got at least, which is nice :)

View attachment 240627

View attachment 240628

View attachment 240629

Thanks Keith, I'm considering the viltrox adapter for my m50, as my meike one appears to be packing up. £80 for this one seems really good value, I'm kind of wondering how my 150-600 would adapt on my daughters g7 or my dads g80 (he also has the 70-300is too)

First [apparent] Images of the G80 successor!

https://www.nokis***a-camera.com/2019/03/blog-post_26.html

[edit] link won't work because it has s**t within it LOL. Replace the stars with 'hit'

Looks to be more styled on the G9, similar rugged body grip and crown - this 'G90'? also includes dedicated ISO and WB buttons, nice. No other real details but this is cool for us G80 owners. One thing I never liked about it was the front grip, I had to return mine because that had started to peel away and also the bottom left hinge cover for the LCD came off - this happened to a number of G80 owners. The replacement I got has been much more solid, I have it longer now and everything is still in place so could have been the earlier batches. This looks a bit tougher and beefier, has me intrigued. What I'd like to see:

• updated sensor
  • an improved IBIS system
  • Better evf [if you look, the evf section protrudes a little more and is a different style, maybe the evf from the G9?
  • Competitively priced to match the A6400 and XT30 - I'm out if they go above that, would just get a used G9
I would add improved controls but they've added the ISO and WB buttons so that's a good part of that - looks to be a spin dial in place of the direction buttons, display button has been moved, so no longer within the grip, play button is now easier reach with your thumb and you don't have to worry about accidentally hitting the Q menu instead, ergonomically it looks improved to me.

What I think it won't have to keep the G9 above it - High res modes, 6K stills, IBIS won't be quite as good but close, WR won't be as reliable it'll be the same as the G80 good just not great, evf might be slightly lower res but better than the G80, dual card slots.

Like the look of it, shame no joystick for af selection, can't be long though before the new specs are leaked.

Like the look of it, shame no joystick for af selection, can't be long though before the new specs are leaked.

I would probably never really use a joystick, not when touch screen works so well on these cameras, no need.

Thanks Keith, I'm considering the viltrox adapter for my m50, as my meike one appears to be packing up. £80 for this one seems really good value, I'm kind of wondering how my 150-600 would adapt on my daughters g7 or my dads g80 (he also has the 70-300is too)

The one they make for EOS-M should work even better as the M series are designed to co-operate with EF and EF-S lenses to begin with, just make sure you find the right model, don't see one for the M on the site I linked

Sure thing [emoji4] I got it here: https://www.lensadapter4u.com/viltrox-ef-m1

I had that site bookmarked for ages, they were out of stock last time I went to buy one, just happened to check back in recently. I've seen the same adapter go for anything up to £200 on other sites so bit of a bargain. Just make sure to update the FW soon as you get it [a couple of the updates were em1 mkii specific], it's a simple case of connecting it via usb to a desktop, download the FW, unzip and pop it into the empty folder from the Viltrox. It will update and close and you're good to go

Cheers Cagey75. Just ordered one. Thanks.

Last edited:
I get quite nice starbursts from the Panny 25/1.4, hth.

@stickytape Do you have any samples of images shot with your 200 2.8 on the EF-M1? I've fancied that lens for a while but can't find any info on how it performs on that adapter, found a vid showing it working very nicely on the EF-M2 but it might behave differently. Would love to see some images shot with the combination I would be using.

@stickytape Do you have any samples of images shot with your 200 2.8 on the EF-M1? I've fancied that lens for a while but can't find any info on how it performs on that adapter, found a vid showing it working very nicely on the EF-M2 but it might behave differently. Would love to see some images shot with the combination I would be using.

Certainly should be able to! I'll upload in a bit!

Certainly should be able to! I'll upload in a bit!

Sweet. How well would you say it performs on the EF-M1 in general?

If anyone is handy at mending lenses there's a PL 100-400 on MPB going for £299 - neither AF or MF works [I might have bought it if it was still good for MF only] - but they say the lens condition is fine. Must be duffed motors or something so not an easy fix, but some people are good at that sort of thing

Well.. I've been a naughty boy and have bought a Canon M50 again!! And I had kept the adapters etc, so I can say that... the M50 and adapter does perform better with the Canon lens; Mostly noticeable in continue AF mode, which works really good. There is a bit less "jittery" ness as well; However, the 200mm 2.8 is one of the better performers on the G80 I have noticed - much better than with the Tamron 11-18 or 17-50 etc; Being totally honest, yes better on the Canon, but then again yo would expect that (or certainly hope for it!). When you consider the adanctages of the G80 over the M50 though (much much better features and usability, plus the obvious 2x focal length advantage) so for now - I'm happy running both systems, if that makes sense. However if I could get a good offer for the G80 and the 100-300 I would sell that one; I think keeping the x2 2.8 lens is worth it, as theses are genuinely good lens and don't tend to drop in value as much as bodies!

In terms of that 100-400.. that sounds nice!!! I'm tempt but would not really know what to do! I have to say though, using the Canon 100-400 on either the G80 or th eM50 isn't totally massive.. I think the size of it is pretty good considering.

Quick question, anyone uses the Olympus 60mm macro on the G9, the 60mm i have used on Olympus and was delighted with it.

