"Panasonic G series" Owners Thread

No idea, fingers like sausages! Going into LCe tomorrow to try it out! Tempted with the 55-250 - is that the STM one you got? I’ll try them both out tomorrow and see! Have to say, just tried the 200mm on the G80 and I was blown away at how quick it focuses - 400mm at 2.8 is just perfect! Didn’t have time to trawls the Photos library to find some from the G70 and 200 mm (unless anyone knows a way to quickly find shots taken with certain equipment in Photos?) so grabbed a few of stuff in the kitchen in RAW and whacked them on the link below for now! Think I’ll treat myself this weekend togoinf our with the G80 and 200mm though - it deserves to be used!

Yeah it's the STM version, it's a plastic fantastic but the IQ is better than the build quality suggests.

The 200 2.8 looks great, I might come back to that idea but will mess about with this one for now as I also want to get a decent macro/portrait lens. Just inquiring about one in classified here, the Canon 100 2.8, older version. Afaik it's optically as good as the newer L variant, just doesn't have IS - which of course we don't need with a G80 ;)

Canon 70-300 DO IS is on its way from LCE. Found one for the very good price of £199 which I think it a bargain actually checking online prices!

Interesting to see how this is! MIGHT arrive tomorrow if I'm lucky!

Canon 70-300 DO IS is on its way from LCE. Found one for the very good price of £199 which I think it a bargain actually checking online prices!

Interesting to see how this is! MIGHT arrive tomorrow if I'm lucky!

Nice, be sure to post up your findings. I like that that one doesn't extend when zooming.

I've pondered all week on buying a 100mm macro, it is something I enjoy shooting and I know I'll get use out of it - but at the same time I know there's more cheap and cheerful methods of getting 1:1 or more macro. I sold off a Raynox 250 a while back, should have kept it as it'll turn any lens above 80-90mm into a solid macro lens, even with a 60mm you get 1:2. Might just buy another and try it on the 55-250, I feel the lens is plenty sharp enough for that purpose, and from 100mm up you're going beyond 1:1 [over 2:1 at the 250mm end which is insane] it's also nice and light. Only problem with this method is you get a much reduced working distance. But I have been eye to eye with bugs and they rarely get spooked, more likely they'll spook me! :D

Also considered the Oly 60mm macro, nice tidy little lens that reportedly has fast AF for standard to close up use, and has limiters for going beyond to help speed AF if needed there too. But I would generally MF for macro, anything beyond 1:2 MF is much more precise and reliable.

First time on Panasonic thread... So I was wondering if there were any GM5 users here?
Just wanted some feedback on the body.
I previously owned a LX100 and LX100ii both of which I liked a lot.
I was looking to get back into IR photography but I am not interested in FF for this and would like as small a body as possible with other compromises considered. The GM5 seems to have a great sensor and pairing it with the oly 9-18mm makes for a nice small combo. Panasonic's contrast detection is a nice plus since it works for all light frequencies.

First time on Panasonic thread... So I was wondering if there were any GM5 users here?
I was looking to get back into IR photography but I am not interested in FF for this and would like as small a body as possible with other compromises considered. The GM5 seems to have a great sensor and pairing it with the oly 9-18mm makes for a nice small combo. Panasonic's contrast detection is a nice plus since it works for all light frequencies.

Why the Gm5 specifically? It's hard find one on the cheap, as it has a bit of a cult following. For the same money you could get a GX80, have the tilt lcd and more up to date tech

Not been an easy decision but have had to admit again the weight of Nikon gear is too much for me now, this is the 3rd time, should have this little lot tomorrow,

View attachment 240919

View attachment 240921

View attachment 240920

I'm still pondering on the 60mm macro ... I was going to buy a Canon 100mm 2.8 as I have the AF adapter, and the 100mm would have better working distance but ... a native lens will always have much better AF [for general purpose, I MF mostly for actual macro] and 60mm would be more ideal for portraits. It's also a funky looking little lens, I love the style of it :D

Why the Gm5 specifically? It's hard find one on the cheap, as it has a bit of a cult following. For the same money you could get a GX80, have the tilt lcd and more up to date tech

its smaller and weighs half as much as GX80. Lack of tilt LCD is not a big deal.
I have seen a few for £250 body only. Ideally would like to get one around £175-200 if possible.

its smaller and weighs half as much as GX80. Lack of tilt LCD is not a big deal.
I have seen a few for £250 body only. Ideally would like to get one around £175-200 if possible.

