"Panasonic G series" Owners Thread

Why Micro Four Loser is still a viable option [mostly for video, but witty as ever]
"Everyobody wants FF for low light, get a f'ing lighbulb you d*ckhead!" :ROFLMAO:

Anyone use a GF7?
Looking for something that my wife can use instead of her iPhone 5.
Can't be too bulky, and if she sticks to M43 we can share lenses.
This looks like a decent wee camera.
Body only on MPB for £119/£134

Just realised the GF7 has no viewfinder so that rules it out.
I don't want to spend too much as it may be a whim for her.
She just wants to take pics of the dog and grandkids.

The GX7 looks like not a bad camera.
Any thoughts?

Just realised the GF7 has no viewfinder so that rules it out.
I don't want to spend too much as it may be a whim for her.
She just wants to take pics of the dog and grandkids.

The GX7 looks like not a bad camera.
Any thoughts?

Much much better, you're getting into the more serious cameras now. I think it was the first to have IBIS? could be wrong, but it does have it and a much better shutter than the GF7 [that one only does 1/500th before switching to E-Shutter, pretty sure the GX7 goes to 1/4000 beforehand, it also has a better tilt screen and EVF

Much much better, you're getting into the more serious cameras now. I think it was the first to have IBIS? could be wrong, but it does have it and a much better shutter than the GF7 [that one only does 1/500th before switching to E-Shutter, pretty sure the GX7 goes to 1/4000 beforehand, it also has a better tilt screen and EVF
Thanks.
The GX does look like a much better camera.

The GX7 goes to 1/8,000 with the mechanical shutter. As far as I remember it doesn't switch to the electronic shutter automatically, I think you have to select it.

I have the GX80 and GX9 and they only go to 1/4,000 with the mechanical shutter but then automatically select the electronic shutter to go faster. I've yet to see any downside to this.

I've posted several times about the problems with some Panasonic cameras such as the G7 and GX7 I had and I'd only recommend these cameras to people who know about the possible shutter shock issue and go into this fully informed. I'm happy to recommend the GX80 and GX9 though. GX9 especially.

Well, in that case I'd save the extra and just get a used GX80. I'm pretty sure my old EM5 suffered from shutter shock too, it had a right 'clank' of a shutter and I found some of that double outline in some images I was sure I'd nailed. The GX80 is only £30 or so more on MPB

one from the wife yesterday using my old rig , Panasonic g80 and Leica 100-400 ,forgot how good this was for pseudo macro

hairy harry by jeff and jan cohen, on Flickr

Nice one.

Some of these Tele lenses are great for this purpose, the 55-250 Canon I'm using has a magnification of 1:3 and focus down pretty close [85cm] considering the focal length. That was one of the attractions of it for me, it's the type of lens that can do a good variety if it was the only one you had with you [apart from wide angle shots obviously] plus the cheap price. It has much better magnification for example than the 100-300 I had before, I think it even beats the 100-400 but of course with that you have much more reach.

Last edited:
Hmm. Not quite so pin sharp as some other shots on this "Birdy" forum though are they? Or is it just a VERY shallow depth of field?

Hmm. Not quite so pin sharp as some other shots on this "Birdy" forum though are they? Or is it just a VERY shallow depth of field?

If you're talking to me? This isn't the "birdy" forum, and there's a reason I didn't post them there - if you read back a bit you'd see I'm adapting a Canon lens to a Panasonic camera and just arsing about, never said I'd produce Nat Geo level results. Appreciate the criticism, but can you be more precise considering?

The G9 is proving interesting, due to lack of dexterity i can only easily use exposure compensation when its set on the front dial without pressing the button, normally i have a custom mode set to this.
Yesterday i went out without a custom mode set for this so should not have tried this shot, what i found interesting was how good the dual IS is for letting me keep an 800mm FOV on target allowing me to use the smallest focus box setting i got about 6 shots it was so steady.
Any way before dumping i decided to see what was in the image after bringing the exposure up.

P1000052b.jpg

P1000052.jpg

Anyone using the G9 for BIF, i am finding it an absolute failure for this, i have done BIF with the GX8,G80 and EM1MK11 but this thing has me beat.

Examples from the G80, i have my doubts the G9 will ever match it.

p1100876_38643633950_o.jpg

p1070502_33986102073_o.jpg

Even against a busy background the G80 holds its focus

p1060695_33379817514_o.jpg

Please prove me wrong as i like the G9 but not the frustration.

I'm having no obvious problems with my G9/100-400mm for aircraft. Focussing is fast and accurate and I'm a happy bunny.

Panasonic G9 8GB 06 P1010829.JPG

That could be to do with the subject size, i have tracked cars and dogs with it no problem.
What sort of pattern are you using for the focus sensors?

What sort of pattern are you using for the focus sensors?

Tried them all, can't say i have tried all combinations of settings that would take years.

The next time ime going to try zero on all these, again with all patterns

AF Sensitivity
AF Area Switching Sensitivity
Moving Object Prediction

Novel use of a shopping trolley, spotted last Saturday in Delft, Netherlands
Reckon they lost the 1 Euro deposit

P1003008 1.jpg

What are you thinking of switching to once sold? For what its worth, Ebay has a FVF of £1 this holiday!