Well.. I've been a naughty boy and have bought a Canon M50 again!! And I had kept the adapters etc, so I can say that... the M50 and adapter does perform better with the Canon lens; Mostly noticeable in continue AF mode, which works really good. There is a bit less "jittery" ness as well; However, the 200mm 2.8 is one of the better performers on the G80 I have noticed - much better than with the Tamron 11-18 or 17-50 etc; Being totally honest, yes better on the Canon, but then again yo would expect that (or certainly hope for it!). When you consider the adanctages of the G80 over the M50 though (much much better features and usability, plus the obvious 2x focal length advantage) so for now - I'm happy running both systems, if that makes sense. However if I could get a good offer for the G80 and the 100-300 I would sell that one; I think keeping the x2 2.8 lens is worth it, as theses are genuinely good lens and don't tend to drop in value as much as bodies!

In terms of that 100-400.. that sounds nice!!! I'm tempt but would not really know what to do! I have to say though, using the Canon 100-400 on either the G80 or th eM50 isn't totally massive.. I think the size of it is pretty good considering.

Makes sense it would perform on the Canon even via an adapter, it's practically native. I'm happy enough with how the 55-250 performs, I never use continous AF modes, for single point AF it's fine, it jitters a bit but in good light it's no worse than the 100-300 mk1 tbh, I found that one pretty sluggish for a native lens. I was thinking on trading the 55-250 in against a 200 2.8 they have going pretty cheap - I wouldn't keep both, but now I might just stick with this and get a macro instead. I would use a macro just as much or even more than any tele lens. And the 55-250 is good enough for the birds and general out and about, it also focuses nice and close for a tele at 85cm, that's twice as close as the Pany 100-300 can get you and I would say the IQ of the Canon is just as good. The Pany would be obviously better in many way, you can use C-AF no problem with the mkII, it's weather sealed and you get the dual IS ... but for £200 more ... naaaah.

Quick question, anyone uses the Olympus 60mm macro on the G9, the 60mm i have used on Olympus and was delighted with it.

I've been considering this lens for the G80, I know a few have used that combo on here in the past and it was nice and zippy for normal use and sharp as you like for macro. But I'm also considering a Canon 100mm 2.8, now that I have a useful enough adapter. It would offer more working distance, and AF speed for macro doesn't matter to me, as I always shoot macro completely manually. Focus, SS, ISO the lot. I don't trust any camera to get it the way I like it for extreme close ups.

Makes sense it would perform on the Canon even via an adapter, it's practically native. I'm happy enough with how the 55-250 performs, I never use continous AF modes, for single point AF it's fine, it jitters a bit but in good light it's no worse than the 100-300 mk1 tbh, I found that one pretty sluggish for a native lens. I was thinking on trading the 55-250 in against a 200 2.8 they have going pretty cheap - I wouldn't keep both, but now I might just stick with this and get a macro instead. I would use a macro just as much or even more than any tele lens. And the 55-250 is good enough for the birds and general out and about, it also focuses nice and close for a tele at 85cm, that's twice as close as the Pany 100-300 can get you and I would say the IQ of the Canon is just as good. The Pany would be obviously better in many way, you can use C-AF no problem with the mkII, it's weather sealed and you get the dual IS ... but for £200 more ... naaaah.

Yes - yo got me thinking about trading in the 100-300 Panny I got; MPB would offer £210 as well which is pretty decent; The 200mm 2.8 is a Stella performer - and there is not too much difference between the newer 100-300 and the older 100-300. Need to research the Canon 70-300 DO as my local LCE has one in for £299 which doesn't seem too bad. Tempted to bring my M50 or G80 to work to go have a play with one.

Yes - yo got me thinking about trading in the 100-300 Panny I got; MPB would offer £210 as well which is pretty decent; The 200mm 2.8 is a Stella performer - and there is not too much difference between the newer 100-300 and the older 100-300. Need to research the Canon 70-300 DO as my local LCE has one in for £299 which doesn't seem too bad. Tempted to bring my M50 or G80 to work to go have a play with one.

Not sure what you did above lol, fixed it for ya here :D

I'd not heard of the DO 70-300, doesn't seem to be highly rated on the likes of DXO, but then again, nor is the 55-250 and I find it plenty sharp enough.

The 100-300 Pany is a bit of a slug for a native lens, the mkII has to be better though I haven't used it, just read about it. The 55-250 would be a cracker on your M50 and IMO it works just fine on the G80. It won't work on your focal reducer version and won't work on your 6D, but the fact it'll work decent on your M50 and G80 I think it's worth the £120 [HDEW] - peanuts for such a lens - only one downer is that it doesn't come with a lens hood, but you can get cheapo ones on ebay for a few quid

Not sure what you did above lol, fixed it for ya here [emoji1]

I'd not heard of the DO 70-300, doesn't seem to be highly rated on the likes of DXO, but then again, nor is the 55-250 and I find it plenty sharp enough.

The 100-300 Pany is a bit of a slug for a native lens, the mkII has to be better though I haven't used it, just read about it. The 55-250 would be a cracker on your M50 and IMO it works just fine on the G80. It won't work on your focal reducer version and won't work on your 6D, but the fact it'll work decent on your M50 and G80 I think it's worth the £120 [HDEW] - peanuts for such a lens - only one downer is that it doesn't come with a lens hood, but you can get cheapo ones on ebay for a few quid

No idea, fingers like sausages! Going into LCe tomorrow to try it out! Tempted with the 55-250 - is that the STM one you got? I’ll try them both out tomorrow and see! Have to say, just tried the 200mm on the G80 and I was blown away at how quick it focuses - 400mm at 2.8 is just perfect! Didn’t have time to trawls the Photos library to find some from the G70 and 200 mm (unless anyone knows a way to quickly find shots taken with certain equipment in Photos?) so grabbed a few of stuff in the kitchen in RAW and whacked them on the link below for now! Think I’ll treat myself this weekend togoinf our with the G80 and 200mm though - it deserves to be used!

https://we.tl/t-tbC7jr2xDf

Last edited:
Back