It is a rather dinky little thing for sure. Not seen anyone in here in a long while mention using one though

yeah the GM5+9-18 would be just over 350g. Not to mention rather small.
Just need to find one at good price.

I've seem them go for £500, crazy! Nice an' all as it is, it's pretty old school now and lacking a lot of features the more up to date M43 bodies have, even the lower end ones like the Gx800 - pretty much an up to date Gm5, kind of - doesn't have an evf. The evf on the Gm5 was a bit pants anyway. But let Mr. Thorpe show you why that doesn't matter

Last edited:
I've seem them go for £500, crazy! Nice an' all as it is, it's pretty old school now and lacking a lot of features the more up to date M43 bodies have, even the lower end ones like the Gx800 - pretty much an up to date Gm5, kind of - doesn't have an evf. The evf on the Gm5 was a bit pants anyway. But let Mr. Thorpe show you why that doesn't matter

when you put it that way £250 doesn't sound bad lol.

So for me the main concerns are the size, decent sensor and to some extent the EVF. This camera will be converted for infrared shooting, so will be mostly used in bright sunlight (hence useful to have EVF) and around base ISO. I'll also mostly use it with one lens i.e. oly 9-18mm. The rest is not so important for me.

GM5 seems to tick most boxes I want nicely. Granted EVF isn't the best but to get anything better I'd also have to put up with bigger body/lens. So its a compromise I am willing to make.

Last edited:
when you put it that way £250 doesn't sound bad lol.

So for me the main concerns are the size, decent sensor and to some extent the EVF. This camera will be converted for infrared shooting, so will be mostly used in bright sunlight (hence useful to have EVF) and around base ISO. I'll also mostly use it with one lens i.e. oly 9-18mm. The rest is not so important for me.

GM5 seems to tick most boxes I want nicely. Granted EVF isn't the best but to get anything better I'd also have to put up with bigger body/lens. So its a compromise I am willing to make.

Never used the 9-18, it gets very mixed reviews, but it's cheap considering the FL - the equiv would be 18-36 on FF and by any standards that is pretty damn wide. There is wider of course, but I'm sure you don't want to go there - unless it's more than just a tingling? then look at the Laowa 7.5mm F2 [rectilinear] - if price isn't a major factor, nor AF ... It would be so sweet on a wee Gm5! It's not an expensive lens, but might be if it's just a project or specific reason lens purchase, I just know that many M43 WA users love that lens. have a peek about it https://www.laowalens.co.uk/laowa-7-5mm-f2-lens-mft.html

Last edited:
Never used the 9-18, it gets very mixed reviews, but it's cheap considering the FL - the equiv would be 18-36 on FF and by any standards that is pretty damn wide.

I had the 9-18 for a little while, wasn't for me, handy for those wider angles, but overall a very average lens.
Edge sharpness left a lot to be desired and needed good light to be even reasonably effective

Never used the 9-18, it gets very mixed reviews, but it's cheap considering the FL - the equiv would be 18-36 on FF and by any standards that is pretty damn wide. There is wider of course, but I'm sure you don't want to go there - unless it's more than just a tingling? then look at the Laowa 7.5mm F2 [rectilinear] - if price isn't a major factor, nor AF ... It would be so sweet on a wee Gm5! It's not an expensive lens, but might be if it's just a project or specific reason lens purchase, I just know that many M43 WA users love that lens. have a peek about it https://www.laowalens.co.uk/laowa-7-5mm-f2-lens-mft.html

I did think about the Laowa 7.5mm and I may well add it in the future if all else works out with m43 :)
It's not actually that much smaller than 9-18mm.

My previous infrared set ups were nex5n+10-18mm, nex7+10-18mm and A7+16-35mm. (Notice the increase in size with each iteration... And I almost never carried the A7 combo because of size).
In all cases I only had f4 And most of my shots are between ISO100-400. The 9-18mm is one stop slower at long end but I am sure it can handle ISO800. But then at the same time I don't need to stop down much for DoF on m43.
Also 9-18mm isn't as wide as the other two lens but it's a fair bit smaller. So it's a compromise I felt was worth it.