I have a few ideas, I missed out on a Sony A7RII on here last week that I fancied trying, today almost went for an XH1 that was also going for a nice price. I'm forever missing good deals, a few weeks back I missed out on a G9 locally that went for €600 in the end!! I had the money like 2 days later :/ I've never really used ebay, just couldn't get the hang of it, have bought but not sold there

I have a few ideas, I missed out on a Sony A7RII on here last week that I fancied trying, today almost went for an XH1 that was also going for a nice price. I'm forever missing good deals, a few weeks back I missed out on a G9 locally that went for €600 in the end!! I had the money like 2 days later :/ I've never really used ebay, just couldn't get the hang of it, have bought but not sold there

I see! I would advise it, I'm sure it will work out okay! And there will probably be plenty of bargains after this £1 FVF offer for you to jump at! The market will be flooded!

Panasonic double cash back this weekend eg £300 on a G9

Whereabouts? because often it's only with sites or stores that are already pricier than the rest

[edit] I see it now, Wex etc are indeed inc. As opposed to buying from the likes of HDEW though you only save £100 [G9 for example] with a 35 day wait on that saving, but still good for those who prefer to buy non grey

Last edited:
A couple of contrasting images from today, both from the G80, first with an adapted Canon 55-250 STM with a Raynox 250 attached, second with the Olympus 12-40

Yes, another Ladybird, the buggers are everywhere lately! But I do like them, they're curious little bugs that actually like to come towards you when you're struggling to gain manual focus in that teensy DOF allowed. I'm actually thinking this one that does pose for me is the same one each time though I'm seeing loads of them [there was 3 others just near this one but they weren't playing ball]
Buggin' me! by K G, on Flickr

My daughter with our annoying yet playful Scout, they had been messing about on the floor and seemed they both wanted a little break when i took this candid, neither of them paying any heed to me, I just loved the simplicity of it
By the window by K G, on Flickr

Last edited:
Wanted a second body to go with my G9, decided as its double cash back will pick a G80 up tomorrow, enjoyed the last one I had and it may even be better for BIF than the G9.

Wanted a second body to go with my G9, decided as its double cash back will pick a G80 up tomorrow, enjoyed the last one I had and it may even be better for BIF than the G9.

or buy mine in classified :D it's like new

Because everyone knows you should keep it.

Ha, maybe so, just fancy trying something else for a bit, if that failed I could always come back with a G90

Here's what I've decided or still undecided to do - Keep the G80 and get a cheap FF body to muck about with, or trade the G80 in for a G9 and get a nice new lens ... this one is more so-so as there isn't an M43 lens I'm really yearning for atm and I don't think the G9 offers much more in terms of end IQ, it would be more for the ergonomics and some of the extra features are nice too. I'll mull over it until Tuesday either way. There's the third option to trade for a Fuji XH1 which I do really fancy

Last edited:
Ha, maybe so, just fancy trying something else for a bit, if that failed I could always come back with a G90

Here's what I've decided or still undecided to do - Keep the G80 and get a cheap FF body to muck about with, or trade the G80 in for a G9 and get a nice new lens ... this one is more so-so as there isn't an M43 lens I'm really yearning for atm and I don't think the G9 offers much more in terms of end IQ, it would be more for the ergonomics and some of the extra features are nice too. I'll mull over it until Tuesday either way. There's the third option to trade for a Fuji XH1 which I do really fancy
Keep the G80 and get a D700.
That's what I'm thinking about.
I love my G80, but fancy trying FF.

Keep the G80 and get a D700.
That's what I'm thinking about.
I love my G80, but fancy trying FF.

Nothing wrong with that, the D700 it was a great camera, I almost bought one years back but was lucky to get a bonus from work at the time and was able to buy the D800E when it had just come out. I had some nice lenses to boot too and was happy with that for about 4 years. The weight was killing me though, I had back surgery around the time too and often my camera bag was hitting 10kg - I know this because anytime I flew I would weigh it to make sure I could carry one. Had some hefty lenses like the 24-70, 70-200 VR and 300mm F4 and I think my bag alone was about 3Kg. If you are getting the D700 seriously consider the Sigma 35mm 1.4, that was my favorite lens for Nikon, so, so good ... though you may need the dock to go with to calibrate, one thing I hate about dslr! The other obvious choice IMO is the excellent 85 1.8G, just get it used, very good value and an extremely sharp lens.

I am seriously considering a Canon EOS RP along with keeping the G80. It makes sense, because I have a couple of Canon lenses that I adopt to the G80 as is, with an AF adapter. So any lenses I buy can be used for both [I would be using EF lenses for the RP mostly, [though may go for that juicy RF 35mm 1.8 macro at some stage] I put it off for ages because of all the bashing the RP gets online - but that's all from videographers, I don't care about video, and I don't care that the DR doesn't match a Sony! It will be very good at higher ISO, just as the 6DmkII is.

My other fancy is a Sony A7RII, but the lenses I would want for a Sony are pricier and though that camera would be like a D800E in mirrorless form + on steroids, the RP has touch screen as good as the G80, it has the flip out screen also and comes with an EF adapter from the off for about the price of the Sony A7RII body only. Tough decision, and no doubt I'll watch another 100 reviews before fully deciding, it's a bank holiday weekend so have the time to do so :)

But TL;DR, yup, I will be keeping the G80 for now. I also considered upgrading to the G9 and getting a new lens but tbh, when you really look into it, the G80 isn't missing all that much that the G9 offers. Sure it's a much nicer body and has the newer sensor, but I've watched dozens of side by side comparisons and there's very little in it

Back