Other option I considered a canon EOS M body with 11-22mm or Laowa 9mm f2.8. but 11mm on canon APS-C isn't any wider, I'd lose out on the EVF and at base ISO GM5 sensor is actually better! As mentioned above I will almost never shoot high ISO.

I had the 9-18 for a little while, wasn't for me, handy for those wider angles, but overall a very average lens.
Edge sharpness left a lot to be desired and needed good light to be even reasonably effective

you sold it at a nice price. Wish I had picked it up :(

Last edited:
I did think about the Laowa 7.5mm and I may well add it in the future if all else works out with m43 :)
you sold it so a nice price. Wish I had picked it up :(

Think I sold it for £245 with the hood, no point hanging on to something I would never use

My previous infrared set ups were nex5n+10-18mm, nex7+10-18mm and A7+16-35mm. (Notice the increase in size with each iteration... And I almost never carried the A7 combo because of size).
In all cases I only had f4 And most of my shots are between ISO100-400. The 9-18mm is one stop slower at long end but I am sure it can handle ISO800. But then at the same time I don't need to stop down much for DoF on m43.
Also 9-18mm isn't as wide as the other two lens but it's a fair bit smaller. So it's a compromise I felt was worth it.

Other option I considered a canon EOS M body with 11-22mm or Laowa 9mm f2.8. but 11mm on canon APS-C isn't any wider, I'd lose out on the EVF and at base ISO GM5 sensor is actually better! As mentioned above I will almost never shoot high ISO.

you sold it at a nice price. Wish I had picked it up :(

I'm not sure how much things have progressed sensor wise with the m43 16mp side, but that's what my G80 has and apart from when I want finer details maintained I'll use it up to 6400 if I have to. Coming straight from FF you will obviously get a shock but it passes ;) I think iso performance outside of very specific cases in general is over rated.

Last edited:
I'm not sure how much things have progressed sensor wise with the m43 16mp side, but that's what my G80 has and apart from when I want finer details maintained I'll use it up to 6400 if I have to. Coming straight from FF you will obviously get a shock but it passes ;) I think iso performance outside of very specific cases in general is over rated.
Remember I said I had LX100 and LX100ii. :)
I know what to expect and since I don't need high ISO it's a moot point to discuss anyway.

I know the Panasonic interface and I know my way around them. I have owned CM1, LX100, LX100ii and currently own LX15. All in all these have been great to use. Hoping GM5 is no different.

Only downside I see is being unable to charge batteries via. camera USB. But then no other options I have considered provides this. So I can't really complain in this area. All i can hope for is panasonic releasing an GM5 body update in future.

Last edited:

Hi nandbytes, I have this wonderful little camera and here are a few pics for those who are not familiar :D

i-DbRS8LZ-L.jpg

i-Km39QvF-L.jpg

i-tPPsJJz-L.jpg

i-tQzjLtd-L.jpg

i-VqRFrfT-L.jpg

I can understand why these are difficult to get hold off without paying 'through the nose' perfectly formed (much like myself)
and giving nothing away in IQ to the larger m4/3rds bodies. Where else can you hold a m4/3rds body + 12-32mm & 35-100mm
stablised lens (24mm - 200m in 35mm speak) in the palm of your hand ? total weight less than 500 gms.
I do not use mine a lot (shutter count 405) but when I want to travel light or cycle with a camera this is brilliant.
I find the evf perfectly usuable. People pay many £100's for Sony RX100 cameras and accept the small evf as necessary in a small body.
I owned a RX100 mk3 and this GM5 evf is as good or better.

Yep, I'm having a love affair with a camera. :kiss:

Hi nandbytes, I have this wonderful little camera and here are a few pics for those who are not familiar :D

i-DbRS8LZ-L.jpg

i-Km39QvF-L.jpg

i-tPPsJJz-L.jpg

i-tQzjLtd-L.jpg

i-VqRFrfT-L.jpg

I can understand why these are difficult to get hold off without paying 'through the nose' perfectly formed (much like myself)
and giving nothing away in IQ to the larger m4/3rds bodies. Where else can you hold a m4/3rds body + 12-32mm & 35-100mm
stablised lens (24mm - 200m in 35mm speak) in the palm of your hand ? total weight less than 500 gms.
I do not use mine a lot (shutter count 405) but when I want to travel light or cycle with a camera this is brilliant.
I find the evf perfectly usuable. People pay many £100's for Sony RX100 cameras and accept the small evf as necessary in a small body.

Thanks for the feedback exactly what I expected. Wouldn't consider selling me yours? ;)

I have negotiated £225 for one with 6 months warranty.
How do you guys feel about the price?
No box, but comes with all the accessories inc. flash (not that I care for the flash)

GM5 with 12-32 is one of my favourite combinations. The zoom ring on the 12-32 recently came off but as per the advice I got from the net a bit of double sided tape solved the problem. I really don’t know why Panasonic have not brought out an updated model ( I only miss 4K video ).

Remember I said I had LX100 and LX100ii. :)
I know what to expect and since I don't need high ISO it's a moot point to discuss anyway.

I know the Panasonic interface and I know my way around them. I have owned CM1, LX100, LX100ii and currently own LX15. All in all these have been great to use. Hoping GM5 is no different.

Only downside I see is being unable to charge batteries via. camera USB. But then no other options I have considered provides this. So I can't really complain in this area. All i can hope for is panasonic releasing an GM5 body update in future.

I have never charged any camera ever via usb, I think it's weird that people expect it these days. I'm sure it's fine, but I'd rather not. Like I said, the Gx800/850 is about as close to an update as you're likely to get. People have been crying out for it for years, but I feel it's more a nostalgia thing as when it was released I believe it was one of their poorest selling cameras, hence no official upgrade since. Anyway, you know what you're doing, you know more about the camera than I do :D was just trying to help, best of luck in your quest.

Not been an easy decision but have had to admit again the weight of Nikon gear is too much for me now, this is the 3rd time, should have this little lot tomorrow.
Having used the G9/100-400 combo for several months now I confidently predict you'll be happy as Larry with it.

As someone who uses a pair of GM5s I think you're quite wrong about that. I find the EVFs completely adequate.

I'm sure it's fine I meant in comparison to today's evf really. The one on the G80 is very good, and the G9 has apparently the best on the current market. These days I find myself using the LCD more than the evf anyhow, live view using LCD is as good as anyone needs nowadays where in the past it wasn't very reliable. I was shooting in the sun yesterday and had no problem composing using the LCD. I use the evf more so when I'm shooting something at slower shutter speeds or for more extreme close ups like macro. It adds extra stability and you can judge the sharpness and detail better - is this as possible on the older evfs like on the Gm5? I would say they're more for composition but not so much for checking detail ... but then I can only go by what I read - you have hands on experience.

Random comparison that was just posted today, as both cameras are out a few year now. He did the same with the G9 a while back and it held up very well, the GH5 is much the same, bar the obvious differences of FF vs M43 the Gh5 trumps it in some ways. There's advantages for each, depends on the type of shooter you are

I'm sure it's fine I meant in comparison to today's evf really.
Well the GM5 isn’t in the same class as the G9 (or the G2 for that matter) so I agree there. But it’s almost unique as a package. I have mine fitted with the Sigma art 30 and 60 lenses and find them as good as my Leica film cameras were for fast shooting. They weigh much less as well! :clap:

I've always been tempted by these and IMO Panasonic were mad to discontinue them. Anyway, a question... I think these have an electronic shutter and if I'm right how do they cope with banding under flickering artificial lighting?

Just found out I may be limited to electronic shutter myself on the GM5. So I have the same question, how is the banding on silent shutter?

My GM1 was quite bad for banding, it was first generation silent shutter technology so comparable read out time to the G6/GX7 so rolling shutter was bad as well. Mechanical shutter only works up to 125th of a second.

A few more points ; the mech shutter won't work with manual lenses (unless they're chipped) and electronic shutter stops at 1" second shutter speed. My issue with that was using the Samyangs at night for long exposures.

Probably my favourite small camera to hold, the buttons fell into place (even had an AF-S/AF-C-MF button, which I think Pana have dropped from the low end cameras), it feels like a small block of metal, good grip, etc. I sold mine for a Sony RX100 which doesn't even come close to how well the GM1 felt. It was also the first generation of Panasonic JPEG colours to look really nice, I actually preferred it to Olympus' of the time. Autofocus was just before DFD but still as good as it.

... I've talked myself into looking for one now.

My GM1 was quite bad for banding, it was first generation silent shutter technology so comparable read out time to the G6/GX7 so rolling shutter was bad as well. Mechanical shutter only works up to 125th of a second.

A few more points ; the mech shutter won't work with manual lenses (unless they're chipped) and electronic shutter stops at 1" second shutter speed. My issue with that was using the Samyangs at night for long exposures.

Probably my favourite small camera to hold, the buttons fell into place (even had an AF-S/AF-C-MF button, which I think Pana have dropped from the low end cameras), it feels like a small block of metal, good grip, etc. I sold mine for a Sony RX100 which doesn't even come close to how well the GM1 felt. It was also the first generation of Panasonic JPEG colours to look really nice, I actually preferred it to Olympus' of the time. Autofocus was just before DFD but still as good as it.

... I've talked myself into looking for one now.

rolling shutter does not bother me so much as banding issues. The other concern is the one with manual lens, since one of two lenses I am interested i.e. laowa 7.5mm is fully manual :-/

If you are interested I might know someone selling GM5 for £225 (if they still have it). I was going to buy it for myself but the shutter issues you mentioned means I am not sure if this'll work for me :(

rolling shutter does not bother me so much as banding issues. The other concern is the one with manual lens, since one of two lenses I am interested i.e. laowa 7.5mm is fully manual :-/

If you are interested I might know someone selling GM5 for £225 (if they still have it). I was going to buy it for myself but the shutter issues you mentioned means I am not sure if this'll work for me :(

Having a quick read, it seems the GM5 got an uprated shutter and can do 1/500th with mech. I've spent the last few minutes trying to find an example of the banding but can't seem to find them. I remember I couldn't shoot in my kitchen because of the lighting.

If I had a good manual lens like the Iaowa, I don't think I could live with the GM series for it, sadly.

Thanks for the offer, I'd be looking for a GM1, though.

edit - The more I think about it, the RAW is different in e-shutter as well. I think its 10 bit version the Mech shutter doing 12?

Last edited:
If the increase in size doesn't put you off too much you could take a look at the GX80, you can find used ones quite easily.

The GX80 has the new quiet shutter mechanism which cures shutter shock and it does of course have an electronic shutter for when you want to shoot silently and the lighting isn't an issue. Here's a size comparison to the GM5 and I've added the TZ100 which is a 1" sensor compact with a 25-250mm equivalent zoom...

https://camerasize.com/compact/#570,673,647,ha,t

I have one of these and I think they're excellent cameras. The only thing lacking is that you can't use exposure compensation in manual exposure mode. You have to go to the GX9 to get that. The TZ100 doesn't give you MFT image quality but the files do hold up well, it's obviously fixed lens though.

Some G90 specs leaked, plus an update of the 14-140 lens:
https://www.43rumors.com/ft5-first-leaked-panasonic-g90-specs/

Seems a subtle upgrade with an improved sensor [I guess the one from the Gx9] some new video features and better build quality ... hmmm, kind of shows how good the G80 is already as there's not a lot they can add without making it a slightly smaller GH5 really. Will have to wait and see the pricing. Looking at the dimensions it's a bit larger, just slightly than the G80, and looks to have the grip textures of the G9 which is an improvement as some of us have had peeling rubber grips with the G80 [Had to have my camera fully replaced over some build issues] - Not much info on the sealing, just says dust and drip proof, the G80 is already WR so not sure what difference there is on that.

Apparently the new 14-140 is also WR, which is sweet for anyone interested in that as an all-rounder lens.

Oh, and release date is expected to be May 23rd. I'm sure we'll see plenty more info on it before then

Last edited:
First video up featuring the G90/95:

The Face detect and general AF for video looks much snappier, overall IQ is cleaner and crisper too, surprising the difference in light! Is this a new back lit sensor of some kind?

This kind of video of course isn't interesting to us more photo-oriented peeps, but flick to about the 2min mark to see some obvious differences, watch for quick changes in AF speeds, and note the difference in light - both are using the same lens at the exact same settings. If AF is much better for video it's promising for photos too right?

Last edited:
I probably should have checked the rumour site first ... Holy crap! there's a tonne of new videos on there :D Will watch a few and report back for anyone interested but doesn't have time to watch them ;)

Back